West Virginia 2013-14

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mithokie
Rikku

West Virginia 2013-14

Post by mithokie »

Blacksburg HS is hosting the Blacksburg High Academic Invitational II on Saturday 10/19/13. Blacksburg is a close drive, particularly for teams in Southeast West Virginia. The tournament will be held on NAQT question set IS-127A. More info can be found at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14705 .
Additionally, if you would like to be added to our contact list for future tournaments, please send an e-mail to me: [email protected], and I will add you to my contact list.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: West Virginia 2013-14

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Matt, I am with George Washington High School's team from Charleston, WV, and we are definitely interested in bringing a team to compete. We will have to discuss it with our school to make sure the funding is approved and that there is nothing conflicting, but either myself or our coach should be able to contact you in the next week or two with an official answer. We are looking to compete at as many strong tournaments as possible this year, so I hope we will be able to make it to yours. Also, just in case your team is looking for a great early season tournament to attend on the weekend of 9/28, there will be a tournament at the University of Charleston using IS-129A that should promise solid competition from a mixture of great teams from all around the Mid-Atlantic region.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The rest of the schedule in West Virginia as I know it.

Oct. 12: University HS (Morgantown, WV)
Nov. 9: Nitro HS (Nitro, WV; 20 minutes outside of Charleston)
Dec. 7: Brooke HS (Wellsburg, WV, in the northern panhandle)
March 22: Bridgeport HS (Bridgeport, WV; just outside Clarksburg, about 40 minutes south of Morgantown)
March 29: State tournament at Ohio Valley University (Vienna, WV; this is Parkersburg in everything but name)

A lot or all of these are going to be the West Virginia format of ten tossups without powers or bonuses, four tossups without powers but with bonuses, a 15 question worksheet, and then ten tossups with powers but no bonuses.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
SHM
Lulu

Post by SHM »

Fred,
The University of Charleston is hosting an NAQT Tournament on Saturday, September 28th. They are providing 10 rounds of play for all teams and starting at 9:30 to accommodate those who need to drive into Charleston that morning. Cost is $50 but has discounts of $5 for buzzer and $5 for volunteer.
Susan, Dunbar
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

George Washington (WV) won the University High Tournament yesterday in Morgantown, WV, defeating Olmstead Falls (OH) in the Championship match 190-70. Winchester Thurston (PA) finished in 3rd, and Bridgeport (WV) was 4th. The other four playoff teams were Parkersburg (WV), Southern Fulton (PA), Charleston Catholic (WV), and Ripley (WV).
Ryan Humphrey
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

What tourney format did University use?
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

The format was 20 Questions per round, with no worksheet and neither powers nor negs.
Tossups 1-15 were worth 10 points each and they had no bonuses attached.
Tossups 16-20 were worth 10 points each and they had standard 3-part bonuses attached without the chance for bounce-back.

As for the tournament's structure, the morning rounds consisted of six round robin matches, followed by an eight-team playoff in the afternoon with rankings based on total points amassed during the morning rounds.
Ryan Humphrey
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

So you can theoretically be the team that gets the first buzz (as well as the points) on fifteen tossups, but if you neg up or get beat on the other five then you could lose?

edit after Fred's post : shoulda clarified negs as in "misses"
Last edited by Sniper, No Sniping! on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Mr. Scogan wrote:So you can theoretically be the team that gets the first buzz (as well as the points) on fifteen tossups, but if you neg up or get beat on the other five then you could lose?
WV usually doesn't use negs, but yeah, I don't like the game format either.
Fred Morlan
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Just to clarify to both of you, those of us at George Washington are also not fans of the West Virginia format. At times, it frustratingly seems as if we are the only ones that see any issue with it, so its refreshing to see others with this shared opinion. The format definitely places far too much emphasis on a select few questions, and this unfortunately creates some less-than-desired results. The local format is one of the main reasons why GW will be competing so frequently at out of state tournaments this upcoming season.
Ryan Humphrey
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

WV Fall History Bee and Bowl just got rescheduled to Martin Luther King Day (Monday, January 20) as it was going to be icy this Saturday. It's still at Parkersburg High School - anyone who wasn't originally signed up can still do so at www.historybowl.com/registration. We're also running B Set at Nitro HS on Saturday, Feb. 22.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

With Ripley’s tournament this past weekend, West Virginia finally had its first in-state quiz bowl tournament of 2014. The morning-round format was 10 tossups without bonus, a worksheet, and ten tossups with bonus. The afternoon rounds dropped the worksheet and switched the format to 20/20. As for the results, George Washington’s two-man A team finished in first going 7-0, Bridgeport A finished in second going 6-1, and I’m not sure how the 3/4 playoff game finished, but the two teams involved were Bridgeport B and Ravenswood A. Lastly, considering the number of times this tournament was rescheduled due to snow storms and the January water crisis, I just wanted to extend to extra thanks to Ripley for hosting a very well-run tournament.
Ryan Humphrey
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Any chance they're doing stats?
Fred Morlan
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

Just a reminder that Virginia Tech's mirror of Prison Bowl is happening on April 12th!

More information found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15499&hilit=Spring+ ... ginia+Tech
Brian Mongilio
Virginia Tech '16, Treasurer 2011-Present
Parkersburg South (WV) '11
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The University of Kentucky will be hosting our Fall Championship on November 22nd, 2014.
Fred Morlan
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

It's my hope the GW team gets their rightful praise and publicity for them doing as well as they did in Chicago. The WV state quiz bowl page mentions nothing of it, and considering the state of WV quiz bowl, I'd say it's a pretty big deal and really awesome how well my friends at GW did. Hopefully it doesn't go unnoticed in the Charleston area or in the WV quiz bowl circuit next year. Having played in WV before, I always got the impression that "nationals" was something many teams would (or could) only dream of, and considering Parkersburg High's Chip success, you'd hope the good quiz bowl authority in the Mountaineer state would spread the word and help encourage the credence of the tournament and value of playing to your potential (and getting better).
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Thanks, Tom! I'm actually working on writing up something to give to the Charleston newspapers right now, so hopefully that will help spread the word locally about our finishes at all three nationals (particularly HSNCT and NHBB). As for the state website, I'm not exactly sure who is running that anymore, but the front page is also missing our finish as state champions and the site is missing other in-state-tournament results as well. It would be nice though to see our finish listed somewhere on the main page, not only as an acknowledgement of our team, but also to serve as a motivating factor for more West Virginia teams to follow through with their seasons after NAQT States.
Ryan Humphrey