ACF Regionals @ UCF

Old college threads.
bradleykirksey
Wakka

ACF Regionals @ UCF

Post by bradleykirksey »

Hello everyone! We’re very excited to say that UCF will be hosting one site for ACF Regionals this year on February 22nd. Because UCF hates me, we’re not going to know which rooms it’ll be in for another two weeks. We will keep everyone posted on here as we find out the information, but it’s most likely that the tournament will take place on the first floor of Business Administration. However, wherever on campus it’ll be, Garage F is going to be the only free parking on campus.

Packet Submission
For those who don’t know, if your team has anyone who’s played a regular college quiz bowl tournament before September 1st 2012, you need to submit a packet in order to play Regionals.

The submission schedule for this tournament is: (note that these are Saturdays, not Sundays)
December 21, 2013: -$50
January 4, 2014: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 18, 2014: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
February 1, 2014: +$25
February 8, 2014: +$50
After that: +$10 for each additional day you’re late. Teams that are required to submit a packet and do not won’t be allowed to play.

Please submit your packet to [email protected]; the actual email with attached packet should include the phrase “[name of school + A/B/etc. if applicable) PACKET” in the subject line. In order to meet any particular deadline, your packet must be in their inbox by 11:59 pm PST on the stated day.

Fees
(copied from Matt Jackson’s copying of the Fall '13 global announcement, assuming no changes have been instituted since then)
Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems: -$5 each No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -$5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International: -$20
For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.
New ACF teams: -$25
For schools who did not send a team to ACF Fall, Regionals, or Nationals between September 2011 and August 2013, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.
New quizbowl teams: -$75
For schools who did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2011, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of $100.

Also importantly, for those who aren’t familiar with the ACF system, please mail a check directly to ACF. Don’t bring cash or a check to UCF. I mean, we’ll take it, but there’s no guarantee it’ll make it to Jerry Vinokoruv, who should contact every team with information on how to pay ACF.

Distribution
So, as far as I understand it, there’s a slightly different distribution this tournament than the usual ACF distribution. Popular culture is now a 0/1 or 1/0 per pack, and current events and geography have been combined to 1/1 per pack. Here is the exact distribution:

Literature 5/5
History 5/5
Science 5/5
Religion, Mythology and Philosophy 3/3
Fine Arts 3/3
Social Science 1/1
Geography/Current Events: 1/1
Pop-Culture: 1/1

Registering
In order to register, you have to fill out this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10a8k8h ... Q/viewform
If you don’t sign up, you don’t play.

If you have any questions about the site, contact me at Bradleykirksey at yahoo dot com. If you have any questions about formatting or money please contact the ACF at [email protected]. If you have any complaints, please direct them at
Office of George W. Bush
P.O. Box 259000
Dallas, TX 75225-9000
USA

We hope to see everyone there!
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: ACF Regionals @ UCF

Post by Susan »

The list of teams who have registered for this tournament may be found here.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Is anyone who has not registered planning on playing this tournament? If we're still at this level of interest in a few days we'll cancel this mirror and have the affected teams go to WKU or play in the online mirror. UCF would not be required to write a packet.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Mercer and Valencia are both expressing interest but haven't signed up yet. I'm not sure what UF is doing, if they backed out because they don't want to just play each other, or if they backed out for good or what. UCF is anticipating fielding at least 3 house teams if this goes through (our club has something like 16 people and some alum who like to read, so we can do this and still have enough staff.) I'm also contacting a few high schools and JUCOs that I haven't talked to before.

If UF can be convinced to come back, I think we can have a field of 8.

Also, this probably isn't relevant, but because of the rooms we've received, I'm putting a field cap at 14 for now, but we can probably add to that if given enough heads up.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Florida registered for our site. While anybody is welcome to come to WKU, obviously I would think UCF is a more logical site for UF to attend. If UCF's site doesn't get to make, you guys care welcome to come play in Bowling Green, but hopefully you get to host this mirror.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

This mirror is dissolved.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15