ACF Fall 2013 Northeast @ Harvard (11/02/13)

Old college threads.
gyre and gimble
Yuna

ACF Fall 2013 Northeast @ Harvard (11/02/13)

Post by gyre and gimble »

Harvard will be hosting ACF Fall for New England and the Northeast this year, on November 2nd. To register for the tournament, please email us at the Gmail address “harvardcollegebowl” using the subject heading “ACF Fall Registration”. Make sure to include how many buzzers and staffers you can bring.

This is a packet-submission event, so please check with the guidelines posted here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14595 to see what is required of your team in terms of question writing. If you do need to write a packet (someone on your team's played a collegiate tournament prior to September 1, 2012, regardless of whether he/she is in high school or college) you should be aware of the upcoming deadlines, discounts, and penalties:

Packet submitted before 11:59 PM eastern time on:
September 8, 2013: -$50
September 22, 2013: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 6, 2013: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 13, 2013: +$25
October 20, 2013: +$50
After Oct. 20, 2013: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

We'll have more information regarding location and time as the tournament approaches.

Here is our site's fee schedule:

$120 base fee per team
-$5 buzzer discount (per buzzer set, no maximum)
-$10 staffer discount (per staffer, no maximum)
-$10 per 200 miles traveled, one-way
-$20 international teams (teams representing schools located in a country other than that of the host)
-$25 “New to ACF” (your school did not send a team to an ACF event since September 2011)
-$100 “New to Quizbowl” (this includes the “New to ACF” discount, and applies if your school did not send a team to any regular collegiate event since September 2011)

Regarding high school teams: High school teams are welcome to play this tournament, though they should keep in mind that while this may be a lower difficulty tournament, it is nevertheless a collegiate event and significantly more difficult than many high school tournaments. There will be no further discounts for things like playing short-handed or being new to ACF or quizbowl, which applies only to new college teams. Furthermore, high school teams must write a packet if any of its members played a college tournament prior to the 2012-2013 competition season.
Last edited by gyre and gimble on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: ACF Fall 2013 Northeast @ Harvard (11/02/13)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Some number of Dartmouth teams will show up.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

You can now register for ACF Fall by filling out this form. Please do so as soon as you can.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
gyre and gimble
Yuna

The field has been posted. Keep the registrations coming!
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

The teams who have registered with ACF for this tournament may be found here. If you've already registered and need to change any of your info, please let me know at [email protected]. If you are Yale, please register using this form.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Shoot, I should have warned about this earlier, but we are currently at our field cap. Further registrations will be placed on the wait list.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

While I have no intentions of actually playing this tournament, I'm just going to comment that it's pretty ridiculous that to have a field capped at 11 teams for a tournament as popular as ACF Fall. Especially when said tournament is taking place in the densely populated Northeast region, and when the field is capped about a month before the tournament occurs (considering that a lot of teams come down to the wire submitting their packets for ACF tournaments). So yeah...not sure what is going on here.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Ondes Martenot wrote:While I have no intentions of actually playing this tournament, I'm just going to comment that it's pretty ridiculous that to have a field capped at 11 teams for a tournament as popular as ACF Fall. Especially when said tournament is taking place in the densely populated Northeast region, and when the field is capped about a month before the tournament occurs (considering that a lot of teams come down to the wire submitting their packets for ACF tournaments). So yeah...not sure what is going on here.
The field here lists 21 teams registered before the the field cap was hit, which seems more reasonable. However, I don't remember seeing this cap announced anywhere before it was reached. It could be that I just missed it, but it was still annoying to find out after the fact.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
gyre and gimble
Yuna

