LIFT XIII - Kellenberg Mem HS, NY - Nov. 16, 2013 - IS-130

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BroNi
Rikku

LIFT XIII - Kellenberg Mem HS, NY - Nov. 16, 2013 - IS-130

Post by BroNi »

LIFT (Long Island Fall Tournament) XIII will be held on November 16, 2013 at Kellenberg Memorial High School, Uniondale, NY.

Information concerning LIFT XIII:

- $65.00 First team, $55.00 each additional team
- Discounts: $10.00/buzzer system, $10.00/moderator, $10.00/100 mile travel (based on Google maps from town to Uniondale, NY): maximum total discount $50.00
- NAQT IS-130 (20/20 untimed)
-We will have prelim. brackets, and then ranked playoff brackets and then crossover games.
-We are tentatively setting a limit of 36 UPDATE 48 teams, and a maximum of 4 teams/school. CHANGE as of 9/29: 3 teams/school. Additional teams will be placed on a wait list.
- Location: Kellenberg Memorial HS in Uniondale, Long Island, NY, 30 miles E of NYC, right off of Exit M4 West from the Meadowbrook Parkway. Recommendation: Those coming from the south of NYC should NOT go through the city. Use the Outerbridge or Goethals to Staten Island, then the Verazzano-Narrows to LI. Directions: http://goo.gl/maps/3MC0c
- Registration is from 7:30 to 8:30 AM, with the first round starting at 8:45 AM. The last game should end around 7:00 PM.

Register by posting here, email to bronigel (at) kellenberg (dot) org or fill out and send the Registration form below. Please include an email address and a cell phone # so that we can contact you. Feel free to email me with any questions.

Field: (# of tms, buzzers,mods,R-Registration received)
As of 11/8/13:
Deer Park, NY (2,1,0)
Great Neck South, NY (3,0,0)
Half Hollow Hills East, NY (2,2,0)
Half Hollow Hills West, NY (2,0,0)
High Tech, NJ (2,2,0)
Horace Greeley, NY (1,0,1)
Hunter College HS, NY (3,1,0)
Irvington, NY (1,2,0)
Jericho, NY (2,0,0,R)
Kings Park, NY (2,2,0)
Livingston, NJ (3,2,1)
Millburn, NJ (2,2,0)
Mountain Lakes, NJ (4,3,1,R)
North Babylon, NY (2,3,1,R)
North Shore, NY (2,0,0)
Pingry, NJ (2,0,0)
Ridgewood, NJ (1,2,1)
St. Joseph, NJ (2,2,1,R)
Seton Hall Prep, NJ (2,5,1)
Valley Stream South, NY (2,3,0)
Vandermeulen, NY (2,0,0)
White Plains, NY (4,2,0)

Totals: 48, 35, 7

Waiting List:
Attachments
LIFT XIII - Registration_2013.doc
Registration Form
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Last edited by BroNi on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:35 am, edited 48 times in total.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Re: LIFT XIII - Kellenberg Mem HS, NY - Nov. 16, 2013 - IS-130

Post by SHP Pirate »

Seton Hall Prep will be there in some capacity. For now, 2 teams, 1 mod, 5-6 buzzers. Paperwork to follow.

- MTZ
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

St. Joe's will be there with 2 teams and 2 buzzer systems. And as Mr. Z stated, paperwork to follow.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

LIFT XIII's field is filled. Any other school who posts, emails or sends in a registration will be put on the waiting list.

Any school that is currently in the field that needs to drop out or reduce the number of teams they are bringing, should contact me (bronigel at kellenberg dot org) as soon as they can.
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

Ridgewood would like to register for 1 team and 2 buzzers.
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

GNS would like to register for 3 teams. We'll send in a registration tomorrow, but what is the likely hood that the field will be expanded? Tighter school policies has made it difficult for our school to register teams early and we would still like to be able to go.

Thanks!
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
urbanpf
Lulu

Post by urbanpf »

Millburn would like to bring two teams & two buzzers - is it possible there
might be additional spots added to the field?
Peter Urban
Coach In Retirement
Millburn High School
Millburn, NJ 07041
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Kellenberg is currently undergoing internal discussions concerning expanding the field of LIFT.
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

If the field is not expanded, teams should consider going to Wilmington Charter's tournament played on IS-130 at our campus in Wilmington, DE. link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14856

It's at most a 2 hour drive to most teams in NJ, and Kellenberg itself is going. Also, we are also hosting a JV division played on an Introductory A-set, so that may be a bonus if any schools have JV teams.
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

We would like to expand the field to 48 teams.

However, we are not going to have the personnel here at Kberg to cover the additional game rooms. So we need a number of outside good, fast and experienced moderators to help out. I already know that St. Joseph, Bergen, Seton Hall, Hunter, N Babylon, and Mountain Lakes have volunteered to moderate.

We would like 3-5 more in order to make this work. Consider some alumni who might be interested in helping. Let me know by email as I would like to make a final decision by the end of this week.

Thank you.
Falcons
Kimahri

Post by Falcons »

Deer Park would like to bring 1 or 2 teams, 2 ideally but 1 would be fine with such the short notice, if possible. I buzzer system and 1 moderator also.
Thank you.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

We will expand the field to 48 teams. I have updated the first post to include most of the schools, but not all of the teams. In some cases I have gotten emails from the same school with contradictory information about the number of teams you are bringing. If you could check and either verify that the updated roster is correct, or not, please send me an email or a PM on this board. Either way contact me so that I know who is aware of the changes and who isn't.

I am still looking for a moderator or two to help out.

Please let me know ASAP if you intend to either drop teams or drop out so that I can bring in some from the waiting list.
jasonziess
Kimahri

Post by jasonziess »

Irvington would like to bring 1 team and 2 buzzer systems.
Jason Ziess
Irvington High School (NY) Class of 2015
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

We got this last evening...

"Congratulations! PACE (the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence) has awarded your tournament, LIFT XIII, platinum certification. This means that the top 25% of teams in your tournament (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for our national high school quiz bowl championship, the PACE NSC on the weekend of May 24-25th at the Hyatt Regency Reston outside of Washington, D.C."
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Very quick results...

1st: High Tech A
2nd: St. Joseph A
3rd: Livingston A
4th: North Babylon A
5th: Horace Greeley
6th: High Tech B

More later.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Prelim stats

Millburn and Mountain Lakes both arrived late. Since we were not sure how late they were going to be, the games were played against no opponent so that they could just walk in and start. Unfortunately they didn't arrive until the middle of the second game. This means that their stats are "off." In retrospect it would have been better if we had entered the first games as forfeits.

Playoff stats will follow later this afternoon. We are very grateful for the assistance of a number of outside coaches and volunteers including Mike Z (Seton Hall), Ed Powers (St. Joseph), Guy Rabner (Livingston), Matt Powers (Ridgewood), Andrew Ibendahl (Mountain Lakes), Erin Casserly (North Babylon), Gerard Furey (Horace Greeley) as well as a number of KMHS alumni. Most especially we would like to thank Jon Pinyan (Bergen Ct. Acad) who came to help even though Bergen Ct. didn't have a team participating!

We played 5 round robin prelim games. Top two teams from each of the 8 brackets were put into two playoff brackets of 8 teams. Another 7 games of round robin. Finally one cross-over game between the top in each bracket, 2nd in each bracket, etc. 13 games in all for the top teams.

Extended final results:
For 1st and 2nd: High Tech A d. St. Joseph A 480 - 250
3rd: Livingston A d. North Babylon A 280 - 275 in one of the most exciting games of the day. North Babylon got the last TU, but could only convert 10 of the bonus and lost by 5 points.
5th: Horace Greeley d. High Tech B 380 - 215
7th: Hunter A d. Pingry A 520 - 120
9th: Ridgewood d. Kings Park A 290 - 240
11th: Hunter B d. GNS B 335 - 130
13th. Seton Hall A d. White Plains A by forfeit
15th: GNS A d. Irvington by forfeit
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Full stats

For the consolation brackets, Hello Kitty had the 3rd place teams from each prelim bracket play a round robin.
The remaining teams were ranked by W-L and PPB and grouped into the remaining brackets in the following order: Papa Smurf, Horton, Shrek and Sonic.
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Congratulations to High Tech for its extremely impressive performance at LIFT---and I am not sure what was more impressive---it's 25.70 PPB, or it's exceptional 122 powers in 13 matches---but both combined are truly impressive. Right now it appears that High Tech is the team to beat in the region, and unless other teams improve significantly, everyone else is probably competing for 2nd place. However, given the competitiveness of the region, it would not surprise me if a team or two did rise to the challenge and offer Tech some excellent competition before the year is out. Hunter, for example, showed this potential in its great match with Tech on Satruday, so, others might as well. But if so, Tech's excellence will inspire others to match it, making all in the region even more dangerous at nationals.

In the meantime, thanks to Brother Nigel and the Kellenberg family for an excellent tournament. To finish 13 rounds by 7 PM, given the delayed start due to traffic problems beyond Kellenberg's control in the morning, was very efficient. So, kudos to all involved and thanks again.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Some stat problems have been brought to my attention, so I have updated the Combined stats on the LIFT XIII page.