Favorite Readers

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Favorite Readers

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

OK, I've probably had more really bad readers than really good readers at tournaments, but I still have a few favorites over my quizbowl career.

My senior year in HS I had Raj Dhuwalia read three rounds for my team (TJ B) in the preliminary round robin of PACE that year. He was probably the best combination of speed, clarity, and monotone that I had ever heard, which is exactly how I like it.

Allen Bristow, Maggie Walker class of 04, is also an awesome reader. I have heard him several times at gov tournaments over the years and he is plenty fast with good clarity, notably awesome at pronouncing Italian words.

Not many people will have heard of her, but Lian Duan, TJ class of 06, is probably my favorite HS student reader ever. She was wicked fast and very clear for the most part with a slight Chinese accent, but once you got used to the accent you couldn't miss a word.

So those are mine. Does anyone else here have any favorites? Let's try and stay off a negative vibe, arright?

EDIT: some sentence structure things
Last edited by No Sollositing On Premise on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Dwight Kidder. No contest. His speed and clarity are ridiculous.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
UFeng
Lulu

Post by UFeng »

Dwight Kidder is good, but I would have to include R. Hentzel and Eric Hilleman-who are simply awesome readers. I recall someone mentioning that in the 2004 ICT finals, R. got through 16 questions in the first half (or something like that). I do remember the pack finishing with about 2 minutes on the clock.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I think that Raj is probably the best moderator, IMHO. I also like Tom Michael's enthusiasm on NAQT packets. If you power a tossup, he screams "POWER TOSSUP" like a really cheesy gameshow host. It sounds lame, but you can't help but crack a smile when he does it.

UTC always has a crew of good moderators. I can only ever remember having one bad moderator at UTC, but that was at a college tournament - I really can't recall ever having a bad moderator at a high school tournament at UTC.

Also, there are a handful of really good mods in Alabama. Corey Rosenbloom reads at a lot of tournaments around here, and is probably our favorite "local" moderator. I'm gonna try and get him to volunteer to read at NAQT this year, if they'll have him.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
miamiqb
Lulu

Post by miamiqb »

raj is tops....great "gameshow" type voice. He also pauses at exactly the right moments, too many readers (including myself) have not mastered that.
There was also this guy at UF, Joe Grimes, who was pretty good.
I like to eat peanut butter
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I will give props to Lee Henry.. he isn't bad at all either..
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

A lot of tournaments around here have coaches read, but I've always liked it when Mr. Egan reads for us.

Also, all the guys (espcially Sudheer and Sorice) at UIUC are really good.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

At VHSL states there is a gentleman named Clay Clements. I believe he moderated the Group AAA finals last year. John Harris is also very good and has read at VHSL states (Group AA) and some of the Spotswood tournaments I've been to.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

Anybody remember the reader who was making a video/documentary at nationals? He also read at princeton last year and wore a pink shirt...
I have no clue what his name is, but he read fast and thats probably the best reader I've had so far. Jason from rutgers read at the rutgters tournament, and he was pretty good too.
Abhi Hendi
University Of Pennsylvania '10
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

insaneindian wrote:I have no clue what his name is...
His name's Greg Lindsay. He used to have an account here, I think.
My own favorite reader all time is probably Subash Maddipoti. I'm going to miss his mercilessly taunting me when I neg (which is, like, all the time.)

MaS
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

There was a guy from San Francisco reading upstairs at NAQT, and its sad I forgot his name. Had total command of the match, read fast, but was completely understandable ..... excelent pronunciation.

Before I heard him read, I was going to ask if I could take a try reading in a later match between two teams with really poor records. I never did ask, because it would have been a crime, and presumptuous on my part to even ask to read when he was available.

To second TrevKeeper, the UIUC folks were very good!

I'll throw the following out as some of my favorites, in no partcular order:

Bob Brown
Rob Grierson
Coach Reinstein
Coach Riley
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Tegan wrote:There was a guy from San Francisco reading upstairs at NAQT, and its sad I forgot his name. Had total command of the match, read fast, but was completely understandable ..... excelent pronunciation.
Matt Bruce, Ross Ritterman, or Gaius Stern, perhaps?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
LadyInBlack
Lulu

Post by LadyInBlack »

Mr. Tedrick from around the Sterling area, I believe, has always been a favorite with me, although I do support trevkeeper and Mr. Egan in their others mentioned above such as Mr. Egan, the UIUC guys, and so forth. And I'm not sucking up but: Mr. Laird has a rather good style himself.
Operative: "It's worse than you know"
Mal: "It usually is"
radiantradon
Lulu

Post by radiantradon »

I cast my vote for Dr. Chuck. Most moderators around here take things at a leisurely pace and fumble over words, so the speed and clarity was rather refreshing (for the one match I've played where Dr. Chuck was the moderator).
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

There's this one fella at Vanderbilt every year that does an excellent job reading. He's a big guy with red hair and he is a great combination of good speed and near perfect pronunciation. At NAQT Nationals I think we had Dwight Kidder once, and he was really good.

The one thing that really separates a good moderator from a great one is speed. Going too slow is painful and prevents you from getting in a rhythm, however, some readers like to pretend they're Busta Rhymes, and as such, the tossups have about as much clarity as a Busta Rhymes song. Just to make the qualifications for "good reader" clear: Good readers have a command of the rules in the format, pronounce most difficult words well (no, "Hold on, I'm just gonna spell it out for ya'll real quick.." moments), and keep the inter-question banter to a minimum.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

steven-lamp wrote:There's this one fella at Vanderbilt every year that does an excellent job reading. He's a big guy with red hair and he is a great combination of good speed and near perfect pronunciation. At NAQT Nationals I think we had Dwight Kidder once, and he was really good.

The one thing that really separates a good moderator from a great one is speed. Going too slow is painful and prevents you from getting in a rhythm, however, some readers like to pretend they're Busta Rhymes, and as such, the tossups have about as much clarity as a Busta Rhymes song. Just to make the qualifications for "good reader" clear: Good readers have a command of the rules in the format, pronounce most difficult words well (no, "Hold on, I'm just gonna spell it out for ya'll real quick.." moments), and keep the inter-question banter to a minimum.
In some cases, with moderators who can't pronounce, sometimes it is better for them to spell something out (in one case, I've seen it written on the blackboard) or have someone else read the question. These moderators suck and shouldn't be reading anyway, but at least they are somewhat considerate.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

DaGeneral wrote:These moderators suck and shouldn't be reading anyway, but at least they are somewhat considerate.
This doesn't necessarily mean they suck if they just do it once in awhile, but you are correct in saying that excessive alternate representation of words is a leading cause of poor moderation.

Alpha and Omega Bowl never forget :cry:
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

R. Hentzel and Frank Thomas
Zach Yeung
St. John's '08
Rice University '12
Biochemistry and Cell Biology and Political Science