2012-13 NAQT IS set discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2012-13 NAQT IS set discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT's 2012-13 Invitational Series sets are now open for discussion:

IS #117A
IS #118
IS #119A
IS #120
IS #121A
IS #122
IS #123A
IS #124
IS #125A
IS #126
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Re: 2012-13 NAQT IS set discussion

Post by pajaro bobo »

Can I see that common-link lit question on "cook" from IS-118? I vaguely remember buzzing in early and saying "maid" and some arguments over whether or not that should have been acceptable.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Can I see that tossup on "geometric constructions"? It was in the pyramidal part of the MSHSAA state questions, so I think it was from an IS-set.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Important Bird Area

IS #118 round 9 wrote:This was Ethel Rogers' job in Agatha Christie's ~And Then There Were None~, and it was also the job of Kate Bridges on ~Upstairs, Downstairs~ and of Mrs. Patmore on ~Downton Abbey~. It's the job of Mammy in ~Uncle Tom's Cabin~ and (*) Calpurnia in ~To Kill a Mockingbird~, and it's the job Long John Silver is hired to do in ~Treasure Island~. For 10 points--name this job also done by SpongeBob SquarePants at the Krusty Krab restaurant.

answer: _cook_ (accept _chef_)
(note that this is actually a pop culture question, as the giveaway indicates)
MSHSAA states round 2 and Illinois set B round 4 wrote:Pierre Wantzel used Galois theory to prove some of these problems impossible. Felix Klein wrote a book on these problems, one of whose impossibility follows from pi being transcendental. Gauss proved that the 17-gon was a possible example of these problems that include (*) trisecting an angle, doubling a cube, and squaring a circle. For 10 points--name these problems that seek to draw a figure using only 2 specific tools.

answer: _compass-and-straightedge_ _construction_ problems (accept either underlined portion; accept the tools in the opposite order; accept _compass-and-ruler_ construction problems)
(this was not actually shared with any IS set)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

My memory may be a bit hazy as it's been more than 4 years since I read it, but I definitely remember Calpurnia from To Kill a Mockingbird being explicitly described as more of a maid or housekeeper than a cook.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:My memory may be a bit hazy as it's been more than 4 years since I read it, but I definitely remember Calpurnia from To Kill a Mockingbird being explicitly described as more of a maid or housekeeper than a cook.
And I also sort-of recall Mrs. Rogers from And Then There Were None also being described as doing housekeeper with Mr. Rogers. I buzzed at the Downton Abbey clue (oops, forgot the trash stuff in there), so at that point "maid" would have been wrong, but I feel like the first clue was a little misleading and vague.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'll go ahead and specifically request feedback specifically on my work. I edited almost all of the pop music questions in addition to the ones I wrote. Thanks to all the subject and set editors who surely improved my work.

IS-117A

TU: Jagger, Austen, Juno (film), Pumped Up Kicks, Princess Peach

Bonus: Rowling/Neville/Tales of Beetle the Bard, Rand/Atlas Shrugged/John Galt, Murakami/Japan/Kafka, Journey to the Center of the Earth/Verne/Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Henry the Navigator/Dias/Magellan

IS-118

TU: Antigone, Call Me Maybe, Anthony Davis, Chicago Bears, Iron Man, George Washington (in art), Dark Knight Rises, Orpheus

Bonus: Arafat/polonium/al-Jazeera, Satanic Verses/Rushdie/Midnight's Children, mobiles/Calder/Lobster Trap & Fish Tail

IS-119A

TUs: USA (soccer), Flo Rida

Bonus: da Vinci/Botticelli/Titian, Jesus/Holbein the Younger/Rembrandt, Superman/Luthor/Bizarro, Batman/Joker/Poison Ivy

IS-120

TU: Daedalus, Perseus, Theseus, Hermes, John Wayne, Gangnam Style, Bellerophon, Faulkner

Bonus: Romeo & Juliet/Shakespeare/Benvolio, Great Expectations/Dickens/Boz, Rodin/Gates of Hell/Brancusi, Thisbe/Midsummer Night's Dream/Chaucer, Shaun of the Dead/George Romero/Jesse Eisenberg

IS-121A

TU: Fun

Bonus: Super Mario Galaxy/Wii Sports/Animal Crossing

IS-122

TU: David Bowie, One Direction, Achilles, Golden Fleece, Atalanta, Simon & Garfunkel

Bonus: Little Rock/Arkansas River/Ouachita Mountains, Farewell to Arms/Hemingway/Catherine, Duchamp/Hopper/Kandinsky

IS-123A

TU: Narcissus, gold, Tupac, Statue of Liberty

Bonus: Hannibal/elephant/Scipio

IS-124

TU: Van Halen, Penelope, Trojan Horse, Johnny Cash, Paris, Medea, Hector

Bonus: Desdemona/Othello/Shakespeare, Watteau/fete galante/Rococo, Death of Marat/David/Sabine Women, Epimetheus/Cronus/Deucalion or Pyrrha, Monet/water lilies/Rouen Cathedral

IS-125A

TU: Prof. Layton, Neon Trees, Pegasus, Wizard of Oz, Rihanna, Percy Jackson

Bonus: Hey There Delilah/Plain White Ts/Feist, Styx/Elysian Fields/Tartarus, Drake/Lonely Boy/Luke Bryan, Bettman/NHL/Winter Classic

IS-126

TU: Buffy, Cyrano de Bergerac, Menelaus, Agamemnon, Hercules, Estonia, Final Fantasy

Bonus: Burial of Orgaz/Greco/View of Toledo, Two Gentlemen of Verona/Shakespeare/Romeo and Juliet, DDT/Carson/Muller, cave paintings/Lascaux/Cro-Magnon, Walesa/Poland/Kaczynski, Band/Mumford and Sons/Alabama Shakes, Mona Lisa/da Vinci/Duchamp, Artemis/Atalanta/Daphne, Eiffel/Paris/Chrysler Building
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

May I see the two Chuck Hagel tossups? Also, I would like to see the Colorado, Florida, and Turkey tossups from IS 124. Also, the Libya tossup? (I can't remember which set it came up in.)
Jesse Bennett
University School of Nashville (TN) '14
Vanderbilt University '19
Important Bird Area

IS 124 round 1 wrote:Before turning to politics, this man co-founded Vanguard Cellular in 1984. He told Aaron Miller that the Jewish lobby intimidates many politicians and drew criticism for describing James Hormel as "aggressively gay". In January 2013 Barack Obama (*) nominated him to a post held at the time by Leon Panetta. For 10 points--name this former Nebraska Senator who was nominated as Secretary of Defense.
IS 126 round 2 wrote:This man was criticized for opposing James Hormel's appointment as U.S. ambassador to Luxembourg. In February 2013 reporter Dan Friedman admitted he accidentally provoked a rumor about this man's foreign speaking engagements. A 2006 quote about the "Jewish (*) lobby" intimidating people on Capitol Hill justified a brief filibuster against this former Nebraska senator. For 10 points--name this new Secretary of Defense.
IS 124 round 8 wrote:This state hosted the 2008 Democratic National Convention. In 2010 its voters gave a full Senate term to Michael Bennet, who had been appointed to replace Ken Salazar, and elected John Hickenlooper as governor. In 2012 Hickenlooper told supporters of Amendment (*) 64 not to break out the Cheetos too soon. For 10 points--name this state that, like Washington, decriminalized marijuana in cities such as Denver.
IS 124 round 5 wrote:In this state's 2012 Congressional elections, Todd Long lost to former Congressman Alan Grayson and Patrick Murphy defeated conservative African-American Allen West. Its Senate race saw incumbent Bill Nelson defeat Connie (*) Mack, and it was the last to confirm its 2012 presidential election results. For 10 points--name this Southern state whose electoral votes in 2000 were the subject of Bush v. Gore.
IS 124 round 5 wrote:In September 2012 the "Sledgehammer" trial in this country saw over 300 military officers convicted of plotting a coup against its ruling AKP. Also in 2012, its city of Diyarbakir witnessed government raids against the PKK, a Kurdish group. In 2013 the U.S. began deploying Patriot missiles in this country led by (*) Recep Tayyip Erdogan. For 10 points--name this Muslim country coping with refugees streaming north from Syria.
IS 122 round 6 wrote:This nation's interim leader was a judge in the 1998 HIV trial that condemned five Bulgarian nurses to death. That man, Mustafa Abdul Jalil, served as chairman of this country's National (*) Transitional Council during the civil war that saw fighting in Misrata, Sirte and Tripoli in 2011. For 10 points--name this country where NATO air strikes helped oust Brotherly Leader and Guide Muammar Gaddafi.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Lefty734
Lulu

Post by Lefty734 »

Can I see the Gangnam Style toss-up?
Nick Pinto
Flowery Branch High School '15
"Rappaccini's Daughters"
Important Bird Area

IS 120 round 9 wrote:In this song, the artist brags about drinking coffee "before it even cools down." This song's music video features a child dressed as its performer dancing in a playground sandbox. This song, whose chorus features the call of (*) "ay, sexy lady," shows its artist engaging in a dance off with a man clad in yellow and later dancing in the style of riding a horse. For 10 points--name this pop hit by PSY, a Korean rapper.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

Could you also post the "This American Life" tossup?
Jesse Bennett
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

MSHSAA states round 2 and Illinois set B round 4 wrote:Pierre Wantzel used Galois theory to prove some of these problems impossible. Felix Klein wrote a book on these problems, one of whose impossibility follows from pi being transcendental. Gauss proved that the 17-gon was a possible example of these problems that include (*) trisecting an angle, doubling a cube, and squaring a circle. For 10 points--name these problems that seek to draw a figure using only 2 specific tools.

answer: _compass-and-straightedge_ _construction_ problems (accept either underlined portion; accept the tools in the opposite order; accept _compass-and-ruler_ construction problems)
(this was not actually shared with any IS set)[/quote]

Answers like "three great problems of antiquity" should have been prompted, if not downright accepted, up to like 17-gon or so? I don't know what that Klein thing refers to, but it looks like Wantzel worked on doubling the cube and angle trisection, and pi being transcendental is presumably referring to squaring the circle.
Max
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Mewto55555 wrote:I don't know what that Klein thing refers to
Famous problems of elementary geometry: the duplication of the cube, the trisection of an angle, the quadrature of the circle: an authorized translation of F. Klein's Vorträge is what I had in mind.
Which corroborates your point, yes.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
theflyingdeutschman
Wakka

Post by theflyingdeutschman »

Could i see the Call Me Maybe and Dark Knight Rises tossups?

Thanks.
Sam Deutsch
Richard Montgomery '13
University Of Southern California '17
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Mewto55555 wrote:

Answers like "three great problems of antiquity" should have been prompted, if not downright accepted, up to like 17-gon or so? I don't know what that Klein thing refers to, but it looks like Wantzel worked on doubling the cube and angle trisection, and pi being transcendental is presumably referring to squaring the circle.
I agree with you and have updated the question accordingly. Sorry for any problems my error caused.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

Regarding Fred's Simon & Garfunkel tossup in IS-122: I'm pretty sure every single person on my team got hosed on the "I'm just a poor boy" clue. It sounded a lot like the "I'm just a poor boy I have no family" line from Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen; while the second part of the line from Simon & Garfunkle was different, I think a lot of people probably just buzzed the moment they heard "poor boy". While I don't know if it's appropriate in this instance, I would have really appreciated a clarifying part like "They're not Queen, but...". I still remember this question from back in March, and I just wanted to put my thoughts out there, once and for all.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

One character in this film is told he can't go heliskiing. Cillian [KILL-yun] Murphy plays a judge in this film, and John Blake is told his real first name is "nice." The film ends with the revelation that the (*) autopilot was repaired, surprising Lucius Fox, and then an encounter in Italy with Alfred. For 10 points--name this last film in Christopher Nolan's trilogy starring Christian Bale as Batman.
This song's video features its performer falling off the hood of a car while watching someone work on another car's engine. This song features synthesized strings and the lines "I took no time with the (*) fall, you gave me nothing at all." Its singer makes the title request even though she "just met you and this is crazy." For 10 points--name this song in which Carly Rae Jepsen prefaces the title lyric with "here's my number."
This band used the name {Tom & Jerry} early in their career. This band uses the opening lyric "I am just a poor boy, though my story's seldom told," for their song "The Boxer." One song by this band, which reunited for ~The Concert in Central Park~, proclaims that like the title object, "I will lay me down." Their (*) "Mrs. Robinson" was featured in ~The Graduate~. For 10 points--name this 1960s duo of "Bridge Over Troubled Water."
The first clue on the S&G tossup rules out Queen.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

I really enjoyed the Greco-Roman myth in this year's NAQT sets, in particular the IS-124 bonus that went epimetheus/Cronus/Deucalion. Thanks Fred!

Could I see the Tom Stoppard tossup from IS-120, tossup on David McCullough from IS-124, and tossup on The Kiterunner from IS-126? Thanks!
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote: The first clue on the S&G tossup rules out Queen.
That's true. I'm not concerned with the question's accuracy or anything-- I just I feel like the second sentence could have used a "It's not ____, but..." disclaimer.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Corry wrote:
That's true. I'm not concerned with the question's accuracy or anything-- I just I feel like the second sentence could have used a "It's not ____, but..." disclaimer.
Bohemian Rhapsody did not begin with "I am just a poor boy".
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

huff paste wrote:
Corry wrote:
Bohemian Rhapsody did not begin with "I am just a poor boy".
Also true. The line was part of the introduction to the song, not the actual opening lyric. I just brought this up because it seems like the clue was kind of distracting-- as far as I know, Arcadia A, B, and C all negged on this same clue by guessing "Queen". Unfortunately, I'm not a question writer, so I don't know the standard procedure for including "It's not ____, but..." sort of disclaimers.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Corry wrote:Regarding Fred's Simon & Garfunkel tossup in IS-122: I'm pretty sure every single person on my team got hosed on the "I'm just a poor boy" clue. It sounded a lot like the "I'm just a poor boy I have no family" line from Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen; while the second part of the line from Simon & Garfunkle was different, I think a lot of people probably just buzzed the moment they heard "poor boy". While I don't know if it's appropriate in this instance, I would have really appreciated a clarifying part like "They're not Queen, but...". I still remember this question from back in March, and I just wanted to put my thoughts out there, once and for all.
Queen didn't open the song with "I am just a poor boy," so it also would have been a waste of characters to put in a "They aren't Queen but...." Those go in when the clue as read actually applies to the other possible answer in question. In this case, it doesn't, so you would not put that there. You in no way were "hosed."
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

In general, it's probably not a bad idea to choose clues that don't have the potential to mislead despite being technically correct. That said, though, there's nothing really wrong with that question as written, and even just within that clue, the "opening lyric" phrase especially rules out Queen.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Even if it's not technically incorrect though, why even use that clue? There are many equally good S&G lyrics/songs to choose from. "I'm just a poor boy" is infinitely more recognizable as a Queen lyric, and it doesn't seem optimal to draw people into negging just because they might not have fully parsed the two words "opening lyric." Shared famous lines seem to happen with some frequency in quizbowl, and these technicalities start to get really annoying.
Kay, Chicago.
Important Bird Area

