Mountain Lakes Invitational - Mountain Lakes, NJ - 1/4/14

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Mountain Lakes Invitational - Mountain Lakes, NJ - 1/4/14

Post by Northern Central Railway »

Mountain Lakes High School will be hosting the first annual Mountain Lakes Invitational on January 4, 2014. This tournament will use NAQT set 131A. Each round will be 20 tossups and bonuses, untimed. We will not be using math computation tossups or bonuses. This question set was used at Yale’s high school tournament in October – if you try to register for this tournament but were at Yale, I will not let you into the field unless you can demonstrate you will have players who were not at Yale.

In-person registration will take place from 7:45am to 8:30am, with Round 1 starting at 9 a.m. Each team will be guaranteed at least 8 games and I anticipate the tournament finishing by around 5 p.m.

Mountain Lakes High School is located at 96 Powerville Road in Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046. Mountain Lakes is easily accessible from interstates 80 and 287, located next to Parsippany.

The top 15% of the field will qualify for the 2014 NAQT High School National Championship Tournament being held May 31-June 1, 204 in Chicago. In addition, this tournament is Gold certified by PACE, meaning that the top 20% of the field will qualify for the 2014 PACE National Scholastics Championship to be held Memorial Day weekend in Reston, VA.

Registration

Due to the recent trend of tournaments in the NJ area filling up extremely quickly with teams ending up on the waiting list because they don’t read the message board super frequently, registration for this tournament will not open until WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 30 AT 5 PM EST. To register for this tournament, please fill out the form at http://bit.ly/MLInvitational . The registration link will not be active before October 30 at 5 p.m. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail from me within 24 hours of registering, please let me know. Filling out the form is the only type of registration I will accept – e-mails or posts in this thread telling me how many teams you’re bringing will not be considered as valid registrations.

The current field cap is 36 teams. There may be a field extension if (and only if) sufficient staff and buzzers can be lined up. At this point there is a limit of 3 teams per school in. Edit: As of 11/21 the field cap is now 42. Any additional teams from a school will be placed on a waitlist. If there is still room in the field a month before the tournament (i.e. on December 4th), then the additional teams past 3 will be let into the field. There is a limit of 6 players per team, 4 of which can play at once. If you bring more than 6 players, you must register a second team in order for all of them to play.

Payment

First team: $75
Each additional team: $60
Moderator discount: $15 per moderator
Buzzer discount: $10 per buzzer system with at least 8 working buzzers
Scorekeeper discount: $5 per scorekeeper
Minimum fee per team: $30

Teams who do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total before we contact your school administration about it. This tournament can accept payment by cash or check. If paying by check, the check must be made out to “Mountain Lakes High School, c/o Academic Team”. If you require a pre-tournament invoice in order to have a check cut, you must let us know by let us know by December 23, so that we can send you the invoice in time. If you do not let us know about this requirement by December 23rd, and it causes you to come to the tournament without your payment, then you will be subject to the $25 late payment penalty.

Since this tournament is occurring when many colleges/universities are still on Winter break, if you have any alums from your team that want to come and read and that you can vouch for as being competent moderators capable of finishing an A-set packet within 30 minutes or less, I’ll pay them $15 for their help. Your team will still get the $15 moderator discount, too. Limit two per school.

Food

We will provide a breakfast of bagels and juice. As there are not many eateries within reasonable driving distance to fit into the hour-long lunch break, we will be doing a large pizza order the day of the tournament. Each large cheese pizza will cost $10. We will have soda/water available for purchase at the tournament. If you want to bring your own refreshments, that’s fine.

If you have any questions about this tournament, post in the thread or send me a private message or e-mail to [email protected]. Hope to see you in January.

Andrew Ibendahl
Tournament Director, Mountain Lakes Invitational
Last edited by Northern Central Railway on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Re: Mountain Lakes Invitational - Mountain Lakes, NJ - 1/4/14

Hello everyone,

Registration is now open at the form linked to in the initial post.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Re: Mountain Lakes Invitational - Mountain Lakes, NJ - 1/4/1

Field update (teams / buzzers / mods):

Seton Hall Prep (2/5/3)
MAST (1/0/1)
Livingston (4/2/0)
Ridgewood (1/2/1)
Bergen Academies (2/1/1)
Hopatcong (1/0/0)
Scarsdale (1/0/0)
"Gotham" (1/1/0)
Millburn (2/2/0)
Middlesex County Academy (2/0/0)
Horace Greeley (1/1/1)
High Point Regional (3/1/1)
Doane Academy (1/0/1)
"Deep Green" (3/1/0)
Newark Academy (1/0/0)
Delbarton (1/1/0)
Morristown-Beard (2/1/1)
Sparta (2/0/0)
Central Bucks East (2/2/0)
Lenape Valley Regional (1/0/1)
Hunterdon Central Regional (2/0/1)
E.O. Smith (1/2/1)
Kings Park (1/2/1)

Total: 38 teams, 23 buzzers, 14 mods
Last edited by Northern Central Railway on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 43 times in total.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Registration has been open for less than 48 hours and the field is more than half full with multiple other teams indicating their interest to me, so please do not delay registering. It also appears that the snail mail invitations have started arriving to their destinations, so I cannot guarantee that there will still be openings in the tournament very long.

Also, shout out to Hopatcong for registering for their first pyramidal tournament ever!
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
urbanpf
Lulu

Post by urbanpf »

Millburn will bring two teams and two buzzers
Peter Urban
Coach In Retirement
Millburn High School
Millburn, NJ 07041
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

There are currently 30 teams registered for this tournament - if you are one of the teams who has indicated interest to me or otherwise plans on attending this tournament, I would suggest registering sooner rather than later.

Although field expansion is a possibility, it is by no means definite.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

Andrew:

I have to check my schedule to be sure, but I may be able to come down that day and help you guys out with moderating the tournament. Contact me at scottblish at gmail.com if it turns out that you need the help, and I'll see what I can do.

--Scott
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

The field for this tournament has been expanded to 42 teams, but with 5 teams having registered in just the last three days, it's hard to say how long spots will be available.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

With the field currently at 41, the absolutely final field cap for this tournament is 48 teams. I do not have the staff available to comfortably go beyond this number (and 48 is a nice, round number for a field size anyway), so if you want in the tournament but have not yet registered, there are limited spaces available. Also, since it is now a month before the tournament and there was an opening in the field, LIvingston's D team is now in the field.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

The field for the Mountain Lakes Invitational is now full, including teams from 8 different NJ counties (which might be a record?) as well as 9 teams from PA and NY. If the field stands, nobody will be able to leave this tournament saying they didn't play anyone they haven't played before.

I will certainly still be taking teams for the waitlist, as multiple coaches have informed me that there is some degree of uncertainty regarding the number of teams that they will actually be bringing to the tournament.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Hello--
Late inquiry but would you like a team from CT? I am mainly wondering how long the wait list is and if we'd have a chance of making the field. Thanks.
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

rpirrie wrote:Hello--
Late inquiry but would you like a team from CT? I am mainly wondering how long the wait list is and if we'd have a chance of making the field. Thanks.
Having a team from CT would be great, the more diverse the competition the better. Right now there are no teams on the waitlist, which I've now edited the post listing the field to reflect. Given the size of the tournament I would guess that a few teams will probably drop before the day of the tournament, so if you get on the waitlist now you'll probably end up in the field. Go ahead and fill out the form and I'll put you on the waitlist.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

With two teams having dropped in the past week, both of E.O. Smith's teams are now in the field. There are also now only three teams on the waitlist, so there's still a half decent chance of getting into the field if anyone who is not currently registered still wants to come to the tournament.

On another note, I'm happy to see that other tournaments in the NY/NJ area have started to adopt the "use a google form for registration which will open at a pre-determined date in the future" mode of registration.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

Andrew:

If you need another experienced moderator for the ML Invitational, please let me know (e-mail at scottblish at gmail.com) by this Thursday evening, as I should be able to make it down this weekend if you need the help. I'll have to know by then, though, so that I can make sure that the day is free.

--Scott
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Ithaca Cricket Ump wrote:Andrew:

If you need another experienced moderator for the ML Invitational, please let me know (e-mail at scottblish at gmail.com) by this Thursday evening, as I should be able to make it down this weekend if you need the help. I'll have to know by then, though, so that I can make sure that the day is free.

--Scott
Thanks for the interest, but I think we will be fine on moderators.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Hello everyone,

As I'm sure most people in the NYC metro are aware, there's some pretty bad weather forecasted for Thursday night into Friday. I will be discussing options with the superintendent tomorrow morning, particularly as to if the tournament can still happen in the event that Mountain Lakes cancels school on Friday. The absolute latest I'll be making a determination about the status of the tournament is 5 am Saturday, but I hope to have a decision made yet Friday. If the tournament ends up having to be cancelled, I will be posting a notification in this message thread, e-mailing coaches, and using the contact phone number that was submitted during registration. If the phone number you submitted during registration isn't correct, please send me a revised number so that I can contact the right person. Also, if the tournament still happens but the weather prohibits your team(s) from attending, please let me know.

If you have any further questions, let me know.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Another tournament update:

I have talked to the Mountain Lakes superintendent (who incidentally was also the coach of the team for the 2011-12 school year), and as of right now the tournament is still on. District policy states that even if school is cancelled on Friday, events hosted by the district for the ensuing weekend can still happen, so whether or not Mountain Lakes has school tomorrow won't have a direct impact on the tournament itself.

The final, drop-dead decision about the status of the tournament has been bumped up to around 1 pm tomorrow.

On another note, High Tech has dropped its 3 teams, and there were only 2 on the waitlist, so there's now an opening if anyone wants it. Otherwise I'll scrounge together a house team of Mountain Lakes players who didn't go to the Yale tournament where these questions were played, or extra players from other teams who would be willing to make a Team USA.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

I just sent out a mass e-mail to all coaches, but this tournament is still on for tomorrow.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Scarsdale beat MAST 345-290 in the championship of the first ever Mountain Lakes Invitational. Other qualifiers for HSNCT include the 3rd through 6th place finishers, which in order are 'Deep Green' A, Horace Greeley, Livingston B, and Livingston A. Ridgewood (or rather, half of their A team) and 'Gotham' finished 7th and 8th, respectively, to qualify for the PACE NSC. The rest of the top bracket teams were, in order of final finish, Millburn A, E.O.Smith, Millburn B, and Bergen A who had to leave early.

For it being the first high school tournament Mountain Lakes ever ran and dealing with the fact that a quarter of the field dropped in 3 days because of the weather and that I never had the opportunity to train most of the scorekeepers and any of the stats crew due to Mountain Lakes being affected by the recent snowstorm, I thought the tournament ran pretty well. That being said, I've already started making a list of the things that can be improved for next time, including the mess that was registration and the opening meeting. Stats will be up within a week, probably sooner.

I'd certainly appreciate any feedback from coaches/players, with today having gone the way it did I certainly anticipate Mountain Lakes hosting again in the future.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
urbanpf
Lulu

Post by urbanpf »

Great job, Andrew - you & your crew did a great job of keeping things moving along well despite
the obstacles you faced. Look forward to coming back next year!

Peter Urban
Millburn HS
Peter Urban
Coach In Retirement
Millburn High School
Millburn, NJ 07041
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

This was a quite well-run tournament, especially for a first-timer. You made up the delay by the end of the day so that it seemed like you would finish around 5:00, which is not bad for 11 rounds. The only big things I'd recommend are sending someone physically over to the meeting places for announcements (it was hard to hear the intercom over the cafeteria noise); and making sure you have a committee of more than just the TD who are familiar with rules for protest resolution*.

I was a decent bit disappointed in the set from NAQT. Obviously it's live and I can't make extensive remarks, but for a set that's been in circulation for a few months to have outright factual errors, lots of grammatical and pronoun stumbles, and what seemed like a pretty bad hose/ambiguity on a game-deciding question* is not what I expect of the leading provider of quiz bowl in the area.

*-I do want to emphasize that in the long run, the situation being alluded to here was handled properly by Andrew, and I have no problem with the resolution. However his hands were tied by a bad question.

The competition was amazingly tight. Our semifinal bracket of 6 teams had all between 21 and 23 PPB as far as I remember looking at the stat sheet, and I think all within 100 PPG of each other in the playoff round-robin. Congrats to Scarsdale on their victory.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Thanks for the feedback!
jonpin wrote:outright factual error
This has been fixed for future use.
jonpin wrote:what seemed like a pretty bad hose/ambiguity on a game-deciding question
Our editors will take a look at this and revise as needed.
jonpin wrote:grammatical and pronoun stumbles
Please let us know if you remember the details!
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

You folks did a GREAT JOB for your first ever. You faced a lot of obstacles and dealt with them very well. We had a great time, and I wish you success in future tournaments. Thanks again!
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

All three "Deep Green" teams enjoyed this tournament, as it was exceptionally well run given the circumstances. 11 games and the tournament was done rather early. We hope to be back next year (though officially)!
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Stats are now posted and have been sent to NAQT, let me know of any changes that need to be made, a few scorekeepers weren't so good about noting substitutions.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08