ACF discount policy and high school teams

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

ACF discount policy and high school teams

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Split from the ACF Fall Truman State announcement. --Mgmt.
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:A Note Regarding High School Teams
There will be no further discounts for things like playing short-handed or being new to ACF or quizbowl, which applies only to new college teams.
Will ACF guidelines be amended to reflect this? It seems rather harsh on high school teams to deny them any shorthanded team discounts, considering that any college team is eligible for them if they meet the requirements and that high schools are still subject to all packet submission requirements, discounts, and penalties.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Re: ACF Fall 2013-Missouri site @ Truman State (Nov. 2, 2013)

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Christ, I Know wrote:
There will be no further discounts for things like playing short-handed or being new to ACF or quizbowl, which applies only to new college teams.
Will ACF guidelines be amended to reflect this? It seems rather harsh on high school teams to deny them any shorthanded team discounts, considering that any college team is eligible for them if they meet the requirements and that high schools are still subject to all packet submission requirements, discounts, and penalties.
Yeah, what exactly is the reasoning behind this being in place anyway? I guess I understand the need to appeal to college teams instead of high schoolers to play ACF Fall, but wouldn't incentivizing good high school teams to play ACF Fall be a good idea as well?
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Re: ACF discount policy and high school teams

Post by gyre and gimble »

I might have misunderstood something when I included that in my post, so when I get clarification I'll post in this thread to let everyone know.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Einhard wrote:
Christ, I Know wrote:
Yeah, what exactly is the reasoning behind this being in place anyway? I guess I understand the need to appeal to college teams instead of high schoolers to play ACF Fall, but wouldn't incentivizing good high school teams to play ACF Fall be a good idea as well?
I'm not speaking on behalf of ACF, but ACF policy towards high school teams makes more sense if you understand the following things:

(1) ACF Fall is the first tournament that most new college players play, and thus is critical in introducing new college players to good quizbowl and getting them in the habit of writing packets, attending tournaments, etc;
(2) Space at ACF Fall, like space at all tournaments, is limited;
(3) High school teams likely to sign up for college tournaments such as ACF Fall are likely to be high school teams that are already engaged in the circuit;
(4) In the late 2000's, there were a few incidents where college teams were shut out of playing ACF Fall because a lot of good local high school teams signed up for the tournament.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:
Einhard wrote:
Christ, I Know wrote:
I'm not speaking on behalf of ACF, but ACF policy towards high school teams makes more sense if you understand the following things:

(1) ACF Fall is the first tournament that most new college players play, and thus is critical in introducing new college players to good quizbowl and getting them in the habit of writing packets, attending tournaments, etc;
(2) Space at ACF Fall, like space at all tournaments, is limited;
(3) High school teams likely to sign up for college tournaments such as ACF Fall are likely to be high school teams that are already engaged in the circuit;
(4) In the late 2000's, there were a few incidents where college teams were shut out of playing ACF Fall because a lot of good local high school teams signed up for the tournament.
I still don't exactly understand. Is it a supply and demand thing? It seems like (2) and (4) could be remedied by giving priority to college teams. I don't understand the point of (3), either, because good teams should not be unnecessarily disincentivized from playing good tournaments. There are plenty of "good" college teams that play ACF Fall as well, so if you're arguing that new teams would be thrashed by teams of experienced players, that would happen on the college level, too. Are you saying that being beaten by a good high school team is disheartening for a new college team? Then I don't know what to tell them. Does being "engaged in the circuit" mean they should be precluded from taking on new challenges that test their skills more than the repertoire of regular tournaments throughout the year? Also, the shorthanded discount is meant to ease the financial burden faced by shorthanded teams in splitting the relatively high costs associated with college tournaments. If we want to preclude the problem of having too many high school teams, we should tell them straight that they might get dropped from the field instead of making it only accessible to the rich.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
kayli
Auron

Re: ACF discount policy and high school teams

Post by kayli »

"No Quizbowler Left Behind"
Kay, Chicago.