The Secret Island of Dr. Auroni

Old college threads.
Auroni
Auron

The Secret Island of Dr. Auroni

Post by Auroni »

This is an announcement for The Secret Island of Dr. Auroni, a video games doubles tournament taking the second slot on CO Sunday, in between history doubles and Gorilla lit singles. In the interest of it not taking forever, I'm going to produce 8 packets of 21 powermarked tossups (20 tossups, +1 tiebreaker), capped at 8 lines. The difficulty would be "challenging but not impossible" and the distribution would be "as fair a mix of every genre of video game as I can feasibly write." It should go without saying, but if you want to play this, please don't book an early Sunday flight back.

I'm going to go with 50% of the tossups across the set and in each packet will pertain to games released before the year 2000, and 50% afterwards, with stuff straddling the years being slotted into either category as suits the needs of the set. As for genres, I'm going to say that most of the content across the set and in each packet will be on familiar genres: action, adventure, action-adventure, RPG, platformers, horror, strategy, shooters, etc, and the rest of the content will be on other things. Most questions will also be about the PC, major consoles, and major handhelds, with a few questions about weird ones. I really don't want to outright state that I'm going to write 10 shooter tossups, though, because I have no idea a priori if that's too much (although I hate most shooters, so it probably is), or too little, and would like the ability to adjust as I'm writing the tournament. Essentially I'll be thinking about balancing all the major stuff out, writing stuff to correct perceived imbalances, and believe that is approach is much fairer than compartmentalizing heavily by time and genre to the point where i'm stuck looking up answers for 5 pre-1990 sports video game questions.

I'm not going to write anything for this until after ACF Nationals is over. Price for entry is $10/team. Here's a spreadsheet for team formation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Auroni on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: 2014 CO Video Games Tournament

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

yaaaaaaaaaaaay
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Also, this isn't a charity tournament; I'd like $10 per team.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'll play this pending flights.

I hope it's not going to be all JRPG crap.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

You and me both, brother.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I don't think I've ever written "only JRPG crap" for any of the packets or tournaments I've written with video game components to them before, why would I start now?
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Kenneth Widmerpool wrote:I don't think I've ever written "only JRPG crap" for any of the packets or tournaments I've written with video game components to them before, why would I start now?
This was mainly a joke. In any event, a distribution would be nice.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I'm going to go with 50% of the tossups will pertain to games released before the year 2000, and 50% afterwards, with stuff straddling the years being slotted into either category as suits the needs of the set. As for genres, I'm going to say that most of the content will be on familiar genres: action, adventure, action-adventure, RPG, platformers, horror, strategy, shooters, etc, and the rest of the content will be on other things. I really don't want to outright state that I'm going to write 10 shooter tossups, though, because I have no idea a priori if that's too much (although I hate most shooters, so it probably is), or too little, and would like the ability to adjust as I'm writing the tournament. Essentially I'll be thinking about balancing all the major stuff out, writing stuff to correct perceived imbalances, and believe that is approach is much fairer than compartmentalizing heavily by time and genre to the point where i'm stuck looking up answers for 5 pre-1990 sports questions.

I'll also put this info in the opening post.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

First post now has a spreadsheet for team formation if you want to get a jump on doing that.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Due to recent fuckery, I have made the sign-up spreadsheet for this tournament editable only by people who request access to edit it.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: The Secret Island of Dr. Auroni

Post by AKKOLADE »

please add me and my teammate seymour heinies to your list
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Just bumping this thread to ask people to sign up on the spreadsheet if you want to play. 12 and 18 are good final field sizes, 15 is okay. Also, we have 5 moderators right now, so if you're around and this tournament doesn't interest you, consider reading for it; I'll buy you a soda if you do.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

Still looking for a teammate; message me if you're interested (all the more if you know FPS, sports, and RTS games).

EDIT: Found one.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

I need a teammate for this. I have semi-decent knowledge of everything from 16-bit and before, I'm okay at the generation after, and only really bad on modern stuff, with random deep pockets sparsely scattered everywhere. The main draw is that I'm awesome to be around.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Sparks Nevada wrote:I need a teammate for this. I have semi-decent knowledge of everything from 16-bit and before, I'm okay at the generation after, and only really bad on modern stuff, with random deep pockets sparsely scattered everywhere. The main draw is that I'm awesome to be around.
hay pat freeburn
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

grapesmoker wrote:
Sparks Nevada wrote:I need a teammate for this. I have semi-decent knowledge of everything from 16-bit and before, I'm okay at the generation after, and only really bad on modern stuff, with random deep pockets sparsely scattered everywhere. The main draw is that I'm awesome to be around.
hay pat freeburn

beard bros all day
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Sparks Nevada wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:
hay pat freeburn

beard bros all day
With this match made in heaven, we're at 14 teams. I'd really like two more teams to sign up so we can have a straightforward tournament without byes, but if nobody else signs up by midnight Friday morning, then I'll make this the field cap.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

I will read or play*. Depending on what works best for Auroni's schedule/total number of teams.

* I'm really, really bad at this topic.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Field's officially closed at 14 teams. We'll be splitting into two groups of 7 and playing a round robin within each group. The teams that have the bye each round will play each other for an uncounted game (unless they don't want to hear any more of my splendid questions, I guess). The top one team from each bracket will throw down on the last packet. I went for broke with extremely arcane, dumb team names for teams that didn't already have them.

Come to the food distribution area at lunch time after history to pick up your schedules.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... deo_games/

A one game cross bracket final was played. Rob 1/6/2, Mike 1/0/0 = 80 lost to Mik 1/3/0 , Tejas 0/5/1 = 90.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

That did indeed happen. Congratulations to Mik and Tejas.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

pandabear555 wrote:http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... deo_games/

A one game cross bracket final was played. Rob 1/6/2, Mike 1/0/0 = 80 lost to Mik 1/3/0 , Tejas 0/5/1 = 90.
Owing to a protest of ours being upheld, we actually beat Eric and Ike, and thus our record should be 3-3.
Jerry Vinokurov
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

grapesmoker wrote:
pandabear555 wrote:http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... deo_games/

Owing to a protest of ours being upheld, we actually beat Eric and Ike, and thus our record should be 3-3.
He wouldn't have taken your answer of "Mario 2" for "Super Mario Bros 2" though :party: :party: :party:
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote: He wouldn't have taken your answer of "Mario 2" for "Super Mario Bros 2" though :party: :party: :party:
That's bullshit and you fucking know it.
Jerry Vinokurov