CSWIFT, Charter School of Wilmington (DE)-1/24/15 [DATE CHG]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
maybe-mabelline
Lulu

CSWIFT, Charter School of Wilmington (DE)-1/24/15 [DATE CHG]

Post by maybe-mabelline »

Wilmington Charter is proud to announce it will be holding the Charter School of Wilmington Invitational Fall Tournament (CSWIFT) on Saturday, October 18, 2014 January 24, 2015.
The tournament is open to any high school or middle school team that wishes to attend. It will follow standard NAQT format and rules. We will be using a NAQT IS Set for the Varsity Division and a NAQT A Set for the JV division. We are going to cap each field at 32 teams.

NEW! This year we are going to try something different due to the growing interest in some middle school teams who would like to come to this tournament. We will be giving trophies to the top 3 middle school teams at the conclusion of the tournament. An advantaged final will be played between the top two middle school teams if the top middle school team finishes less than four spots above the next best middle school team. We suggest that all middle schools register for the Junior Varsity division to be eligible for the top middle school team award.
To register, please fill out this form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17unU6g ... =send_form
The form requires coaches or team members coming without a coach to write their email addresses, so all future updates or notifications about the tournament will be provided via email, as well as on this board. If you have any questions, either post on this board or send an email to [email protected]. We will answer all questions as promptly as possible.

LOGISTICS:
Wilmington Charter is located at 100 N. DuPont Rd, Wilmington, DE. Directions are here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chart ... 92e7465c8f
We will begin registration at 8 A.M., hold the morning meeting at 8:45 A.M., begin playing at 9 A.M, and hopefully finish at around 4 or 5 P.M.

FEES:
First team: $70
Subsequent teams: $60
Buzzer discount: -$10, cap of 4
Moderator discount: -$10, cap of 2
Traveling discount: -$10 per 40 miles traveled one way (The travel discount is usually only for those coming from 200+ miles away.)
Minimum price: $30 per team

Bring checks to the tournament and fill them out to Charter School of Wilmington.

edited to reflect change of date
Mabel D'Souza Wilmington Charter 2016
maybe-mabelline
Lulu

Re: CSWIFT, Charter School of Wilmington (DE)-10/18/14

UPDATE: This tournament shall be postponed with a new date to be announced. Unfortunately, October 18th did not work out, as other events are also taking place at the school. Sorry for the delay!
maybe-mabelline
Lulu

Re: CSWIFT, Charter School of Wilmington (DE)-10/18/14

Charter is now hosting CSWIFT on January 24th!
Magritte's Pipe
Lulu

Re: CSWIFT, Charter School of Wilmington (DE)-1/24/15 [DATE

Post by Magritte's Pipe »

Hi, is it possible if we could have an update on this tournament (i.e. number of teams registered, spots remaining, etc.)? I ask because I noticed that this tournament is not listed on NAQT's schedule. Is it still on? Is it still using NAQT questions and rules? Thanks.
Andrew Gianelli
Lancaster Catholic '00
Coach, Camp Hill High School Quiz Bowl Team
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

To the best of our knowledge, this tournament has been canceled.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Public service announcement: Don't do this, people!

Claiming dates and then backing off creates confusion among newer teams and takes dates from teams looking for weekends to host. This is something like the 3rd or 4th time this year that Charter team members have publicly posted a date for a tournament and then reneged, often with little acknowledgement or notice as the date approached. This is unprofessional and disrespectful to all other teams and hosts in the region.

Until a responsible adult comes forth with an official announcement and a clear plan for running a viable tournament, I recommend ignoring anything posted by Charter players regarding alleged plans to host a tournament.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Everything in the Whole Wide World
Wakka

Post by Everything in the Whole Wide World »

Having known this situation for a while, let it be known that I gave Charter several warnings to publicaly announce they had canceled the event, and nothing happened. I understand if room reservations and scheduling problems interfere with an event, but please make sure you have a designated person to take care of letting the community know what's going on.
Ben Herman
Henderson High School (2007-2011) [West Chester, PA]
University of Delaware (2011-2015)
Penn State University (2015-Present)
Co-Founder and Director, Greater Pennsylvania Quizbowl Resource
cswcoach
Kimahri

Post by cswcoach »

With apologies to the Quiz Bowl community:

Yes, CSWIFT is definitely canceled this year, due to scheduling issues and room reservations.

I do not know why this was not communicated here in a timely manner, but I can guarantee repercussions for my student leaders responsible.

Thank you.
Christopher Kramer
Math & Computer Science
Charter School of Wilmington