Question for other Alabama teams...

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Hobodog
Lulu

Question for other Alabama teams...

Post by Hobodog »

Just want to sound it out.

School Name?

Are you an ASCA member?

Does your school have a regular period where scholar's bowl meets and works together?

If not, does your team meet every school day?

(given a no above) Is there any scheduled practice time? If so when?

Are than any requirements for attendance on your team?

Do you require any outside work on your team?

Does you school have any other academic teams? (i.e. debate) Are they among the best in their field of competition?

Does your school have an established Scholar's Bowl team at its feeder school(s)

I'll take it first.
School Name?
Mountain Brook High School
Are you an ASCA member?
No. We've been through three coaches in the past two years and the former coaches didn't inform us we needed to get our dues in.
Does your school have a regular period where scholar's bowl meets and works together?
No
If not, does your team meet every school day outside of school?
No
Yes, about 45-60 minutes each Wednesday afternoon.
None. We have 6 or 7 regulars to practice, 2 guys who regularly make tournaments. We both try to recruit who we can for each individual tournament so many of our players have little to no experience (though they usually are good and effective support). So we vary wildy on what we bring to each tournament. Last two years we have brought from between 1 team of 3 to Brindlee Mountain this year, to 2 teams of 6 with no chaperone two years ago at Bob Jones, to 3 teams of 6 to several tournaments. (usually 3 reoughly even teams, 2 years ago at Holy Spirit our JV team came within 5 points of beating at full strength squad from ISS with James and Evan. We were up by 85 in after three rounds but a lightning round turned fourth round consisting only of single sentence questions asking for Saint names did us in and we lost 8 questions to 2. Not necessarily the ultimate hose round, but oh so close, they went on to beat our A team the next round by a small margin and win the tourney)
None. Our practices consists of running through a couple Alabama, Florida, or NAQT rounds.
Does you school have any other academic teams? (i.e. debate) Are they among the best in their field of competition?
Yes. We have a very good debate team that often saps us of our talent for tournaments. (i.e. we sent about 20 people to Chicago for a debate tourament this year. They've been to Dallas, Atlanta, and are going to San Fransisco and a couple other 2 days trips)
Does your school have an established Scholar's Bowl team at its feeder school(s)
Yes. They meet once a week and, at least when we were there, very rarely came home without either 1st or 2nd place hardware from a tournament. We won ASCA sectionals my three years there though we only send 8th graders.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

School Name?
Scottsboro Junior High but next year will be the High School also

Are you an ASCA member?
Yes

No
Yes, morning practice 7 am - 8 am

Yes, more than five missed unexcused practice gets a warning, but so far I have not had to deal with that

Yes

No not that I know of

Yes I am taking care of the feeder school first, then High School next year
Neel6989
Lulu

Post by Neel6989 »

School name: Grissom

ASCA member?: Yes

Scholar's bowl period?: No

We practice after school twice a week.

No attendance requirements.

Outside work? Not really.

Our math team is pretty good.

Yes, all 3 schools that feed into Grissom have fairly strong Scholar's bowl programs.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

School Name?

Brindlee Mountain High School
Brindlee Mountain Middle School

Are you an ASCA member?

Yes

Yep.

Come to practice or don't play.

Of course.

Does your school have any other academic teams? (i.e. debate) Are they among the best in their field of competition?

We have a math team that only competes a few times a year. It's mainly made up of kids on my Quiz Bowl Team. If there is a conflict, Quiz Bowl comes first.

Yes. I coach at both Brindlee Mountain Middle and High Schools. We consider it all one big team with 6th grade, Middle School A, Middle School B, Junior Varsity A, Junior Varsity B, Varsity A, and Varsity B teams.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Niehahs Rimjat
Kimahri

Post by Niehahs Rimjat »

School Name?

Hoover High School

Are you an ASCA member?

Yes

No. It should.

No

Three practices a week (Mon, Wed, Thur), attendance at two mandatory.

Don't practice, don't play.

Required, no. Looked highly upon for team placement, yes.

Math Team = Good.

Established, yes. Good, not really.
Dostoevskyistheman
Lulu

Post by Dostoevskyistheman »

School Name: Bob Jones High School

Are you an ASCA member?: Yes

Does your school have a regular period where scholars' bowl meets and works together?: Not this year.

Are there any requirements for attendance on your team? : Use the buzzers. It helps. :shock:

Do you require any outside work on your team?: Yes. Usually about twice a week.

Does your school have other academic teams?: Yes. Ecconomics team, math team, and computer science team. All at or around tops at state level.

Does your scholars' bowl team have an accomplished system at it's feeder schools?: No.