2013 HSNCT discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2013 HSNCT discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

This is your thread for discussion of the 2013 NAQT HSNCT. Please feel free to discuss any aspect of the tournament, including the content of the question set.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
vinteuil
Auron

Re: 2013 HSNCT discussion

Post by vinteuil »

Tammuz.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

What was the final tossup?
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

perlnerd666 wrote:Tammuz.
Excellent, this clearly explains the issues you had with the tossup and provides an opportunity for further discussion.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Ukonvasara wrote:
Excellent, this clearly explains the issues you had with the tossup and provides an opportunity for further discussion.
I would love to see how many rooms this was converted in. My estimate would be around 10%?
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

perlnerd666 wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
I would love to see how many rooms this was converted in. My estimate would be around 10%?
We expect that conversion data will be available in about a month.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

To whomever wrote the Easter Rising tossup from Round 17, thank you! I've been waiting the entire year for an opportunity to power a bona fide Irish history tossup.
Jesse Bennett
University School of Nashville (TN) '14
Vanderbilt University '19
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

I didn't like how Doubting Castle was in the first line for the Pilgrim's Progress TU. That clue pretty much screamed, "This is an allegory!"
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I will out myself as the writer of the Tammuz tossup. I don't think this was a poorly written tossup per se, but (without trying to bash other people at NAQT) will say that this was never intended to end up in the HSNCT set.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

Can I ask for questions to be posted here? I'm interested in the matrices bonus in the last few rounds and Settlers of Catan tossup. I think I saw both of those referenced in the liveblog.
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

I am also interested in the Settlers of Catan tossup. How do you write a tossup on something like that?
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

There weren't that many obviously noticeable repeats, but one really glaring one was when, in the course of a single packet, there was a tossup on Wisconsin from political clues, including "Russ Feingold is a former Senator from here" and a bonus on JC Penney referencing "this bigwig who is unrelated to the Wisconsin senator who just beat Russ Feingold and has the same first and last name".
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Capitoline
Lulu

Post by Capitoline »

I would like to praise the writer of the Joe DiMaggio hitting streak tossup; it was a nice change from the typical "this franchise" sports questions. Overall, I thought the set was very well written, and I was pleased with the quality of moderators.
Ben Cushing
Phoenixville '14
Penn '18
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 25 wrote:The only cards in this game that can be used immediately after drawing them are the five victory point cards. Players may always trade any four identical resources for one of their choice, but "3 to 1" and "2 to 1" ports can improve trading. (*) Rolling a 7 moves the "Robber" to a new hex where it prevents settlements from producing brick, wood, grain, ore, or sheep. For 10 points--name this game about "settling" an island.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

jonpin wrote:There weren't that many obviously noticeable repeats, but one really glaring one was when...
...the tossups on heat capacity and Einstein that were in consecutive early packets both began with his QHO formulation.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

I'm having mixed emotions towards this tossup. On one hand, it was really cool to see something like this tossed up because I had a chance to exercise the mythology I'd been studying recently. On the other hand, I'm almost positive this got converted in very few rooms, and in fact I waited until the very end of the question because I was completely baffled that something like Tammuz would come up at this level.

EDIT: On the topic of myth, I greatly enjoyed the tossups on druids, Izanami, and Heimdall. It was definitely more non-Classical myth than what usually shows up in an NAQT set. Do you think those three questions could be posted?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

In case anybody is interested, here is Saturday's schedule.
Attachments
prelim-masterschedule.pdf
(87.43 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I said that the 2012 HSNCT was the single best set of questions I'd ever heard. I thought that this year's was just as good. I did think, though, that the questions got progressively more difficult, even during the prelims. I'd be interested in seeing the eventual data to see if this was a trend with everyone, or just the perception of my teams.

Also, I want to publicly declare that Matt Bruce is the best moderator ever. We had the privilege of being in his room one round. Immediately after the match, my players commented on what a great moderator he was. Every single word was clear and pronounced correctly. He didn't read too fast, but still managed to get through all 24 tossups, even with almost every bonus being read.

Overall, this was an awesome tournament. I can't wait for next year.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

quizbowllee wrote:I said that the 2012 HSNCT was the single best set of questions I'd ever heard. I thought that this year's was just as good. I did think, though, that the questions got progressively more difficult, even during the prelims. I'd be interested in seeing the eventual data to see if this was a trend with everyone, or just the perception of my teams.

Also, I want to publicly declare that Matt Bruce is the best moderator ever. We had the privilege of being in his room one round. Immediately after the match, my players commented on what a great moderator he was. Every single word was clear and pronounced correctly. He didn't read too fast, but still managed to get through all 24 tossups, even with almost every bonus being read.

Overall, this was an awesome tournament. I can't wait for next year.
Which room was Matt Bruce in, and what did he look like/what was he wearing?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

kibinai wrote:Which room was Matt Bruce in, and what did he look like/what was he wearing?
Hanover E, and this.
Jonah Greenthal
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

As a staffer, I was very happy with how the assignments for the Friday night scrimmages and the schedule for the Sunday consolation rounds were handled. They were much, much better than last year.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:As a staffer, I was very happy with how the assignments for the Friday night scrimmages and the schedule for the Sunday consolation rounds were handled. They were much, much better than last year.
I also meant to thank Nathan and whoever else put the work into the logistics for friday night. I was elsewhere Sunday, but am glad to hear it was equally improved. Thanks, Mr. Murphy.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

I liked the "cartoons of the New Yorker" tossup, but I wonder if this induced a lot of early negs with more general answers like "comics (strips)", or "memes". I liked how there were related tossups, such as "Vonnegut" and "Cat's Cradle", geography tossups on "Santa Fe" and "New Mexico". I liked not only how well they were written, but how the inclusion of one tossup didn't preclude the inclusion of the other.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

quizbowllee wrote:Also, I want to publicly declare that Matt Bruce is the best moderator ever. We had the privilege of being in his room one round. Immediately after the match, my players commented on what a great moderator he was. Every single word was clear and pronounced correctly. He didn't read too fast, but still managed to get through all 24 tossups, even with almost every bonus being read.
There was another coach who told him that after another round (I was scorekeeping in Hanover E).
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Great questions, great competition, great tournament! NAQT somehow manages to "one up" themselves every year with the HSNCT. I am already looking forward to next May!

I have a question for NAQT (and perhaps other mathematically-inclined folks) that revolves around the card system, but probably more generally it is a math question that I simply lack the ability to compute, or the statistical wherewithal to process the required data. Before I ask it, let me say upfront that I am NOT complaining about anything involving Chattahoochee's final record or placement; we earned our record and placement fair and square. However, I am genuinely curious about the following:

In general, for all 6-4 and 7-3 playoff teams, what is the minimum and maximum number of other playoff teams a team could play over the course of their 10 rounds on Saturday at the HSNCT? My follow-up question would be specific to this year's HSNCT: which of those 6-4 and 7-3 teams played the "easiest" and "hardest" schedule on Saturday based on the record of its playoff opponents?

For example: Chattahoochee (6-4) played 7 rounds against other playoff teams; our playoff opponents' overall record: 50-20, .714 winning % (6-4, 6-4, 7-3, 7-3, 7-3, 8-2, and 9-1).

(I am not focused as much on 8-2 and 9-1 teams because I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that those teams would have to have played a greater number of games against playoff teams that also have very good records. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.)
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

RountreeCHS wrote:
In general, for all 6-4 and 7-3 playoff teams, what is the minimum and maximum number of other playoff teams a team could play over the course of their 10 rounds on Saturday at the HSNCT? My follow-up question would be specific to this year's HSNCT: which of those 6-4 and 7-3 teams played the "easiest" and "hardest" schedule on Saturday based on the record of its playoff opponents?

For example: Chattahoochee (6-4) played 7 rounds against other playoff teams; our playoff opponents' overall record: 50-20, .714 winning % (6-4, 6-4, 7-3, 7-3, 7-3, 8-2, and 9-1).
I'm going to guess the maximum is 10. Mountain Lakes finished Saturday 7-3 and played 8 games against teams that made playoffs (3 at 6-4, 2 at 7-3, 3 at 8-2). The two teams we played that didn't make playoffs ( that we played in our 1st and 7th games) finished 5-5 and 4-6, so if three games had gone the other way every team we played would have made playoffs. Although, it must be noted that our Saturday was kind of fluke-y anyway, considering we played one team twice (Dorman A in games 3 and 10) and almost played another team twice (we played Utica Academy in game 4 and would have also played them in game 9 if they had beaten St. Mark's in their eighth game) as well.

Perhaps I'm thinking about this too simplistically, but I think the minimum number of games a team that made playoffs played against another team that made playoffs would be 0, since the first 8 games are guaranteed to be against a team of equal record (for a 6-4 team that got their 6th win in their 10th game, their first 8 games would then be guaranteed to be against a team that did not have 6 wins yet and could have finished with less than 6), and there's also a very good chance their 9th and 10th games were against teams of equal record, who could have also theoretically finished with fewer than 6 wins.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

A 6-4 team could play anywhere from 0 to 10 playoff teams. The same goes for a 7-3 team, but it would be very rare for them to play no playoff teams.

I don't know if anybody will crunch the numbers at any point, but it certainly is possible that Chattahoochee A played the toughest schedule of any 6-4 team. In large part, this is due to the fact that they got their wins early. It's great to be 6-1, but it means that you're going to play another 6-1 team. If you lose, you're still going to play a 6-2 team, which isn't going to be a pushover.

The schedule tries to match teams up so that a team coming off a loss, which probably is one of the better teams with a given record, generally plays a team coming off a win, which probably is not one of the better teams with a given record. When it's all said and done, you are better off winning early if you can. However, there is a big gap between 'probably' and 'definitely', and there is nothing close to a guarantee when teams that are fairly evenly matched go up against each other.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Fisher played eight playoff teams (6-4 USN, 7-3 Macomb, 7-3 Wayzata A, 7-3 Cave Spring, 6-4 Desert Vista B, 8-2 Richard Montgomery, 6-4 Solon A, 6-4 Kealing) with 5-5 Clements and St. Joe's (NJ) as our two games after Cave Spring and before Desert Vista). We were 5-2 before we dropped our last three. No complaining here either, definitely enjoyed a great set of competition Saturday, and was my favorite tournament to play in as long as I've played. I was pretty surprised and curious however about how possible it was for a 5-5 team to play no teams that ended up worse than 5-5.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Important Bird Area

kibinai wrote:
I'm having mixed emotions towards this tossup. On one hand, it was really cool to see something like this tossed up because I had a chance to exercise the mythology I'd been studying recently. On the other hand, I'm almost positive this got converted in very few rooms, and in fact I waited until the very end of the question because I was completely baffled that something like Tammuz would come up at this level.

EDIT: On the topic of myth, I greatly enjoyed the tossups on druids, Izanami, and Heimdall. It was definitely more non-Classical myth than what usually shows up in an NAQT set. Do you think those three questions could be posted?
HSNCT round 13 wrote:While serving as gatekeeper alongside Gishzida, this god is flattered by the wise man Adapa, and he intervenes when Adapa is sent before the sky god Anu. After the galla demons catch up to him, this analogue of (*) Adonis is forced to spend half of each year in the underworld following the harvest. For 10 points--name this god of vegetation, the husband of Ishtar and counterpart of Inanna's consort Dumuzi.
HSNCT round 9 wrote:Strabo's Geography contrasts these people with the bards and the seers, or vates. In the Ulster Cycle, a claim that it is a good day to conceive a king prompts Ness to sleep with one named Cathbad. They allegedly placed humans in effigies to be burnt in a (*) wicker man ritual described by Julius Caesar. Pliny the Elder describes their fertility ritual of oak and mistletoe. For 10 points--name these Celtic priests.
HSNCT round 17 wrote:Because she spoke first during the wedding ceremony with her husband, this goddess's first child was born deformed and set adrift. With her husband, she created the first dry land by stirring the ocean with a jeweled spear. She died giving birth to the fire god (*) Kagutsuchi, and her husband was unsuccessful in bringing her back from the land of Yomi. For 10 points--name this Shinto goddess and wife of Izanagi.
HSNCT round 2 wrote:This god fights a seal that stole the necklace Brisingamen from Freya. He wields the sword Hofund and was the sole child of nine maiden sisters. His most famous possession, the (*) Gjallarhorn, will signal the beginning of Ragnarok. He never sleeps and he can hear the grass growing, two traits that aid--for 10 points--what watchman of the Norse gods who guards the rainbow bridge Bifrost?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

quizbowllee wrote:I did think, though, that the questions got progressively more difficult, even during the prelims. I'd be interested in seeing the eventual data to see if this was a trend with everyone, or just the perception of my teams.
This was not our intent; we would like all 27 rounds to be as close to consistently difficult as possible.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

Would you mind posting the Easter Rising tossup that I mentioned above?
Jesse Bennett
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 17 wrote:One clash during this event took place at Mount Street Bridge. Buildings seized during it included Jacob's Factory and Boland's Bakery. At the General Post Office, Patrick Pearse read a Proclamation of the (*) Irish Republic. Pearse and James Connolly were executed by the British after--for 10 points--what 1916 uprising in Dublin that takes its name from a Christian holiday?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

ether a go-go wrote:I don't know if anybody will crunch the numbers at any point, but it certainly is possible that Chattahoochee A played the toughest schedule of any 6-4 team. In large part, this is due to the fact that they got their wins early. It's great to be 6-1, but it means that you're going to play another 6-1 team. If you lose, you're still going to play a 6-2 team, which isn't going to be a pushover.
I personally thought it was a very doable schedule, even when one of our players left after we played Guilford to give her valedictorian speech. Both of our last two games were winnable but we choked both of them up.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

AlexLiu wrote:I personally thought it was a very doable schedule, even when one of our players left after we played Guilford to give her valedictorian speech. Both of our last two games were winnable but we choked both of them up.
Alex is right. We have no one to blame by finishing 6-4 (and ultimately t-50th) but ourselves. We went 4-0 against other playoff teams before dropping our last 3 on Saturday. We should have/could have beaten either East Chapel Hill or Olmsted Falls and we simply didn't get the job done; the same goes for North Hollywood on Sunday in fact. While I am disappointed, I am proud of my kids for competing hard for the whole tournament and never once having a "woe is me" attitude about their draw, even if the following is true:
ether a go-go wrote:I don't know if anybody will crunch the numbers at any point, but it certainly is possible that Chattahoochee A played the toughest schedule of any 6-4 team. In large part, this is due to the fact that they got their wins early. It's great to be 6-1, but it means that you're going to play another 6-1 team. If you lose, you're still going to play a 6-2 team, which isn't going to be a pushover.
I guess if someone had the time and the patience they could go through each 6-4 and 7-3 team's draw on Saturday and count up the number of playoff teams and calculate those teams' final Saturday record. But, with more than 75 of those teams, this would take quite some time unless someone had a faster method. Regardless, it would be interesting to see which teams faced the toughest competition and which teams faced the weakest competition.

EDIT: spelling
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

So I only did 6-4 and 5-5 teams, but:

For # of Saturday opponents that made the playoffs, the range for 6-4 teams went from 1 (Centennial, but did play seven 5-5 teams) to 9 (St. Mark's [everyone but their first round opponent, who finished 4-6] and Winchester Thurston [everyone but their first round opponent, who finished 5-5]). The range for 5-5 teams went from 1 (several) to 8 (Fisher Catholic).

For Saturday opponent's total records, the range for 6-4 teams went from 47-53 (Centennial and Hume-Fogg) to 69-31 (St. Mark's; Winchester's opponents finished 68-32). For the 5-5 teams, the range went from 41-59 (several) to 63-37 (Fisher Catholic).
Andrew Feist
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

tabstop wrote:For # of Saturday opponents that made the playoffs, the range for 6-4 teams went from 1 (Centennial, but did play seven 5-5 teams) to 9 (St. Mark's [everyone but their first round opponent, who finished 4-6] and Winchester Thurston [everyone but their first round opponent, who finished 5-5]).
Andrew, you rock! Can you do this for 7-3 teams too? Thanks.
tabstop wrote:For Saturday opponent's total records, the range for 6-4 teams went from 47-53 (Centennial and Hume-Fogg) to 69-31 (St. Mark's; Winchester's opponents finished 68-32). For the 5-5 teams, the range went from 41-59 (several) to 63-37 (Fisher Catholic).
Can you do this for 7-3 teams too and take out all of the non-playoff opponents in the overall record please? Thanks.

If I am following this correctly, St. Mark's played 9 playoff teams and those teams' cumulative Saturday record was 65-25 (or a .722 winning %). Winchester Thurston also played 9 playoff teams with a cumulative Saturday record of 63-27 (or a .700 winning %). Is this correct?

