Kentucky 2013-14

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Scottietodd
Wakka

Re: Kentucky 2013-14

Post by Scottietodd »

Hello everyone,

The Scottie Invitational at Glasgow High School scheduled for January 4, 2014 has been cancelled. Hopefully we will have better luck on our next attempt. Thanks.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB KY States will be at duPont Manual HS in Louisville on A Set on Saturday, March 22 on A Set. No prior qualification is needed, and out of state teams who have not played A Set elsewhere are welcome.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I think NASAT tryouts may end up being held on March 23rd.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

The FCAT is now at our 32 team cap (15 "A" teams and 17 "B" teams) We will be moving one of the "B" teams into the "A" bracket (Fleming "B" unless we have a volunteer to move up). We will be starting a wait list.

Campbell Co. (1-A and 1-B)
Fleming (1-A, 1-B)
Ashland (1-A, 2-B)
Woodford Co. (1-A, 2-B)
Johnson Central (1-A, 1-B)
P.L. Dunbar (2-A, 2-B)
West Jessamine (1-A, 1-B)
Simon Kenton (1-A, 1-B)
Bishop Brossart (1-A, 1-B)
Danville (1-A, 1-B)
Paintsville (1-A, 1-B)
Rowan Co. (1-A)
Sheldon Clark (1-A, 1-B)
Russell (1-A, 2-B)

The tournament will be using HSAPQ's VHSL sets and will be slightly modified to stay close to Governor's Cup format for those teams wanting a tune up before district play begins. Even with the longer games we will guarantee each squad six games.

The tournament will have three prelim rounds, then a reseed with the top eight teams moving into the championship pools. Teams 9-16 from the prelims will play teams with like records in the afternoon.

We are also seeking PACE affiliation.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:I think NASAT tryouts may end up being held on March 23rd.
This is the official date of NASAT tryouts. They'll be on the University of Kentucky campus again this year. We'll be using the SUBMIT set, and I've been told that it'll be secured for us, so we shouldn't have any concerns about early access to the set. Watch for a full announcement in the near future.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Post by Helmuth von Moltke »

Johnson Central won FCAT yesterday with Dunbar getting 2nd. Our B team won their division as well. I really have no clue on results beyond that.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Congratulations to Johnson Central, champion of the 16th Annual Fleming County Academic Tournament. They defeated Dunbar-A in the championship game 40-38. Dunbar-B defeated Russell 39-34 in the varsity division's 3rd place game. PACE has affiliated the tournament with the top 15% of the varsity field earning national berths.

Johnson also won the "B" division 34-26 over Campbell Co.

Varsity results:
1. Johnson Central 7-0
2. Dunbar-A 6-1
3. Dunbar-B 6-1
4. Russell 4-3
5. Campbell Co. 4-2 and Lafayette 3-3
7. Ashland 2-4 and Bishop Brossart 2-4
9. West Jessamine 3-3
10. Woodford Co. 3-3
11. Simon Kenton 3-3
12. Lewis Co. 1-5
13. Danville 3-3
14. Rowan Co. 2-4
15. Sheldon Clark 1-5
16. Paintsville 0-6

"B" Division (varsity non-starters and JV--also note that in order to avoid byes Fleming's teams were split and played down to balance the field--there was no 3rd place game in this division)
1. Johnson Central 7-0
2. Campbell Co. 5-2
3. Ashland/Russell-A 4-2/5-1
5. Simon Kenton/Ashland-B 3-3/3-3
7. Fleming-A/Russell-B 2-4/3-3
9. Dunbar 4-2
10. Woodford-A 4-2
11. Woodford-B 2-4
12. Lafayette 1-5
13. Johnson Central -B 3-3
14. West Jessamine 2-4
15. Fleming-B 1-5
16. Paintsville 0-6

The tournament used HSAPQ's VHSL sets reformatted to something close to Governor's Cup format.

