Young adult literature

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Young adult literature

Post by pajaro bobo »

Split from the distribution discussion --Mgmt.

I just really wish NAQT would leave YA/children's lit out of the lit distribution.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
MorganV
Mafiarator

Re: Distribution

Post by MorganV »

AlexLiu wrote:I just really wish NAQT would leave YA/children's lit out of the lit distribution.
Is this a new thing? I don't remember it being a problem until this year's HSNCT.
Morgan Venkus
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

All of those children's lit questions felt really out of place the one time I was at MSNCT
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

MorganV wrote: Is this a new thing? I don't remember it being a problem until this year's HSNCT.
It's probably not as big a problem as I'm making it sound, but I've just always been slightly annoyed whenever it's happened, especially seeing how lit is the smallest of the three "major" categories in NAQT's distribution.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

AlexLiu wrote:
MorganV wrote: Is this a new thing? I don't remember it being a problem until this year's HSNCT.
It's probably not as big a problem as I'm making it sound, but I've just always been slightly annoyed whenever it's happened, especially seeing how lit is the smallest of the three "major" categories in NAQT's distribution.
There were quite a few kid lit questions in this year's set; I most notably remember the final question of round 4 of the playoffs was a Diana Wynne Jones tossup that decided our game against Maggie Walker, and that the final question of round 8 against LASA was also kid lit.

Is there a set number of kid lit tossups that are mandated in the NAQT subdistros?
Morgan Venkus
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

I guess I wouldn't know, seeing that Hooch didn't get very far. All I remember was that John Green tossup in the last round of prelims during an extremely frustrating game against Olmsted Falls.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

MorganV wrote:
AlexLiu wrote:I just really wish NAQT would leave YA/children's lit out of the lit distribution.
Is this a new thing? I don't remember it being a problem until this year's HSNCT.
This was a distribution change prior to the 2012-13 season.

The current HSNCT distribution calls for 3/2 YA/children's literature; the current IS set distribution calls for 2/2.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

MorganV wrote:I most notably remember the final question of round 4 of the playoffs was a Diana Wynne Jones tossup that decided our game against Maggie Walker
This appears to have actually been a tossup on Ursula K. LeGuin.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
MorganV wrote:I most notably remember the final question of round 4 of the playoffs was a Diana Wynne Jones tossup that decided our game against Maggie Walker
\

This appears to have actually been a tossup on Ursula K. LeGuin.
yeah, my bad, it was negged with DWJ
Morgan Venkus
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

It should be noted that a large amount of Ursula K. LeGuin's work is not, in fact, children's or YA lit. Genre lit is not the same as kid lit, and while there are certainly arguments against including genre lit, those aren't really the same as those against kid lit. LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness won a Hugo and a Nebula. Those are not awards normally given to works intended for children, and if you've read that book, you know that it wasn't intended for children.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Important Bird Area

And indeed this tossup was not classified as children's or YA literature.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Capitoline
Lulu

Post by Capitoline »

Lefty734 wrote:Last year, I felt like there was way too much geography and science, and I felt there wasn't enough literature (but I am biased because that is my specialty). Now this year after reading some packets, I feel that there is a lot of current events, pop culture, and trash lit.
I'm curious to know how many NAQT sets you've read this year.

Pertaining to the topic, I don't mind a small amount of kid lit. However, it could be difficult to determine what is canon, as, aside from Dr. Seuss, most of us probably grew up reading different things.
Ben Cushing
Phoenixville '14
Penn '18
Lefty734
Lulu

Post by Lefty734 »

Capitoline wrote:
Lefty734 wrote:Last year, I felt like there was way too much geography and science, and I felt there wasn't enough literature (but I am biased because that is my specialty). Now this year after reading some packets, I feel that there is a lot of current events, pop culture, and trash lit.

