West Virginia High School Tournaments for rest of 2014

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

West Virginia High School Tournaments for rest of 2014

Post by AKKOLADE »

In case anyone is interested in attending a quiz bowl tournament in West Virginia for the rest of this season, here are the dates:

2/15 - Ripley High School Invitational (Ripley; IS-132)
3/1 - Philip Barbour High School Invitational (Philippi; IS-135A)
3/15 - Ravenswood High School Invitational (Ravenswood; IS-133A)
3/22 - Bridgeport High School Invitational (Bridgeport; IS-134)
3/29 - WVACA State Championship (Vienna; IS-136)
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Re: West Virginia High School Tournaments for rest of 2014

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Which of these, if any, is doing 20/20? Bridgeport did in 2013. Are these open registration or invitation only?
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm certain they're not pure invitationals; I basically named them Invitationals because quiz bowl tournaments in WV tend to not be named.

As for 20/20, I really don't know. That's something you'd have to ask the tournament hosts themselves (or me, once I get a copy of the invitation); the best I could do at this point is put you in touch with them.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Thanks for posting these here Fred, it would definitely be nice to see some new teams compete in Wv. If anyone is curious, Gw A will be going to Ripley, Bridgeport, and States, but only our B team will be at Phillip Barbour and Ravenswood.
Also, Tom, I don’t know about Bridgeport’s format yet, but Ripley will be doing 10 tossups, a 15 question Worksheet (unfortunately), and then 10 tossups with bonus. It’s not 20/20, but it’s at least a step toward a more balanced format.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm okay with the idea of a worksheet round, myself. Execution can be an issue sometimes, though.
Fred Morlan
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

I'd also like to note Virginia Tech has two dates reserved for tournaments this Spring. We're a surprisingly short drive for most WV teams and we frequently offer new team and travel discounts.

Our dates are:
3/15 - Tournament to be announced in the next two weeks. We'll likely be running IS-135A. (I'll be TD'ing this tournament!)
4/12 - Virginia Tech Spring Invitational (Prison Bowl)

I'll likely try to bill the 3/15 tournament as a warm-up for VA NAQT States as that tournament will be the following weekend. So hopefully we get a rather strong turnout regardless of the easier set.

Prison Bowl has been a very widely acclaimed set for the past couple of years and we're very happy to be mirroring it again this year. It's a regular difficulty set that makes for a great pre-Nationals tournament.

Both tournaments will be a full 20/20 with a morning round-robin and then a re-bracketed playoff. If you have any questions or would like an email notification (West Virginia schools only, please) when we make our announcements, please feel free to email me at [email protected].
Brian Mongilio
Virginia Tech '16, Treasurer 2011-Present
Parkersburg South (WV) '11
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

The tournament I originally had slated for 3/15 is now on 3/8 and more information can be found at: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15536&hilit=dan+goff+memorial
Brian Mongilio
Virginia Tech '16, Treasurer 2011-Present
Parkersburg South (WV) '11
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Philip Barbour is on IS-135A and rounds will consist of "10 tossups with bonuses, a 15-question worksheet, and 10 tossups with bonuses to conclude." They're apparently planning on using Swiss Pairs. There's a registration deadline of 2/23. The fee is $40/team. I can forward the form required for registration to anyone.

If anyone was interested in this Saturday's tournament in Ripley, they might not allow any more registrations, but they're doing the above format without bonuses on the first ten tossups. $45/team.

Bridgeport, still on 3/22, is using IS-134. They're doing ten tossups with no bonuses, then ten tossups with bonuses. I think it's 5 prelim rounds (not sure how these are determined) and then the top 4 teams do a round robin for the top four spots, with Swiss Pairs consolation rounds for the rest of teams. Registration deadline is 3/14. $45/team.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The Ripley tournament has been postponed due to weather. No new date has been announced yet.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Update: Ripley will now be held on March 8th.
Fred Morlan