TJIAT at Longfellow MS, Falls Church VA (w/ TJHSST)-04/05/14

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TimeDerivativeOfWork
Kimahri

TJIAT at Longfellow MS, Falls Church VA (w/ TJHSST)-04/05/14

Post by TimeDerivativeOfWork »

We would like to announce that Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology and Longfellow Middle School will be co-hosting our spring tournament TJIAT (Thomas Jefferson Invitational Academic Tournament) on April 5, 2014 at Longfellow Middle School in Falls Church, VA. The tournament will use the NAQT IS-134 question set, a regular difficulty high school set. We are aiming for a field of between 10-20 teams, although our final field cap will depend on staffing/logistical constraints.

Logistics:
Longfellow’s address is 2000 Westmoreland St, Falls Church, VA 22043. Registration will begin at 8:00 am, with the opening meeting starting at 9:00. Breakfast (coffee, bagels, juice) will be provided. Since there are not many eateries within walking distance of Longfellow, we plan to sell pizza during lunch or to let teams indicate a pizza order at registration.

Fees:
Registration fees per team:

$70 for schools that regularly participate in pyramidal quizbowl
$40 for schools that are new to pyramidal quizbowl

Discounts:

-$10 for a moderator with experience reading for pyramidal quizbowl tournaments
-$10 for teams traveling over 200 miles
-$5 per fully functional buzzer set (at least 8 working buzzers)

We can accept registration fees through cash or check. Checks should be made payable to TJHSST-Quizbowl with your school’s name and Registration Fee in the memo line. We would prefer that teams bring payment on the day of the tournament, but mailing in advance is fine as well. Anything sent via mail should be addressed to TJHSST Quizbowl c/o Jennifer Seavey at  6560 Braddock Road, Alexandria, VA, 22312.

There is no minimum team size, but team rosters are limited to six players. If you plan to bring more than six players, you must register a second team.

Affiliation:
TJIAT has received Platinum certification from PACE. The top 25% of the field will qualify for the PACE NSC to be held May 24-25 2014 at the Hyatt Regency in Reston, VA.

Signup:
Sign up on our website. A field update can be found here; there will be a field update in this post as well. Registrations can be changed here here.

Any questions can be directed to the Thomas Jefferson quizbowl officers at [email protected]. We hope to see you all in April!
Last edited by TimeDerivativeOfWork on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Justin Yum
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology 2015
harborseal
Lulu

Re: TJIAT at Longfellow MS, Fairfax VA (w/ TJHSST) on 04/05/

Post by harborseal »

Current Field: 18
Annandale (1)
Charter School of Wilmington (2)
Culpeper County High School (1)
GDS (1)
Gonzaga (1)
Langley (1)
Longfellow (2)
Loudoun County (1)
"PGCPS" (1)
South County (1)
Southern Fulton HS (2)
South Lakes (1)
St. Anselm's (2)
Walter Johnson HS (1)
Last edited by harborseal on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
harborseal
Lulu

Re: TJIAT at Longfellow MS, Falls Church VA (w/ TJHSST)-04/0

Post by harborseal »

TJIAT has received Platinum certification from PACE. The top 25% of the field will qualify for the PACE NSC to be held May 24-25 2014 at the Hyatt Regency in Reston, VA.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

We're about a month out from TJIAT with a current field of 15 teams. We'll likely cap the total at 20 so if you're interested in registering sign up soon! It's great to see so much interest from newer teams in the NoVa area.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

With a little less than a month to go we're nearing our field cap of 20 teams. Please get your registrations in by March 29th, and act fast, we don't have a lot of space left.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

We've reached our field cap of 20 teams. Any further teams who would like to register will be placed on a waitlist - due to space constraints it's unlikely we'll be able to open the field to new teams, but it's possible the cap may rise to 24.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

Robinson and Washington-Lee have both dropped, so with only a week out we have an open spot in the field. If we could get one more team to register that would be great!
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
VinaiRachakonda
Lulu

Post by VinaiRachakonda »

Hi guys:

PGCPS, a team composed of ER quizbowlers technically unaffiliated with the school on Saturday, is signed up and ready to go.
Vinaichandra Rachakonda
Eleanor Roosevelt High School Quiz Team
Class of 2016
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

VinaiRachakonda wrote:Hi guys:

PGCPS, a team composed of ER quizbowlers technically unaffiliated with the school on Saturday, is signed up and ready to go.
Apologies, I've been forgetting to update the field here. We're at 18 teams and set for Saturday. Also, in case this wasn't self-explanatory, TJIAT will be a qualifying event for HSNCT nationals in May. The top 15% of the field will qualify for HSNCT.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
TimeDerivativeOfWork
Kimahri

Prelim stats are now available here.
Justin Yum
Remembered Guy
Lulu

Post by Remembered Guy »

Why is GDS credited with two consecutive wins over Gonzaga? You should fix that.
Ben Koppel
Richard Montgomery '15
Carleton College '20
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Post by Off To See The Lizard »

B-Rob and Hemingway- showing the way wrote:Why is GDS credited with two consecutive wins over Gonzaga? You should fix that.
They played a tiebreaker on a half packet.

Charter A went undefeated and beat WJ in an advantaged final to take first place. GDS took third. Thanks TJ for running a fun tournament
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

Charter A defeated Walter Johnson in an advantaged final. The top six ended up being Charter A, Walter Johnson, GDS, Loudoun County, Langley, and St. Anselm's A. Charter, WJ, and GDS qualify for HSNCT and Charter, WJ, GDS, Loudoun, and Langley all qualify for NSC, if that still matters to any of those teams.

Thank you to everyone who came to TJIAT - I had a great time today, I hope you guys did too. Apologies for the overly long lunch (given that Annandale decided not to come back at all we could have actually started closer to 1:00, but oh well). It's been fun TDing quizbowl tournaments for the last two years, hopefully by 2016 TJ will be back hosting tournaments in our own shiny new building.

Justin will be getting playoff stats up soon. Combined stats may or may not happen based on whether I can get the SQBS files to cooperate.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
TimeDerivativeOfWork
Kimahri

The promised playoff stats are now available here. I'm still working on trying to get combined stats up/get SQBS to cooperate.

I would also like to thank everyone who came, and express hope that they enjoyed TJIAT 2014 and could continue to come to TJ tournaments in the future.
Justin Yum
VinaiRachakonda
Lulu

Hey guys,

PGCPS actually won 3 matches in the playoffs. We beat south lakes and it is currently recorded as a loss. Can that be changed?

Thanks
Vinaichandra Rachakonda
Class of 2016
Jcarlson
Lulu

Post by Jcarlson »

Thank you for running a great tournament! It was very well run and our teams had a wonderful time.
Jaimie Carlson
Charter School of Wilmington '14
Quizbowl Team Captain
HSNCT '12, '13

"There is a thin line between weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." -Night Vale Radio

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." -Douglas Adams
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

VinaiRachakonda wrote:Hey guys,

PGCPS actually won 3 matches in the playoffs. We beat south lakes and it is currently recorded as a loss. Can that be changed?

Thanks
I'm currently in Chicago and don't have access to the official scorescheets. When I get home tomorrow I'll double check that match and we'll update the stats accordingly if there was a mistake.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

harborseal wrote:

Thanks
I'm currently in Chicago and don't have access to the official scorescheets. When I get home tomorrow I'll double check that match and we'll update the stats accordingly if there was a mistake.
The scoresheet for the round 9 South Lakes vs PGCPS game has the match down as a South Lakes win of 245-210 over PGCPS and everything seems to be in order (names match up, totals work out). I can provide more of an individual breakdown of the stats on the scoresheet, but that's what we have. Not sure where the error would be.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
Bolt52
Lulu

Post by Bolt52 »

harborseal wrote:
harborseal wrote:

Thanks
The scoresheet for the round 9 South Lakes vs PGCPS game has the match down as a South Lakes win of 245-210 over PGCPS and everything seems to be in order (names match up, totals work out). I can provide more of an individual breakdown of the stats on the scoresheet, but that's what we have. Not sure where the error would be.

I'm not sure, maybe the sides were flipped but PGCPS knows that we won three games in the playoff, losing to Gonzaga and Southern Fulton. We'll try to get in contact with South Lakes, maybe they can help us figure it out.
Hunter Whaples
Freshie Class of 2017
Eleanor Roosevelt HS Team A '14

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake.
-GLaDOS
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

TimeDerivativeOfWork wrote:The promised playoff stats are now available here. I'm still working on trying to get combined stats up/get SQBS to cooperate.
If you have further issues, please email me.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
VinaiRachakonda
Lulu

harborseal wrote:
harborseal wrote:

Thanks
I distinctly remember the moderators telling our team we won 245-210. I also took score hand had us having the lead, if that helps. Is there anyway we can contact the moderators to make sure?
Vinaichandra Rachakonda
Class of 2016
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

VinaiRachakonda wrote:
harborseal wrote:

Thanks
I distinctly remember the moderators telling our team we won 245-210. I also took score hand had us having the lead, if that helps. Is there anyway we can contact the moderators to make sure?
I emailed the moderator and scorekeeper who were in that room, hopefully they'll remember it. I have the scoresheet in front of me right now, and the breakdown I have is:
South Lakes
Omar: 0/0/0
Caroline: 0/2/1
Christina: 1/6/1
Ibraheem: 0/0/0

85 total tossup points + 160 bonus pts = 245 game points

PGCPS
Kamyar: 0/0/0
Mitchell: 0/0/0
Hunter: 2/4/0
Vinai: 0/3/2

90 total tossup points + 120 bonus pts = 210 game points

(I can provide individual tossup by tossup breakdown if you want)

I don't mean to question the accuracy of your memory, I'm just kind of lost as to how our information can conflict this much; it's not like the scorekeeper simply switched team names on the scoresheet or something.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD