Virginia NAQT States at UVA (Charlottesville; 3/22/14)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Virginia NAQT States at UVA (Charlottesville; 3/22/14)

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

The Academic Competition Club at UVA will be hosting the Virginia NAQT State Championship on March 22, 2014 using NAQT IS-136, the designated state tournament set. We will not be using computational math tossups at this tournament, and the field is tentatively capped at 21 teams (this will be updated once our rooms people get back to me; I will investigate other options if they can't get us a reasonable number). All Virginia middle and high schools, public and private, are eligible for this tournament.

Location: This tournament will be held in New Cabell Hall, and we'll be meeting at 8:30 AM in room 187.

Parking: There is a decent-sized parking lot quite close to New Cabell. An address you can plug into a GPS that will get you close to this lot is 400 Brandon Avenue, Charlottesville, VA. That address is for the Elson Student Health Center, which will be on your left as you turn onto Brandon from Jefferson Park Avenue. Student Health also has a parking lot but threatens to tow without a UVA permit. The lot I suggest is past Student Health on Brandon Ave and will be on the right. Once you've parked, New Cabell Hall is the very large building across Jefferson Park Avenue. If you cross the street at JPA and Brandon, turn left and walk up the ramp or stairs to the side door of the building, which will put you on the first floor on the right side of the building. Both stairs and an elevator are accessible from this entrance.

This tournament will be a chance to qualify for both the NAQT HSNCT (top 15% of the field will qualify) and the PACE NSC (top 25% of the field will qualify).

Team size: There can be a maximum number of 6 players on each team’s roster, with substitutions possible at half-time and between games. If you wish to bring 7 or 8 players, we ask that you register a second team, and so on for anyone with larger numbers of players.

Food: There is a buffet-style dining hall near New Cabell Hall that will be open on this date. I’ll have a list of other food options available on the day of the tournament as well. We will not be providing breakfast or lunch for teams.

Fee structure:
Base fee: $70 per team
Buzzer discount: $5 for each system on which the control box and 8 buzzers work.
Staff discount: $10 for a parent, coach, non-playing student, etc. To qualify for the discount, volunteer staffers must stay through all games, not including finals.
Travel discount (200 miles or more, one way): $10
Minimum fee: $45

To register, please email our new tournament director, James Hartnett, at [email protected]. Checks should be made out to “Academic Competition Club,” though we can also accept cash. Please pay either in advance or, preferably, on the day of the tournament. If you wish to pay in advance, please indicate this in your registration and I will send you an address. Likewise, please let me (Sarah, though James can forward any requests to me) know if you will need an invoice and/or a W-9.

We hope to see you all in March!
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
suchacardinal
Lulu

Re: Virginia NAQT States at UVA (Charlottesville; 3/22/14)

Post by suchacardinal »

Field as of 3/20/14: Field is now closed

Loudoun County
Western Albemarle
Blacksburg
Cave Spring (3)
Maggie Walker (3)
TJ (3)
Rappahannock
Virginia Episcopal School
New Kent
Clover Hill (2)
North Cross
Last edited by suchacardinal on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 am, edited 13 times in total.
James Hartnett
Saint Thomas Academy '12
University of Virginia '16
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Should NASAT tryouts be planned to be held on this day? I unfortunately won't be able to make it to this tournament, but this is probably as good as any tournament to start deciding Team Virginia.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Einhard wrote:Should NASAT tryouts be planned to be held on this day? I unfortunately won't be able to make it to this tournament, but this is probably as good as any tournament to start deciding Team Virginia.
If there's sufficient interest, this would probably work. Team Virginia as yet does not have a coach, so if anyone out there is interested and would like to be involved in tryouts if they happen, let us know.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

I have been assured that we will hear back about how many rooms we have for this within 10 business days at the latest; I'm hoping for sooner. Apparently they started working on weekend requests later than usual this semester. At that point I'll be able to edit a specific meeting room into the first post, and James can set a hard field cap.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

We now have 12 rooms in New Cabell Hall and a hard cap of 24 teams.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The editors of DRAGOON have graciously agreed to let us use their set for NASAT tryouts. Please continuing signing up with James if you are interested (with the caveat that tryouts will only occur if more than 6 students are interested).
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Sam L,
PACE