Matches consisted of 20 pyramidal toss ups per (untimed) half with single part bonuses (with bounce back). All questions were 1 point with KY rules for timing toss ups and bonuses (5 and 10). No computational tossups, with some computation mixed in on bonuses.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:I think NASAT tryouts may end up being held on March 23rd.
This is the official date of NASAT tryouts. They'll be on the University of Kentucky campus again this year. We'll be using the SUBMIT set, and I've been told that it'll be secured for us, so we shouldn't have any concerns about early access to the set. Watch for a full announcement in the near future.
Psst, Nick, add this to the calendar please.
Fred Morlan
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I've added several events to the calendar. The information for events in Louisville were found on NAQT's website. Here's what we're looking at as far as tournaments in Kentucky over the next 4 months:

2/8: Ballard-Eastern Academic Challenge (Louisville, KY), Eastern Kentucky History Bowl (Paintsville, KY)
2/15: KAAC Governor's Cup Regionals (Various Sites)
3/1: NAQT State Championship (Louisville, KY)
3/9: UK Spring Championship (Lexington, KY)
3/15: KAAC Governor's Cup State Finals (Louisville, KY)
3/22: Kentucky State History Bee and Bowl (Louisville, KY), 3/23: NASAT Tryouts (Lexington, KY)
4/5: ARTIST @ WKU (Bowling Green, KY)
4/12: Ballard-Eastern JV Invitational (Louisville, KY)
5/10: UK Nationals Prep Tournament (Lexington, KY)

The only true open dates I can see right now are 2/22 (although WKU is hosting ACF Regionals that day, and I believe Vanderbilt's ABC is that day as well) and 3/29. Also I found it impressive that Kentucky actually managed to have two tournaments (FCAT and Western KY NHBB) on the same day last weekend.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

NASAT Tryouts and UK Pre-Nationals have been announced.
Fred Morlan
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

It's probably a good idea for more of Kentucky's best teams to register for the state tournament being held at UofL on March 1.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

At the Eastern KY venue of NHBB, Glasgow won Varsity Bowl, defeating Menifee. I don't know the results for the JV Bowl.

Varsity Bee was won by Skyler Cantrell of Menifee, with Stephen Corbitt of Paul Blazer getting Runner-up.

JV Bee was won by me, with Alec Salyer, also of Johnson Central, getting Runner-up.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

ATTN: duPont Manual: doth thou still existeth?
Fred Morlan
jesseshelburne
Lulu

Post by jesseshelburne »

We're still here. We had several recent tournaments fall through because of severe weather or tournament cancellation (Rowdy Raider, Glasgow, Ballard-Eastern) but we are entered in NAQT State and Vandy's Prison Bowl mirror in addition to Governor's Cup.
Jesse Shelburne
Captain - duPont Manual (KY) '14
Harvard '18
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Didn't see you on the state list. Sorry.

UK Spring is still happening on Sunday, March 9th and accepting registrations. NASAT tryouts are still happening on March 23rd; there has been no postponement to either, since I've been asked about both.
Fred Morlan
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I'm pleased to announce the Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance to the community: http://www.kyquizbowl.org

The Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance is an organization dedicated to spreading good, pyramidal quizbowl in the state of Kentucky by hosting tournaments, staffing tournaments, working with high school teams, and providing resources to foster individual and team development. The KQBA's core goals are to raise the number of schools who participate in pyramidal quizbowl tournaments and to elevate the level of play within the state.

The website currently has a calendar of upcoming quizbowl tournaments in Kentucky and contact information for some of the members. KQBA members will play a role in the formation and selection of the NASAT team, for which tryouts will be held at the University of Kentucky on March 23. Interested players should contact Fred Morlan by emailing him at [email protected], and the selections will be announced on the KQBA website shortly after the tryouts.

