What is your opinion?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Wbrandon
Lulu

What is your opinion?

Post by Wbrandon »

Before I answer a question I generally say "is it..." or "is the answer...". People have criticized that habit saying that it is stalling or just poor etiquette. I just do it to have an extra tiny bit of time to gather my thoughts. What is your opinion on the practice, is it bad etiquette?
Will Brandon

7th place MSNCT

Middlesex Middleschool 2013
Darien Highschool 2017
Cheynem
Sin

Re: What is your opinion?

Post by Cheynem »

I don't really see how it's bad etiquette unless you mean you are using it as a subtle way of stalling (i.e., the moderator would be less willing to neg you for time if you start to say something) and even then, that's really on the moderator to actually enforce the rules (I should someday publish my list of "Ways to Extend Your Amount of Time on Tossups After Buzzing In").
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
blizzard
Lulu

Post by blizzard »

After I buzz, I tend to talk to myself (a lot of "Ok, so this is [answer]" or "I know this I know this, umm, [answer]") which helps me gather my thoughts and confirm my answer. However, I also always make sure I know what format I am playing or how the the moderator times so that I know when I have to start giving my real answer. As long as you start giving your actual answer before time is up, than I don't think it makes a difference what you say before that (unless it may be unclear whether you are giving an answer or not). In regards to etiquette, unless you are saying something rude or trying to stall, does it really matter?
Sam
Wbrandon
Lulu

Post by Wbrandon »

Does anyone know the exact amount of time you have to answer a question?
Will Brandon

7th place MSNCT

Darien Highschool 2017
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Wbrandon wrote:Does anyone know the exact amount of time you have to answer a question?
For tournaments using ACF rules, it's 5 seconds. If they're using timed NAQT rules, it's 2 seconds.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Wbrandon
Lulu

Post by Wbrandon »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:
Wbrandon wrote:Does anyone know the exact amount of time you have to answer a question?
For tournaments using ACF rules, it's 5 seconds. If they're using timed NAQT rules, it's 2 seconds.
If the question is "Name 2013's number one men's slalom skier" would the time start when I say "Is the answer" or the actual answer I.E. "Marcel Hirscher".
Will Brandon

7th place MSNCT

Darien Highschool 2017
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Wbrandon wrote:
If the question is "Name 2013's number one men's slalom skier" would the time start when I say "Is the answer" or the actual answer I.E. "Marcel Hirscher".
NAQT rules G.4 wrote:An answer to a tossup must begin within 2 seconds after the player has been recognized.
NAQT rules I.4.c. wrote:Extraneous information preceding a response is disregarded (e.g., What is a wombat? or They're all Californians)
Thus, your answer starts when you begin to provide an actual answer; you may provide extraneous information within the two seconds, but you do not thereby gain additional time on the clock.

Edit: clarity
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Wbrandon wrote:
The time begins when you have pressed the buzzer. If you have not said anything of substance before the end of the allotted time you should be ruled incorrect. With a 5 second clock, if the moderator hears the buzzer acknowledges you and begins counting in their head [1] [2] [3] [4] "Is the ans[5]wer...." TIME, you get either a neg 5 or no points. If it goes more like: buzz, acknowledge [1] [2] [3] "Is the answ[4]er Marcel [5] Hirscher, then you should get your 10 points.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org