2014 Connecticut State Championship

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jeffreylauck
Lulu

2014 Connecticut State Championship

Post by jeffreylauck »

Woodland Regional High School will be hosting the Connecticut State Championship on Saturday, March 8th, 2014.
Any and all Connecticut High school teams are invited to attend.
We will be using NAQT rules and official packets.

Interested teams should contact Jeffrey Lauck at [email protected] by February 15.

More details will follow as the event grows closer.

Thank you!
Jeffrey Lauck
Woodland Regional High School, Beacon Falls Connecticut
jeffreylauck
Lulu

Re: 2014 Connecticut State Championship

Post by jeffreylauck »

So far the following teams are confirmed:
Woodland (1)
Darien (3)
EO Smith (2)
Any other teams wishing to sign up should email me at [email protected] by 2/15/14.

The tournament will be held at Woodland Regional High School
135 Back Rimmon Road
Beacon Falls CT, 06403
If you need directions, please contact me.

As of right now, we will be planning on starting the day's events at 9:30. This time may change depending on how many teams sign up.
I will have more updates as the event grows closer. Thank you to all the teams who have heretofore signed up, and I hope to see more in the coming weeks!

-Jeffrey Lauck
Jeffrey Lauck
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

jeffreylauck wrote:We will be using NAQT rules and official packets.
Like most NAQT state championships, this will be IS #136.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
jeffreylauck
Lulu

Post by jeffreylauck »

Pricing will be as follows:
$40 for each 1st team
$30 for each additional team
-$10 for each working buzzer system
-$10 for each moderator

There will be a $20 minimum for each team.
Please make all checks payable to WRHS and plan to pay upon arrival at the tournament.

If you are planning on providing buzzer systems and/or moderators, advanced notice via email would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Jeffrey Lauck
jeffreylauck
Lulu

Post by jeffreylauck »

Here are some updates:

1.) We have received Gold Certification from the Partnership for Academic Competition for Academic Excellence (PACE), meaning that the top 20% of teams will qualify for nationals, which will take place May 24-25th, 2014 in Washington DC.

2.) We have extended our deadline for registration until March 1st.

3.) We have added a registration form for any teams planning to attend. If any teams have already expressed interest, they must still fill out the form. All forms should be emailed to [email protected] by March 1st.

Here is a link to the form online:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4B5Ur ... sp=sharing

If you have any trouble viewing, downloading, or submitting this form, please email me and I will send you a copy via email.
Jeffrey Lauck
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Hello--Any updates? Thanks.
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
jeffreylauck
Lulu

Post by jeffreylauck »

So far the following teams have expressed interest:
EO Smith
Darien
Woodland
Suffield
Please be sure to submit a completed registration form by March 1st!
Jeffrey Lauck
jeffreylauck
Lulu

Post by jeffreylauck »

*IMPORTANT UPDATE*

This week the Woodland Guidance Department announced that SAT testing will be held at Woodland on March 8th. Due to the strain on resources (rooms, teachers, etc.) that SAT testing poses for Woodland, we will be forced to move the date of the Championship to Saturday, March 15th, 2014.

Let me repeat:
The CT State Quiz Bowl Championship will now be Saturday, March 15th, 2014

All other details will remain the same, but the Deadline for registration will be pushed back to Friday, March 7th.

As a reminder, here are the details for the championship:

Date: Sat. March 15th, 2014
Address: 135 Back Rimmon Road, Beacon Falls CT 06403
Deadline for Registration: Friday, March 7th, 2014
PACE Nat'l Qualifications: Top 20% go to May 24-25 Nationals in Washington DC

Pricing:
$40 for each 1st team
-$10 for each moderator
$20 minimum for each team.
Please make all checks payable to WRHS and plan to pay upon arrival at the tournament.

Here is a link to the registration form online:

Please email the completed form to [email protected] by March 7th. If you plan on providing a moderator(s) and/or buzzer system(s), an advance notice would be greatly appreciated so that we can plan accordingly. If you have trouble viewing or downloading the form online, please send me an email and I will send the form as an attachment.

I apologize for the shuffle in dates. I will be contacting all teams that have already expressed interest, as well as any other CT teams.
Jeffrey Lauck
jeffreylauck
Lulu

Post by jeffreylauck »

*IMPORTANT UPDATE* (again)

We discovered that March 15th is the date of Newtown's History Bowl Competition, so after surveying a number of CT teams, we found that the original March 8th date worked best for the most teams. As a result, we have moved the date of the tournament back to the original date of March 8th. While Woodland is still hosting SATs that date, we managed to work out a compromise with our Guidance Department so that both events can run at the same time. I would like to thank everyone for their responses and also apologize for all the confusion this has caused.

Here is the breakdown for details:

Date: Saturday, March 8th, 2014
Address: 135 Back Rimmon Road, Beacon Falls CT 06403
Nat'l Qualifications: Top 20% qualify for May 24-25 PACE championship in Washington DC
Teams invited: Any and all CT High School Quiz Bowl teams

Pricing will be as follows:
$40 for each 1st team
-$10 for each moderator

$20 minimum for each team.
If you are planning on providing buzzer systems and/or moderators, advanced notice via email would be greatly appreciated.

Deadline for Registration: Tuesday, March 4th, 2014. Please email the below form completed to [email protected] to register. If you have trouble viewing or downloading the file, please email me and I will send it to you as an attachment.

Check in will most likely be from 8:30 to 9, with the first game starting at 9:30. Due to SAT testing, we will be holding the event exclusively on the 3rd floor of our school, so we will have special instructions for arrival and departure for all teams that sign up. We are also going to stress that teams be quiet in between matches until lunch, so as not to disturb students taking SATs.

If you plan on bringing a moderator and/or buzzer system, an advance notice would be greatly appreciated. Matt Jackson and some of the Yale QB team has generously volunteered to let us use their buzzer systems and even help moderate if we are short any resources, but the event falls on the first day of their spring break so I would like to let him know if his services are needed as soon as possible.

Just a reminder, we may only accept registration forms from Connecticut High School Quiz Bowl Teams, as this is a state championship. No experience is required.

If your team has already registered, I ask that you please resubmit an updated form. Any previous registration forms are no longer being considered as valid due to the double date change.

Thank you all for your patience through this debacle and I apologize once again for any inconveniences this has caused. I hope to see many of you on the 8th! If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to submit your registration, please email me at [email protected].
Jeffrey Lauck
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Can we have a field update?
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
jeffreylauck
Lulu

Post by jeffreylauck »

Everything is still on for March 8th. So far we have two teams confirmed and 5 teams interested. Just a reminder to send in your completed registration forms by March 4th! The sooner the better so we can start planning out tournament details.
Jeffrey Lauck
jeffreylauck
Lulu

Post by jeffreylauck »

Tomorrow is the last day to register for this Saturday's tournament! If you are interested, please send the completed registration form to [email protected].
The following schools have registered:
Darien (3)
Suffield (2)
EO Smith (2)
Woodland (1)
Jeffrey Lauck
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Nine teams attended this event; Darien A cleared the field the field to win (10-0 record). I'm sure Jeffrey or Mr. Decker will give a fuller update soon, but I'll just say as someone who volunteered at this event that Woodland did an excellent job running their first tournament ever, finishing a 12-game schedule by 4:30 PM, and I'm really glad to see how far this region has progressed in getting serious about taking quizbowl success into its own hands just in the four years I've been up here.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

I have to second how well Woodland ran the tournament-including an hour for lunch, the whole tournament took just about 7 hours. We had a great time.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
jeffreylauck
Lulu

Post by jeffreylauck »

I am happy to report that today's event was a complete success. Thank you to everyone who helped out and competed for making everything run so smoothly. I think we must have set a record for time, completing 12 full-length rounds in less than 7 hours with a break for lunch and awards. Special thanks to Matt Jackson, Bob Pirrie, Christina DeAngelis, Jon Matte, Woodland teachers Nancy Manning, Daniella Santos, and Joelle Kilcourse, Woodland QB alumni, the current Woodland QB team, and of course Mr. Decker for all the help they gave in pulling this event together and allowing it to run so quickly and efficiently.

The link to the stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1986/
PACE and NAQT championship qualifying teams will be contacted by the respective programs based on how many slots are still open for their tournaments.
Congratulations to Michael Borecki for earning the top individual score and to his team, Darien A, for finishing in first with an undefeated 10-0 record.

I sincerely hope that the CT State Championship will be continued in the future, if not with Woodland as host then certainly another school. If someone would like to run the tournament next year and would like my help, I would be glad to offer any assistance I can give.

Thank you again everybody!

Jeffrey Lauck
Woodland Regional High School Quiz Bowl
Jeffrey Lauck