More functions of the KQBA will be revealed over the coming months, and we plan to introduce a number of helpful and exciting resources and opportunities to continue the growth of our quizbowl circuit in Kentucky. People interested in more information about the KQBA can email us at [email protected]
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Here are the High School Regional Runner-up and Champions draws for Pool Play at KAAC State:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jw4835u_sc#t=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sp94eWdgkI#t=0
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

So, here are the 16 teams (grouped by pools) that I predict will make it out of pool play:

Pool A. Russell, West Jessamine
Pool B. JCHS, Blazer
Pool C. Calloway, Campbell
Pool D. DuPont, Conner
Pool E. Dunbar, Ballard
Pool F. Corbin, North Oldham
Pool G. Glasgow, Pikeville
Pool H. St. Xavier, Dixie Heights

Anyone care to add speculation to this?

Also, there were two errors in the draw video: Danville is Region 12, not 11 and DuPont is Region 6, not 5.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Congrats to Dunbar winning yesterday's NAQT state championship, beating duPont Manual in what sounded like an awesome advantaged final. A pretty strong showing by other teams like Gatton, Glasgow, Ballard and Campbell County as well.
Fred Morlan
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Kentucky teams who can make it should really try to attend ARTIST at WKU on April 5. We run an efficient format that will get teams a lot of games, and this year we're mirroring the excellent LIST question set that is highly regarded for its question quality and accessibility. Teams can do themselves a big service by attending late season tournaments like ARTIST, not only in preparing for end-of-season national tournaments, but in preparing for the next season.

I know the date isn't ideal for everyone, and I wish we could accommodate everybody, but there has to be a decent amount of schools out there who are able to attend our event on April 5. If you have any questions or would like to register, please email us at [email protected]

I really look forward to seeing a lot of you in Bowling Green in a month.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Congratulations to Gatton Academy for defeating Dunbar in the finals in yesterday's UK Spring!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We have 20 people signed up for the NASAT tryouts at UK on March 23rd, which is a great turnout but we'd love to have more attend if possible! You can find more information at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=15459.
Fred Morlan
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Any updates on preliminary round scores from state Governor's Cup would be appreciated.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

FCPanther wrote:Any updates on preliminary round scores from state Governor's Cup would be appreciated.
https://twitter.com/governorscup
Nicholas C
KQBA member
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Post by The ChatSack Triple-Play »

For what it's worth, the KAAC final four appear to be Russell/Corbin, Manual, Dunbar, and Johnson.

The questions this year are a bit more pyramidal than last year's. The lit writer is still intent on putting in obscure titles over actual information on better known works, and there were several answer lines that went dead in the Dunbar-Pikeville match, but the science and history are getting to be a really good approximation of quizbowl apart from some spots of biography bowl. We may have a good tournament in five years' time.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

HopefullyUnknown wrote:For what it's worth, the KAAC final four appear to be Russell/Corbin, Manual, Dunbar, and Johnson.

The questions this year are a bit more pyramidal than last year's. The lit writer is still intent on putting in obscure titles over actual information on better known works, and there were several answer lines that went dead in the Dunbar-Pikeville match, but the science and history are getting to be a really good approximation of quizbowl apart from some spots of biography bowl. We may have a good tournament in five years' time.
The final results: Manual defeated Dunbar in a reverse of the outcome of NAQT State. I wouldn't be too harsh on KAAC, Alex - I don't know of any other state government that runs a competition like Governor's Cup, and complaining about how Quick Recall is not enough like Quiz Bowl is rather pointless because they clearly want to maintain a different format, which is not a bad thing per se. (I will admit that I may be biased toward perceiving Quick Recall in a favorable light because its 20% computational math was my primary source of points in high school and I never played Quiz Bowl before college.) Also, in what is surely a staggering coincidence, the science and history were precisely the subjects for which Louisville's team wrote many questions. I am tired, so please forgive the run-on-ness of the preceding sentences.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Galadedrid Damodred wrote:and complaining about how Quick Recall is not enough like Quiz Bowl is rather pointless because they clearly want to maintain a different format, which is not a bad thing per se.
It's pretty far from pointless. Wanting the game to improve at a tournament is not pointless.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:We have 20 people signed up for the NASAT tryouts at UK on March 23rd, which is a great turnout but we'd love to have more attend if possible! You can find more information at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=15459.
Please don't forget to sign up for this.
Fred Morlan
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

