Favorite Books or Other Works of Literature?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
blizzard
Lulu

Favorite Books or Other Works of Literature?

Post by blizzard »

So I really like reading books (mostly fiction), especially when it gets me points (seriously there's no better feeling than getting a toss up on a book you've read and really enjoyed), and I am always looking for new books to read. Ironically, now that the summer is almost over, I will have more time to read and would gladly take any suggestions from people about favorite authors, etc. Thanks in advance!
Sam
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: Favorite Books or Other Works of Literature?

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I find that I really like Magical Realism. Probably the best book of the genre I've read recently is Kiss of the Spider Woman by Manuel Puig (although I;ve liked everything in the genre I have read).
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Bolano Bolano Bolano Bolano Bolano Bolano.

(Savage Detectives).
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

I'm struggling a bit to come up with something that won't turn this thread into "name all the quizbowl-relevant books you've read." But, I will agree that if you're a high schooler with some free time, most Latin American magical realist* novels are a pretty good route to go. Garcia Marquez's collected short stories are another good place to start; I still like those better than his novels because he's really amazing at capturing the sights, sounds, and scents of a single moment, but doesn't always have a good sense of how many pages of sexual depravity is too many. You're also likely enough to be assigned One Hundred Years of Solitude at some point in a class, but would probably only read one of the stories if any; better to get a different perspective in your pleasure reading.

*Kiss of the Spider Woman isn't really magical realist, fwiw, but who's counting.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

As long as this is "name your favorite South American fiction" I'll plug Borges for being awesome and all that.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I just read, and rather enjoyed, this collection of essays by Dwight Macdonald, and I'm currently working through this excellent collection of criticism by Elizabeth Hardwick. Please read them and write dozens of questions about them.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

My reading habits have long since fallen by the wayside, but I was horrified and thrilled by Camilo Jose Cela's The Family of Pascual Duarte when I made my way through it four years ago. I have also done a read-through or two of this gem.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Banana Stand
Wakka

Post by Banana Stand »

Bret Easton Ellis is probably my favorite author that I haven't come across in quizbowl yet, although he probably has come up a bit at higher levels. Less Than Zero and American Psycho are both personal favorites of mine, and I can see why they would never be asked about at a high school tournament.
Jack Mehr
St. Joe's NJ '14
UVA '19
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Banana Stand wrote:Bret Easton Ellis is probably my favorite author that I haven't come across in quizbowl yet, although he probably has come up a bit at higher levels.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/cult ... it_.2.html
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Kenneth Widmerpool wrote:My reading habits have long since fallen by the wayside, but I was horrified and thrilled by Camilo Jose Cela's The Family of Pascual Duarte when I made my way through it four years ago. I have also done a read-through or two of this gem.
Oh cool, I just started reading Pascual Duarte last night.
Last edited by Rufous-capped Thornbill on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

It's really good that you're committing to pleasure-reading, even during the school semester. Were that habit not deeply ingrained in me too, I would have suffered significant drop-off once I transitioned from being an English major in college to being a grad student in a non-literature subject; luckily, forming that habit early has kept me reading fiction.

When I was in high school, I tried to structure my pleasure-reading to fill in the inevitable gaps in the English syllabus I was assigned that year. So, let's say it was American Literature that year: I would then research different conceptions of the "canon" of American Literature to see what major authors were being omitted, and I would try to read them around the same time, so that my school-reading and pleasure-reading were mutually enriching.

The biggest obstacle to pleasure-reading is being stuck in the middle of a book when a wave of real-life obligations suddenly sweeps in and washes away your free time. Sometimes, this leads to your never finishing the book that you started. The way I avoid this is by always keeping at hand a selection of works of different lengths (longer novels, shorter novels, plays, short stories, etc.), so that when I want to start reading something, I can assess how much time I'm going to have in the near future, and I can then pick a book that matches that length of time. This way, I rarely get trapped by starting a book I can't finish.

I've been mainly discussing habits rather than recommending particular books. This is because most of the novels I've loved require a lot of time and energy to read, and I'd feel bad recommending a book you might invest lots of time in and still end up disliking. The richest and most meaningful shorter novels I've read are probably Howard's End by E.M. Forster and Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. Of the authors of longer works that I love, two of them, Henry James and Leo Tolstoy, wrote tons of very good shorter fiction that will give you a taste of their styles. If you enjoy these and feel ready to commit to their longer works, I then highly recommend Anna Karenina and The Portrait of a Lady, two of the finest novels I've ever read.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Given Mattbo's caution about turning this into a "name works in qb" thread, I read Atwood, Saramago, and Murakami because I learned about them in quizbowl and I ended up really liking them. There's also the added benefit that high school curricula tend to cover world lit much less than British/American.

As for American lit, I really loved Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West, and George Saunders's Tenth of December, which came out last year.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote: This is because most of the novels I've loved require a lot of time and energy to read, and I'd feel bad recommending a book you might invest lots of time in and still end up disliking.
Yeah, this is why I didn't recommend Proust...
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man
Lulu

Post by The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man »

If you love South America as much as the people in this thread seem to, Cueto's The Blue Hour is an excellent book you probably won't learn about through quiz bowl.
Alex Gerten
Wisconsin '12
Columbia '16
Chimango Caracara
Wakka

Post by Chimango Caracara »

I enjoyed The Fish Can Sing and was disappointed to learn that there probably won't be tossups on it forthcoming. I also recommend John Cheever's short stories, "Goodbye, My Brother" in particular.

I guess my South American plug will be for Vargas Llosa's The Storyteller.
Nick Jensen
UC Davis Microbiology Graduate Group 2017-2022
Dartmouth College 2011-2015
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Laszlo Krasznahorkai's works (including his films) are really good.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold is a book written in beautiful language that rightly stands at the cornerstone of the modern conservation movement. It comes up in quiz bowl once in a while.

I like T. S. Eliot's plays (like Murder in the Cathedral or The Cocktail Party) better than his poetry.

I normally look down on pop-science, but the collections of essays Lewis Thomas wrote for the New England Journal of Medicine, like Lives of a Cell and Late Night Thoughts on Listening to Mahler's Ninth Symphony, are excellent.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Virginia Woolf's Jacob's Room is every bit as good as To the Lighthouse
Last edited by Muriel Axon on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

I'll add some more praise for the Latin American authors. Borges and Garcia Marquez have written some of my favorite pieces of literature (Borges being a short story writer is especially nice if you have a busy schedule). Also Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried is exceptionally good.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I usually find that I get more helpful reading suggestions from people when they have some sense of what I've read before, in what context, whether I liked it, what my typical tastes and favorites are, etc. Are there any pointers you could give, Sam, on specific reading experiences you liked or genres/times/places you're looking to break into for the first time (e.g. do you actually enjoy "magical realism" / fantastical elements in your literature or prefer more realistic fare, etc.)? I'm barely literate compared to someone like John, but that may help guide the suggestions you get from the crowd.
Muriel Axon wrote:plays
Yes, plays! I've found that most of the literary discussions I've had tend to focus largely on novels/short stories and undersell drama, which I find unnerving as someone who does theater. It's important to make sure the conversation doesn't get pigeonholed.
It's hard for me to tell what you will like personally, but my favorite playwrights are those who can showcase many different strengths and levels of focus at once (i.e. they can craft complex characters/interpersonal relationships, interesting settings, preferably some bombastic scenery, and bigger themes about humanity as a whole without seeming ham-handed). Plays with multiple layers of focus tend to appeal to lots of different people regardless of the things they tend to focus on while reading; a person who only sees plays in terms of character-relationships will still get a lot out of it, but they'll like it for different reasons than a guy who just LOVES bombastic scenery. I'm sure you've read some Shakespeare at this point - read more. (My favorites are Macbeth, King Lear, and Measure for Measure; remind me to go back and reread The Tempest and Antony and Cleopatra). Henrik Ibsen and George Bernard Shaw also offer a lot to many different kinds of reader/viewer (though Ibsen in particular tends to be short on the bombasticity). Two contemporary plays which do a great job of merging epic/archetypal themes and real-seeming characters without breaking under their own weight are Peter Shaffer's Amadeus (also the basis for a less-good film) and Tony Kushner's magnificent Angels in America.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

RyuAqua wrote:
Muriel Axon wrote:plays
Tony Kushner's magnificent Angels in America.
Seconding Angels in America. Another modern American play that I enjoyed immensely was Oleanna by David Mamet. It's nowhere near as grandiose as Angels, but the intensity it reaches for a two-character play is astounding.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Good modern playwright is David Ives; All in the Timing was one of the best collections of plays I've read in recent memory. A bunch of other modern playwrights really appeal to me as well, like Tom Stoppard and Samuel Beckett and Harold Pinter. In terms of novels, Madame Bovary is very good, as is basically anything by Nabokov.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

At lot has already been said about them, but I'll chime in that Borges and Marquez are at the top of my list.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

I'll also throw my two cents in for Borges, but I've always enjoyed darker fiction for novels whether it be Gothic or anything 20th/21st century. Rebecca stands alone as my favorite novel, but two more recent works I particularly enjoy are Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections and Richard Russo's Empire Falls. Oddly enough, Frankenstein also would make my top 10.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
hydrocephalitic listlessness
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by hydrocephalitic listlessness »

UlyssesInvictus wrote:Given Mattbo's caution about turning this into a "name works in qb" thread, I read Atwood, Saramago, and Murakami because I learned about them in quizbowl and I ended up really liking them. There's also the added benefit that high school curricula tend to cover world lit much less than British/American.
Seconding this. As for specific works, for Saramago I especially liked The History of the Siege of Lisbon, Blindness, and The Double, and for Murakami, A Wild Sheep Chase and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, as well as pretty much all of his short fiction.

As others have said, Garcia Marquez's short stories are great--Strange Pilgrims is probably my favorite collection of his.

In terms of American authors, I'll throw in a good word for Cormac McCarthy. My favorites of his are No Country for Old Men, Outer Dark, and if you're feeling especially adventurous, Blood Meridian.

Also, pretty much any non-Catcher Salinger: Nine Stories, Franny and Zooey, Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters, etc.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
samus149
Wakka

Post by samus149 »

You may have already read it, but Catch-22 by Joseph Heller is my all time favorite non-Star Wars book. Also great is Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (both the book and the movie).

If you're looking just for something fun to read, you can't go wrong with anything by Ian Fleming or John le Carre.
Sean M.
HTHS '14
Cornell University '18
UCSB '23

The opinions presented in this user's posts have not been approved by HTHS Quizbowl Team. Viewer discretion is advised. - Patrick LeBlanc, Captain
blizzard
Lulu

Post by blizzard »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:It's really good that you're committing to pleasure-reading, even during the school semester. Were that habit not deeply ingrained in me too, I would have suffered significant drop-off once I transitioned from being an English major in college to being a grad student in a non-literature subject; luckily, forming that habit early has kept me reading fiction.

When I was in high school, I tried to structure my pleasure-reading to fill in the inevitable gaps in the English syllabus I was assigned that year. So, let's say it was American Literature that year: I would then research different conceptions of the "canon" of American Literature to see what major authors were being omitted, and I would try to read them around the same time, so that my school-reading and pleasure-reading were mutually enriching.

The biggest obstacle to pleasure-reading is being stuck in the middle of a book when a wave of real-life obligations suddenly sweeps in and washes away your free time. Sometimes, this leads to your never finishing the book that you started. The way I avoid this is by always keeping at hand a selection of works of different lengths (longer novels, shorter novels, plays, short stories, etc.), so that when I want to start reading something, I can assess how much time I'm going to have in the near future, and I can then pick a book that matches that length of time. This way, I rarely get trapped by starting a book I can't finish.

I've been mainly discussing habits rather than recommending particular books. This is because most of the novels I've loved require a lot of time and energy to read, and I'd feel bad recommending a book you might invest lots of time in and still end up disliking. The richest and most meaningful shorter novels I've read are probably Howard's End by E.M. Forster and Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. Of the authors of longer works that I love, two of them, Henry James and Leo Tolstoy, wrote tons of very good shorter fiction that will give you a taste of their styles. If you enjoy these and feel ready to commit to their longer works, I then highly recommend Anna Karenina and The Portrait of a Lady, two of the finest novels I've ever read.
Thanks for this. Due to being really busy year-round, finding time to read is very difficult, so I really appreciate the tips.
RyuAqua wrote:I usually find that I get more helpful reading suggestions from people when they have some sense of what I've read before, in what context, whether I liked it, what my typical tastes and favorites are, etc. Are there any pointers you could give, Sam, on specific reading experiences you liked or genres/times/places you're looking to break into for the first time (e.g. do you actually enjoy "magical realism" / fantastical elements in your literature or prefer more realistic fare, etc.)? I'm barely literate compared to someone like John, but that may help guide the suggestions you get from the crowd.
My reading habits are very scattered; I haven't really focused on one region or genre, so whatever piques my interest ends up as what I read next. However, I do prefer novels and short stories to poetry and plays. Also, I am very interested in world literature, I guess because I like the new settings and experiencing a country through its literature.

I have read some South American works (Love in the Time of Cholera, One Hundred Years of Solitude, and The House of the Spirits) and I am definitely interested in other authors from there, including Bolano and Borges.

Some of my favorite things I have read:

1. Jhumpa Lahiri. By far my favorite author, I liked the perspective of immigrant experiences being juxtaposed with life in the country they are emigrating from that was found in Interpreter of Maladies, and her other two works were just as incredibly amazing.

2. The Thing Around Your Neck- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I found this to be in the same vein as Interpreter of Maladies, and really loved it. I will definitely be reading her other works.

3. One Hundred Years of Solitude- Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I really liked this, and I am interested in Garcia Marquez's short stories and works like Chronicle of a Death Foretold, though I thought Love in the Time of Cholera was a lot weaker than One Hundred Years of Solitude.

4. Margaret Atwood. I have read The Handmaid's Tale, Oryx and Crake, and The Year of the Flood and really liked all of them.

5. Other books I have enjoyed are The Joy Luck Club, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Life of Pi, The Poisonwood Bible, and Runaway by Alice Munro.
Sam
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

I have to assume you like/will like Rushdie.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Chimango Caracara
Wakka

Post by Chimango Caracara »

In the light of the other books you've liked, I recommend Zadie Smith and Edwidge Danticat. You might also enjoy The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love, which is about the immigrant experience in a bit of a different way.
Nick Jensen
UC Davis Microbiology Graduate Group 2017-2022
Dartmouth College 2011-2015
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Chimango Caracara wrote:Edwidge Danticat
She's the hero high school quizbowl deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
geowzrd
Lulu

Post by geowzrd »

I've always perfered nonfiction for some reason. Some of my Favorites include Lies My Teacher Told Me, Freakanomics,An Incomplete Education, and T. Hary William's biography of Huey Long.
Christopher Miller
Woodgrove '13
William and Mary '17
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Chimango Caracara wrote:In the light of the other books you've liked, I recommend Zadie Smith and Edwidge Danticat. You might also enjoy The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love, which is about the immigrant experience in a bit of a different way.
Monica Ali and Dinaw Mengestu are also fantastic writers of immigrant literature.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine