Modern World Tournament - Post-NSC Mirror

Old college threads.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Modern World Tournament - Post-NSC Mirror

Post by AKKOLADE »

I sure hope that nothing is being planned to run until Saturday at midnight.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Nobody is seriously proposing running this on Saturday night. But given the fact that every other side event I've ever played has been able to squeeze into one night, I can't imagine i was the only one to assume that this tournament would take place on Sunday night, with the talk of "possibly Monday morning" being a low probablity, emergency event.

What makes the TD think that we can't fit this into Sunday night?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

The whole point of this tournament even existing was that it would run on Memorial Day in the first place - there'd be no reason to have a full tournament elsewise.

If the tournament happens to finish on Sunday - great! But I don't see any reason to accommodate people not expecting this schedule, especially when it was announced upfront and has precedent.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

There are multiple posts in this thread dealing with the tournament concluding on Monday; also, dozens of people booked flights for Monday afternoon because they were expecting to play a tournament Monday morning. I'd strongly prefer not going until midnight on either Saturday or Sunday and sticking with the announced schedule of Sunday evening and Monday morning, finishing around or shortly after noon on Monday.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey guys:

This set is 13 full tossup/bonus packets long, so it will take longer than a traditional "side event" to run. PACE reserved space to run it as a Sunday evening to Monday morning event and the operators of this tournament applied for the slot on those terms. The event is being run in separate rooms that are not the same as the regular NSC rooms, and after last year (when buzzers went missing because random people not authorized by the tournament absconded with them from game rooms to the hotel to run a side tournament) PACE has prohibited the moving of any buzzers mid-tournament, or the use of the hotel rooms it is paying for, to run Saturday night side events.

Most importantly, the various members of PACE are very busy with making sure the actual 96-team national tournament that we are running in four days goes smoothly and are not interested in dealing with the fact that Bruce's anonymous friend signed up for a tournament that was announced from the start as taking place on Monday and now "might" not be able to come on Monday.

In summary, the tournament is not moving and any further discussion of moving it will be a complete waste of your energy and this site's bandwidth.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I should be able to bring a buzzer.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

May I suggest that we order food during the tournament? That'll speed things up.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

My brother and I are out
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
The Kirk Store Called
Lulu

Post by The Kirk Store Called »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:May I suggest that we order food during the tournament? That'll speed things up.
I second this.

Also, another topic for people to debate. Will actually raised an interesting point - since the tournament is running right after PACE and presumably using PACE moderators, it'd be possible to run the tournament (at least the mirror after PACE) with bounce-backs without worrying about endless moderator screw-ups.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea - but I'm not actually playing the tournament so I'd like to hear what other people think about this.

Edit: Also if anyone is curious, we finished playtesting the tournament yesterday and it is now fully packetized and edited.
Last edited by The Kirk Store Called on Wed May 21, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Running Out of Jing
Mission San Jose High School '10, Dartmouth College '14
A bad, bad man
Cody

Post by Cody »

kroeajueluo wrote:Also, another topic for people to debate. Will actually raised an interesting point - since the tournament is running right after PACE and presumably using PACE moderators, it'd be possible to run the tournament (at least the mirror after PACE) with bounce-backs without worrying about endless moderator screw-ups.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea - but I'm not actually playing the tournament so I'd like to hear what other people think about this.
Nope.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

The last NSC-weekend open tournament used bouncebacks and was pretty amusing; I wouldn't be opposed to doing that again.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

kroeajueluo wrote: Also, another topic for people to debate. Will actually raised an interesting point - since the tournament is running right after PACE and presumably using PACE moderators, it'd be possible to run the tournament (at least the mirror after PACE) with bounce-backs without worrying about endless moderator screw-ups.
Nope.

Also, can you guys please figure out exactly who is in the final field, devise a final list of moderators, email participating teams to get finalized rosters, pick a meeting place, etc. so as to assure that this runs smoothly and quickly after Sunday's awards ceremony ends? These sorts of tasks can cause huge delays if left to the moments before a tournament.

Also, people posting fake names on the spreadsheet: Stop doing that!
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Wed May 21, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Yeah, this is a side tournament; I and presumably many other people will not be a part of this if it in any way detracts from the ability to run NSC as efficiently as possible.