t-bar wrote:
Ondes Martenot wrote:While I have no intentions of actually playing this tournament, I'm just going to comment that it's pretty ridiculous that to have a field capped at 11 teams for a tournament as popular as ACF Fall. Especially when said tournament is taking place in the densely populated Northeast region, and when the field is capped about a month before the tournament occurs (considering that a lot of teams come down to the wire submitting their packets for ACF tournaments). So yeah...not sure what is going on here.
The field here lists 21 teams registered before the the field cap was hit, which seems more reasonable. However, I don't remember seeing this cap announced anywhere before it was reached. It could be that I just missed it, but it was still annoying to find out after the fact.
Damn, I'd totally forgotten I had the field listed in my original post. But yes, Stephen is right and the 22nd spot was saved for a house team so that our newer freshmen could play an easy tournament this semester. Sorry, I'd just assumed that the link to the Google doc would suffice as a running field and completely ignored the original post. And my apologies, of course, for not announcing the field cap but we only found out about it a few days before the tournament hit capacity. We're still working to get more rooms.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Alright, thanks for the clarification. If you are successful in getting additional rooms could you email me? NYU is interested in sending a couple of non-packet eligible teams to this.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Any updates on this?
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
gyre and gimble
Yuna

The rooms people are "talking about it" and will "get back to me soon." I'm not sure what the holdup is because they haven't indicated to me in any way that rooms aren't available, but as soon as I get a real answer I'll post it here, in addition to emailing the teams on the waitlist.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
gyre and gimble
Yuna

We've been able to expand the field to 28 spots, which means that the first 6 teams on the waitlist are now in the field. These teams are:

Stony Brook A
MIT A
MIT B
Amherst A
Northeastern A
Northeastern B
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
hanbarasu95
Lulu

Post by hanbarasu95 »

Stephen, I replied to your email a couple days ago about the tournament ... I was wondering if you received it?
Hari Anbarasu
------------------------
Sharon High School
Class of 2013
------------------------
Northeastern University
thebaker94
Lulu

Post by thebaker94 »

Perhaps it's in one of the above posts and I missed it, but I don't think you've mentioned which building the tournament will be in. Could you let us know?
Eric Baker
President, RPI Quiz Bowl
Portsmouth Christian Academy '11
RPI '15
gyre and gimble
Yuna

I just found out, but we'll be in Sever Hall. Please arrive between 8:00 and 8:45 so we can start at 9, and we'll meet in the first floor hallway.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Cubfan125
Lulu

Post by Cubfan125 »

Hey, I just wanted to make sure you got my email -- Unfortunately, Williams can no longer field a B-team. Sorry for any inconvenience this will cause.
Alex Kling
Latin School of Chicago class of 2012
Williams College class of 2016
hanbarasu95
Lulu

Post by hanbarasu95 »

On the same note as the previous poster, I replied to your latest email but unfortunately Northeastern also won't be able to field a B-team either and I apologize for any problems this'll cause.
Hari Anbarasu
------------------------
Sharon High School
Class of 2013
------------------------
Northeastern University
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Yale A beat Columbia A in the first game of an advantaged final to win the tournament, making them 1st place Overall, UG, and DII. Columbia A was 2nd place Overall and UG, while Williams was 2nd place DII. Thanks to all for playing and we hope you enjoyed the day.

Playoff stats are posted here.

Amherst, you guys left your buzzers with us.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Awww yeah, bracket names.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

gyre and gimble wrote:Yale A beat Columbia A in the first game of an advantaged final to win the tournament, making them 1st place Overall, UG, and DII. Columbia A was 2nd place Overall and UG, while Williams was 2nd place DII. Thanks to all for playing and we hope you enjoyed the day.

Playoff stats are posted here.

Amherst, you guys left your buzzers with us.
Yeah, we noticed about an hour into our drive back to Amherst, unfortunately. I'll probably send an email about mailing back the buzzers, once our team figures out the best way to reimburse you guys for postage.

Anyways, thanks for the fun tournament. All of the readers in our preliminary bracket were excellent. Like, really-- to be honest, I hadn't expected the readers to be this good at such a large tournament. I enjoyed it a lot.

One thing I noticed about the stats: the playoff stats also contain one round from the prelims, for some reason.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Corry wrote:Yeah, we noticed about an hour into our drive back to Amherst, unfortunately. I'll probably send an email about mailing back the buzzers, once our team figures out the best way to reimburse you guys for postage.