Mr. Scogan wrote:Could I see the Tom Stoppard tossup from IS-120, tossup on David McCullough from IS-124, and tossup on The Kiterunner from IS-126? Thanks!
IS 120 round 5 wrote:In one work by this author, Septimus Hodge writes a letter to Thomasina Coverly about rice pudding. This author of ~Arcadia~ also created the theater critics Moon and Birdboot, who are drawn into an on-stage murder mystery in ~The (*) Real Inspector Hound~. In another of his plays, a coin comes up "heads" 92 times. For 10 points--name this author who wrote about two friends of Hamlet in ~Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead~.
IS 124 round 6 wrote:This man wrote "not all pioneers went west" in a work about American travel to Paris during the 19th century. Besides his 2011 work ~The Greater Journey~, this man also wrote about a dam collapse in ~The Johnstown Flood~, and about the Panama Canal in ~The Path Between the Seas~. He won Pulitzer Prizes for two biographies of (*) presidents, ~Truman~ and ~John Adams~. For 10 points--name this historian who also wrote ~1776~.
IS 126 round 5 wrote:One character in this novel gives a Hitler biography as a birthday gift and is struck in the eye by a slingshot. The protagonist of this novel marries Soraya after moving to California and eventually adopts Sohrab, the son of his half-brother (*) Hassan. That protagonist, Amir, was driven from his homeland after it was invaded by the Soviets. For 10 points--name this novel set in Afghanistan, written by Khaled Hosseini.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

The French New Wave tossup from IS126 please.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
samus149
Wakka

Post by samus149 »

Can I see the tossups on freefall and strong acids from IS-122, chromium from IS-124, and aldehydes from IS-126?
Sean M.
HTHS '14
Cornell University '18
UCSB '23

The opinions presented in this user's posts have not been approved by HTHS Quizbowl Team. Viewer discretion is advised. - Patrick LeBlanc, Captain
SrilankanSwagga
Lulu

Post by SrilankanSwagga »

If you don't mind, could I see that Tupac tossup?
IMSA 2015
Waleed Ali
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Thanks for posting, Jeff. I blew the Tom Stoppard tossup right at "Septimus" with Virginia Woolf (thinking the clue was referring to Mrs. Dalloway, not Stoppard's Arcadia), so I was curious to see if it was a reasonable take or not judging by whether or not the actual text said "work" in place of play.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

That's a terrible plan, seeing as characters named Septimus appear in works by Stoppard, Forster, Woolf, Trollope, Wilkie Collins, Saki, and probably a few more I'm forgetting.
Max
Important Bird Area

IS 126 round 2 wrote:In one work from this movement, a title character watches Catherine drive Jim off a bridge. In another, Patricia betrays Michel, who is shot by the police. Many tenets of this movement originated in the magazine ~Cahiers du Cinema~. The directors of ~The 400 (*) Blows~ and ~Breathless~ were part of--for 10 points--what French film movement of the 1950s and 1960s, whose luminaries included Francois Truffaut and Jean-Luc Godard?

answer: (French) _New Wave_ cinema (or La _nouvelle vague_)
IS 122 round 6 wrote:In general relativity, a point mass experiencing this phenomenon moves along a geodesic. In the thought experiment of Newton's cannonball, the ball always experiences this condition. It is often generalized to include the presence of drag, in which case it eventually results in a body reaching its (*) terminal velocity. A sense of weightlessness accompanies--for 10 points--what condition in which a body feels only gravity?

answer: _free fall_ (accept _free falling_ and other word forms; prompt on "fall"; prompt on "under the influence of gravity only" and similar answers before "gravity")
IS 122 round 4 wrote:PTSA is an anomalous example of this type of substance in that it is both organic and a solid at room temperature. They must have a pKa less than that of hydronium ion. Despite its lethality and ability to dissolve glass, hydrogen fluoride does not qualify as one of these, as it exists in measurable equilibrium with its ions. (*) Sulfuric acid is, however--for 10 points--what type of acid that ionizes completely?

answer: _strong acid_ (prompt on "acid" before "hydronium")
IS 124 round 8 wrote:The oxide of this element is used in Jones' reagent to oxidize alcohols to ketones. Ions of this element are responsible for both the red color of rubies and the green of emeralds. Alloys of steel containing more than about 10 percent of this element by mass are called (*) "stainless." The Greek word for "color" was used to name--for 10 points--what transition metal with atomic symbol Cr?
IS 126 round 2 wrote:This functional group is created from ethylene in the Wacker process, and its disproportionation yields acids and alcohols in the Cannizzarro reaction. A silver mirror is formed in the presence of one in the (*) Tollens test. This functional group features a carbon double bonded to an oxygen and single bonded to hydrogen. For 10 points--name this functional group similar to a ketone, exemplified by methanal.
IS 123A round 7 wrote:The video for this rapper's song "Dear Mama" was produced while he was in prison. One of his hits says its title state "knows how to party" and mentions Compton and (*) Watts. The song "California Love" appears on the ~All Eyez On Me~ album of--for 10 points--what rapper shot in Las Vegas in 1996?

answer: _Tupac_ (Amaru) _Shakur_ (accept either name; accept _2Pac_ or _Makaveli_)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

I hate to bug you, but could you please post the "This American Life" tossup?
Jesse Bennett
Important Bird Area

IS 124 round 1 wrote:A 2012 episode of this show titled "Retraction" detailed the errors in a previous episode about Mike Daisey's trip to an Apple factory in China. This show divided into "acts" typically ends with a joke about WBEZ manager Torey Malatia, and its frequent contributors include Sarah (*) Vowell and David Sedaris. For 10 points--name this weekly public radio show composed of stories about a given theme, and hosted by Ira Glass.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

Could I see the "four" question from IS-122? I think the giveaway was the four horsemen.
Also, can I see the Ireland question and the Ohio question from the same set? Thanks.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
Important Bird Area

IS 122 round 2 wrote:This is the maximum number of symbols needed to encode an English letter in Morse code, and it is the number of faces on a 3-simplex. It is the normal number of incisors or canine teeth and the number of "causes" identified by Aristotle. Buddhism has this many (*) "noble truths," and violins have this many strings. For 10 points--give these number of gas giants in the solar system and of "Horsemen of the Apocalypse."

answer: _four_
IS 122 round 8 wrote:In 2012 this state's supreme court suspended the law license of former attorney general Marc Dann. A federal court cited the Equal Protection clause to require this state to extend early voting. In every presidential election since 1960, this (*) swing state has supported the winner; in 2012 its 18 electoral votes clinched Obama's reelection. For 10 points--name this Rust-Belt state whose capital is Columbus.
IS 122 round 8 wrote:Troops left this island in the Flight of the Wild Geese to fight for Spain and France after losing the Battles of Aughrim and the Boyne. The Drogheda massacre happened during (*) Oliver Cromwell's invasion of this island, which included sieges of Waterford and Galway. Trinity College was a bastion of Protestantism on--for 10 points--what "Emerald Isle"?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

IS 122 round 2 wrote:...It is the normal number of incisors..

Um, aren't there usually 8 incisors?
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

Christ, I Know wrote:

Precisely where I negged.
Could I also see the Carter question and the Kim Jong il question from Is-124? Thanks again.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

Christ, I Know wrote:

Yeah, there are 8 incisors (4 per jaw). I would say the question was a failure to clarify whether it's per jaw or per both jaws, but there are only 2 canines per jaw.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Important Bird Area

EBAcademicTeam wrote: Could I also see the Carter question and the Kim Jong il question from Is-124? Thanks again.
IS 124 round 11 wrote:This man ordered a 1983 bombing in Rangoon, and led the country targeted by the "Sunshine Policy." His teachers included Hwang Jang-yop, who later defected from his country after helping formulate the ideology of "Juche." This leader was given the title of (*) "Eternal General Secretary of the Worker's Party" after being succeeded by his son in December 2011. For 10 points--name this former dictator of North Korea.
IS 124 round 4 wrote:Under this president, Stansfield Turner, the director of the CIA, fired over 800 intelligence agents during the "Halloween Massacre". This president withdrew support from the Somoza regime in Nicaragua, and recognized the People's Republic of China as a legitimate government. Egypt and (*) Israel negotiated the Camp David Accords with--for 10 points--what Democrat who lost his re-election bid in a landslide to Ronald Reagan?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

May I please see the Borneo tossup from IS-126?
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016