I will say that ordering food Sunday night to save time makes a whole lot of sense though. And second Matt's call for the coordinators (Will?) to get shit together and not wait until NSC is under way to do so, thus wasting more time. If you guys are less than enthusiastic about the prospect of TDing, there is a whole tournament's worth of people who are good at that stuff, so I'm sure you can find some help.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
The Kirk Store Called
Lulu

Post by The Kirk Store Called »

I also do not like the idea of playing on Saturday, though 40% of my sentiment comes from the fact I have other things I want to do that Saturday night.

Edit: The idea of ordering food seems to be picking up steam; people should throw out suggestions of what kind of food to order.
It's Running Out of Jing
Mission San Jose High School '10, Dartmouth College '14
A bad, bad man
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

kroeajueluo wrote:I also do not like the idea of playing on Saturday, though 40% of my sentiment comes from the fact I have other things I want to do that Saturday night.
As has been noted above, what anyone does or does not like about the idea of playing on Saturday is patently irrelevant. No NSC buzzer, room, or staffer is permitted to be involved in any side event in the middle of the tournament (which includes Saturday night), including this one.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Bouncebacks don't make sense because they will cause a tournament that already has a high likelihood of running late to run even later.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Ignore what I said earlier about the possibility of running this tournament on Saturday (which I would strongly not prefer) - that is not going to happen. This tournament will be run on Sunday and on Monday morning, as originally planned. Bouncebacks will NOT happen, either, due to time concerns.

I personally am not a particularly experienced TD but I am entirely willing to run this tournament, create schedules, order food, etc. If people are not comfortable with me doing so, then I wouldn't mind asking someone else, but I'm perfectly willing to do the work.

There is a section in the spreadsheet that asks for the team's representative email, and I'll ask existing teams to finalize their rosters before the NSC actually starts. I will send an email out to already-formed teams tomorrow, and if I don't have a representative email, I will contact each member of that team via the email linked to their forums account. If you don't have a team listed by Saturday night and are still on the free agents list and want to play, we will randomly assign you to a team (including new ones we create) and contact you.

I am going to be contacting people who are staying for Sunday night at the PACE hotel. I'm also lowering the cap to 12 teams until the point at which we have sufficient staff for the current number of teams (including free agents, there are 43 people listed on the spreadsheet, so we'd need at least 6 people). Alternatively, if we get an odd number of teams, we can ask people to help out on their bye round, though obviously I would rather not do that.

I will be ordering pizza before the tournament starts for the staff. The buy-in for non-staffers will be $6, so we can order sufficient pizza in accordance with the law of pizza wormholes.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Cody

Post by Cody »

If this is starting right after NSC ends, why do we even need to order food? Won't people have just eaten lunch? This should be starting with a few hours left until dinner. Dinner should be put off until a separate time and a short break will easily suffice since there are plenty of quick eateries close by (unlike in, say, Chicago).
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Post by Frauny Von Smiley »

In the off chance that people are still looking for teammates at this point, I'm available to play on a team or staff if need be.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Sean, if we don't have staffing needs, I can assign you to one of the randomly-generated free agent teams if you'd like
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Post by Frauny Von Smiley »

Thanks, that would be great.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

What time is this projected to end on Monday?
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

This is projecting to end by about 1:00 on Monday, when games will start at 8AM.

Referring to this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... _web#gid=0

This tournament will be run as a round robin, with the first seven games being played on Sunday night and the rest played on Monday morning, starting at 8AM. We will be meeting in the room in which the PACE finals (if they happen) are played; otherwise, we will meet in the room that the staff meeting was held today. I would like to have the meeting as soon as the finals are over, and for games to start roughly half an hour after, allowing some time to go grab food if you're not buying into the pizza order.

If your team is highlighted in green, I have spoken in person to a representative of your team and confirmed your team's roster. If your team is NOT highlighted in green, then your roster is subject to change, especially if for some reason the free agents listed do not show up to play.

If we have five confirmed staffers for Monday (I have five confirmed for Sunday, but I don't know how to contact Sahrudh and several people who are staying the night Sunday have not responded to me) by the time the tournament starts tomorrow, then players will not need to staff. Until then, I am fixing the size of this tournament at 11 teams, because I'll need teams to help staff on their bye round.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:We will be meeting in the room in which the PACE finals (if they happen) are played; otherwise, we will meet in the room that the staff meeting was held today. I would like to have the meeting as soon as the finals are over, and for games to start roughly half an hour after
I'm not playing but for the sake of those who are, you should clarify if you mean "finals", "all-star game", or "awards ceremony". Unless you mean the last of those, you are not meeting in the room in which the PACE finals are happening, because all three are running consecutively in the same location (namely Grand Ballroom EFG).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I should clarify, then: we will be meeting after all of those events take place, in Grand Ballroom EFG.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Cody

Post by Cody »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:I would like to have the meeting as soon as the finals are over, and for games to start roughly half an hour after, allowing some time to go grab food if you're not buying into the pizza order.
I will again point out that NSC is supposed to end pretty early (4:30 with the possibility of it being up to an hour earlier depending on the Finals situation). Even at 4:30, there is little reason to grab food when lunch ended only 3 hours prior - who is going to being eating dinner at such an early time? Can they wait until, say, 7? Yes, they can.

Instead, we should start promptly and go through some number of rounds (maybe 5-7, depending on the time we start / times round take) then break for food. This allows you much more control over the time people return. Or you could even tell people to eat a big lunch, and run as many of the rounds as feasible before concluding for the night, having people get dinner then. Literally anything but the current plan is probably better.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

So with a 1 game final at 1:30, followed by awards and the all star game and a half hour delay, is it reasonable to expect this to begin around 3:30?
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

I think 3rd place match is at 1:30, followed by finals at 2 and everything else, so 4 is more realistic.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

This event got through seven rounds (of a nine-game, ten-team round robin) between 4:30 and 9:30 PM without break when the executive decision was made to suspend rounds for the day rather than keep pressing through. Several teams (a clear majority, from what I gather) have since communicated with Will that they are not intending to come back tomorrow, even if games are offered. I'm sure more will be said later, once people are rested and/or amped up enough to write on the Internet, but this tournament was a very clear disappointment in many ways, most prominently in its logistics, its extremely vain and spotty question quality, and the very bizarre issues of tone and failures to distinguish between fact, joke, opinion, and unnecessary borderline-offensive asides which saturated the set.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Cody

Post by Cody »

FUCK YOU KIRK JING

Thank you sincerely to some of the moderators of this tournament, specifically Sarah (moderating on a little sleep and a lot of hunger & headache), Haohang (thanks!), and Joelle (sorry again!).
Last edited by Cody on Mon May 26, 2014 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

Some teams are still planning on continuing this in the morning. If you want to keep playing, show up in room 1232 at 10:00.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Cody

Post by Cody »

women, fire and dangerous things wrote:Some teams are still planning on continuing this in the morning. If you want to keep playing, show up in room 1232 at 10:00.
NO DON'T
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I recall once reading an old a.c.c-b post that compared a tournament to Goldschlager vomit--a few flecks of gold, but by and large a big pile of the grossest, most awful stuff possible. That simile seems apt here.

This was the most self-indulgent shitshow I've ever played, and I'm given to understand that the vast majority of the objectionable questions* are attributable to Kirk Jing. As such, it was exactly what anyone could've predicted months ago--trollish reactionary political opinions and conspiracies presented in the guise of fact and an undoubtedly 4-chan-inspired obsession with being "offensive" in the stupidest, most internetty ways (casual racism and sexism abound, FUCKING HILARIOUS AM I RIGHT).

I would not advise high schoolers to play this tournament at any future mirrors, and I would not advise anyone to play it unless you're in a mood to make dismissive wanking motions for hours, or are unduly amused by "HURR HURR OBAMA!!"-level humor.

Fuck you, Kirk Jing.

*(which, to be fair, were not 100% of the experience; there were a number of interesting and amusing questions by other authors, and I'm led to believe that the rounds of the tournament we've not yet heard will contain more of those)
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Several teams are planning to gather at the hotel tomorrow to play the rest of the packets out, starting at 10:00 AM. I will not be involved in this. As soon as they are in my possession, I will upload stats from the first seven rounds.

I was responsible for the authorship of less than 25% of this set's questions, which of course does not mean I am entirely without blame, but I will claim that I did not write any of the questions that people at this tournament seemed to find rather offensive. However, I will [obviously and fully] take the fall for any and all organizational issues with this tournament, as that was entirely my responsibility. In my defense on the logistical side, this tournament was played by the people who intended to play it, where we meant for it to be played, roughly when it was supposed to start. That's obviously not up to any sort of acceptable standard, and I apologize for that.

I'm sorry that people did not enjoy the tournament. I hope that tournaments that I work on in the future are better appreciated by the quizbowl community.

In Kirk's defense, I will say that a not-unsubstantial number of the questions that people enjoyed/found interesting were written by him.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Mon May 26, 2014 1:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Now that I've gotten that out of my system:

Thanks to Will Alston, Joelle Smart, Haohang Xu, Gaurav Kandlikar, and especially a dead-tired Sarah Angelo for staffing for us, thanks to Ryan Rosenberg, Auroni Gupta, and Carsten Gehring for playing with me, and thanks to Will Alston, Nick Jensen, and stopped-clock Kirk Jing for writing often-entertaining questions not ripped from the headlines of WorldNetDaily. Perhaps a kinder metaphor for this tournament would be, say, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank--certainly not describable as "good", but it's got some bright spots and if you want to get together with some friends and make fun of something as you suffer through it, you can absolutely do the hell out of that.

No goddamn way high schoolers should be playing this, though.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Cody wrote:
women, fire and dangerous things wrote:Some teams are still planning on continuing this in the morning. If you want to keep playing, show up in room 1232 at 10:00.
NO DON'T
If you guys want, we have Tall Oaks, North Point, and Hunters Woods down on the second floor of the hotel until 5pm tomorrow. That probably would work better for actual game rooms.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Thanks to everyone who played and staffed this tournament yesterday for making it an enjoyable experience. The set obviously was pretty terrible from an objective standpoint, but I had a lot of fun slogging through it with you all.

While the majority of this tournament was Kirk Jing-written shitty questions, there were a not-insignificant number of decently interesting and appropriate questions (mostly written by Will and Nick Jensen). A suggestion for an HSNCT mirror, then: if you were to cull the good questions from this set, you'd probably have 3-5 packets worth of questions that could be played as shootout, which would be a much better way of experiencing this set than I had yesterday.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Though I didn't play it, I am curious as to how this set got through in its present form after playtesting?
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

As one of the playtesters for this set, I'll just say that I think the playtesters offered as much feedback as we could. There wasn't a lot of us and we weren't at every reading--we pointed out some of the weaker ideas or difficulty issues, but I think a lot of us also accepted the tournament's main focus (like, it was pretty obvious to me in playtesting that the East Asian focus, including anime, was excessive, but I just accepted that as the tournament's quirk). I'll admit I don't quite know what the misogny or racism things are (necessarily) referring to, but I also didn't hear every question and there were a few questions I zoned out on.

I was aware this tournament had a conservative bent to it--I think some of the playtesters suggested there were too many conservative asides, but I don't know how much of this got changed.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Chimango Caracara
Wakka

Post by Chimango Caracara »

Hi everyone,

I'm very sorry that this tournament was such an unpleasant experience. While I am gratified to hear that people apparently liked at least some of my questions, I do feel responsible for failing to fix all the problems with other questions in the set. I spent a long time editing Kirk's questions for grammatical clarity, but for the most part my efforts to make substantive changes to content (for example, by reducing the number of anime-related clues and removing references to things that had already come up in other questions) were met with resistance. Although several questions expressed views that I found pretty cringeworthy, I made the judgment call not to try to remove political and social commentary (except when Kirk altered my questions to contain opinions that I disagreed with, which to his credit only happened one time that I can recall). That was probably a mistake.

I think the problems with our editing process might be instructive. We didn't really have a head editor, so we had a lot of arguments about both individual questions and the tournament as a whole. I deferred to Will and Kirk in most cases because it was originally their tournament (initially, Will just asked me to write a few questions on contemporary literature, but I later wrote more questions on additional topics and started to edit others because I saw a lot of problems with them). I also think there should have been a clearer subdistributional pattern beyond the different regions and "cultural" and "political/economic" from the beginning to avoid favoring certain topics (e.g. anime, food) over others (e.g. TV, sports).

I'm not exactly sure how the final packetizing ended up because Kirk apparently made a copy of all the packets earlier in the week to prevent me from continuing to access the final versions, but as I understand it the last few packets in particular have a pretty high percentage of non-Kirk questions. In Kirk's defense, I will say that I found a lot of his questions to be interesting and that I did feel good about many of them, especially since in some cases I was able to add a few clues.

In general, I know that the Dartmouth team is not very popular in the quizbowl community for a variety of reasons, many of them good, and I'm sorry that this has turned out to be another strike against us. Researching clues for this tournament exposed me to a lot of interesting things about other countries and I was really hoping that players would find it to be an enjoyable learning opportunity as well, so again I'm sorry that that did not turn out to be the case.

-Nick
Nick Jensen
UC Davis Microbiology Graduate Group 2017-2022
Dartmouth College 2011-2015
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I will say that the playtesters did an excellent job offering feedback and were in general awesome to work with.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

I will definitely second Rob's comments to the effect that a significant handful of questions in this tournament -- I'd say 3/3 or 4/4 per packet -- were earnestly much cooler than standard NAQT current events fare without having major problems, and it's my hope that the questions to that effect (is the set clear so I can point some out?), plus their predecessors in Cane Ridge Revival, will blow open a round of interesting, creative writing about contemporary trends on our Earth. In general, I think the non-American questions in this set were much better at being interesting in this way than the questions about American current events, which are largely susceptible to the same critiques levied against NAQT current events for being, generally speaking, relatively-uninteresting lists of names (with the added issues listed above, particularly in bonuses).
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Mon May 26, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

I wasn't at every playtesting session so, like Mike, I'm not totally sure where the whole racism/misogyny stuff is coming from. As far as question content, there was really only one question that I strongly opposed, but I'm 99.5% sure that was dealt with. (EDIT: It wasn't. :/) I mostly listened to the trash, and while some stuff did feel uncomfortably trashy and certain topics were asked more often than others, I didn't think it would turn out as badly as it seemed to have did last night.

I didn't keep track of who wrote what but I did feel like the questions I heard in the later playtesting sessions (which I'm assuming were the questions being used in the later packets) were a little more enjoyable to play on than the ones I heard in earlier sessions.
Last edited by pajaro bobo on Mon May 26, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
hydrocephalitic listlessness
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by hydrocephalitic listlessness »

Like Alex and Mike, I playtested and wasn't at every session. I pretty much agree with what they've already said--I remember suggesting to Kirk and Will that they scale back the conservative asides and the inaccessible Asian culture clues, and thinking that a handful of the international politics questions were vaguely clued and impossible before giveaway, but most of this tournament's questions were playable, and many were interesting and fun.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

If the playtesters gave "excellent ...feedback" but the problems which they repeatedly pointed out during playtesting weren't resolved, what sorts of suggestions from them were actually enacted, and how were their contributions to the final form of the tournament actually treated? Playtesting needs to be geared towards improving a set, and if the comments of the people playing it go ignored, you're just giving an audience a sneak preview, rather than earnestly testing your product by playing it out to see how it works. Obviously, any editing team should use some discretion to filter out comments which are extraneous or misguided (i.e. a very good specialist claiming a question is too easy because they got it early), but I honestly don't understand what constructive things the writers of this tournament thought they got from the playtesting experience.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I mean I don't want to make it seem like we playtesters were infallible dudes who were brusquely ignored. As I said, I accepted a lot of the quirks of this set (the conservatism, the East Asian-iana), ignored some stuff that I didn't feel qualified to weigh in on, and tried to improve the stuff that was improvable. That's not exactly the most thorough playtesting attitude in the world, so I'll admit I could have been more aggressive here.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

I agree with the other playtesters, I don't really remember any casual racism or misogyny in the set and didn't find the political opinions particularly bad with a few exceptions. I tried to comment more on difficulty issues and vanity questions, so I apologize for overlooking some of the bigger problems in the set.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

what if this is all just a false flag operation to make kirk jing sound bad
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I do want to clarify that I don't blame any of the problems here on the playtesters. The insane East-Asiania focus was entirely expected, as was the conservative trolling (the latter probably to a lesser extent than it actually happened, but it wasn't a surprise in any case). Most of the "offensive" content was less truly offensive than it was just tiresome and unfunny--lots of "that fucking OBAMA am I right", more than one instance of "hee hee hee I'm saying the N-word", that sort of thing. Too much stuff that thought it was many orders of magnitude funnier than it actually was.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yeah, the playtesters aren't at fault here. No matter how much feedback they could've given, there's no way it could've improved this abortion of a tournament that much.

For example, you can't just decide to not accept correct answers under the truly idiotic guise of "Taiwan calls itself the Republic of China, so you always have to prompt on China". That's not how quizbowl works, and that was SOMEHOW not the most annoying bullshit presented by this . . . thing.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.