Pertaining to the topic, I don't mind a small amount of kid lit. However, it could be difficult to determine what is canon, as, aside from Dr. Seuss, most of us probably grew up reading different things.
Well, what I meant by that is that my perception has changed over the summer somehow. I have read one set so far this year, but even using packets from previous years in practice, I started realizing how much trash there is. Something else that I noticed is that the questions are only about 3 lines long. Is it just that certain sets for NAQT are that short, or have I been misjudging how long questions are?
Nick Pinto
Flowery Branch High School '15
"Rappaccini's Daughters"
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Lefty734 wrote:
Capitoline wrote:

Well, what I meant by that is that my perception has changed over the summer somehow. I have read one set so far this year, but even using packets from previous years in practice, I started realizing how much trash there is. Something else that I noticed is that the questions are only about 3 lines long. Is it just that certain sets for NAQT are that short, or have I been misjudging how long questions are?
A-sets have tossups that are about 3 lines long. I think regular IS sets are 4.5-5 lines long for tossups (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Jeff).
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Insolvency law of Canada
Lulu

Post by Insolvency law of Canada »

What was the thought process behind adding YA lit to IS sets? Is it to make them more accessible to the average highschooler?
Patrick LeBlanc
High Technology High School '10-'14
Captain '13-'14
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Hurrah!Praga! wrote:Is it to make them more accessible to the average highschooler?
If this is the reason, I don't really think it does. But there are conversion stats available, that would be cool.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Important Bird Area

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:A-sets have tossups that are about 3 lines long. I think regular IS sets are 4.5-5 lines long for tossups (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Jeff).
This is quite correct.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Hurrah!Praga! wrote:What was the thought process behind adding YA lit to IS sets? Is it to make them more accessible to the average highschooler?
Yes. In general, we thought we were under-asking YA topics that would likely be far more easily converted than (whatever the most difficult non-YA literature tossup in a given IS set is).

We'll see if we succeed in meeting that goal, but here's some data:

2013 HSNCT, all literature: 81.3% conversion
2013 HSNCT, YA literature: 98.6% conversion
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

What kinds of answerlines are being categorized as YA Lit?
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Important Bird Area

Alliance in the Alps wrote:What kinds of answerlines are being categorized as YA Lit?
2013 HSNCT:

Tossups: Narnia, John Green, horcruxes

Bonuses: Holes/Sachar/elevators, Katniss Everdeen/Caesar Flickerman/Enobaria
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

:kenj:QAreWeNotKen: Do we have the new distribution prepared?

Image HENTZELBOT4000: YES BZZT YES

Image HENTZELBOT4000: 10 INCREASE DISTRIBUTION OF CHILDREN'S LIT

Image HENTZELBOT4000: 20 WAIT FOR HSQB POSTERS TO OVER-EXAGGERATE HOW MUCH IT WAS inCREASED BY

Image HENTZELBOT4000: 30 FINALLY REPLACE ALL SCIENCE TOSSUPS WITH GEOGRAPHY

:kenj:QAreWeNotKen: Brilliant!

Image HENTZELBOT4000: I CALL IT WAG THE IRC CHATLOG

Image HENTZELBOT4000: ONCE I REPLACE ALL PAINTING TOSSUPS WITH ONES ABOUT VELVET ELVISES

Image HENTZELBOT4000: I WILL NO LONGER HAVE TO RELY UPON HAMSTER POWER WITH THE RAGE OF HSNCT PLAYERS WHO FINISH T65TH

ImageHereComesTheCheyne: But there aren't enough questions about My Three Sons!

Image HENTZELBOT4000: NO ONE CARES

ImageHereComesTheCheyne: This is the saddest I've been since The Phil Silvers Show was canceled.

:kenj:QAreWeNotKen: We must now summon our scribe to record our changes.

Image HENTZELBOT4000: COME HERE MORDECAI

ImageHOPPESONPOPPES: /soars in, lands on prosthetic arm attached to hentzelbot mainframe
/is magnificent

Image HENTZELBOT4000: I NEED YOU TO CARRY THIS MESSAGE TO THE LAND OF THE FORUMS. THE LAND OF WEENZ.

ImageHOPPESONPOPPES: /writes tossup on Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
/flies away
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Where could one find the current distribution for A-Sets? I think I noticed substantially more than 2/2 children's lit in the set I was reading today.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

As an English teacher, I have noticed the increase in YA/"kids" lit references, but I think it is worth pointing out that this shift is also occurring in the larger world of literature right now, not just in NAQT's distribution. Walk into a library or a bookstore, and the largest new section you're going to find is the Teen Lit/YA section, which is dominated by odd paranormal and dystopian fiction, but has some work with surprising depth to it as well. The reality of our country's literary development is that so-called YA lit is a seriously large marketplace, and authors are pouring into it. It's getting a ton of publicity and marketing push, and all of that raises the cultural prominence of the genre. It is taken much more seriously than it used to be within educational circles, for better or for worse. I can understand people objecting to increased YA representation in the high school game based on the lack of a clear canon, as it means that people are really forced to rely on bestseller lists or word of mouth to know what they need to know, but I don't see the inclusion of YA as being an extension of trash or widening of pop culture as opposed to reshaping the lit category to include a major new area of growth.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
Important Bird Area

vinteuil wrote:Where could one find the current distribution for A-Sets? I think I noticed substantially more than 2/2 children's lit in the set I was reading today.
I've asked R. to post a copy of the A-set distribution. It does contain more children's/YA literature than the distribution used for regular-difficulty IS sets.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

zachary_yan
Lulu

Post by zachary_yan »

I've noticed that there's something like 0/1 Harry Potter per tournament distribution at every HSNCT, can anyone confirm this?
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant
Important Bird Area

The 2012 and 2013 HSNCT contained Harry Potter questions (1/0 and 1/1 respectively); the 2011 set did not. (that is: there is no fixed quota of Potter-related questions)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Capricious
Lulu

Post by Capricious »

In the IS-A tournament I moderated for this weekend. 6 out of the 11 rounds used contained a Young Adult "Lit" tossup. Of these 6, the conversion stats:
2/6
0/7
0/8
8/8
5/5
5/5

Leaving aside the discussion of whether NAQT should use YA "Lit", if the goal is conversion, then 3 out of the 6 questions failed for our tournament, and were not more convertible than whatever constitutes a conventional "hard" lit tossup. Because we had many close games this weekend, having a YA "Lit" question go dead potentially affected the outcome of many games. The answer line choice for these questions should be examined.

Personally, I think YA "Lit", if it must be used, should be shoved into trash and not come at the expense of the Lit distribution.
Joe Yu
Person in Arizona
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

Capricious wrote:In the IS-A tournament I moderated for this weekend. 6 out of the 11 rounds used contained a Young Adult "Lit" tossup. Of these 6, the conversion stats:
2/6
0/7
0/8
8/8
5/5
5/5

Leaving aside the discussion of whether NAQT should use YA "Lit", if the goal is conversion, then 3 out of the 6 questions failed for our tournament, and were not more convertible than whatever constitutes a conventional "hard" lit tossup. Because we had many close games this weekend, having a YA "Lit" question go dead potentially affected the outcome of many games. The answer line choice for these questions should be examined.

Personally, I think YA "Lit", if it must be used, should be shoved into trash and not come at the expense of the Lit distribution.
Do those numbers signify gets/negs, powers/gets, or something else? They're not immediately clear to me.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
Capricious
Lulu

Post by Capricious »

It's simply the number of rooms that converted the tossup / the number of rooms that heard the tossup.

Basically the YA Lit that isn't super famous/has been made into a movie had a lower conversion rate than Math Comp. I'm pretty sure out of every tossup read, those two YA Lit tossups were the only ones to not have been converted by anyone. Obviously this is a small sample size at only one tournament in Arizona, I am curious if this is a problem with other NAQT sets at other tournaments.
Joe Yu
Person in Arizona
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

At the A-set tournament we played at Tipp, out of the x+1 YA lit tossups we heard, I only recall one of them getting answered (my teammate powered it). The other such tossups I recall just simply went dead w/ no negs. Of the x+1 YA Lit bonuses we heard, all but one were just simply converted for zero points. The one that wasn't converted for zero points was swept for all thirty points by my same teammate who powered the YA lit as previously mentioned. The conclusion we drew after the tournament is that YA lit is an "all-or-nothing" sort of deal.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Lefty734
Lulu