Anyways, thanks for the fun tournament. All of the readers in our preliminary bracket were excellent. Like, really-- to be honest, I hadn't expected the readers to be this good at such a large tournament. I enjoyed it a lot.

One thing I noticed about the stats: the playoff stats also contain one round from the prelims, for some reason.
Okay, no problem, just let us know. The round from the prelims is probably because at least for the top brackets, wins and losses carried over though maybe this doesn't make much sense for the lower brackets?

I also want to emphasize how great it was having a lot of more-than-competent staffers from other schools helping to run this event. There's no way we would have been able to finish a 14-round tournament by 6:30 without everyone's incredible efficiency, so I want to thank the staffers for all their efforts.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

gyre and gimble wrote: The round from the prelims is probably because at least for the top brackets, wins and losses carried over though maybe this doesn't make much sense for the lower brackets?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand that. The playoff stats include 7 games for the teams in the upper-bracket playoffs (except Yale A and Columbia A, of course), while the prelim stats include 6 games. That totals 13 games for teams in the upper-bracket playoffs. However, these teams only played 12 games total in reality, if I understood the schedule correctly (again, excepting Yale and Columbia).

Could we get combined stats for the tournament?
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'm going to echo the complements given to the readers and staff at this tournament - you guys did a great job.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
hanbarasu95
Lulu

Post by hanbarasu95 »

I'd like to also say that it was a very well run tournament and given that Northeastern is a new team and it was only our second tournament ever it was a lot of fun being able to play against the teams that we did, and I know I speak for my teammates as well when I say that.

Just a small inquiry though, could my name be fixed on the stat sheets?
Hari Anbarasu
------------------------
Sharon High School
Class of 2013
------------------------
Northeastern University
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Corry wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote: The round from the prelims is probably because at least for the top brackets, wins and losses carried over though maybe this doesn't make much sense for the lower brackets?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand that. The playoff stats include 7 games for the teams in the upper-bracket playoffs (except Yale A and Columbia A, of course), while the prelim stats include 6 games. That totals 13 games for teams in the upper-bracket playoffs. However, these teams only played 12 games total in reality, if I understood the schedule correctly (again, excepting Yale and Columbia).

Each team in the top bracket played everyone else in the bracket exactly once, for a total of 7 games. Six of those were played in the playoffs, and we carried the one from the prelims over. So for example, MIT A and Yale A played each other in the prelims and both made the top bracket, but they did not play each other again in the playoffs. But their game against each other in the prelims still counts for final standings. Basically, Yale A v MIT A appears in both the prelims and the playoffs stats.

David did the stats, actually, though I uploaded them. I don't know how to use SQBS at all, but David claims that combining stats doesn't work on the Mac version? Does anyone know what we're doing wrong?
hanbarasu95 wrote:I'd like to also say that it was a very well run tournament and given that Northeastern is a new team and it was only our second tournament ever it was a lot of fun being able to play against the teams that we did, and I know I speak for my teammates as well when I say that.

Just a small inquiry though, could my name be fixed on the stat sheets?
Yeah, there's a lot of other names misspelled too so we'll try to fix it all, but it might take a bit because David has the actual data/files/etc. but the tournament database entry is under my account and we can't do it until we get together, probably on Monday.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

gyre and gimble wrote:
Corry wrote:

Each team in the top bracket played everyone else in the bracket exactly once, for a total of 7 games. Six of those were played in the playoffs, and we carried the one from the prelims over. So for example, MIT A and Yale A played each other in the prelims and both made the top bracket, but they did not play each other again in the playoffs. But their game against each other in the prelims still counts for final standings. Basically, Yale A v MIT A appears in both the prelims and the playoffs stats.

David did the stats, actually, though I uploaded them. I don't know how to use SQBS at all, but David claims that combining stats doesn't work on the Mac version? Does anyone know what we're doing wrong?
Hey Stephen, if David wants to email me the prelim and playoff files after you guys make fixes on Monday, I'll make the combined files for you.

EDIT: This offer still stands, especially now that I'm on Thanksgiving Break and have the time to make sure this happens the same day I receive them.
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Which packets were read each round at this event?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF