Kentucky 2013-14

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Kentucky 2013-14

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I like the idea of a back-to-school tournament; it's a niche that has yet to filled since Danville stopped doing it. There's also probably going to be some late season (between KAAC and HSNCT) dates open if you'd like to explore that route.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Could you do Sunday, December 15?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:Could you do Sunday, December 15?
Interesting thought. Don't know if folks would go for a Sunday. Definitely worth thinking about. Could lead to traveling home issues for schools that are farther away.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

I have just discovered that our Middle School facility is available on December 14 when I thought that it was occupied already. It is likely that we will simply use their facility. Expect to see a posting for the Glasgow Scottie Invitational soon!
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Considering the close proximity of our two states and that some schools from Kentucky have competed in WV before, would you be willing to add the West Virginia Quiz Bowl Kickoff to your schedule on 9/28? Dunbar has actually already registered to bring up to three teams, and I feel that since Charleston is not especially far from most of Kentucky that many other teams from your state could find this a nice early season addition to their schedules. The tournament is being held at the University of Charleston, the packet being used will be IS-129A, and the field size is capped at 30 teams.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Bensonfan23 wrote:Considering the close proximity of our two states and that some schools from Kentucky have competed in WV before, would you be willing to add the West Virginia Quiz Bowl Kickoff to your schedule on 9/28? Dunbar has actually already registered to bring up to three teams, and I feel that since Charleston is not especially far from most of Kentucky that many other teams from your state could find this a nice early season addition to their schedules. The tournament is being held at the University of Charleston, the packet being used will be IS-129A, and the field size is capped at 30 teams.
The UofL Arts and Sciences Academic Challenge is being hosted on IS-129A on October 26th, and many teams in Kentucky will be hearing the set there. Dunbar is registered for both tournaments right now, which seems on the face of it to be an issue that the TDs and coaches should probably discuss.

I should probably also point out (and others have agreed with me on this) that our calendar generally only includes out-of-state tournaments when they meet these conditions:

A) In a nearby state
B) Not on a set being used at an in-state tournament
C) Not on the same day as an in-state tournament

This is why you see events like Ezell-Harding and Rowdy Raider on the calendar, because they usually draw so many teams from Kentucky that it would be impossible to host a tournament in Kentucky on the same day. I believe Ezell drew close to 30 teams from our state last year. On another point: while it's great that teams travel long distances to play quizbowl tournaments, and it's a practice I wholeheartedly endorse, I try to focus on events in our circuit on this calendar because tournaments inside Kentucky are generally accessible by Kentucky teams even if they can't afford to travel extensively. This is why you won't find good tournaments in Massachusetts, South Carolina, Texas, or for that matter New Zealand on the calendar in this thread, although such events are advertised elsewhere on the boards and if teams want to travel that far to play a tournament the information is easy to find.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

I'm sorry, I didn't notice that the packet conflicted, and please understand that I am rather new to this site in general. I am also obviously not the TD for this tournament, and I was just posting this on their behalf in hopes of recruiting more teams to the field as they are a family member. I appreciate the clarification, and I will also switch Dunbar to a maybe on the specific tournament post until they explicitly state to the TD their intent to come to only this tournament.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Nick, you know places like Ashland, KY (think Paul G Blazer HS) are MUCH closer to Charleston, WV than Louisville, KY, right? And it's much easier to get to than Bowling Green. It sounds like you're more interested with what concerns you and quiz bowl clubs in Kentucky than you do in helping spread quiz bowl and competitiveness.

edit : antecedents need to agree with precedents
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Mr. Scogan wrote:Nick, you know places like Ashland, KY (think Paul G Blazer HS) are MUCH closer to Charleston, WV than Louisville, KY, right? And it's much easier to get to than Bowling Green. It sounds like you're more interested with what concerns you and quiz bowl clubs in Kentucky than you do in helping spread quiz bowl and competitiveness.

Where did I say Blazer couldn't go the West Virginia tournament? If I were their coach, I'd probably go to it and that goes for any of the handful of schools in northeastern Kentucky that are closer to Charleston than Louisville. This specific issue concerns a single tournament that is run on the same set as one of the major tournaments in our state. I have long been an advocate of more tournaments in more places, and my dream is to one day see the quizbowl circuit in Kentucky (and indeed nationwide) be large enough that every set written could be hosted in every corner of the state and draw a full field to every site. We aren't currently to that point obviously, but teams should still go to the nearest site when possible, and in this case Louisville is the nearest site for 95% of the state. If the set in question was being used in Bowling Green, then Charleston would be closer for a large portion of the state and this would be a different discussion.

With this specific calendar that I'm running for no other reason than to allow Kentucky TDs to coordinate when they host things, I'm not sure I need to start advertising every out-of-state tournament that is a bit closer to a few of our schools than an in-state event. For one thing, I don't want to discourage people in-state from hosting something when obviously somebody (let's say Blazer since you mentioned them) could announce tomorrow that they're hosting a tournament on 9/28. More importantly, if I included every tournament within two hours of one corner of Kentucky to the calendar, it would be extremely crowded and I would have to spend a large portion of my time researching how long it takes to get to every tournament east of Kansas from every part of the state.

As to the last portion of your statement (I don't care about spreading quizbowl? Really?) the entire purpose of this thread is helping organize the quizbowl circuit in Kentucky. So yes my first post in this thread was explicitly concerned with tournaments happening in Kentucky or that have a major, major, major impact on the circuit here. If somebody wants to start a separate calendar that includes every tournament that could possibly attract KY teams then you're quite welcome to, it's just not the purpose of the first post I made in this thread. What I might do, if this seems alright with people on both sides of the issue, is add links to calendars in nearby states and just not have any out-of-state events in our calendar.

(edit on 22:49 CDT, 9/1/2013) I've removed specific references to out-of-state events (and college events, since they just clogged things up and caused confusion) from the first post in the thread and linked to relevant information for each of our neighbor states. I encourage teams to use those resources to research which events are best for their teams to attend.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

Nick, very glad you posted this about the West Virginia tournament. I have contacted the two teams that overlapped with that tournament and ours. Thanks Nick.
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Mr. Scogan wrote:Nick, you know places like Ashland, KY (think Paul G Blazer HS) are MUCH closer to Charleston, WV than Louisville, KY, right? And it's much easier to get to than Bowling Green. It sounds like you're more interested with what concerns you and quiz bowl clubs in Kentucky than you do in helping spread quiz bowl and competitiveness.

So, I'm not board staff and, as such, I can't tell anyone what or how to post. That said, I'd like to make a suggestion about how these overlaps are handled in state threads.

I don't think that a state thread is under any requirement to add out of state tournaments to its listings. I think this is particularly true in a case like, say, Ohio, which has a very active schedule in-state and is also bordered by many other states. An Ohio calendar that included every single tournament in Michigan, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Indiana. That said, if a tournament were to draw multiple Ohio teams and was appealing to a significant number of them, it could be included at the discretion of whoever maintains the calendar. But one of the calendar's two main functions (in addition to providing an easy and quick list of tournaments being held of interest to teams in a state) is to serve as an easy way for in-state hosts to figure out what conflicts they could face with different possible dates for hosting. The inclusion of all out of state tournaments would make fulfilling this purpose far more difficult and would make the listing less useful.

Posting in a state thread that your tournament Y in a nearby border state Z is happening on date X, and that teams in state W are more than welcome to attend, should be sufficient help draw in those teams in addition to more traditional forms of team recruitment.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Hello to all,

I am sorry to say that there will be no Glasgow Scottie Invitational at Glasgow High School this December. We have been unable to solve our facility issues. In addition, I looked up the Beta dates and Kentucky Beta Conference will be on the weekend of December 13-14 this year as well.

At this time, we do not know if we will be able to find an alternate date for a tournament. I have looked at January 4th but expect that NHBB will use that date for the Western Kentucky Regional. I have also had positive feedback from several people to do a tournament in late September (after Ezell).

Thank you so much to everyone who supported our tournament last year. We are disappointed that we have been unable to resolve our conflicts as we really feel that we can put on a good tournament. Hopefully, we can find our quiz bowl niche soon!

Todd

p.s. I would appreciate any feedback you would like to give on possible dates.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Peabody wrote:Hello to all,

I am sorry to say that there will be no Glasgow Scottie Invitational at Glasgow High School this December. We have been unable to solve our facility issues. In addition, I looked up the Beta dates and Kentucky Beta Conference will be on the weekend of December 13-14 this year as well.

At this time, we do not know if we will be able to find an alternate date for a tournament. I have looked at January 4th but expect that NHBB will use that date for the Western Kentucky Regional. I have also had positive feedback from several people to do a tournament in late September (after Ezell).

Thank you so much to everyone who supported our tournament last year. We are disappointed that we have been unable to resolve our conflicts as we really feel that we can put on a good tournament. Hopefully, we can find our quiz bowl niche soon!

Todd

p.s. I would appreciate any feedback you would like to give on possible dates.
Have you talked to other high schools about potentially co-hosting an event? If you have facility problems but still have staff willing to help out, you may find a willing partner in the area.

In general, this is something a lot of places should consider. I don't know if anyone from Ballard or Eastern wants to weigh in, but they do a good job of co-hosting tournaments from what I understand.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

WKU has decided not write a tournament in coordination with other schools (as we had originally planned) and instead will be announcing something else to take place on April 5.

NHBB has announced the Western Kentucky History Bowl will take place on January 11, which is the same day as FCAT. I presume there will be some overlap with that, but perhaps our quizbowl circuit has developed enough that we can support two pyramidal events on opposite ends of the state on one day. That also means that nobody is hosting a tournament in Kentucky after November 23 and before January 11, leaving open the previously discussed dates of December 14 and January 4.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:WKU has decided not write a tournament in coordination with other schools (as we had originally planned) and instead will be announcing something else to take place on April 5.

NHBB has announced the Western Kentucky History Bowl will take place on January 11, which is the same day as FCAT. I presume there will be some overlap with that, but perhaps our quizbowl circuit has developed enough that we can support two pyramidal events on opposite ends of the state on one day. That also means that nobody is hosting a tournament in Kentucky after November 23 and before January 11, leaving open the previously discussed dates of December 14 and January 4.
Glasgow would like to (tentatively) claim the January 4th date for a tournament. Give me a few days to make sure that we can do that date and I will post a definite decision. Also, I want to remind you that Beta convention will take place on Dec. 13 and 14th and a lot of schools do that.

Thanks again Nick for keeping this up do date!
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Post by Helmuth von Moltke »

Gatton Academy was a quarterfinalist and Johnson Central A and Dunbar B were semifinalists at Ezell-Harding yesterday.

Very nice representation for Kentucky.
Last edited by Helmuth von Moltke on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Warlockoftheeast
Lulu

Post by Warlockoftheeast »

Congratulations to all of the great teams that represented Kentucky at Ezell yesterday!
Kieren Weisert
"Away! away! for I will fly to thee,"-Ode to a Nightingale
Corbin High School '14
Columbia University in the City of New York '18

Johnny Quizbowl.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Helmuth von Moltke wrote:Gatton Academy was a semi finalist and Johnson Central A and Dunbar B were quarter finalists at Ezell-Harding yesterday.

Very nice representation for Kentucky.
Gatton actually lost in the quarterfinals, but didn't you say in the other thread that you all made the semis?

And Kentucky did great yesterday, 9 teams from the state went 5-0 or 4-1 in the morning (Dunbar, Glasgow, Pikeville, Gatton, Johnson Central, Russell, Dunbar B, Campbell C, and Dunbar C) and as pointed out several made good runs in the playoffs.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

I switched the two prefixes and didn't catch it before I posted. I shall edit that.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

The final four teams were:

1. Chattahoochee (GA)
2. Dorman A (SC)
3. Johnson Central A (KY)
4. Dunbar B (KY)
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB's Eastern KY History Bee and Bowl is confirmed for Johnson Central on December 14. Registration at www.historybowl.com/registration
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:NHBB's Eastern KY History Bee and Bowl is confirmed for Johnson Central on December 14. Registration at http://www.historybowl.com/registration
Is this not the date for Hart Co?
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Helmuth von Moltke wrote:
Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:NHBB's Eastern KY History Bee and Bowl is confirmed for Johnson Central on December 14. Registration at http://www.historybowl.com/registration
It's the date for Beta, although no longer the date for Glasgow. I don't even know if Hart Co. is happening, but if it's on December 14 people should skip that and go to History Bowl, Beta, or just sleep all day.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:
Helmuth von Moltke wrote:
It's the date for Beta, although no longer the date for Glasgow. I don't even know if Hart Co. is happening, but if it's on December 14 people should skip that and go to History Bowl, Beta, or just sleep all day.
I keep mixing those tournaments up, for some reason. There seems to be no conflict with Johnson Central hosting December 14, as stated about a minute ago after deliberating with our assistant coach.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Hart County is on November 2nd, a date I would love to have. They haven't sent anything out yet, but their coach tells me that it is going to happen, as usual, on the 1st Saturday in November.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

I have just posted an invitation to the 2014 Scottie Invitational in Glasgow, Kentucky on Saturday, January 4th, 2014 to the Regular Season Tournament Announcement thread. We hope you will come. Please contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Manual was ranked 10th and Dunbar 13th in the HSQB Preseason Poll. Pikeville and Corbin also received some votes.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Due to the previously unknown conflict with Beta Club on 12/14, NHBB Eastern KY is being moved to Saturday, 2/8 - still at Johnson Central. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Nick,

You may want to include the SSNCT on May 3 in Minneapolis for the small schools (by NAQT definition). NAQT will not be having a small school playoff at the HSNCT in Chicago this year. They have created a separate event in Minneapolis.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Below is a copy of the invitation email that went to several coaches/sponsors around the state. It's basically an update of the information related to the FCAT that went out in May:

Fleming County High School (Kentucky) will be hosting the 16th annual Fleming County Academic Tournament on January 11, 2014. We plan on using HSAPQ questions again (no word for sure on which set but probably VHSL season sets). The sets will be modified a bit to closely simulate Governor's Cup format (we'll have 20 toss ups per half with single part bonuses tied to the toss up)

Most of the details are the same as previous years. There is a $60 entry for a school's first team, $30 for additional teams (we do ask schools to bring a working buzzer and a moderator/score keeper). We plan to keep the pool play format, with reseeding into the afternoon pool rounds. We will still guarantee 6 games, three preliminary matches reseeded into playoff brackets.

There will still be varsity and "B" team divisions. We will plan to tentatively set a 32 team cap. IF we can secure the volunteers it's possible we may expand to 36.

More details as we move forward,

thanks, and I hope to see you at the FCAT,

Kent

ps. currently the field stands at:

Ashland 1-A, 2-B
Fleming 1-a, 1-B
Campbell Co. 1-A, 2-B
Dunbar 2-A, 2-B
Johnson Central 1-A, 1-B
Woodford Co. 1-A, 2-B
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

U of L A & S resulted in:

1. DuPont A
2. DuPont B
3. Gatton Academy
4. Johnson Central

I'm really curious as to what your guys' post Louisville rankings are.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Post by The ChatSack Triple-Play »

Helmuth von Moltke wrote:U of L A & S resulted in:

1. DuPont A
2. DuPont B
3. Gatton Academy
4. Johnson Central

I'm really curious as to what your guys' post Louisville rankings are.
Honestly, for an actual list I'd wait a month for Hilltopper and UK to happen, just because Ezell was single-elim and this was on an A-set, which means first lines, first lines everywhere. [I do believe my tier-based system has been pretty vindicated, though.] BISB and JAMES appear to be well-written regdiff and both tournaments will draw strong fields with good staffers.

I am not making this post because I am greedy and want Gatton to have a statline at full strength.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

UK Pre-Nationals will be a two-day event on May 10 and 11. We'll be using two college difficulty sets TBD. Room will be limited because I honestly don't know how many moderators I can count on being around at that time, and I'll also probably heavily encourage teams to do their best to contribute experienced, talented moderators as they can.

Participation on both days is NOT required.

We may have to modify the date for UK Spring to a Sunday due to other on campus events. We'll try to announce this ASAP.
Fred Morlan
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

As Alex mentioned, though A-sets have a habit of skewing stats a little, I found the following to be an interesting comparison, specifically the power percentage.

Manual A at our tournament

Dunbar A on the same set(albeit with silly rules)

Maybe a premature comparison, but certainly interesting.
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Pretty sure in WV only a certain # of tossups have powers. There's not a lot you can get out of this comparison.
Fred Morlan
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

That makes a lot of sense, as George Washington HS played at our tournament on 127A and the WV tournament on 129A. I don't think the difference came from a few more weeks of studying.

http://naqt.com/stats/tournament-teams. ... nt_id=5098 : 8.3 15PG

http://naqt.com/stats/tournament-teams. ... nt_id=5109 : 4.11 15PG
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
sephirothrr

Post by sephirothrr »

Ah, I knew the rules were a little weird, but not that weird. I guess they use like the old PACE format or something?
Ramapriya
University of Louisville
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

sephirothrr wrote:Ah, I knew the rules were a little weird, but not that weird. I guess they use like the old PACE format or something?
No, because the old PACE format was pretty fair.

This was at University High School a few weeks later but:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=269347#p269347 wrote:The format was 20 Questions per round, with no worksheet and neither powers nor negs.
Tossups 1-15 were worth 10 points each and they had no bonuses attached.
Tossups 16-20 were worth 10 points each and they had standard 3-part bonuses attached without the chance for bounce-back.
Fred Morlan
sephirothrr

Post by sephirothrr »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=269347#p269347 wrote:The format was 20 Questions per round, with no worksheet and neither powers nor negs.
Tossups 1-15 were worth 10 points each and they had no bonuses attached.
Tossups 16-20 were worth 10 points each and they had standard 3-part bonuses attached without the chance for bounce-back.
Oh good, because making four random tossups worth potentially four times as much for no reason definitely makes sense.

And for the record, I wasn't hating on the PACE format, it just seemed like the closest point of comparison.

I'll stop taking this thread off topic now.
Ramapriya
University of Louisville
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Pending room reservations and the selection of a set, we will be hosting the University of Kentucky Spring Championship on SUNDAY, March 9th. I apologize to any teams that can't do a Sunday for any reason, but this is the best date available to us.
Fred Morlan
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Do we have any idea on the field for Hart Co. this weekend?
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Hart Co. Results:

1. Johnson Central A
2. Henderson Co. A

Semifinalists:

Johnson B
Apollo
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Any word on the remainder of the Hart Co. Field? What format and question source did they use?
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:Pending room reservations and the selection of a set, we will be hosting the University of Kentucky Spring Championship on SUNDAY, March 9th. I apologize to any teams that can't do a Sunday for any reason, but this is the best date available to us.
This is official now.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We'll be using BHSAT for our Spring Championship.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

WKU will be hosting our Spring tournament, ARTIST, on April 5. It's a mirror of the always excellent LIST set, and we hope to see you all in April for a fun tournament.

We're also hosting a mirror of ACF Regionals (a major collegiate tournament) on February 22. High school teams are welcome to attend, although please note that the field will be mostly college teams on collegiate regular difficulty questions.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Hey! Kentucky teams!
I've already emailed ~150 or so of you, and Vanderbilt would love to host you at our 43rd Academic Bowl Competition on February 22nd on IS-134. Come enjoy Music City at its finest! Previous ABCs have seen many Kentucky participants and we hope that this one will be no exception.
Edit: You will also face some of the best teams in Tennessee, such as Ezell-Harding, Farragut, and the yet-unranked University School of Nashville.
All of the details, including how to register and how to pay, are in that post.
Feel free to contact me specifically (PM or email on my profile) or us in general (vandyquizbowl AT gmail DOT com) if you have any questions.
Last edited by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd stop in and pitch a tournament OSU is hosting on January 11th, 2014, Winter War 3. We already have a pretty good looking field including DCC and some good Ohio schools, and we'd love to see some Kentucky teams in Columbus. Information on the tournament and how to register can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15207

Thanks!
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

UK will be using NAQT SCT D2 for one day of our pre-nationals tournament. I anticipate an official announcement for this tournament to be up after my finals next week.
Fred Morlan