QuAC V at Penn (1/25/2014)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ras superfamily
Wakka

QuAC V at Penn (1/25/2014)

Post by Ras superfamily »

This is the announcement for the 5th iteration of the Quaker Academic Competition at the University of Pennsylvania. The tournament will take place on January 25th, 2014.

Questions / Tournament Format:

We will be using the HSAPQ regular season set for this tournament. These will be power-marked regular difficulty questions, so we encourage teams of all skill levels to attend.

We will endeavor to maximize the number of guaranteed games for all teams in attendance. In doing so, will use brackets and an ACF style final. All games will run in accordance with ACF rules (5 seconds to buzz, 5 seconds to answer, and 5 seconds after the end of a bonus part).

Nationals Qualifications:

QuAC V has been awarded a Platinum NSC Affiliation. As a Platinum Affiliated tournament, the top 25% of teams, rounded up, will qualify for the PACE NSC.

We will use the following fee structure:
$70 for first team
$50 for each additional team
-$5 for each working buzzer system
-$10 for each experienced staffer
-$10 for every 200 miles traveled
Minimum fee per team: $30

To register, please contact me at [email protected] with the number of teams you plan to bring as well as any discounts you plan to claim.

Logistics:

Registration will be between 8:15 and 8:45AM in the Hall of Flags in Houston Hall. Games will be played starting at 9:00AM in Williams Hall.

Current Field (teams, buzzers, moderators)
"Deep Green" (1/0/0)
Eastern Lebanon County (1/0/0)
Great Valley (1/2/0)
High Tech (2/2/0)
Kellenberg (1/4/0)
Loudoun County (2/0/1)
Manheim Township (2/0/0)
Mountain Lakes (3/3/1)
Phoenixville (2/0/0)
Pingry (2/0/0)
Red Lion (1/0/0)
Ridgewood (1/2/2)
St. Joe's (2/2/1)
State College (2/1/0)
West Windsor-Plainsboro North (3/0/0)
Wilmington Charter (4/2/1)
Wissahickon (2/2/0)

Total: (32/20/6)
Cap: 32

Wait list (In the order they were received):
Shippensburg (2)
Red Lion (2)
Gonzaga (1)

Interested:
"West Egg" (1-2/0/0)

Feel free to contact me by email at [email protected] or on the forums if you have any questions.
Last edited by Ras superfamily on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:40 am, edited 36 times in total.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Re: QuAC V at Penn (10/5/2013)

The field in the original post is up to date. Get your registrations in! This is the only HSAPQ regular season set for the academic year!
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Re: QuAC V at Penn (10/5/2013)

This tournament has been awarded a Platinum NSC Affiliation
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Re: QuAC V at Penn (1/25/2014)

This tournament has been rescheduled to January 25th, 2014
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Apostolic Prefecture of Kompong Cham
Lulu

Post by Apostolic Prefecture of Kompong Cham »

Which set will this tournament be using? In your original post you indicated that you will be using the HSAPQ set, but this is listed as mirroring LIST IV in another thread.(viewtopic.php?f=109&t=14581)
Arjuna Subramanian
Montgomery Blair '15
Princeton '19
Caltech '24/'25
Ras superfamily
Wakka

We will be using HSAPQ 42
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

St. Joe's of Metuchen, NJ would like to register 2 teams, 2 buzzers and 1 moderator.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

Ridgewood, NJ would like to register 1 team and 2 buzzers.
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
Insolvency law of Canada
Lulu

Post by Insolvency law of Canada »

High Tech, NJ, would like to register 2 teams and 2 buzzers.
Patrick LeBlanc
High Technology High School '10-'14
Captain '13-'14
Jcarlson
Lulu

Post by Jcarlson »

Charter School of Wilmington, DE would like to register to bring 4 teams, 2 buzzers, and a moderator.
Jaimie Carlson
Charter School of Wilmington '14
Quizbowl Team Captain
HSNCT '12, '13

"There is a thin line between weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." -Night Vale Radio

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." -Douglas Adams
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

By the way, I think you mean (teams, buzzers, moderators) on teams registering, based off of what other people have said. It just makes it less confusing.
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Redgrass1 wrote:By the way, I think you mean (teams, buzzers, moderators) on teams registering, based off of what other people have said. It just makes it less confusing.
Yeah, thanks for pointing that out
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

Great Neck South is interested as "West Egg" for 1 - 2 team, 0 buzzers, and 0 moderators. The team number is still tentative.

Also, is the 200 miles traveled one way?

Thanks!
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
Ras superfamily
Wakka

czheng0708 wrote:Great Neck South is interested as "West Egg" for 1 - 2 team, 0 buzzers, and 0 moderators. The team number is still tentative.

Also, is the 200 miles traveled one way?

Thanks!
It is 200 miles one-way.

Also, I need an official email registration from all teams so that I have an address at which to contact you.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

You should update your database listing.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Kellenberg Mem HS - 2 teams, 4 buzzers, 0 moderators
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Our field cap is 32 unless we get more staffers. Teams that have registered in this thread but have not emailed me still need to do so.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

Mountain Lakes would like to bring 3-4 teams, 3 buzzers, 1 moderator.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Ras superfamily
Wakka

The field is almost full. We will be evaluating possibly raising the field cap to 36.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Ras superfamily
Wakka

The field is now full. New registrations will be placed on the wait list in the order in which they are received.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Ras superfamily
Wakka

All registered and waitlisted teams should have received an email from me with some logistical details
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

This tournament happened and Charter A beat High Tech A in a one-game final by five points. State College A came third after losing a one-game tiebreaker against Charter A to determine who would face High Tech A in the finals. Due to some technical difficulties, stats will only be up by Monday night.

I also picked up a quizbowl notebook after the tournament. Based on the names assigned to some drawings of snails inside, it seems to belong to someone from Phoenixville. If they are interested in getting it back, they should PM me.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:This tournament happened and Charter A beat High Tech A in a one-game final by five points. State College A came third after losing a one-game tiebreaker against Charter A to determine who would face High Tech A in the finals.
I believe we (Charter B) tied State College A for third...since we finished second in the other playoff bracket. Also, for future years it may be nice to have a third place match...idk just a random thought I had while playing. Thanks to Penn for a great and fun tournament! We hope to be in attendance again next year!
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

My three teams of widely varying talent levels all had a good time at this tournament and enjoyed the questions, and also remarked about how smoothly things went on the way home; this was a good tournament.

Having said that, teams and coaches really need to pay attention to what question sets different tournaments are using. There is no reason that a team should ever end up at a tournament using questions that they've already played like happened yesterday.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Any update on stats for the tournament?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

Chunky Sean wrote:
Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:This tournament happened and Charter A beat High Tech A in a one-game final by five points. State College A came third after losing a one-game tiebreaker against Charter A to determine who would face High Tech A in the finals.
I believe we (Charter B) tied State College A for third...since we finished second in the other playoff bracket. Also, for future years it may be nice to have a third place match...idk just a random thought I had while playing. Thanks to Penn for a great and fun tournament! We hope to be in attendance again next year!
This is true. It's possible that we'll look into this for future tournaments. We hope everyone comes back to more Penn-hosted tournaments in the future.
Northern Central Railway wrote:My three teams of widely varying talent levels all had a good time at this tournament and enjoyed the questions, and also remarked about how smoothly things went on the way home; this was a good tournament.

Having said that, teams and coaches really need to pay attention to what question sets different tournaments are using. There is no reason that a team should ever end up at a tournament using questions that they've already played like happened yesterday.
We're glad that your team had fun. We would also like to thank the team you mentioned for being honest and forthright about their prior experience playing the pack and agreeing to vacate their games. While ideally no team should even start to play a tournament they already played, if it happens, this is what that team should do ASAP.
Edward Powers wrote:Any update on stats for the tournament?
I want to apologize for the delay, I've been caught up in schoolwork and have been unable to finish doing stats. Nonetheless, all stats should be uploaded during our Thursday practice.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Rikku

Stats are up. Two scoresheets still have to be entered and playoff divisions have to be made, so those will be done together on Monday night. I'm sorry about this delay.

Prelims: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/

Full: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... tats/full/

Also, PM me for errors a lot if names were illegible on the first round scoresheet and to correct them would take too much time when you have to merge the stats afterwards.
Patrick Liao
rmccoll
Kimahri

Post by rmccoll »

Patrick,

Just a friendly reminder to please complete the stats and post them when you get a chance.

Thanks!
Ron McColl
Phoenixville Academic Team Coach
Ron McColl
PAHS Academic Team Advisor
Insolvency law of Canada
Lulu

Post by Insolvency law of Canada »

rmccoll wrote:Patrick,

Just a friendly reminder to please complete the stats and post them when you get a chance.

Thanks!
Ron McColl
Sorry if I'm wrong, but doesn't it appear as if the stats are already there?
Patrick LeBlanc
High Technology High School '10-'14
Captain '13-'14
Rikku

Hurrah!Praga! wrote:
rmccoll wrote:Patrick,

Thanks!
Ron McColl
Sorry if I'm wrong, but doesn't it appear as if the stats are already there?
I updated all the stats (2 missing scoresheets, playoff divisions, stats corrections that were PMed to me) Monday night, but it was a stealth edit. I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
Patrick Liao