Penn Bowl at MIT (October 19, 2013)

Old college threads.
t-bar
Tidus

Penn Bowl at MIT (October 19, 2013)

Post by t-bar »

MIT will be hosting the Northeast mirror of Penn Bowl on Saturday, October 19.

The tournament set will be entirely house-written by the Penn team, so no packet submission is required. See Penn's announcement for more details about the set. In addition, please note that no open teams will be permitted; all players on a team must be enrolled at the same school.

We will be using the same fee structure as the main site:
Base fee: $120 per team
Working buzzer discount: $10 each
Approved moderator discount: $15 each
Travel discount: $15 (more than 200 miles one way according to Google maps)
We can accept payment on the day of the tournament in the form of cash or checks made out to "MIT Quiz Bowl Team".

To register, email me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers (if any), and moderators (if any) you are bringing, as well as a cell phone number at which we can contact you on the day of the tournament. Posts in this thread will be considered expressions of interest, but you must email me the preceding information to be considered officially registered. We'll set a field cap of 16 teams for now, to be expanded upon confirmation of sufficient staff.

Check-in on the morning of the tournament will run from 8:30 to 9:00 AM in room 6-120, which is located on the first floor of MIT's Building 6. Games will start as soon as possible after everyone has arrived, and will take place in the nearby Building 4.

For teams unfamiliar with traveling to Boston, you should know that while MIT is easily accessible by public transit, parking on campus is extremely limited. There is a small parking lot at 139 Massachusetts Avenue (on the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Vassar Street) that several teams have used in the past; other information about parking is available here. On public transportation, take the Red Line to the Kendall/MIT stop, which is marked along with building 6 on this map.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
t-bar
Tidus

Re: Penn Bowl at MIT (October 19, 2013)

Post by t-bar »

Boston College (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Brown (1 team)
Dartmouth (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Harvard (3 teams, 6 buzzers)
MIT (1 team)
Northeastern (1 team)
Rochester (1 team, 1 buzzer)
UMass Amherst (1 team)
Wellesley (1 team)
Wesleyan (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Yale (3 teams, 2 buzzers)

TOTAL: 16 teams, 12 buzzers
Last edited by t-bar on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Stephen Eltinge
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

This is coming up in three weeks, and I have yet to receive a single registration. Michigan Fall at Brown filled up over the course of a day or two, so you definitely want to get your registration in sooner rather than later.
Stephen Eltinge
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

t-bar wrote:This is coming up in three weeks, and I have yet to receive a single registration. Michigan Fall at Brown filled up over the course of a day or two, so you definitely want to get your registration in sooner rather than later.
Amherst will probably send 1 team, but I can't absolutely confirm anything yet.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

With the registration of Wesleyan, we have reached our field cap of 16 teams. Teams that register from now on will be placed on a waitlist. I'll see if we can recruit enough staff to expand the field, but no promises yet.

UPDATE: Amherst has dropped out, so our field is once again open.
Stephen Eltinge
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

We're back at 16 teams, so the field is once again full. I haven't gotten much interest in expanding the field; if anyone else wants in, the earlier you speak up the more likely it is I'll be able to find the staff to let you in.
Stephen Eltinge
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Dartmouth C has dropped out, so we have one open spot in the field. Email me soon if you want to claim it!

EDIT: Northeastern has claimed the spot.

EDIT: Wesleyan B has also dropped out, so we once again have a free spot.
Stephen Eltinge
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Stats at lunch: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ounds_1-5/. Boston College has left, so the remainder of their games will be forfeits.

EDIT: Full prelim stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/. The ties were broken on half-packets, with the results (1. Wellesley, 2. Harvard C, 3. Dartmouth B) and (1. Harvard B, 2. UMass, 3. Yale B). The top four teams from each bracket will cross over, while the bottom teams (minus Boston College) will do the same.
Stephen Eltinge
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Yale A beat Harvard A in the second game of an advantaged final 280-270 on the last question, winning both the overall and undergraduate trophies. MIT finished third and was the top DII team. Playoff stats will be up later tonight.
Stephen Eltinge
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

BC, you're like 6 miles away. Pretty sure you didn't need to leave after three rounds.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:BC, you're like 6 miles away. Pretty sure you didn't need to leave after three rounds.
Especially considering they'd already played their three toughest opponents.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

I just want to thank MIT for hosting a great event, Yale A for an excellent final three matches, and to everyone who played. I do have some things to say about the set, though I'll do so when I have time. Also props to Matt Jackson for that 10/1/0 statline against Brown. Like damn.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Combined statistics (not including half-packet tiebreakers): http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/.
Stephen Eltinge
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

t-bar wrote:Yale A beat Harvard A in the second game of an advantaged final 280-270 on the last question, winning both the overall and undergraduate trophies. MIT finished third and was the top DII team. Playoff stats will be up later tonight.
For what definition of DII here is a team featuring Neil Gurram eligible?
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

MLafer wrote:
t-bar wrote:Yale A beat Harvard A in the second game of an advantaged final 280-270 on the last question, winning both the overall and undergraduate trophies. MIT finished third and was the top DII team. Playoff stats will be up later tonight.
For what definition of DII here is a team featuring Neil Gurram eligible?
He has not played ACF Nationals:
http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/official-acf-rules/ wrote:12. For collegiate tournaments that recognize high-finishing teams and/or individuals of “Division II” status, a “Division II” player is:
12.1. At ACF Fall and Regionals, and any other collegiate tournament except ACF Nationals, any player who meets the definition of “undergraduate” and has never played ACF Nationals
Stephen Eltinge
hanbarasu95
Lulu

Post by hanbarasu95 »

I also want to thank MIT for hosting a great tournament and for all the other teams who made this tournament so much fun! It was our first tournament both as a club, and a school, and we all had lots of fun playing against you guys!
Hari Anbarasu
------------------------
Sharon High School
Class of 2013
------------------------
Northeastern University
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

I just want to point out that the stats say we lost 280-220. It seems like 50 points of bonuses are missing since our bonus conversion for that round is a lot lower than our bonus conversions for all the other rounds?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

gyre and gimble wrote:
I just want to point out that the stats say we lost 280-220. It seems like 50 points of bonuses are missing since our bonus conversion for that round is a lot lower than our bonus conversions for all the other rounds?
I think Stephen is right about this. If you get a chance within the next few days, correcting their score would be great.

Thanks for running this tournament - that was certainly one of the wildest finals experiences I've been a part of, and the preceding day was fun too. In the future it might be good to think about ways to keep the length of rounds down across rooms - some rooms were pushing 45+ minutes every round, which meant the bottom bracket got out around 7 PM from an 11 round schedule - but that shouldn't take too much alteration. I've found that the best way to keep overall tournament speed going is to tell moderators in the week before the tournament that they should aim for finishing each round in 30 minutes, and/or have the control room encourage them to keep things moving with each scoresheet submitted if they're running behind. Insofar as teams are talkative between questions or moderators are giving >5 seconds to answer or staffers allow dead time between questions, those are things to avoid as well.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

The stat corrections I have received have been fixed. Please let me know if you find any more corrections.
Stephen Eltinge