Galadedrid Damodred wrote:and complaining about how Quick Recall is not enough like Quiz Bowl is rather pointless because they clearly want to maintain a different format, which is not a bad thing per se.
It's pretty far from pointless. Wanting the game to improve at a tournament is not pointless.
My argument is that posting in this thread about bad question writing and/or bad rules being observed in a tournament is unproductive when that tournament's organizers, to the best of my knowledge, do not frequent these forums and have no intention of changing their format to mirror NAQT or PACE standards. Such discussion inevitably becomes repetitive and vitriolic when one party is not around to defend itself. I agree that there is room for improving overall question quality or tweaking some of the rules that emphasize technicalities over rewarding knowledge. But there are better ways to effect change than to point a finger and say "this is not good quizbowl." For one thing, you can talk to KAAC themselves. Not playing devil's advocate, just trying to be constructive.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Galadedrid Damodred wrote:
My argument is that posting in this thread about bad question writing and/or bad rules being observed in a tournament is unproductive when that tournament's organizers, to the best of my knowledge, do not frequent these forums and have no intention of changing their format to mirror NAQT or PACE standards. Such discussion inevitably becomes repetitive and vitriolic when one party is not around to defend itself. I agree that there is room for improving overall question quality or tweaking some of the rules that emphasize technicalities over rewarding knowledge. But there are better ways to effect change than to point a finger and say "this is not good quizbowl." For one thing, you can talk to KAAC themselves. Not playing devil's advocate, just trying to be constructive.
They're aware of what gets said on this board, to the best of my knowledge. John Bennett used to post here, but for some reason it seems KAAC attitude towards actually posting on the forums has lapsed a bit in the past few years.

More importantly: the really important group in KAAC is the board of directors. A lot of the board is elected by member schools themselves, and there are several active coaches sitting on it right now. The real opposition to good quizbowl in Kentucky hasn't been from three people with an office in Frankfort, but a bunch of coaches who throw fits anybody proposes a change. Some of them read this board and some of their players post here.

And yes, one long term goal of the Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance will be talk to KAAC directly. They're aware of our concerns, people have had face to face discussions, and minor improvements have been made. Major improvements to format (elimination of bad rules like recognition, eliminating single elimination, bringing the game and scoring format in line with real quizbowl) and questions (contracting with a question writing company would be nice, or at least hiring a top notch editor to bring the submissions of varying quality into more cohesion) are necessary for the Kentucky circuit to keep growing in size and success.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:We have 20 people signed up for the NASAT tryouts at UK on March 23rd, which is a great turnout but we'd love to have more attend if possible! You can find more information at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=15459.
Please don't forget to sign up for this.
As noted in that thread, we're accepting sign ups through Saturday night.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Congratulations to this year's Team Kentucky!

Alex Malone, Gatton Academy*
Alice Liu, duPont Manual
Athena Kern, Dunbar
Kieren Weisert, Corbin
Olivia Kiser, Glasgow
Will Walters, Gatton Academy

*Despite it previously being announced that players would only make the team if they were able to attend the tryouts, the players trying out spoke up and voted unanimously that Alex should be granted a spot if he was deemed deserving. The selection committee determined he belonged on the team after today's tryouts.
Fred Morlan
Hawkeye
Kimahri

Post by Hawkeye »

I have been told that some of the Gatton Academy students have competed in the college division and it appears some of them are also planning to compete on high school division teams. Could someone please tell me how they can compete at both levels. Thanks

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Hawkeye wrote:I have been told that some of the Gatton Academy students have competed in the college division and it appears some of them are also planning to compete on high school division teams. Could someone please tell me how they can compete at both levels. Thanks
Because they are both high school students and college students. There are no rules that bar players from competing at both levels.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Hawkeye wrote:I have been told that some of the Gatton Academy students have competed in the college division and it appears some of them are also planning to compete on high school division teams. Could someone please tell me how they can compete at both levels. Thanks
[url=http://www.naqt.com/hs/high-school-eligibility.html]NAQT eligibility rules[/url] section G wrote:Competing at Multiple Levels

If a player has affiliations with institutions at different educational levels (middle school, high school, community college, college, etc.), he or she may compete for all such institutions up to and including attending multiple national championships.

Such a player may be prevented from attending some such tournaments, however, due to the use of identical or overlapping question sets at tournaments produced for different education levels.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Since we're pretty much done until nationals save for UK's event in a month, does anyone want to take a shot at rankings? I daresay the big three are pretty much neck and neck and neck at HSNCT/PACE difficulty, but beyond that I don't have any idea. Too many one-man teams.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

I know it's early, but here's Kentucky's first date claim for the 14-15 school year (same weekend as the last 10 years)

Fleming County High School (Kentucky) will be hosting the 17th annual Fleming County Academic Tournament on January 10, 2015. We plan on using HSAPQ questions again (no word for sure on which set but probably VHSL season sets).

Most of the details should be the same. Unfortunately we will have to bump up the entry to $70 for a school's first team, $35 for additional teams (we do ask schools to bring a working buzzer and an official). We plan to keep the pool play format, with reseeding into the afternoon pool rounds. We will still guarantee 6 games, and try to stay on our modified Governor's Cup format (40 toss ups with single part bonuses). A merger of quizbowl and Governor's Cup.

There will still be varsity and "B" team divisions. We will plan to tentatively set a 32 team cap. IF we can secure the volunteers it's possible we may expand to 36.

More details as we move forward.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:Ken Jennings: Wishes Ill to Kentucky Quiz Bowlers?!
"Does this mean NAQT hates Kentucky too?"--WestBerkeleyFlats
Nicholas C
KQBA member
mriggle
Lulu

Post by mriggle »

Western Kentucky University is planning to host the annual Hilltopper Invitational Tournament on Saturday, October 18, 2014. This tournament will be open to any high school (or middle school) teams who wish to come, and depending on how much interest we have, we may decide to have separate divisions for varsity and JV teams. Please note that this date is not the one we've used for Hilltopper in the last couple of years, but we have used this date for other tournaments in the past (typically our JV tournament). I'll announce more specific details in the future, but any Kentucky teams looking for a fun, competitive tournament experience for next season can plan on coming to Bowling Green on the 18th!
Matthew Riggle
Pope John Paul II Catholic High School (Huntsville, Alabama): 2008-2012
Western Kentucky University: 2012-present
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The Kentucky Quiz Bowl Alliance will have a brief meeting on Saturday evening to discuss this past year of Kentucky quiz bowl--what worked and what could have been better, from your perspective. We'd also like to get your feedback on some of our potential plans for next year, and to discuss ideas for outreach and bringing more teams into the quiz bowl circuit. We would also like the Kentucky NASAT team to meet during this time, since that event is fast approaching and I'm sure you'd all like to get together and discuss your plans and practice.

The meeting will be at 9pm on Saturday night, and we do not anticipate it lasting overly-long. We'll meet in the lobby-level Conference Center foyer (the level with the Dulles, Logan, and JFK rooms, which is the same general area where you check in with NAQT on Friday night), and then proceed to one of the game room suites or a similarly suitable area to meet.

We hope to see you there, and best of luck at HSNCT! If you have any questions, you can probably ask myself, Fred Morlan, Ramapriya Rangaraju, or Jason Thompson if you run into us this weekend.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

HSNCT results, in case anyone's been living under a rock:

t-34: Dunbar A, Gatton, Manual A
t-53: Corbin
t-77: Manual B
114: Glasgow
131: Dunbar B
147: Russell
148: Campbell County

Pleasantly enough, no one had a losing record, but I feel like at least one of the top three should have gone further. Always next year, I guess.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The University of Kentucky will be hosting our Fall Championship on November 22nd, 2014.
Fred Morlan
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Fleming County will be there, probably with two teams. Have to check on interest when we get back to school in the fall.