Missouri Open at Duke (10/26/13)

Old college threads.
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Missouri Open at Duke (10/26/13)

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Hello everyone,

The quiz bowl teams at UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke are proud to announce a collaborative mirror of Missouri Open, to be hosted on Duke's campus in lovely Durham, North Carolina on October 26th. Ian Drayer of Duke will direct the tournament, although I will handle pre-tournament communication and each school will provide staffers and house teams.

Eligibility: As with other open tournaments, this tournament is open to high schoolers, college players, and other interested parties alike. We are particularly interested in having high school teams attend, as the difficulty of this set is well within the range of many strong high school teams. Also note that players do not have to all be attending the same school to play on a team together.

Registration: If you would like to register a team to participate, please email me (Ryan Rosenberg) at [email protected] with "Missouri Open" in the subject line. Similarly, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email or PM me.

We are not setting a field cap on this tournament. If, however, we receive an unexpectedly high number of registrations, we will assess our staffing situation to make sure we can accommodate all interested parties.

Payment:
Base fee: $80
Working buzzer system (up to 2): -$10
Moderator discount: $-10
Travel discount: -$10 for traveling over 200 miles

We hope to see you there!

Field:
UNC House (2-3)
Duke House (1)
Dorman (1)
Wake Forest (1)
"Doubly-Eponymous Reaction" (1)
Last edited by ryanrosenberg on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Missouri Open at Duke (10/26/13)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Is a Missouri Open mirror, instead of something like Penn Bowl, really what the circuit needs in late October?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

I do not think that a Penn Bowl mirror would be viable at Duke. It's quite close to PA.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

fett0001 wrote:I do not think that a Penn Bowl mirror would be viable at Duke. It's quite close to PA.
Not really?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I question the wisdom of mirroring a summer open that was played in many circuits months ago.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

We had asked about a Penn Bowl mirror and were told that Penn was looking for a site closer to other teams in the Southeast. Duke is about 6 hours from Atlanta, and 8 from Nashville, so it's not the most convenient location for teams (especially since college teams in Virginia are likely to attend the main site).
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Cheynem wrote:I question the wisdom of mirroring a summer open that was played in many circuits months ago.
There's only one person in the North Carolina circuit who has already played the set and isn't staffing.

I suppose I should clarify something: this is aimed at novices in college and strong high school teams. Without a readily available regular difficulty college tournament to mirror, we wanted to run a tournament that would allow newer players in both clubs to get competitive experience while not having to spend tons of money going to Philadelphia or Alabama.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I know that VCU would definitely go to a tournament at Duke if several of our players hadn't already either played this set at VT or been at practices where those who did play it discussed it, since no warning was given that the set would just be running forever and ever in the same regions that already ran it three months ago. I don't know if there is necessarily a better college tournament to run on this weekend but the ideas of long-delayed mirrors and opens during the school year have fallen out of favor for a reason.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
thomasgnd
Lulu

Post by thomasgnd »

Could we get an update on logistical details, such as where to be on the Duke campus Saturday morning and at what time? Thanks.
Geoffrey ND Thomas
--
Head Quizbowl Coach, Heathwood Hall
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected]
--
Qwiz Camps Partner
qwizbowl.com
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

This should be sent out with a map attachment soon...

The tournament will be taking place in the Carr Building on Duke University's East Campus. Check in will be from 9:00-9:30 in Carr 103, with a small breakfast provided. There will be a short meeting from 9:30-9:45 during which time we will go over the bracket etc. Play will begin at 9:45 and will continue until around 12:30 when we will break for lunch. Many lunch options are available on 9th street, two blocks west of the campus, and a quick 10 minute walk from the Carr Building.
Please note that main street has been closed for the past few months, and I would not anticipate it being opened by Saturday. For parking, I would recommend parking on Broad Street north of Perry Street. To get there, take the Swift Avenue exit off of NC147 and head north over the train tracks and past the whole foods market. If heading on I-85, take the Guess Road exit and head south/east to Broad and head south on Broad past the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics. Parking is only allowed on the east side of the street, but in the past I have never had trouble parking there. Free parking is also available on Iredell street, one street west, and I believe parking is also free on 9th street/in the lots on 9th street on the weekends, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Thank you for attending this collaboration between UNC and Duke. We look forward to hosting you on Saturday.
Sincerely,
Ryan Rosenberg and Ian Drayer
Co-Tournament Directors
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Golran wrote:This should be sent out with a map attachment soon...

The tournament will be taking place in the Carr Building on Duke University's East Campus. Check in will be from 9:00-9:30 in Carr 103, with a small breakfast provided. There will be a short meeting from 9:30-9:45 during which time we will go over the bracket etc. Play will begin at 9:45 and will continue until around 12:30 when we will break for lunch. Many lunch options are available on 9th street, two blocks west of the campus, and a quick 10 minute walk from the Carr Building.
Please note that main street has been closed for the past few months, and I would not anticipate it being opened by Saturday. For parking, I would recommend parking on Broad Street north of Perry Street. To get there, take the Swift Avenue exit off of NC147 and head north over the train tracks and past the whole foods market. If heading on I-85, take the Guess Road exit and head south/east to Broad and head south on Broad past the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics. Parking is only allowed on the east side of the street, but in the past I have never had trouble parking there. Free parking is also available on Iredell street, one street west, and I believe parking is also free on 9th street/in the lots on 9th street on the weekends, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Thank you for attending this collaboration between UNC and Duke. We look forward to hosting you on Saturday.
Sincerely,
Ryan Rosenberg and Ian Drayer
Co-Tournament Directors
Sent. Depending on our final field, UNC will field either two or three house teams to bring the field to an even number. If we have 6 teams, we'll run a double round-robin+finals, and if we have 8, we'll do a full RR then rebracket into upper and lower brackets of 4 for playoffs+finals.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
thomasgnd
Lulu

Post by thomasgnd »

Are you planning to post stats?
Geoffrey ND Thomas
--
Head Quizbowl Coach, Heathwood Hall
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected]
--
Qwiz Camps Partner
qwizbowl.com
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Yes, stats will be up once I get them from Ian (probably tonight).
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Stats are now posted at: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

I'd like to thank everyone who came out to this, in particular Dorman for a very hard-fought sequence of three games to close out the tournament. We hope to see you at future events hosted by our club(s)!
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF