Results: Myth Singles

Old college threads.
setht
Auron

Results: Myth Singles

Post by setht »

14 players participated in the UIUC edition of Myth Singles 1: Tlazolteotl Chows Down. Congratulations to Seth Kendall, who took first place with an overtime win in the first game of the final series.

Players were split randomly into two brackets of 7, played a 7-round round robin, then were seeded into brackets of 4, 4, 3, and 3 for a 3-round round robin. Since there were always two players with byes, and we had 7 readers, bye players played cross-bracket games for fun, but these games did not count for standings or PPG. Here are the standings for the first 7 rounds of play, the next 3 rounds of play (4 rounds for Seth and Susan, since there was one additional finals series game), and PPG for the first 7 rounds of play:

Seth Kendall 6-0, 4-0, 145.833 PPG
Susan Ferrari 6-0, 2-2, 146.667 PPG
Andrew Yaphe 5-1, 1-2, 115 PPG
Will Turner 5-1, 0-3, 105 PPG

Jerry Vinokurov 4-2, 3-0, 110.833 PPG
Mike Sorice 4-2, 1-2, 89.167 PPG
Selene Koo 3-3, 2-1, 89.167 PPG
Gerald Patton 3-3, 0-3, 61.667 PPG

Ryan Westbrook 2-4, 2-0, 86.667 PPG
Dan Fuller 2-4, 1-1, 46.667 PPG
Ryan Taber 1-5, 0-2, 25.833 PPG

Bruce Arthur 1-5, 2-0, 62.5 PPG
Hunter Wight 0-6, 1-1, 28.333 PPG
Victor Rosenberg 0-6, 0-2, 28.333 PPG

Looking over the results, I can see that I messed up in assigning Ryan Taber to the 3rd bracket and Bruce Arthur to the 4th bracket. My apologies to the affected players.

I would like to thank and congratulate the players for making it through an extra 10 rounds of quiz bowl at the end of a full day. I would especially like to thank the readers who helped me out: Chris Goheen, Matt Lafer, Paul Litvak, Sudheer Potru, Leah Williams, and Donald from UIUC. I would also like to thank Mike Sorice for making sure we had rooms and printing out copies of the schedule.

I'll have more to say about the tournament at some later time. For now, I'll just say I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

-Seth

p.s.--are there any results (official or unofficial) from the Florida or Oklahoma sites?
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

The results from Orlando are simple. Ahmad Ragab of USF read the first two rounds to me, Raj Dhuwalia, and Billy Beyer of FSU starting around 11 pm after we'd all been moderating the first day of my Delta Burke CC tournament. Raj and I probably answered roughly the same amount of questions, though he was drinking rum and coke and I was drinking Red Stripe. Then Billy read rounds 3 and 4, and I think Raj outscored me on those two, as I was on my fourth and fifth Red Stripes and stood outside to have a smoke while craning my head back into my kitchen to hear some of the questions, which limited my ability to win buzzer races (well, we were yelling "buzz," anyway).

We didn't have access to the other rounds, as I only got the first four so far. But I also read those four to my CC players Saturday after our tournament, but we all got distracted by the exciting end of the FSU-NC St game. Still, I know the question set will help my players a great deal, as I'm sure it will anyone who takes the time to check 'em out.

I want to praise Seth for not only writing such excellent, challenging lead-ins to things that often became quite gettable by even my newer CC players by the end, and further for enhancing his reputation as the nicest guy on the circuit for sharing said packets so generously.
--cborg
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

I, too, would like to echo Chris' sentiments about this tournament...frankly, I'm glad I decided to stick around and moderate for it. The questions were outstanding, as were the players.

Congratulations to Seth K and Susan for an outstanding performance at our version, and to Seth T for a very intense yet very gettable set of questions...it's rare to see questions that are this challenging and also this accessible. Impressive work, dude.
jazzerpoet
Wakka

Tulsa Myth Singles

Post by jazzerpoet »

Greetings, everyone! Twelve competitors from six schools competed in the extremely well-written Tulsa Myth Singles. We used the Eric Hilleman shoot-out format in the preliminary rounds, which were played during lunch. We split the field into two rooms of six players. And we used the first two rounds (40 tossups) to determine the seedings for the playoffs. The mark was set at 60 points.

Room A:
1. Matt Nance: Texas - Austin
2. Kris McNeely: Arkansas
3. Dhananjay Jagannathan: Texas - Austin

Room B:
1. Jeremy Hixson: Oklahoma A
2. Phill Melton: Tulsa
3. Chris Romero: Texas A&M

Originally, we were planning on playing a single elimination playoff system, based on the standings from the preliminary rounds, but as it was getting late, and everyone was getting tired, we played an 11-player free-for-all Battle Royal. The mark was set at 150 points. It took only four packets for a winner to be declared. On the penultimate tossup of the fourth packet (Round 6), Jeremy Hixson of Oklahoma A answered a tossup about "the Sun and the Moon." Jeremy pretty much dominated throughout the Battle Royal; he was the only player with more than 30 points who did not neg.

Final Results:
1. Jeremy Hixson: Oklahoma A
2. Matt Nance: Texas - Austin
3. Phill Melton: Tulsa

I want to thank Seth for providing such exquisite questions. Throughout the entire Myth tournament, there was nothing but praise for the questions. I think that out of all the questions we heard (the first 6 packets), there were only three or four that went unanswered (most of which were about Celtic mythology). I think that that is the truest testament to how great yet accessible the questions were. I know that everyone had fun playing on them. And I hope that by reading through all of them, I might become a stronger mythology player.

By the way, stats for the Golden Hurricane Open should be posted in the next day or two. Thanks.

Cheers!
Angelo Malabanan