The Saint Joseph Mirror of GSAC XXI:POSTPONED DUE TO ELECTRA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Edward Powers
Auron

The Saint Joseph Mirror of GSAC XXI:POSTPONED DUE TO ELECTRA

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joseph High School is pleased to announce its 4th Annual GARDEN STATE ACADEMIC COMPETITION, a Mirror of GSAC XXI.

The Set: The Question Set is authored by our distinguished friends from the Maggie Walker Governor's School in Richmond, Virginia.

Set Distribution: 4/4 Lit; 4/4 Science; 4/4 History; 3/3 RMP; 3/3 Fine Arts; 1/1 Social Science; .5/.5 Geography; .5/.5 Trash

Fee Structure: $70.00 for the first team; $60.00 for each additional team.

Discounts: $10.00 for each working buzzer system; $15.00 for each moderator; $20.00 for travel of more than 120 miles. Minimum payment per team: $40.00

Registration: We are targeting a registration of 24-36 teams, with a limit of 4 teams per school, ideally hoping for four to six brackets of 6.We will have round-robin preliminaries, then re-bracket and have another round-robin for all teams in the afternoon. We hope to have a minimum of 9-10 matches per team. You can register right here or you can email me at [email protected] Just place "GSAC" in the subject line. On the day of the tournament we will run registration from 7:45 AM-8:45 AM and start Round 1 by 9AM. During registration we will have a light breakfast of bagels & juice while we finalize preliminary brackets. Also, we have ample parking in the back of our school if parking is a concern, and you can park behind our Main Building and enter the cafeteria in the back, which you cannot miss. Also, if you need an invoice for your school's financial officer, email me and I will send one via return email.

Payment: This is expected in cash or by check the morning of registration, but if you wish to mail it sooner make your check payable to Saint Joseph High School and mail it to : Ed Powers, c/o Saint Joseph High School, 145 Plainfield Avenue, Metuchen, NJ. You can also place this address in your GPS or your Mapquest/Google program and find us easily. We look forward to seeing you on the 14th of December!

Current Field---School Name and the number of Teams/Buzzers/Moderators:

Kellenberg 2 Teams/3 Buzzers/ 0 Moderators
Hunter 4 Teams/ 1 Buzzer /0 Moderators
Manheim Township 2 teams/ 0 Buzzers/0 Moderators
Wilmington Charter 4 Teams/ 2 Buzzers/ 1 Moderator
Mountain Lakes 4 Teams/ 3 Buzzers/ 1 Moderator

High Tech 2 Teams/2 Buzzers/ 0 Moderators
Bergen Academies 2 Teams/0 Buzzers/1 Moderator?
East Brunswick 2 Teams/ 0 Buzzers/ 0 Moderators

Livingston 3 Teams/2 Buzzers/ 0 Moderators
Ridgewood 2 Teams/ 2 Buzzers/ 0 Moderators
Millburn 3 Teams/ 2 Buzzers/ 0 Moderators[/b]
North Babylon 1 Team/ 2 Buzzers/ 0 Moderators
Irvington 1 Team/ 2 Buzzers/ 0 Moderators

Total Registrations as of December 8th 32/22/4-6
Last edited by Edward Powers on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:54 am, edited 57 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
BroNi
Rikku

Re: Saint Joe's Mirror of GSAC XXI, December 14, 2013

Post by BroNi »

2 teams, 3 buzzers. Thanks.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Re: The Saint Joseph Mirror of GSAC XXI, December 14, 2013

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

Put us down for 4 teams, two buzzers, and a moderator, for now.

Thanks
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

Mountain Lakes would like to register 4 teams and bring 3 buzzers and 1 moderator to this.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Insolvency law of Canada
Lulu

Post by Insolvency law of Canada »

High Tech would like to register 2 teams and 2 buzzers, with the possibility of expanding to three teams.
Patrick LeBlanc
High Technology High School '10-'14
Captain '13-'14
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Sign me up for two teams before the field fills!
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Livingston will be there in some form. Put us down for 3 teams for now and a couple of buzzer sets.
Guy Rabner
Spanish and Italian teacher
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
urbanpf
Lulu

Post by urbanpf »

Millburn will bring three teams, & two buzzers
Peter Urban
Coach In Retirement
Millburn High School
Millburn, NJ 07041
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Since I have a hard cap of 36 teams, and since we might already have 36 teams registered, I will start a wait-list for all schools that are still interested.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

I have to believe that posting the tournament and essentially closing registration within 24 hours must be some sort of record. 36 teams- well done! Glad I logged in yesterday!
Guy Rabner
Spanish and Italian teacher
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
MServetasF1
Lulu

Post by MServetasF1 »

If there is a spot open, North Babylon would like to bring 1 team and 2 buzzer sets.
Max Servetas
North Babylon 2014
KnicksRule
Wakka

Post by KnicksRule »

AMSA would like to bring 1 Team and 1 Buzzer Set
Abhinav Kurada
AMSA Charter School '12-'16
Captain '13-'16
2x winner of United States Geography Olympiad (2013, 2014); USGO International Team Member (2015)
SSNCT Runner-Up (2014); T-21 HSNCT (2015)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

With the drop of 1 team, AMSA is now in the field.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Since 2 teams have recently dropped, there are now 2 spots open in the field for any teams that are interested.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

We have recently received Platinum status from PACE, which means that the top 25% in our tournament qualify for PACE Nationals and can register immediately as a result of their qualification.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

With the addition of 1 more Hunter team, there is now only one opening left. We would love to have a new school participate. Anyone interested in joining the fun?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jasonziess
Kimahri

Post by jasonziess »

Irvington would like to bring one team. We will bring two buzzer systems.
Jason Ziess
Irvington High School (NY) Class of 2015
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

With the addition of Irvington, the field is now at its 36 team limit, but I will maintain a waiting-list if other teams are interested.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

With the drop of 1 team, there is now an opening for 1 team. Anyone interested?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Tentatively, put Kellenberg down for that last spot.

Edit: Sorry, scratch that. Not going to happen.
Last edited by BroNi on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Brother,

Consider it done.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

With the withdrawal of one team, we once again have an opening in the field. Hopefully another team will join us to play Maggie Walker's GSAC Set, a set which has been consistently recognized as one of the best in the country on an annual basis. If anyone is interested, please post here.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Two more teams have dropped from the field, leaving us at the awkward number of 33 teams, but the good news is that there is now room for 3 more teams. Surely there must be other teams interested in playing the GSAC set? Sign up here if you are.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

With the drop of 2 teams and the addition of 1, the field is now capped at 32. Teams still interested will be placed on a waiting list.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Jcarlson
Lulu

Post by Jcarlson »

Charter School of Wilmington will not be able to bring a moderator on Saturday.

We apologize for any inconvenience.
Jaimie Carlson
Charter School of Wilmington '14
Quizbowl Team Captain
HSNCT '12, '13

"There is a thin line between weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." -Night Vale Radio

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." -Douglas Adams
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

Ridgewood can bring a moderator if you still need one.
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Moderators are always appreciated. Thank you.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: The Saint Joseph Mirror of GSAC XXI:POSTPONED DUE TO ELECTRA

Post by Edward Powers »

Unfortunately the grim weather reports for tomorrow through Sunday have compelled me to postpone tomorrow's Garden State Academic Competition until March 29, 2014, a date I just claimed on the NY/NJ Schedule for 2013-14 and one approved by my Principal for that day. I am so sorry to have to do this, but the reports look dangerous and I have been checking for the past 18 hours on and off---it appears that snow will begin on Saturday at 6 AM and not stop until Sunday about 9 AM, with accumulations up to 3-5 inches by about 4PM on Saturday and possibly from 5-8 by Sunday. I know I will regret this at 6 PM tomorrow if these forecasts are wrong, but it is better to err on the side of caution and trust the forecasts, since teams are coming from 3 different states and some have up to 3 hour trips even in good traveling conditions.

I will create an entirely new forum post for the March 29th Tournament, and teams can re-register for it anew, for I know the March calendar is now very busy. Of course, if anyone has another suggestion---several years ago snow forced a similar postponement---and we held the make-up tournament on a Sunday in mid-January or so. If teams currently registered would overwhelmingly like this option instead of waiting until March, I am amenable to this but I would need permission from my Principal to use the building, but I do not really foresee this as a problem.

So, for now the new date will be March 29th, unless currently registered teams would prefer a Sunday sometime in mid to late January. Sorry if I have disappointed anyone, but imagine how disappointed I am to do this and maybe that will make you feel better.

And please, once you have read this, spread the word to other teams you might know in case they have not. Thanks!

Also, 2 schools---East Brunswick and Livingston--- have sent a check for tomorrow's tournament. I will mail these back ASAP.

Finally, if you have any questions, post here on the forum and I will try to get back to you as soon as I can.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Perhaps an alternative to a March 29th rescheduling date for the GSAC in an already busy month on the calendar would be to wait two more weeks for April 12th, in a much less busy month?

Log on here to let me know and in the meantime I will see if my building is available for that potentially better date.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

NY States are also on March 29.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

The potential conflict with NY States is one of the reasons why I am asking for feedback on an alternative date like April 12. We do not want to force our NY friends to choose between tournaments if we can find an alternative date avoiding such a conflict. Right now the date of April 12 seems available, but I do not yet know if my building is, but I hope to know by this Monday.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I believe Mike Z was looking at March 29 for a New Jersey championship (against the HSAPQ NY championship the same day). I was looking at April 12, were I able to find a usable set, but since I haven't actually said anything about it, if you wind up taking that date, it's fine.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jon,

Mike Z. indicated on the NJ/NY 2013-2014 Forum that he was now looking at a May 10th date for NAQT States because he apparently lost his building for the 29th, and the only reason I originally scheduled March 29th was because I had read that he was having building availability problems. When I asked my Principal for available Saturdays that were also open on our date claim calendar, the first one he came up with was March 29th. Since it seemed SHP could not use that date, I tentatively asked to take it, but I did suggest to everyone who had registered that a Sunday in January might be OK if they let me know they did not mind. Not one school has responded to that suggestion, but 3 NY schools that registered 8 teams for my December 14th tournament told me that the 29th of March could be problematic due to NY States in Ithaca. It was precisely because it was in Ithaca that I assumed that this was a regional event not affecting local NYC, Long Island or Westchester teams---a misinterpretation by me. So, when I heard the 29th conflicted with NY teams, I went back to my Principal and he told me that April 12th was fine, as was the Sunday of Martin Luther King weekend, January 19th. But since no one has logged on to respond to my suggestion for a Sunday in January, I have decided that April 12th would be my best option, so I claim that date unless I get an overwhelming request in the next 36 hours to pick January 19th instead.

In addition, I did not know that you were contemplating April 12 for your tournament---nothing was ever said until today, as far as I know. I do appreciate your gracious surrender of that date to me if I do not get an overwhelming request from the teams that did register to make the make-up date January 19th.

So, for now, I claim April 12th in the hopes that I can turn it back to you and claim January 19th.

So, here is an appeal to the schools that had registered to compete on December 14th: Would a Sunday tournament on January 19th, the day before the ML King holiday on the 20th, be something that you would have no problem doing? Let me know by responding here on this forum in the next 60 hours or so---by 9 PM on Wednesday December 18th.
Thanks.

Edit : To correct my math---Wednesday at 9 PM = 60 hours, not the 36 I had originally written.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

Manheim Township wouldn't be able to attend on Sunday, January 19th. We are running a middle school tournament the day before, and one tournament per weekend is my limit!
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Ah---the importance of limits! Are you a calculus teacher? Kidding of course. Thanks for your response.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Capitoline
Lulu

Post by Capitoline »

It may also be noteworthy that there will be a History Bowl at Seton Hall on January 18th, which could fatigue teams/coaches.
Ben Cushing
Phoenixville '14
Penn '18
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Virtually every Sunday except President's Day weekend has a Saturday tournament the day before, from January through March. The virtue of selecting the 19th is that the next day, Monday the 20th, is a national holiday, giving everyone a chance to recuperate. As far as I know, no other Sunday from January through March is followed by a day off. But if fatigue is a concern, despite having the following day off, then the 19th clearly should not be chosen.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Edward Powers wrote:Jon,

Mike Z. indicated on the NJ/NY 2013-2014 Forum that he was now looking at a May 10th date for NAQT States because he apparently lost his building for the 29th, and the only reason I originally scheduled March 29th was because I had read that he was having building availability problems.

In addition, I did not know that you were contemplating April 12 for your tournament---nothing was ever said until today, as far as I know. I do appreciate your gracious surrender of that date to me if I do not get an overwhelming request from the teams that did register to make the make-up date January 19th.
Missed the first thing, and absolutely conceded to your point on the second paragraph. I didn't want to announce a date without packets, and I haven't yet had the chance to do the research to confirm that date is in fact available at my school.

January 19 would be tricky, but we might be able to make it.
Jon Pinyan

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Hardly disinterested here, but we've run into issues in California this year with NHBB tournaments scheduled the same weekends (but not the same day) as other events, and the results have not been encouraging. If there's a free weekend anywhere in the calendar, I'd much prefer that get used, as I agree that very few teams are going to want to play two events on successive days.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

POSTPONED DUE TO ELECTRA
The weather was bad enough to give me a complex.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
POSTPONED DUE TO ELECTRA
The weather was bad enough to give me a complex.
You should see what the Weather Channel's dealing with.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

David,

Generally I would agree, and certainly there is no effort here to undermine your Saturday tournament, one which we at SJHS have registered for ourselves. Further, we would have preferred that we were not snowed-out so that the one tournament we host during the year would have already been successfully completed. But alas Mother Nature dictated otherwise. So, all that is being done here is an effort to give teams that had registered for SJHS' GSAC a choice between Sunday, January 19th and an available Saturday, April 12. I prefer to let the teams make this choice as courtesy to them. If they choose the January date while also attending NJ States for your NHBB, it simply suggests that they love Quizbowl and that they are not persuaded by the 'fatigue' argument. And imagine if the 'fatigue' position did win out---it would be an ominous sign for all national tournaments like the NHBB, which normally requires a 3 day investment at least. So, in short, why not let the teams affected decide? And in case you have not noticed, there has not yet been a rush to choose Sunday January 19th, suggesting that the default option will be the available April 12th option. But schools still have another day or so to decide, and that is fine with me, as no doubt it is with you when all is said and done. Or am I wrong about this?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

Ridgewood will be able to attend any day (as long as there's not some other tournament on that day :D) Even if it's after successive tournaments, but we may have to drop a team.
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
MServetasF1
Lulu

Post by MServetasF1 »

I think the 19th is a viable option.
Max Servetas
North Babylon 2014
TonyEgg
Lulu

Post by TonyEgg »

I would strongly prefer January 19th. A Sunday tournament would allow some of my teammates who have consistent Saturday commitments to finally attend a tournament.
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

19th sounds good, saves congestion later in the year. Also, it hopefully won't affect the field too much, since the teams are already registered for it and would probably only drop if its impossible to go or a similar circumstance
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Varun,

I appreciate your preference for January 19th, but your notion that I can just assume that all 32 teams that signed up for the postponed December 14th date will automatically be willing to give up Sunday the 19th is, quite frankly, an assumption that I as a TD cannot make. To be fair, in addition to your preference for the 19th, North Babylon also seemed to prefer it, as did Adithya from High Tech, although it is not clear to me that Coach Eng from High Tech preferred the 19th, which is important. In addition, Ridgewood and Hunter suggested they were amenable to both options, although Ridgewood did admit it might have to drop a team, while Bergen's commitment seemed much more fragile and certainly not firm at all. So, given the fact that there were only two or three schools who strongly preferred the 19th, and two that could go either way,and one that was unsure, that still means the remaining 9 or so schools, representing up to 20 teams, chose not to stipulate a clear preference for the 19th. Since these silent schools represent over 60% of teams that had registered for last weekend's GSAC, I cannot in good conscience hold the tournament on a Sunday in January with only 12 or so teams truly willing to commit and actually show up, when, with a little patience we can potentially attract a full 36 team field again. Consequently, despite the fact that I personally would have preferred running a successful tournament before the end of January instead of waiting over three more months, I have decided that the most prudent and fair thing to do for all who registered for the GSAC on the Maggie Walker Set is to select the currently open April 12 date, and not the equally open March 29th date, which will prevent a conflict for all NY teams going to the March 29th States if they qualify, while giving all NJ teams a respite of two or three weeks from a very crowded March schedule for most of them.

So, later tonight I will notify Mr. Pinyan, who is in charge of the NJ/NY date claim calendar, that St. Joe's is officially claiming the open April 12th Saturday to reschedule GSAC. And given that Spring is a time to prepare for NASAT, if I can find a good NASAT try-out set, which I can probably do, I will also run NASAT try-outs at SJHS immediately after the GSAC Tournament is completed on the 12th for all NJ students wishing to compete for a seat on the NJ All Star Team, and I will naturally coordinate this with all NJ Coaches who wish to help.

Thanks to everyone who stated their preference here or via email to me, and I hope to see up to 36 teams at our rescheduled GSAC in April. I will create a new forum post in a day or two in order to allow teams to register anew if they wish, and of course, to allow new teams the chance to register as well.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