Post by Lefty734 »

Capricious wrote:Personally, I think YA "Lit", if it must be used, should be shoved into trash and not come at the expense of the Lit distribution.
I agree with this. I am fine with trash lit coming up at tournaments, but it is extremely frustrating when one of the four literature questions per game is taken by a trash lit question.
Nick Pinto
Flowery Branch High School '15
"Rappaccini's Daughters"
cchiego
Yuna

Re: Young adult literature

Post by cchiego »

The YA literature in the IS-A set we heard today (IS-131A) did not go over well at the tournament I was at. Other coaches complained about it and I didn't see much of it converted by the players. Definitely recommend it gets taken out or pushed into the trash distribution.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

cchiego wrote:The YA literature in the IS-A set we heard today (IS-131A) did not go over well at the tournament I was at. Other coaches complained about it and I didn't see much of it converted by the players. Definitely recommend it gets taken out or pushed into the trash distribution.
I agree. Our lit player constantly gets annoyed that this takes away from his distribution. Frankly, it is super annoying and takes away from the general experince of playing quizbowl.
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

Chunky Sean wrote: I agree. Our lit player constantly gets annoyed that this takes away from his distribution. Frankly, it is super annoying and takes away from the general experince of playing quizbowl.
Mr. Scogan wrote: The conclusion we drew after the tournament is that YA lit is an "all-or-nothing" sort of deal.
I agree with both of these statements.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

Having just played on half of the set 131A yesterday, I too can attest to the number of people who were unhappy with the young adult literature that appeared in the set. In the morning I counted two, possibly three, questions of the kind, out of those I found that only one was "widely" converted, around 40% of the people I asked said it was converted in their room. This is opposed to around 10% compared to the other two. I understand that NAQT Intro sets are trying to be inclusive to newer players, but seeing as even new players aren't getting these questions I don't see the point of counting it as literature, which requires actual knowledge as opposed to luck.
Lawrence Simon
Quince Orchard Class of '15
University of Virginia Class of '19
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

I think a lot of the problem here is that NAQT writers are using any best-selling YA author or title as an answerline instead of looking at the (extremely! limited) canon and using clues from that like they do with other literature—i.e. slightly deeper questions on the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight, etc. (and by "slightly deeper" that still doesn't mean the answerline can be much deeper than "Katniss Everdeen," even if the question can be much harder than that answerline suggests).
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
msbg360
Lulu

Post by msbg360 »

vinteuil wrote:I. slightly deeper questions on the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight, etc. (and by "slightly deeper" that still doesn't mean the answerline can be much deeper than "Katniss Everdeen," even if the question can be much harder than that answerline suggests).
As much as I dislike YA lit for taking away from the more traditional lit distribution. I think that the idea suggested by Jacob would be much more effective in carrying out NAQT's goals in helping newer players.
Manu Gargeya
The Early College at Guilford '14
North Carolina State University '18
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

A lot of people in this thread are unjustifiably assuming that anything written for people under the age of 18 cannot qualify as literature. Harry Potter or The Hunger Games, for example, are good books that people engage with through pop culture, but if you think that The Little Prince or Ursula LeGuin have no literary merit and that nobody looks at them seriously, I don't really know what to say. Questions on the former are totally appropriate for the trash distribution; putting questions on the latter there is silly.

I guess I feel sort of like I'm making the same arguments from "are the Beatles or Bob Dylan FA" thread, but the equivalent for this situation would be saying the Benjamin Brittan should be trash because he wrote some stuff targeted at kids.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

Put it in trash lit. The trash distro for NAQT is already large enough...
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
zachary_yan
Lulu

Post by zachary_yan »

Most people grow up reading books like Holes and Harry Potter for English/language arts class in primary school as a way to learn basic literacy skills. So it's actually part of the school curriculum and therefore fair should be grounds in the distribution. That being said no one ever writes PhD dissertations on John Green or Louis Sachar, unless it was some sort of social criticism, so it's not like YA lit is truly academic in most senses. Therefore YA lit should be like language arts in that it's exclusive to lower difficulties of play, unless it's part of the trash distro.
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant