Governor's School Academic Competition (GSAC) XIII

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
gsacdirector
Lulu

Post by gsacdirector »

For those of you who haven't received word yet, GSAC XIII will be held on December 10, 2005 at Maggie L. Walker Governor's School. This will be our annual house-written tournament of unrelated TU/B format, 20 questions per round, with 6 guaranteed rounds. Fees will be $50 for the first team and $40 for subsequent teams from the same school, with a -$10 discount for buzzer systems. Final registration deadline is December 5, 2005. For more information and registration forms, go to http://www.geocities.com/mlwgsbob. If you have any questions/comments/concerns, feel free to email me at [email protected] .

Hope to see you there!
Angela Zhu, Tournament Director
jbarnes112358
Tidus

field update

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Here is the latest field update. As you can see, we have a strong field in the making. Our Swiss pairings should provide for some competitive games no matter your team's experience or level of play. We expect the field to grow as several of the usual suspects are yet to register. If you would like to compete, or if you see any errors or omissions, contact our tournament director Angela at
[email protected]

School teams buzzers

Raleigh Charter 2 2
Gergetown Day 2 1
State College 2 0
Douglas Freeman 1 1
Blessed Sacrament 2 1
Parry McCluer 1 1
St. Christopher's 2 0
EC Glass 1 1
Godwin 2 0
Albemarle 1 1
Richard Montgomery 2 2
St Anne's - Belfield 1 1
Collegiate 2 1
Clover Hill 3 1

Total 24 13
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Here is the updated ( and even stronger) field for our Dec. 10 tournament:

I will edit this post as more information becomes available.

School teams buzzers

Raleigh Charter 4 2
Gergetown Day 2 1
State College 2 0
Douglas Freeman 1 1
Blessed Sacrament 2 1
Parry McCluer 1 1
St. Christopher's 2 0
EC Glass 1 1
Godwin 2 0
Albemarle 1 1
Richard Montgomery 2 2
St Anne's - Belfield 1 1
Collegiate 2 1
Clover Hill 3 1
Charlottesville 1 1
Princess Anne 2 ?
Centerville 2 1
TJ Sci Tech 3 1
Robinson 2 1
Covenant 1 0
Manchester 1 0
Henrico 2 1
Spotswood 2 1
Ocean Lakes 1 1

Total 43 21 +/-
Last edited by jbarnes112358 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
NotjustoldWASPs
Wakka

Post by NotjustoldWASPs »

jbarnes112358 wrote: TJ Sci Tech ? ?
We have registered 3 teams and a buzzer set....and we look forward to a very competitive and well-run tournament
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

I have heard that it will snow in Richmond on Friday, which may cause school cancellation. What contingency plans have been made in the event of snow?
Dave Porter,
Assistant coach in the Peninsula area
W&M (trash only) (2008-present)
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
Freeman HS President (2003-2005)
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

There is a possibility of wintry weather in Richmond Thursday night and Friday morning. They are fairly sure of some type of preciptation, but it may be mainly rain. We will not know until sometime Friday whether or not we will be allowed to host Saturday's tournament. If we do miss school on Friday, we still might be allowed to hold the tounament if it is determined that our sidewalks and parking lot will be clear on Sat. morning. Even if we are allowed to have the tournament, some of our teams may be precluded from attending due to weather in their areas.

Angela will be sending an e-mail to all coaches tonight with the weather warning. She will also be polling coaches on a possible date if we are forced to postpone due to insufficient turnout or due to administative mandates. Two possible backup dates are Dec 17 and Jan 7. Check here or our website http://www.geocities.com/mlwgsbob for updates.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Well, if you are forced to postpone, you'll probably attract a few other teams (namely, us). Would you allow more teams to register?
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

bigtrain wrote:Well, if you are forced to postpone, you'll probably attract a few other teams (namely, us). Would you allow more teams to register?

Well, if we are forced to postpone, I am sure we would let others register, especially since I suspect some currently registered teams would not be able to make the alternate date.
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

I am guessing that January 7 is the day of VHSL Districts for the Central Region districts (which do not have regular seasons). During my three years as a player, the first Saturday after the end of winter break was always the day of the Colonial District competition, and I am guessing that this year will be no exception (even though Carolyn Bush, the tournament director, has yet to make an announcement). Therefore, all Central Region schools wishing to play in District competition would be unable to send their A-teams.
Dave Porter,
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

No, I believe Carolyn Bush is going for later in January for the Colonial District. Her tentative date is Jan. 28 if I am not mistaken.
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

That is a change. I had not heard about that. Like I said, every year I played at Freeman, it was always that first Saturday, usually because most schools have exams the week before the 28th.
Dave Porter,
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

jbarnes112358 wrote:No, I believe Carolyn Bush is going for later in January for the Colonial District. Her tentative date is Jan. 28 if I am not mistaken.
I pinged her about this year's District tournament -- she said it would be Jan. 21. She has regions set for Feb. 11.

Dr Barnes, would it be possible to lobby your AD to have either -- or both -- to be set during the week, starting with the 2006-07 season? A regular season -- or at least 2-4 3-5 match meets -- would be nice, but I imagine the "twice-a-year" schools would and have opposed such.

I see no reason, unless procuring officials is a problem, why the Central Region could not have its Scholastic Bowl competitions during the week. It seems to work well in the Eastern Region, which seems to be about the same size and urban density.

Region B, Region C and the Northwestern Region, unfortunately, are simply too big, geographically, to have their Regional tournaments anytime *but* a Saturday.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

StPickrell wrote:Dr Barnes, would it be possible to lobby your AD to have either -- or both -- to be set during the week, starting with the 2006-07 season? A regular season -- or at least 2-4 3-5 match meets -- would be nice, but I imagine the "twice-a-year" schools would and have opposed such.

I see no reason, unless procuring officials is a problem, why the Central Region could not have its Scholastic Bowl competitions during the week. It seems to work well in the Eastern Region, which seems to be about the same size and urban density.
If I may step in for a moment speaking only for myself: it's nice to see VHSL Scholastic Bowl emerging where there previously were no tournaments at all in the far east and west of the commonwealth. However, in regions where there is a normal invitational season it can be very inconvenient for teams to be adding regular after-school trips all over town to everything else that high school students do, especially when they are already devoting most of their weekends to this activity. The during-week league concept is terribly antithetical to the development of normal invitational quizbowl, and with rare exceptions, just isn't suited for places where said normal circuit already exists.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2266 Matt, we can continue discussion -- along with anyone else who cares to participate, in this thread.

I was suggesting that the Central Region hold their District and Regional tournaments, which are currenly held on Saturdays, during the week. This would free up Central Region teams to attend more tournaments.

While a regular season in the Central and Northern Regions would be a nice thing, it would not be worth the collapse of the tournament circuit; I honestly do not believe this would be the result, however. [/url]
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Okay it seems that most of the teams will be there tomorrow. We will probably have around 36 to 38 teams. State College had to cancel due to the weather. St. Chris had to cancel for reasons unrelated to weather. A couple of other teams adjusted the number of teams they were bringing. But all-in-all the weather didn't hurt us as bad as we had feared. We will surely miss State College, however.