Predictions for Next Year

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

The amazing thing about it is that it runs like a German train. Mr. Barry has quite an infrastructure in place.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

With apologies to everyone else whose tournament I've been involved with (including several of my own), Brookwood's tournament is the most well-run tournament in terms of logistics that I have ever seen. Rick runs a very organized system through prelims and playoffs, and it seems like everyone has fun, and there really aren't any noticeable problems. And to be able to do that with 120 teams really makes it that much more impressive.

If you only go to one quiz bowl tournament this season (or any other) and you're either close enough or can afford the overnight expenses, go to Brookwood.
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Byko wrote:With apologies to everyone else whose tournament I've been involved with (including several of my own), Brookwood's tournament is the most well-run tournament in terms of logistics that I have ever seen. Rick runs a very organized system through prelims and playoffs, and it seems like everyone has fun, and there really aren't any noticeable problems. And to be able to do that with 120 teams really makes it that much more impressive.

If you only go to one quiz bowl tournament this season (or any other) and you're either close enough or can afford the overnight expenses, go to Brookwood.
I shall vehemently second that.
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

another potential spoiler/dark horse team is Millburn from NJ. We have had the opportunity to play them twice, once beating them (at Rugters. both of us were undefeated and it was similar to college playoff format, from what i have heard. whichever team won that match was basically the champion) and losing to them at Princeton. They were also ahead of State College A for a significant portion of the final match (at Princeton), according to State College's website
During the finals, A-team, though trailing for the majority of the round, managed to power or +10 the five of the last six tossups to zoom ahead of 3rd seed Millburn A 335-300, taking 1st place and winning the tournament
Abhi Hendi
University Of Pennsylvania '10
kiwi
Kimahri

Post by kiwi »

I predict a good chance of snow, but i really would like to know why there is such a stupid registering process. Does anyone on this site play sports, just wanting to know
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

kiwi wrote:I predict a good chance of snow, but i really would like to know why there is such a stupid registering process. Does anyone on this site play sports, just wanting to know
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

Is delaware the only state that has to use a A level packet for teams to actually score points (other than us)? :roll:
Abhi Hendi
University Of Pennsylvania '10
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Insaneindian: When I first started coaching quiz bowl in Illini about thirteen years ago, we had the same problem. We still doin a large part of the state. Two suggestions: 1) be patient, as the actiity becomes popuar the strong students and teams will want better. If yu don't have time to wait, seek out others who feel as you do.
hhssteve
Lulu

Re: Southeast

Post by hhssteve »

gtstinger wrote:In the southeast, you can never rule out Dorman, Brookwood, and Walton. They always have strong teams. Seems that everytime we expect a "rebuilding year" out of them, they come up stronger than before.
OK, here it is: the comparison post I've been holding back.

Why is it that in the southeast we can beat Walton and Dorman, have some cosmic losing force descend upon us for Brookwood, and don't seem to do terribly well nationally??? I mean, we've beaten Dorman several times, and they WIN at nationals.

The Heritage team looks pretty good for next year: we've got the twins and this year's 2 team (whose been pretty good) returning, and a junior girl next year who looks to be awesome.

And JR/Rick does run a phenomenal tourney.
thepowerofche
Lulu

Re: Southeast

Post by thepowerofche »

hhssteve wrote: Why is it that in the southeast we can beat Walton and Dorman, have some cosmic losing force descend upon us for Brookwood, and don't seem to do terribly well nationally??? I mean, we've beaten Dorman several times, and they WIN at nationals.
It's because we slipped something in the Heritage kids' drinks our first year at ACE camp. That's really all I'm allowed to say...
hhssteve
Lulu

Post by hhssteve »

That explains it! So the moral of the story is that friendly dudes and a crazy fun short girl are just a ruse for a long-term poisoning. Oh well.

Gee, thepowerofche, I sure do hope you're Bobby (Rob) or Casey, otherwise the joke isn't quite as funny. If it was. Anyway how was Beta?

And my predictions for next year are a strong GA field, good SC teams, and still so few Alabama teams at tournaments Heritage attends that if not for camp we wouldn't believe quizbowl existed there.
thepowerofche
Lulu

Post by thepowerofche »

Beta went pretty well; we beat Parkview in the semis and Warner Robins in the finals. The questions were your standard Beta fare (I don't know if you've heard them before, but if you have, you know what I mean), and no bounce-back bonuses = >.<, but it wasn't so bad all things considered. I saw the Bulldog Brawl stats; you guys played well. Chattahoochee is a tough team to beat this year.
Last edited by thepowerofche on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hhssteve
Lulu

Post by hhssteve »

Congrats on Beta. I have no clue about the strange animal known as Beta Club; never got around to joining and have never seen the questions... I'm guessing they're quite different from NAQT.

Yes, Chatahoochee is an awesome team this year, and they're program looks strong for next year, too. As for the brawl itself, I had a mediocre tourney, but it was the first time in a while that our whole first team could play together.

5A state oughta be a fun fight this year, as will 4A. LOTS of strong teams this year.
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

???
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

???
Bada is a spambot. The administrators should feel free to delete this post and the two previous ones.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
longlivebakunin
Kimahri

SC

Post by longlivebakunin »

Just want to let everyone know that State College is the best school out there and anyone who didn't predict them in the top 3 is on crack.
nurgles_herald
Lulu

Post by nurgles_herald »

Well, we did graduate John and Justin, so who knew? Everyone might have expected a year of reconstruction. Obviously we don't really need one, but you can't just go around saying that we're 'obviously' the best team. A team has lost before, you know. There are several teams that have a chance of winning nationals this year, instead of an assured TJ sweep. So, while I thank you for the revolutionary zeal in which you espouse our greatness, we haven't won the nationals yet, so don't go placing your bets.
Walker Yeatman, State College alumnus