MUT at uWaterloo (15th March, 2014)

Old college threads.
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

MUT at uWaterloo (15th March, 2014)

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

Nota Bene : This tournament occurs the day before an open mirror of Cane Ridge Revival will be held, also at the University of Waterloo.

#QuickFax to start us off

Tournament : Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament
Difficulty Level : Fall+
When : Saturday, March 15th, 2014.
Eligibility : Teams must comprise of high-school students or undergraduate students affiliated with the same institution
Where : The MC building of uWaterloo
Base Fee : $120 (see below for discounts)
Packet Submission : Absolutely not. Just bring your brains, smiles, money and Carrie Underwood albums.
Theme Song : Popular, from the musical Wicked! Those unfamiliar with the song are directed to educate themselves here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4EtbRJw14E

I am pleased to announce that the University of Waterloo be hosting a mirror of MUT on Saturday, March 15th, 2014. The original tournament announcement can be found here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15423

Fee Schedule

Base Fee : $120
Buzzers: -$10 each, no limit
Staffers: -$10 each, no limit
Distance (over 400 kilometres for the round trip) : $-10
All-High School Team: $-30
International (comprised entirely of people coming from outside of Canada, regardless of nationalities) : $-20

As we are hosting tournaments on both Saturday and Sunday, we expect to have a reasonable number of teams staying in Waterloo on the night of Saturday, March 15th (and possibly the Friday or the Sunday as well). To that extent, those of us at Waterloo QuizBowl are happy to open our homes to any wandering QuizBowlers who might need a place to crash that weekend. I can personally accommodate almost 10 people at my place in the combined space of my bedroom and spacious lounges. Additionally the rest of Waterloo QuizBowl will be happy to take in anyone else who might need a place. All you need to do is ask and profess your love for the Dixie Chicks.

Of course, if you insist on being unfriendly, rumour has it Waterloo has inns and hotels and such where one may spend a night or two. I know nothing about this. Ask someone else since you clearly hate me and don't wish to stay with me. This means you, Huma.

Finally, if you have any recommendations or requests for the tournament, feel free to post them here or personally contact me. We'll strive to fulfill any wishes, no matter how kooky (Please, for those of you that know me, the kookier the better. Please. Please. Please.)

If you have any questions, requests, would like to register please email Brian McNamara at [email protected]. If you would like to share your Russell Hantz fan art, please do so with either of Xtine Irwin or Aaron Dos Slaymedios.

A joint Facebook event has been created for both tournaments and can be found here : https://www.facebook.com/events/229464463892431/
Last edited by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

Re: MUT at uWaterloo (15th March, 2014)

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

Carleton will be sending 1 team and 1 set of buzzers to this most wonderful tournament.
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Everyone:

I will be serving as the Tournament Director for this tournament. From here on out, please e-mail me at [email protected] to register for this tournament, or if you have any other questions or concerns.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
Rikku

I forgot to mention this in the tournament announcement, but the incomparable Huma Zafar has written an all-literature side event that will be played immediately following this tournament. The event, titled Mavis Gallant Memorial Tournament (MGMT), will be absolutely free to play. Finer details like format (likely 5 packets of 20 TUs, no bonuses), team structure (likely singles/doubles), etc. will be confirmed and announced soon. We will seek registrants at the tournament itself and hope to provide some prizes.

We intend to run this as a thank-you to all staffers and players who come from afar. Waterloo expresses her gratitude to Huma Zafar for her contribution :)
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

This tournament is in two weeks, and so far only Carleton has registered. I'd hate to have them drive all that way to play themselves, so you should contact me to let me know that you're coming!
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

FIELD UPDATE

Carleton (1)
Ottawa (1)
McMaster (1)
Toronto (1)
Waterloo (4)

There is a field rounding together for this, and we'd love you to be a part of it!
Last edited by Bartleby on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Will Huma's side event be open to mirrors?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
the third garrideb
Wakka

Post by the third garrideb »

Cheynem wrote:Will Huma's side event be open to mirrors?
Yes, but probably not before the 15th. Anyone interested in mirroring can send me an email or pm. There are no mirror fees, and I'll try to post more details sometime soon.
Huma Zafar
University of Waterloo alumna
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

If I haven't received your registration by midnight tonight, I'm closing the field.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Toronto is sending one team. We will have one staffer in myself and no other discounts.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Thanks Aaron. We are at a round eight teams, and the field for this tournament is now closed unless you can keep us at an even number of teams.

A logistics email was sent around earlier this week, so I will keep this post brief, but please meet no later than 8:45AM in the Mathematics and Computers (MC) building, room 4059. We plan to be underway at 9AM.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Round One is now underway. I will post updates periodically.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Play has resumed from our lunch break, with Ottawa currently atop the field at 5-0.

I would post stats, but I don't seem to have authorization to alter the DB listing for this tournament.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

We have finished our round robin. Ottawa remains atop the field with a 7-0 record, and Waterloo A, Toronto, and Carleton are the four teams in the championship bracket. The consolation bracket features Waterloo C, McMaster, Waterloo B, and Waterloo D.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Ottawa defeated Waterloo A in the first game of an advantaged final.

Stats will be forthcoming within the next couple of days, as there are a few small fixes that I need to make.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

We hope to set up a private discussion forum soon; please let myself or Rob know if there are any major errors that need fixing.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Rikku

Stats have been posted and may be found here : http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/

Thanks to everyone who came out to play and congratulations to almost the entire UOttawa team for placing first. Thanks to Brian McNamara for an excellent job TDing and to everyone who moderated and staffed in any capacity. Was much fun :)
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

Thanks to Waterloo for hosting this (and CRR). Carleton had an amazing time at this swagalicious weekend, which was very well run. Thanks to all the people who staffed this, the entire Waterloo club, and Aayush is okay too or whateves.
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

I would like to thank everyone at the UW for their great organizing, moderators, scorekeepers, and everyone else who I haven't mentioned. My two special mentioned are for Huma's literature addition, and especially Brian, who throughout the chaos that I had, was firmly calm and knowledgeable, and helped me get through my late lunch hour horror show.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Thank you for playing MUT! If you'd like to discuss the set, or read discussion of the set, please request to join the 2014 MUT Discussion usergroup using your User Control Panel to access the private forum.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT