2013 HSNCT discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: 2013 HSNCT discussion

Post by Great Bustard »

quizbowllee wrote:My biggest issue on this is that the 10-second bonus parts eat up A LOT of time on the clock, which could potentially swing a game.
Going over to 10 seconds for all three parts would add at most 15 seconds per game. That could be compensated in part by having shorter, less wordy questions (or on average, quicker readers). On that matter, does NAQT keep stats on average # of tossups readers get through? Has this changed over time?
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

"Anglican Communion" shouldn't have been an acceptable alternate answer for "Church of England", and probably "Anglican Church" shouldn't have either. Could we see that tossup again?

The Anglican Communion is a worldwide umbrella group of autocephalous churches, comprising the Church of England and all its spinoffs in other countries. The first such church to become autocephalous but remain in communion with the Church of England was the Episcopal Church in the United States. Each member is an Anglican church; some of these members have Anglican in their official names (e.g. Anglican Church of Canada), but the Church of England doesn't.

A clue that specified the Church of England rather than the Anglican Communion or any other member church was the one about voting not to allow women bishops. The Church of England alone did that lately; there's never been any such vote at the worldwide Anglican Communion level. (The Episcopal Church in the United States of America has had women bishops for decades.)

On the other hand, Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby is both the head of the Church of England and the head (at least symbolically) of the whole Anglican Communion, so in principle it's legit to use that clue for either one.

I think I remember a similar Church of England question coming up at CCCT and being similarly overeager to accept answers with "Anglican" in them.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Developer of WUStL Updates Statistics Live!
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:My biggest issue on this is that the 10-second bonus parts eat up A LOT of time on the clock, which could potentially swing a game.
Going over to 10 seconds for all three parts would add at most 15 seconds per game. That could be compensated in part by having shorter, less wordy questions (or on average, quicker readers). On that matter, does NAQT keep stats on average # of tossups readers get through? Has this changed over time?
There was the clock theory thread last year. According to NAQT's stats, 77.3% of 2012 HSNCT games heard at least 20 tossups; 94.9% heard at least 18 tossups; and 98.8% heard at least 17 tossups.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:

I don't think the extra seconds are a big deal on average, but this begets the situation in which a team loses due to the other team running out the clock on a math comp bonus. I'm personally of the belief that quiz bowl as a whole should avoid situations that could give teams advantages besides the cumulative knowledge of their team. Given that many high-level HSNCT games are closely-fought matches, I can only imagine the irritation of a top-tier team when they lose a match because their opponent used all 30 allowed seconds to sit through the computational math bonus and leave 5 seconds on the clock, two of which are eaten up by the moderator finding their place and the other three getting out the first few words of a tossup that could have given them the chance. It's basically the clock-killing-neg, but dragged out over a long period of time.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

HSNCT round 14 wrote:This artist of Water Snakes depicted a wide-eyed woman wearing a helmet in Pallas Athene. A knight in gold armor and a gorilla-like figure representing Typhon appear in this artist's Beethoven Frieze. This artist's Portrait of (*) Adele Bloch-Bauer I incorporates gold foil, as does a work in which a man and a woman embrace on a flowery hill. For 10 points--name this Vienna Secessionist painter of The Kiss.
HSNCT round 23 wrote:One scandal within this institution was David Hope's failure to report Robert Waddington. Ugandan-born John Sentamu was a candidate for its top position. Its House of Laity blocked a November 2012 plan to allow female bishops, and in April 2013 it refused to bless same-sex marriages. (*) Justin Welby has led it since the resignation of Rowan Williams. For 10 points--name this church led by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

answer: _Church of England_ (accept _Anglican_ Church or _Anglican Communion_)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Southern Double-collared Sunbirb
Lulu

Post by Southern Double-collared Sunbirb »

Could you post the Justin Trudeau bonus? (can't quite remember the round, but probably the one right after lunch on Sunday). Canadian politics is fun, especially for noted lack-of-details people like him.
Maia Karpovich
IMSA (2011-2014)
Oklahoma (2014-2018)
she/they
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 20 wrote:This politician was criticized in 2013 because his chief of staff}\, Nigel Wright, wrote a $90,000 check to help Mike Duffy after the latter was caught making improper living expense claims. For 10 points each--

A. Name this prime minister who was re-elected in 2011 over Jack Layton and Michael Ignatieff.

answer: Stephen (Joseph) _Harper_

B. In May 2013 Stephen Harper visited the United States to encourage the controversial XL extension of this {pipeline} that begins in Canada.

answer: _Keystone_ (accept _Keystone XL_)

C. In April 2013 the Liberal Party of Canada tried to reinvigorate its flagging fortunes by choosing this youthful MP to replace Ignatieff.

answer: Justin (Pierre James) _Trudeau_
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
SrilankanSwagga
Lulu

Post by SrilankanSwagga »

Could I see the Evita Tossup? I forgot which round it was in, but I remember it was in the playoffs.
IMSA 2015
Waleed Ali
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 21 wrote:This politician's tour to "stretch a rainbow of beauty" to Europe may have been a ruse to deposit money in Swiss bank accounts. At a gala to benefit victims of the San Juan earthquake, this star of "Towards a Better Future" on Radio Belgrano met (*) her future husband. The autobiography La Razon de mi Vida describes her work on behalf of the descamisados. For 10 points--name this wife of Argentine president Juan Peron.

answer: _E_va (Duarte de) _Peron_ (or _Evita_ Duarte de Peron; accept Maria Eva _Duarte_; prompt on "Peron")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Lefty734
Lulu

Post by Lefty734 »

Can you post the Boston bomber question?
Nick Pinto
Flowery Branch High School '15
"Rappaccini's Daughters"
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 9 wrote:This aspiring heavyweight claimed to be the best friend of Brendan Mess, but skipped his funeral and is now suspected of his murder. In 2012 this husband of Katherine Russell spent six months in (*) Russia, but his wife would not move to Dagestan. A Virginia cemetery buried this man accused of shooting an MIT police officer. For 10 points--name this older of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, the brother of Dzhokhar.

answer: _T_amerlan (Anzorovich) _Tsarnaev_ (prompt on "Tsarnaev")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Can you post the Ulysees S Grant related battle bonus? I remember the last part of it being kind of vague.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 22 wrote:For 10 points each--name the following about one-sided Civil War battles involving Ulysses S. Grant:

A. Only a handful of Confederate cavalry escaped Grant's demand for "unconditional surrender" of this fort on the Cumberland River just before the Battle of Shiloh.

answer: Battle of Fort _Donelson_

B. Grant trapped John Pemberton's army at the siege of Vicksburg, a fortress city in this state.

answer: _Mississippi_

C. Grant proved less successful at this June 3, 1864 battle, where his troops were unable to push back entrenched Confederates.

answer: Battle of _Cold Harbor_
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

I guess I just didn't remember the date being in the bonus. Thanks!
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Could you post the bonus part that included the Western Schism? I remember not being prompted on "Babylonian Captivity."
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
msbg360
Lulu

Post by msbg360 »

Would it be possible to see the tossup on New Zealand's South Island?
Manu Gargeya
The Early College at Guilford '14
North Carolina State University '18
Important Bird Area

perlnerd666 wrote:Could you post the bonus part that included the Western Schism? I remember not being prompted on "Babylonian Captivity."
HSNCT round 6 wrote:For 10 points each--give the following about antipopes:

A. The first antipope is usually said to be this 3rd-century opponent of Pope Pontian; he was reconciled with the church, however, and eventually canonized.

answer: _Hippolytus_ (of Rome) or _St. Hippolytus_

B. Clement III was an antipope supported by this Holy Roman Emperor, who was forced to do penance at Canossa by Pope Gregory VII.

answer: _Henry IV_ of the Holy Roman Empire (prompt on "Henry")

C. Clement VII became the first antipope created by this dispute that followed Urban VI's return to Rome.

answer: Great _Western Schism_ (or _Papal Schism_; prompt on "Schism" or "Great Schism"; do not accept answers including "Babylonian Captivity")
Note that "followed ... return to Rome" rules out "Babylonian Captivity."
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
perlnerd666 wrote:Could you post the bonus part that included the Western Schism? I remember not being prompted on "Babylonian Captivity."
HSNCT round 6 wrote:For 10 points each--give the following about antipopes:

A. The first antipope is usually said to be this 3rd-century opponent of Pope Pontian; he was reconciled with the church, however, and eventually canonized.

answer: _Hippolytus_ (of Rome) or _St. Hippolytus_

B. Clement III was an antipope supported by this Holy Roman Emperor, who was forced to do penance at Canossa by Pope Gregory VII.

answer: _Henry IV_ of the Holy Roman Empire (prompt on "Henry")

C. Clement VII became the first antipope created by this dispute that followed Urban VI's return to Rome.

answer: Great _Western Schism_ (or _Papal Schism_; prompt on "Schism" or "Great Schism"; do not accept answers including "Babylonian Captivity")
Note that "followed ... return to Rome" rules out "Babylonian Captivity."
Thanks! That explains a lot.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
samus149
Wakka

Post by samus149 »

Could you please post that tossup on alcohols? I think it was in round 13.
Sean M.
HTHS '14
Cornell University '18
UCSB '23

The opinions presented in this user's posts have not been approved by HTHS Quizbowl Team. Viewer discretion is advised. - Patrick LeBlanc, Captain
Important Bird Area

samus149 wrote:Could you please post that tossup on alcohols? I think it was in round 13.
HSNCT round 13 wrote:Allylic examples of these molecules are reactants in the Sharpless epoxidation. An excess of Grignard reagent added to an ester forms one of these molecules. Hydrating alkenes is one of the more common methods of making these molecules, and they can be formed by (*) reducing aldehydes or ketones. For 10 points--name these molecules that contain a hydroxyl group, exemplified by ethanol.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
HSNCT round 23 wrote:One scandal within this institution was David Hope's failure to report Robert Waddington. Ugandan-born John Sentamu was a candidate for its top position. Its House of Laity blocked a November 2012 plan to allow female bishops, and in April 2013 it refused to bless same-sex marriages. (*) Justin Welby has led it since the resignation of Rowan Williams. For 10 points--name this church led by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

answer: _Church of England_ (accept _Anglican_ Church or _Anglican Communion_)
Thanks, Jeff! So, everything in the question could refer either to the Church of England in particular or to the Anglican Communion as a whole, except the whole third sentence (some Anglican churches around the world celebrate same-sex marriages, and there is no policy at the worldwide Anglican Communion level). Meanwhile, "Anglican church" could mean any of several, but the Church of England is not among those with "Anglican Church" in its official name.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Developer of WUStL Updates Statistics Live!
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Could I see the question on Rear Window, I think it was?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 7 wrote:A climactic scene in this work takes the antagonist's viewpoint, interspersed with bright orange screens. Characters in this work include a composer played by Ross Bagdasarian, and the suicidal "Miss Lonelyhearts." A murder committed by Lars Thorwald is confirmed with the help of fashion model Lisa Fremont. (*) Photographer L. B. Jeffries is stuck in a wheelchair in--for 10 points--what Hitchcock film starring Jimmy Stewart?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

pleasewalkforward
Wakka

Post by pleasewalkforward »

If my memory serves me, this set used BC/AD for date nomenclature, as opposed to BCE/CE. I know at least ACF prefers the latter; was this just for HSNCT or a general NAQT style recommendation?
Jacob Lawrence Wasserman
Saint Anselm's Abbey School, '12
Yale University, '16
University of California, Los Angeles, '19
Former Treasurer and Member, Yale Student Academic Competitions
Former Secretary, Staff Recruitment Volunteer, and Member, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Important Bird Area

NAQT's preferred style is BC/AD.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Could I see the Dos Passos tossup?

EDIT: And the Venerable Bede TU as well?
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 12 wrote:Dan Fuselli and the musician John Andrews are two of the three title characters of a 1921 novel by this author. Advertising executive J. Ward Moorehouse and Eleanor Stoddard are among the characters in another work by this man that intersperses (*) "camera eye" sections and newsreels with the narrative. For 10 points--name this author of ~Three Soldiers~ and ~Manhattan Transfer~ who is best known for his ~U.S.A.~ trilogy.

answer: John _Dos Passos_ (accept _Three Soldiers_ before "author")
HSNCT round 18 wrote:Villains in this author's works include Penda, who won a battle on Hatfield Chase. The Synod of Whitby, which resolved the controversy over the Irish observance of Easter, appears in Book III of a work by this resident of Jarrow abbey. Relics of Northumbrian kings worked miracles recorded in his (*) ~Ecclesiastical History of the English People~. For 10 points--what 8th-century historian was a monk known as the "Venerable"?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

msbg360 wrote:Would it be possible to see the tossup on New Zealand's South Island?
Sorry I didn't see this post sooner!
HSNCT round 11 wrote:This island, the scene of the Otago Gold Rush, is separated from Stewart Island by the Foveaux Strait. The name of its most populous city, which lies on Pegasus Bay near the Banks Peninsula, was suggested in 1848 by a former Oxford student. Mount (*) Cook is the highest of this island's Southern Alps. The Cook Strait is north of--for 10 points--what island, the site of Christchurch and the largest of New Zealand?

answer: _South_ Island (do not accept or prompt on "New Zealand")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

The only thing I might suggest on the South Island tossup is changing "the name of its most populous" to "the name of this island's most populous" just to drive in the point in every sentence "WE ARE LOOKING FOR AN ISLAND, DON'T SAY NEW ZEALAND", but again, given that the very first two words of the tossup are "This island", I have minimal sympathy for everyone who negged with "New Zealand".
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

jonpin wrote:The only thing I might suggest on the South Island tossup is changing "the name of its most populous" to "the name of this island's most populous" just to drive in the point in every sentence "WE ARE LOOKING FOR AN ISLAND, DON'T SAY NEW ZEALAND", but again, given that the very first two words of the tossup are "This island", I have minimal sympathy for everyone who negged with "New Zealand".
Given that Christchurch isn't New Zealand's most populous city, it wouldn't be wise to buzz on that clue and say New Zealand even if you had forgotten the entirety of the first sentence.

Anyway, I think the etymology is not anywhere near as simple as this tossup suggests: http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarl ... y-d14.html
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
SrilankanSwagga
Lulu

Izanagi tossup

Post by SrilankanSwagga »

Hello,
Could you please post the Izanami tossup? I forgot which round it was in.
Last edited by SrilankanSwagga on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMSA 2015
Waleed Ali
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 17 wrote:Because she spoke first during the wedding ceremony with her husband, this goddess's first child was born deformed and set adrift. With her husband, she created the first dry land by stirring the ocean with a jeweled spear. She died giving birth to the fire god (*) Kagutsuchi, and her husband was unsuccessful in bringing her back from the land of Yomi. For 10 points--name this Shinto goddess and wife of Izanagi.

answer: _Izanami_ (do not accept "Izanagi")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Mad Lounge Czar
Lulu

Post by Mad Lounge Czar »

If I remember correctly, there was a tossup on Macondo in Round 20; would it be possible to see that question?
Carlo D (formerly SLHS, SJS, TAMU)
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

Capitoline wrote:I would like to praise the writer of the Joe DiMaggio hitting streak tossup; it was a nice change from the typical "this franchise" sports questions. Overall, I thought the set was very well written, and I was pleased with the quality of moderators.
I didn't go to HSNCT, but would it be possible to see this toss up? (As a diehard baseball fan).
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
gustavadolf
Lulu

Post by gustavadolf »

Could I see the chemistry tossup on eliminations? It was in one of the later Sunday rounds, maybe Round 21.
Corin Wagen
Kealing '12
LASA '16
MIT '20
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 5 wrote:In one event in this town, 3,000 protesters are shot and shipped on a train before their deaths are covered up by a banana company. A velocipede is among the possessions of Gaston, who moves here from Belgium. This town is the home of a fortune teller named (*) Pilar Ternera, who conceives children with two of the Buendia brothers. For 10 points--name this setting of ~One Hundred Years of Solitude~.
HSNCT round 14 wrote:This accomplishment dethroned Wee Willie Keeler as the record-holder, while in 2011 Andre Ethier come within 26 of tying it. Kept alive at one point when Johnny Babich threw a 3-0 pitch too close to the plate, it ended on July 17, 1941, due to third baseman Ken (*) Keltner's superb defense. For 10 points--name this achievement in which a New York Yankee went 56 straight games without totally failing at the plate.

answer: Joe _DiMaggio_'s 56-game _hitting streak_ (accept equivalents including _DiMaggio_ and _streak_; prompt on answers including only "DiMaggio" or "(56-game hitting) streak")
HSNCT round 21 wrote:This type of reaction goes through a carbanion intermediate in a "conjugate base" mechanism. One example of this type of reaction, the exhaustive methylation of an amine, is named for Hofmann. When this type of reaction proceeds through a carbocation intermediate, it obeys (*) Zaitsev's rule. For 10 points--name these reactions in which two groups are removed from a molecule, which come in one- and two-step E2 and E1 forms.

answer: _elimination_ reaction (accept _E1cb_ or Hofmann _elimination_; accept _E1_ before "E2")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Olivia7337
Kimahri

Post by Olivia7337 »

Is there somewhere I could find a Video of the matches especially the finals?

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Important Bird Area

Olivia7337 wrote:Can anyone post the History and Literature questions from the 1st few rounds Please. I would also like to know if anyone knows of any video of the games from the tourney
I'm not aware of any source of video from the 2013 HSNCT (official or otherwise).

Do you have specific requests for posting of question text? The listed group is dozens of questions, so even something like "I had a concern about the U.S. history in round 4" would help narrow things down a bit. Thanks!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Olivia7337
Kimahri

Post by Olivia7337 »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Olivia7337 wrote:Can anyone post the History and Literature questions from the 1st few rounds Please. I would also like to know if anyone knows of any video of the games from the tourney
I'm not aware of any source of video from the 2013 HSNCT (official or otherwise).

Do you have specific requests for posting of question text? The listed group is dozens of questions, so even something like "I had a concern about the U.S. history in round 4" would help narrow things down a bit. Thanks!
I really enjoy the History and Lit questions and was wondering if any of those questions from the first few rounds was available anywhere. Thanks Olivia

User was reminded to enable a signature --Mgmt.
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

So after playing UTCs Mirror of this I must say I really enjoyed the questions. Props to whoever wrote questions on Tsarnaev and Macondo. Jeff, is there anyway you could post the toss-up on Addis Ababa from round 9 I believe?
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 9 wrote:This city at the foot of Mount Entoto lies at the edge of the Awash River basin. In 2001, the African Union was established in this city, once the headquarters of the OAU. Its Meskel Square was renamed Revolution Square by the Derg after the 1974 fall of the ruling monarchy. The (*) Australopithecus fossil Lucy is on display in this city, the resting place of Haile Selassie. For 10 points--name this capital of Ethiopia.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Lefty734
Lulu

Post by Lefty734 »

Can you post the tossup on Baltimore? Thanks!
Nick Pinto
Flowery Branch High School '15
"Rappaccini's Daughters"
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 19 wrote:During the 1950s this eastern city was governed by mayor Thomas D'Alesandro Jr., who was the father of Nancy Pelosi. More recently, this city was governed by Martin O'Malley before he was elected governor of his state by defeating Robert (*) Ehrlich. This city was named for a family of Catholic lords who founded a mid-Atlantic colony. For 10 points--name this city established by the Calvert family, the largest in Maryland.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

zachary_yan
Lulu

Post by zachary_yan »

In round 13, I there was a tossup on Matt Ryan that I was pretty much recycled from an IS set from I think 2009. I had read the IS packet a few weeks before nationals and the the lead in question from the IS was something like "he broke Doug Flutie's passing record at the same ACC college". The nationals version was simply amended with a lead in about Matt Ryan winning the 2006 walter payton award, with the college passing record clue relegated to 2nd sentence. Otherwise the tossup seemed identical. Could someone bring up both tossups in question?
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant
Important Bird Area

IS #102 (spring 2011) wrote:This football player was named ACC Player of the Year in 2007, a season in which he broke Doug Flutie's school record for touchdown passes. He beat out Chris Redman for a starting job after being taken third in the 2008 draft, while in 2010 his passes to such receivers as (*) Roddy White propelled his team to the best record in the NFC. For 10 points--name this Boston College alum, the quarterback for the Falcons.
2013 HSNCT wrote:This athlete won the 2007 Manning Award after leading his school to its first 11-win season since 1940; he also broke a school record for touchdowns held by Doug Flutie. He was the third pick in the 2008 NFL draft, and has made two Pro Bowls as an NFC (*) quarterback. In 2012, with such receivers as Julio Jones and Roddy White, his team won the NFC South. For 10 points--name this quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

If this was posted already somewhere, I apologize, but can you tell us what the average winning score was over all games at HSNCT and the average losing score? I'm just curious how competitive (or not competitive) the average game is. (I hope this isn't too cumbersome for you to calculate).
Nick
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Nick wrote:If this was posted already somewhere, I apologize, but can you tell us what the average winning score was over all games at HSNCT and the average losing score? I'm just curious how competitive (or not competitive) the average game is. (I hope this isn't too cumbersome for you to calculate).
Actually, I quote enjoyed figuring out how to calculate this :-)

average winner score, average loser score, average score in general
Prelims: 297, 149, 223
Playoffs: 375, 215, 296
Overall: 306, 156, 231
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
msbg360
Lulu

Post by msbg360 »

Would it be possible to see the tossup on "tongue"? Thank you.
Manu Gargeya
The Early College at Guilford '14
North Carolina State University '18
Important Bird Area

2013 HSNCT round 4 wrote:This structure has a "strawberry" appearance in Kawasaki disease. It contains Ebner's glands, which secrete lipase, and has structures on its surface labeled foliate, circumvallate, or fungiform--the papillae. Cranial nerves 7 and 9 provide special (*) sensory fibers to this structure whose muscles are mostly innervated by the hypoglossal nerve. For 10 points--name this muscular organ in the mouth that contains taste buds.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

zachary_yan
Lulu

Post by zachary_yan »

What exactly was the "San Diego Students" school? In their alleged first ever event, they went 7-3 and tied for 33rd.

Answer redacted.

Don't publicly out teams playing under pseudonyms! That's in extremely poor taste and could get them in trouble. - Mgmt.
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant