West Coast Schedule Discussion

Old college threads.
Capricious
Lulu

West Coast Schedule Discussion

Post by Capricious »

I am curious as to whether people see the west coast as one giant circuit or fragmented into NorCal and SoCal.

Being poor desert folk, it is impractical for us to drive 10+ hours to the Bay Area more than a couple of times a year. It is obviously in our best interest to have all tournaments hosted in SoCal.

Additionally, if No one has the capabilities to host hypothetical tournament, but still want to play said tournament, ASU has the means to host, though I imagine the number of people willing to travel to Arizona is low.
Joe Yu
Person in Arizona
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: West Coast Schedule Discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

It is rather fragmented, primarily because there is six hours' driving distance between LA and the Bay Area containing only one currently active team (Fresno State).

Hosting everything in southern California isn't a good solution, because it means Berkeley and Stanford have to drive six hours each way for everything. Ideally, I think we should host at least one (but no more than two) of the set (ACF Fall/NAQT SCT/ACF Regionals) in the Bay Area each year, and the other(s) in southern California.

Long-term, of course, the best solution is to recruit more schools (start by hosting easier sets like Collegiate Novice and MUT in northern California, southern California, and the southwest). Take a look at Nicholas's field update for our Collegiate Novice site to get a sense of what might be possible.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The work you do in the high school circuit is important as well. Imagine how much easier it would be if a thriving high school circuit led those players starting and/or joining active clubs at Arizona, Arizona State, Northern Arizona, and other area schools? All of the sudden it makes it easier to host smaller tournaments on easier questions, and furthermore gives Arizona more cache in shaping the West Coast schedule.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Capricious
Lulu

Post by Capricious »

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:The work you do in the high school circuit is important as well. Imagine how much easier it would be if a thriving high school circuit led those players starting and/or joining active clubs at Arizona, Arizona State, Northern Arizona, and other area schools? All of the sudden it makes it easier to host smaller tournaments on easier questions, and furthermore gives Arizona more cache in shaping the West Coast schedule.
ASU has been hosting high school tournaments since 2010. Participation has increased every year since then to the point where today, I would describe the circuit as "thriving". However, the returns have not trickled up yet to the collegiate level. Things are looking up this year with Ian McCloskey going to Arizona, but it is unrealistic to believe any sort of a circuit will develop any time soon in the southwest. To my knowledge, I don't know of anyone who has played quizbowl at Northern Arizona. Beyond the three Arizona schools, it is a stretch to describe any school to be in our area. I don't think there are many people at Random Mountain U, having never heard of quizbowl before, who are willing to drive vast distances likely out-of-pocket to play tournaments.
bt_green_warbler wrote:It is rather fragmented, primarily because there is six hours' driving distance between LA and the Bay Area containing only one currently active team (Fresno State).

Hosting everything in southern California isn't a good solution, because it means Berkeley and Stanford have to drive six hours each way for everything. Ideally, I think we should host at least one (but no more than two) of the set (ACF Fall/NAQT SCT/ACF Regionals) in the Bay Area each year, and the other(s) in southern California.

Long-term, of course, the best solution is to recruit more schools (start by hosting easier sets like Collegiate Novice and MUT in northern California, southern California, and the southwest). Take a look at Nicholas's field update for our Collegiate Novice site to get a sense of what might be possible.
I think that planned schedule would be acceptable. I would like to know what avenues of outreach were used to reach the fantastic results at the Berkeley Collegiate Novice field, though for obvious reasons, those results would be much harder to replicate here.
Joe Yu
Person in Arizona
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

How much of a West Coast schedule is even there at all? Are any of Michigan Fall, Penn Bowl, or DRAGOON getting mirrored in either NorCal or SoCal this semester?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

RyuAqua wrote:How much of a West Coast schedule is even there at all? Are any of Michigan Fall, Penn Bowl, or DRAGOON getting mirrored in either NorCal or SoCal this semester?
None of those (with the possible but unlikely exception of Penn Bowl). We're running Collegiate Novice and ACF Fall in Berkeley this semester.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Capricious
Lulu

Post by Capricious »

Caltech has expressed interest in hosting one of those in November.
Joe Yu
Person in Arizona
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

RyuAqua wrote:How much of a West Coast schedule is even there at all? Are any of Michigan Fall, Penn Bowl, or DRAGOON getting mirrored in either NorCal or SoCal this semester?
Clearly the solution is to play the Skype mirror...right?
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Ringil wrote:
Yeah, we'd love to have some California teams play this. We're also going to do a DRAGOON Skype mirror.

We'd like to attend one or maybe two tournament in the Bay Area this year, although it's frustrating when we do things like travel to Berkeley and Stanford doesn't show up (see: WIT last year).
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

Mike Bentley wrote:
Ringil wrote:
Yeah, we'd love to have some California teams play this. We're also going to do a DRAGOON Skype mirror.

We'd like to attend one or maybe two tournament in the Bay Area this year, although it's frustrating when we do things like travel to Berkeley and Stanford doesn't show up (see: WIT last year).
Don't worry, when we run SUBMIT at Berkeley next semester, they'll be sure to show up. They even sealed the contract with the ritual bloodletting of a newly weaned lamb as a token of their good faith.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

Cal Poly SLO is now active as well (between LA and the Bay Area).

I was very disappointed we couldn't get Collegiate Novice held in SoCal, since it was the best way to get many of the new teams (such as USC, UCLA, etc) involved. Hopefully we can get things together in SoCal soon. It sounds like there is not much going on in WA besides for UW and I'm working to re-activate the Oregon circuit.

The West Coast circuit will improve and expand with time.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

List of Fighting Spirit characters wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:
Ringil wrote:

Don't worry, when we run SUBMIT at Berkeley next semester, they'll be sure to show up. They even sealed the contract with the ritual bloodletting of a newly weaned lamb as a token of their good faith.
While we're talking about scheduling, when will the Berkeley SUBMIT mirror take place?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Reviving this old thread to make a general statement that we have three Southern California colleges that have not attended a tournament in the last two colleges (USC, UCLA, UCSB) that are keenly interested in competing in the 2014-2015 season. USC and UCLA in particular already have a program running with several people involved.

I'm trying to get a mirror of Collegiate Novice and at least one other regular or regular-minus tournament (besides ACF Regs and/or SCT) hosted in SoCal, in order to retain what is currently a doubling of the SoCal college circuit in terms of growth, since the only way to exist as a quiz bowl program is to actually play quiz bowl. Teams from other circuits are welcome, of course, since a larger and more competitive field would be immensely helpful for outreach purposes.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

ALGOL 68 wrote:Reviving this old thread to make a general statement that we have three Southern California colleges that have not attended a tournament in the last two colleges (USC, UCLA, UCSB) that are keenly interested in competing in the 2014-2015 season. USC and UCLA in particular already have a program running with several people involved.

I'm trying to get a mirror of Collegiate Novice and at least one other regular or regular-minus tournament (besides ACF Regs and/or SCT) hosted in SoCal, in order to retain what is currently a doubling of the SoCal college circuit in terms of growth, since the only way to exist as a quiz bowl program is to actually play quiz bowl. Teams from other circuits are welcome, of course, since a larger and more competitive field would be immensely helpful for outreach purposes.
Yes that is great- definitely should run Novice and other tournaments in SoCal. Hopefully you can also get Occidental involved (and get Riverside re-involved since it seems like their team died)
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

For those of you who are interested, UCLA is trying to get a team off the ground and moving this coming year. I've tried with not much success to get them onto the boards, but they are willing to do things and you might think of finding their club facebook page if you ever want to contact them.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

njsbling wrote: Yes that is great- definitely should run Novice and other tournaments in SoCal. Hopefully you can also get Occidental involved (and get Riverside re-involved since it seems like their team died)
Fun fact, my friend told me that Riverside has intramural tournaments between freshman dorms run on questions, buzzers and all. She didn't actually attend so she didn't describe it all that well, but her words were "exactly like the stuff you did in high school." Since the only academic teams I did in high school that involved buzzers were pyramidal, that's an interesting lead. Is there any source their building councils could be getting pyramidal questions from?
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017