Delta Burke Mirror at UWaterloo (Sunday, Nov. 10th)

Old college threads.
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Delta Burke Mirror at UWaterloo (Sunday, Nov. 10th)

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

cout<<”Hello world”;

The University of Waterloo is pleased to announce a mirror of Delta Burke on SUNDAY, November 10th, 2013. This is the Sunday following ACF Fall (which is being held on November 9th in McMaster University).

The global announcement can be found at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14919. This is an easy-level tournament of Fall-minus difficulty. Packets from previous years can be found at : http://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/549/

The tournament will be open, so absolutely anyone with any fondness for QuizBowl can play on a team comprising of absolutely anyone-else.

Fees
Base fee: $120
Buzzer discount: -$5 per functional system
Staffer discount: -$15 per functional moderator
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles one-way (from Google Maps)
Underhanded discount : -$15 for “missing players” on an underhanded team

Registration
If you plan on attending this tournament, please e-mail me at arajasek94 (at) gmail (dot) com. Alternatively, you may post in this thread or confirm with me on Facebook, if you are so unfortunate that Facebook recognizes me as a “friend” of yours.

Field
The field is currently uncapped. I plan on getting as many rooms as possible, so as to accommodate as many teams (including house-teams).

Field so far :

1) Jordan Palmer Needs To Overcompensate
2) The Ottawa Team Left Behind After Jordan Palmer's Desertion
3) Western A
4) Western B
5) Melinda And Some Unworthies
6) Nick Penner's Oppressive Patriarchy

Logistics
The tournament will (almost certainly) be held in the Math and Computer science (MC) building. As it is being held on a Sunday, we shall attempt to secure an earlier end-time so that any teams from Ottawa / Quebec can get back at a reasonable hour. To achieve that, it is conceivable that the tournament might begin as early as 9am(sharp). This means we might require teams to arrive in Waterloo as early as #8AMSHARP. Please keep this in mind when forming plans.

Accommodation
As a tournament is being held in McMaster the previous day, it is conceivable that teams travelling from greater distances might require some accommodation for the night of Saturday, November 9th. To that extent, we are happy to help facilitate any such requirements. Players in need of a place to sleep the night of November 9 may feel free to inform me.

I hope to be able to provide for as many as 10 tired QuizBowlers in my own residence along with those of the other members of our club. Additionally, for anyone too frightened to spend a night in the same room as Cam MacInnis, we'd be happy to recommend a list of inexpensive boarding houses and lodges.

All other inquires are invited to be directed to the email posted above.

Hoping for a successful tournament :)
Last edited by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
minusfive
Rikku

Re: Delta Burke Mirror at UWaterloo (Sunday, Nov. 10th)

Post by minusfive »

I'm coming to this. Do the uWaterloo Canada Geese still attack all pedestrians? 'Cause these colours don't run (anymore).
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Rikku

minusfive wrote:I'm coming to this. Do the uWaterloo Canada Geese still attack all pedestrians? 'Cause these colours don't run (anymore).
The geese are as vicious as ever. I expect more teams from Ottawa.
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Looking for teammates for this (with the desire not to end up playing on any sort of superteam)
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Rikku

adosreme wrote:Looking for teammates for this (with the desire not to end up playing on any sort of superteam)
Jordan Palmer, take note.
the third garrideb
Wakka

Post by the third garrideb »

I'll be playing this.
Huma Zafar
University of Waterloo alumna
Rikku

the third garrideb wrote:I'll be playing this.
AT LAST, someone I like :lol:
Rikku

A reminder to people to formally sign up as teams for this, just so I know how many people to expect and such...
cruzeiro
Rikku

Post by cruzeiro »

odin_envy_me wrote:A reminder to people to formally sign up as teams for this, just so I know how many people to expect and such...
Jordan Palmer-less Ottawa says hello.
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
Rikku

cruzeiro wrote:
odin_envy_me wrote:A reminder to people to formally sign up as teams for this, just so I know how many people to expect and such...
Jordan Palmer-less Ottawa says hello.
The only good Ottawa, tbh. Except for Shelby, she's the worst. No one likes her.
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

odin_envy_me wrote: The only good Ottawa, tbh. Except for Shelby, she's the worst. No one likes her.
During lunch, there will be an exhibition match of people that Aayush hates vs. Aayush and Dennis Beeby.

Edit: This is not actually happening.
Last edited by adosreme on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

adosreme wrote:
During lunch, there will be an exhibition match of people that Aayush hates vs. Aayush and Dennis Beeby.
Unfortunately, McGill will not be coming. I was looking forward to playing in that game, though.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

pandabear555 wrote:
adosreme wrote:
Unfortunately, McGill will not be coming. I was looking forward to playing in that game, though.
But on which side?
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Rikku

Pretty sure I'm being cyber-bullied right now. Someone help me.

Also, Joe, you're free to come down sans McGill and play on a random team...
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

There will, however, be an epic confrontation between good (uOttawa) and evil (uWaterloo) for the (namesake-sanctioned) 1st annual HB trophy (don't ask what it stands for).

minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

odin_envy_me wrote: Underhanded discount : -$15 for “missing players” on an underhanded team
I think you mean "shorthanded," although I'm quite happy to get a discount for being underhanded and waging a Dirty War on my teammates, but...(is there a sneakiness discount?)

TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

Sorry for the delay, but Carleton will be sending a team to this.
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

By the way, + people is currently Melinda and Huma. We are still looking for a fourth player.
Aaron Dos Remedios
the third garrideb
Wakka

minusfive wrote:There will, however, be an epic confrontation between good (uOttawa) and evil (uWaterloo) for the (namesake-sanctioned) 1st annual HB trophy (don't ask what it stands for).
I cannot promise, but I will try hard to have the prizes live up to the high standard established by Aayush's naming choice.
Huma Zafar
Rikku

the third garrideb wrote:
minusfive wrote:There will, however, be an epic confrontation between good (uOttawa) and evil (uWaterloo) for the (namesake-sanctioned) 1st annual HB trophy (don't ask what it stands for).
I cannot promise, but I will try hard to have the prizes live up to the high standard established by Aayush's naming choice.
Meh, it's not /that/ high. Don't flatter yourself, hun.
the third garrideb
Wakka

odin_envy_me wrote:
the third garrideb wrote:
Meh, it's not /that/ high. Don't flatter yourself, hun.
It was sarcasm.
Huma Zafar
Rikku

Due to Shelby "Sassypants" Robert's insistent whining, I have condescended to inform you attendees of a start time.

Please aim to be in MC 4058 by 8:30am. We are aiming for a 9am start time in order to run everything smoothly and get our Ottawa people home at a non-ridiculous time.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I shall dutifully ignore them. Just kidding, of course. Unless you're named Jay Misuk, in which case I wasn't kidding.
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

Was this tournament the 49ers offense? Because it was running smoooooth! Thanks to Waterloo for hosting such a great tournament. No thanks to Aayush for his persistent trash talk and sass.
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
cruzeiro
Rikku

Post by cruzeiro »

This happened. After a round robin, Ottawa went 8-1, with Jordan and Jay at 7-2 as well as Waterloo-Aayush. Waterloo then defeated the Hero Twins in a tiebreaker. Ottawa defeated Waterloo in the first game of an advantaged final to win the tournament.

Thank you to everyone at Waterloo for hosting and running this smoothly!
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

cruzeiro wrote:Waterloo then defeated the Hero Twins in a tiebreaker.
This is why we love you, Dennis.

Thank you very much to everyone involved. In particular, both this tournament and ACF Fall (at MacMaster) ended *before* 5pm, which made it possible for people to get back home at a reasonable hour, which was pretty awesome.

edited because I hit submit too early.
Aaron Dos Remedios
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

cruzeiro wrote:This happened.
I thought this was why we loved Dennis. Ah well, we all love Dennis.
cruzeiro wrote: Thank you to everyone at Waterloo for hosting and running this smoothly!
I concur. Thanks everyone-very enjoyable! :-)

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Awesome tournament yesterday, thanks Waterloo! And I concur with the ever-perceptive Nick. Aayush can be a pain, but I guess we need to put up with him in order to make our tournaments "inclusive", and "diverse", as they say.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Rikku

Yay! Thank you to everyone who came out and helped, particularly to my staffers - Xtine Irwin, Akosua Asante, Kira Vimalihito and the rotating Mac reader. Daniel Resnick performed stats-duties very capably, and thanks to Huma and Cam for helping him there. And a separate mention entirely for the Witch of Canadian QuizBowl coming out of retirement to help out and be fabulous. #JunlanLiForPresident

Thanks to all teams that came out (not "CAME OUT", just a casual "came out") to play, particularly to the two Western teams whom we'd love to see more of. And I suppose I should be grateful to those teams that drove long distances to get here, but Jordan, Dennis, Shelby and Nick are all horrible people I'd have rather not seen, so really only thanks to Ian and Chris from Ottawa and Charles and Alasdair from Carleton. And it's always nice to see some ex-Waterloo faces, especially Huma Zafar, who simply runs some of the finest adult entertainment in her apartments in the city of Toronto. You go, Huma Zafar!

The greatest thanks go to the three people that really made the tournament happen - Jordan Slaymer, Slay Misuk and Slayron Dos Remedios. Thank you for the pick-ups. YOU LIFT MY FEET OFF THE GROUND AND SPIN ME AROUND, YOU MAKE ME CRAZIER, CRAZIER! #SlaylorSwift #Slayzier

I guess there are other places to discuss this, but I just thought I'd say that I enormously enjoyed playing yesterday. I think Delta Burke is just a ridiculously fun tournament to play, and given that [answer] and [other answer] have been tossed up in consecutive years, I think anyone would be hard pressed to argue against the claim that it's the greatest tournament of all time. Goddamit, Aaron, I'm just gonna say it...This tournament is flawless.

In all seriousness, Delta Burke is a bit like playing sports video games...I know I can never serve a 160 mph serve in real life, but it sure as hell is fun to pretend to do so. And I definitely know I can't take on a Jordan-Jay team twice in a row at anything harder than Fall, but it sure as hell is fun to pretend to do so by one-lining [answer] (Relax, Jordan, it's another name for [alternate answer]). So thank you to the writers for an extremely fun tournament that I thought served its purpose very well.

Oh, and finally we're working on getting stats up. Give me until the end of the day to figure it out, please :)
Senator_Jay wrote:Awesome tournament yesterday, thanks Waterloo! And I concur with the ever-perceptive Nick. Slayush can be a pain, but I guess we need to put up with him in order to make our tournaments "inclusive", and "diverse", as they say.
The most important thing we must remember when dealing with Aayush is that we must not hurl him into walls, no matter how tempted we may be to do so.

Question content redacted -Mgmt.
Rikku

Stats are up! Let me know of any corrections that might need to be made.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

And I apologize for posting answerlines in that previous post. My bad! That's grammatically incorrect. One cannot possess an adjective. My FAULT.