ACF Regionals 2006 Announcement and Call for Hosts

Old college threads.
Captain Sinico
Auron

ACF Regionals 2006 Announcement and Call for Hosts

Post by Captain Sinico »

ACF Regionals 2006 will be held on the weekend of February 4th, 2006 at various locations to be announced. I, Mike Sorice, will serve as chief editor. I will be assisted by Matt Lafer, Chris Romero, and possibly others. I can be contacted at [email protected], Matt at [email protected], and Chris at [email protected].

Parties interested in hosting a regional should contact Chris at their earliest convenience. In particular, we would like one host in each of the following traditional regions:
Lower Midwest
Mid-Atlantic
Northeast
Southeast
Upper Midwest
West
We are certainly willing to create further sites (Northwest, Canada, etc.) if demand for them exists. Please feel free to contact Chris with proposals to host in or requests for sites in other regions.

All A and B teams from schools that fielded a team for ACF Regionals 2004 or 2005 are required to submit acceptable packets of questions pursuant to the distribution and guidelines for this tournament. If any team wishes to compete without submitting a packet, they may do so at the cost of a $40 penalty, with our permission. Teams wishing exercise this option must contact me no later than January 13th.

Packet deadlines and accompanying fee adjustments are as follows:
December 23rd: -$30
January 6th: -$20
January 13th: +$0
January 20th: +$20

The broad distribution is the same as last year’s and is as follows:
Literature 5/5
History 5/5
Science 5/5
Religion/Myth/Philosophy 3/3
Fine Arts 3/3
Geography/Social Sciences 2/2
More Science, Lit, or History 2/2
Your Choice 1/1
A more specific subdistribution and formatting guidelines will be posted shortly, but these will not significantly deviate from last year’s. In addition to following the distribution, subdistribution, and formatting guidelines, questions must be written in accordance with Subash’s guidelines, available at http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~paik/acf/subash.html. ACF reserves the right to reject as unacceptable any packet that does not follow any of these stipulations. If you have questions as to the fitness of a proposed question or regarding the distribution or other question issues, please contact me. Please send completed packets to Matt.

Mike Sorice
Chief Editor, ACF Regionals 2006
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

ACF Regionals is less than ten weeks away. When can we expect an announcement on the locations?
Romero
Wakka

Post by Romero »

Thanks to Dan for that leadin...We apologize for the delay in this announcement.

The hosts (and contacts) shall be as follows:

Rutgers-New Brunswick
TD: Jason Keller
[email protected]

U of Chicago
TD: Bruce Arthur
[email protected]

U of Tenn-Chattanooga
TD: Charlie Steinhice
[email protected]

Stanford
TD: Eric Smith
[email protected]

Brandeis
TD: Dan Passner
[email protected]

Dallas
TD: Chris Romero
[email protected]

Mid-Atlantic will be announced shortly. We are also interested in finding one of more hosts in Canada.

We are ready to accept packet submissions at any time. Please send those to Matt Lafer at [email protected].

We hope to see all teams at ACF Regionals on Feb 4th.

Chris Romero

Sprayed Bruce's email with spam retardant. Anyone else want to be treated? - Admin
Last edited by Romero on Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Could you present our emails in a format not vulnerable to spambots? Thanks.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I've never found that I get any spam off this board, so I think it's safe to just plaintext your e-mail here. Have other people found otherwise?

Later,
MaS
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:I've never found that I get any spam off this board, so I think it's safe to just plaintext your e-mail here. Have other people found otherwise?

Later,
MaS
That just means that either:

1) Spambots have not yet discovered this forum
2) Spambots have not yet evolved a way to harvest emails from PHP-based forums.

Both of these will cease to be true at some point. It is a question of when, not if.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Is there going to be a mid-Atlantic host? Inquiring minds want to know.
DanTheClam
Lulu

Post by DanTheClam »

In light of the combining packets from the same region that took place at ACF Fall, shouldn't some rule be instituted about putting the region you're playing in at the top of your packet? Also, I second Greenstein - it'd be nice to know where we're playing.
Romero
Wakka

Mid Atlantic Host

Post by Romero »

Rutgers-New Brunswick will host the MidAtlantic ACF Regionals.

Email: jakeller-at-eden.rutgers.edu
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Packets have begun coming in for ACF Regionals, for which many thanks. To aid you all in your writing (and us in our editing, of course) and because various people have asked for the formatting info, I'd like to remind everyone that all the ACF guidelines are available at the official site. However, rather than using the old ACF formatting guidelines, we'd like to use the new ones, used for this past ACF Fall. These are as follows:
Eric Kwartler wrote:Packets must be submitted as Microsoft Word documents. The text should be in size 10 Times New Roman Font. Do not number your questions or use tabs or any other mechanism that can trigger auto-formatting in word except for smart quotes and apostrophes. Do not put page breaks between blocks of questions. Please sort your questions by category. The answers to tossups should be preceded by "ANSWER: " and should have the required portions in bold and underlined. Please do not use bold or underlining in any part of any question that is not the answer. Bonus parts should be preceded by [point value] , and answers should be treated as specified above for tossups. At the top of the packet please write the name of the institution you represent and the names of the packet authors in bold.
As a further aid, a sample packet exemplifying the formatting we're looking for will be posted shortly, along with subdistribution guidelines.
As always, any enquiries about packets or other issues appertaining to ACF Regionals can be directed to me at [email protected]. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Mike Sorice
Chief Editor, ACF Regionals
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

Links don't seem to be working...
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

Reposting URLs:

Subash's rules are at
http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~paik/acf/subash.html

(there was an extraneous period that got hyperlinked in)

the main ACF website is:

http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~paik/acf/

(case-sensitive, apparently)