MD Quizbowl Championship -- UMD Regional (2/22/14)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mewto55555
Tidus

MD Quizbowl Championship -- UMD Regional (2/22/14)

Post by Mewto55555 »

HSAPQ, in conjunction with the Maryland Quizbowl Championship Association, is pleased to announce our Maryland regional tournament at the University of Maryland, College Park on Saturday, February 22, 2014! The top 4 teams from this tournament will qualify for the Maryland Quizbowl Championship at University of Maryland, College Park on April 6.

Both the regional events and the Maryland Quizbowl Championship will use HSAPQ’s 8-8-8 format: a first and third period of 8 powermarked tossups followed by a one-part bonus read to the team which correctly answers the tossup, and a second period of 8 directed bonus parts, 4 for each team. This format is designed to provide quicker-moving games to keep new teams engaged, piquing their interest in quizbowl and drawing them to regular local events.

To register or find out more information, please visit http://www.mdquizbowl.com/!
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
QOHS
Lulu

Re: MD Quizbowl Championship -- UMD Regional (2/22/14)

Post by QOHS »

Is there a list of registered teams for this regional event?
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Quince Orchard High School
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Current Field:

Eleanor Roosevelt HS
Don Bosco Cristo Rey HS
Quince Orchard
South River
Max
QOHS
Lulu

Post by QOHS »

Do we know how a tournament with 3 teams is going to work? Or where/when we need to report somewhere?
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Quince Orchard High School
Gaithersburg, Maryland
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

QOHS wrote:Do we know how a tournament with 3 teams is going to work? Or where/when we need to report somewhere?
quintuple round robin?
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
VishnuRachakonda
Lulu

Post by VishnuRachakonda »

The lack of communication sort of sucks. I'd love to play these teams, but it doesn't look likely this tournament will happen. As it is, we can send all freshmen and qualify for states since top 4 from each regional go to states.
Vishnu Rachakonda
Eleanor Roosevelt '14
Penn '18
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I have been in communication with your coach all week, including giving him the update on where to play the tournament and answering his request for an invoice. As far as I know, he is still planning to take your team to the tournament, which is in fact happening. All teams registered received an update on Monday with final info on time, place, & format. The reason this information went to your coach and not you is because he is the person who registered your team, using his e-mail address, and he was the one who actively got in touch with me when he needed additional information on the invoice.

Generally speaking, these tournaments are using email and not this forum to disseminate information because many of the teams involved do not read the forum.

The UMCP site received two late registrations, so it will now be able to play a nine-game schedule (triple round robin among four teams).
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
VishnuRachakonda
Lulu

Post by VishnuRachakonda »

Hey Matt:

Sorry if the message above gave off a negative impression. It's just that a tournament with only 4 teams seems to be a waste of time for all involved, especially since all of us have already qualified. My coach let me know he got the details, but I was just talking about responses on the board. There was a stretch where our emails and posts weren't answered and we were concerned the tournament wasn't going to happen (we're on a shoestring budget and our coach chose this tourney over the HFT mirror at OM). Nevertheless, I am rooting for the tournament to be good!
Vishnu Rachakonda
Eleanor Roosevelt '14
Penn '18
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

That's understandable -- it is our hope that this tournament grows from the first-year learning experience and that it serves both of its intended major functions:

1) getting teams who have never played a non-IA tournament/never played anything at all including IA to play a good Saturday event -- based on initial registration, this has been achieved, with several brand-new teams responding to the paper mail campaign and registering for various sites
2) allowing established teams to have the cachet of a true Maryland state championship to use in fundraising/prestige -- this, I think, will help ER and other programs with the budget situation you allude to. I feel that in this particular aspect, the amorphous "Maryland/DC" NAQT tournament can be a barrier to effectively communicating the idea of "state championship" placement to people outside of quizbowl. This is also why we insisted on having regionals and not allowing B teams; we want this to become the tournament where everyone puts forth their best lineup to try to qualify.

Overall, the goal of this program is to bring the good parts of what Virginia, Illinois, and Missouri have to more states -- that is, the benefits of having a single championship tournament that nearly EVERY school in the state participates in -- while using HSAPQ's good quizbowl commitment to make sure that, e.g., the question quality issues in Illinois or the competitive restrictions of Missouri do not become part and parcel of that. All of the good, none of the bad.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Bloodwych
Wakka

Post by Bloodwych »

Quince Orchard cleared the field, winning the tournament. Eleanor Roosevelt placed second. Thanks to all the teams who came out and played!
🚿
Quince Orchard HS '11
Maryland - College Park '15

Well, you built up a world of magic
Because your real life is tragic
Yeah, you built up a world of magic
DBCRQB
Kimahri

Post by DBCRQB »

On behalf of DBCR's team at this tournament, I want to thank everyone - other students, coaches, and the administrators of the tournament for their courtesy and assistance to our beginner team at this tournament. This was DBCR's first venture into the world of high school quiz bowl competition, and it was a great learning opportunity for our students (and for me as the coach as well).

Our students and I are excited about the possibility of growth and improvement in the future, and would love to hear any further advice on future tournaments that might be more at the skill level of our beginning students.

Thanks again, and we are looking forward to seeing everyone again on April 6.
Brian Brower
University of Richmond
Coach, Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School, Takoma Park, MD
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Congratulations to the four state championship qualifiers: Quince Orchard, Eleanor Roosevelt, Don Bosco Cristo Rey, and South River! These four teams have been invited to the state finals at Maryland on 4/6 -- if you are the coach of one of these teams and did not receive an email update, please contact us immediately.

Full stats will be posted as soon as HSAPQ receives the scoresheets in the mail. We hope everyone enjoyed the tournament, and please email if you have any feedback about the questions or the tournament!
Max
Bolt52
Lulu

Post by Bolt52 »

Mewto55555 wrote:Full stats will be posted as soon as HSAPQ receives the scoresheets in the mail.
How/Can a team view these stats? Will a team be able to access these in some way in order to analyze performance?
Hunter Whaples
Freshie Class of 2017
Eleanor Roosevelt HS Team A '14

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake.
-GLaDOS
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Bolt52 wrote:
Mewto55555 wrote:Full stats will be posted as soon as HSAPQ receives the scoresheets in the mail.
How/Can a team view these stats? Will a team be able to access these in some way in order to analyze performance?
I believe that is the point of posting stats.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Bolt52
Lulu

Post by Bolt52 »

Mr. Joyboy wrote:I believe that is the point of posting stats.
Okay, I was being kind of dumb there. What I mean to ask is: Where can teams view the stats from this tournament once they get posted?
Hunter Whaples
Freshie Class of 2017

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake.
-GLaDOS
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

They'll be posted here. The delay is on UMD's end, not HSAPQ, but they should be getting them soon.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Bolt52
Lulu

Post by Bolt52 »

Emily Krok wrote:The delay is on UMD's end
It would be nice if these stats could be posted this week, ERHS was hoping to use them to make some preparations for the championship on April 6.

Thank you!
Hunter Whaples
Freshie Class of 2017

-GLaDOS