Among the 6-4 teams, we can start to create a list of the teams that played the "hardest" Saturday schedule?
1. St. Mark's - 9 playoff opponents with a .722 winning %
2. Chattahoochee - 7 playoff opponents with a .714 winning %
3. Winchester Thurston - 9 playoff opponents with a .700 winning %

And, among the 5-5 teams, we have:
1. Fisher Catholic - 8 playoff opponents with a .663 winning %

Let's expand this to a top-5 or even a top-10 and then see if we can do the same thing for the 5-10 "easiest" Saturday schedules for 5-5, 6-4, and 7-3 teams.
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

etchdulac wrote:
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:As a staffer, I was very happy with how the assignments for the Friday night scrimmages and the schedule for the Sunday consolation rounds were handled. They were much, much better than last year.
I also meant to thank Nathan and whoever else put the work into the logistics for friday night. I was elsewhere Sunday, but am glad to hear it was equally improved. Thanks, Mr. Murphy.
NAQT (especially Nathan) put a lot of time into attempting to improve the scrimmage/consolation logistics. Thank you for your feedback; we are very glad to hear that the organization was significantly better this year.
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
NAQT Vice President for Logistics
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

Mr Hoppes, would you mind posting the Charles Barkley tossup from round 8?
Jesse Bennett
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

I can almost do the 7-3 data; the TJ A and Dorman B pages throw an error so I will have to look through everybody else's pages to find their opponents which might take a bit.

If we go by "Saturday winning percentage of opponents who made the playoffs", which seems to be what matches what you want here, then among 6-4 teams:
1. Sycamore (3 opponents, 22-8, .733)
2. St. Mark's (9 opponents, 65-25, .722)
3. North Hollywood (5 opponents, 36-14, .720)
4. Chattahoochee A (7 opponents, 50-20, .714)
5. Richard Montgomery B (8 opponents, 57-23, .713)
There are ten teams at .700 at 6-15. It's not as clear how to weight number of playoff opponents vs record here, to me.

It gets worse among 5-5 teams, as technically first place is Glasgow, whose one playoff opponent went 8-2. There is again a large cluster at .700.
Andrew Feist
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

This spreadsheet might be of interest to some people: (http://www.mediafire.com/view/nv24m5qjbm8vvgc/out.csv). Basically, it tallies the number of opponents with each record that each team played in the prelims and has a few summary stats. Presumably, interested parties can slice and dice this information however they see fit.

As Andrew noted, TJ A and Dorman B are erroring out, so I don't have data for those two, but data for the other 254 teams are included.

(I would've uploaded it directly to the forum, but it disallows csv files, so boo on that.)
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:I did think, though, that the questions got progressively more difficult, even during the prelims. I'd be interested in seeing the eventual data to see if this was a trend with everyone, or just the perception of my teams.
This was not our intent; we would like all 27 rounds to be as close to consistently difficult as possible.
I thought you all did a pretty great job of this save for packet 20 which I thought resembled a D1 SCT packet in terms of difficulty. I believe there were more tough answerlines in that packet than any other by a decent margin.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

I found all the 7-3 data, so:
Most playoff opponents: 9 (Northmont)
Fewest playoff opponents: 3 (Guilford B)
Best Sat opponent record: 65-35 (Saint Joseph (IN), Mountain Lakes, Dorman B, LASA B)
Worst Sat opponent record: 49-51 (Guilford B)

Considering playoff opponents only:
1. Dorman B (7 opponents, 52-18, .743)
2. LASA B (7 opponents, 51-19, .729)
3. Arcadia A (7 opponents, 50-20, .714)
4. Bellarmine (8 opponents, 57-23, .713)
Maggie Walker A, Mountain Lakes, and High Tech B all at .700.
Andrew Feist
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

tabstop wrote:the TJ A and Dorman B pages throw an error
We're aware of this and are working on fixing it, although it may take a few days because the scoresheets are currently in the possession of the USPS.
Jonah Greenthal
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I'm curious about the emergency contraception (aka "Plan B", aka "morning-after pill") tossup in the final. Was "birth control" a marked thing to prompt, or was that an on-the-fly decision by Seth? I was surprised by the prompt, because the clues to that point, as far as I could tell, did not apply to standard birth control.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area

intheshadowofgreatness wrote:Mr Hoppes, would you mind posting the Charles Barkley tossup from round 8?
HSNCT round 7 wrote:This basketball player was the SEC Player of the Year in 1984, during his junior year at Auburn, having led the conference in rebounding for three straight years. He finished his pro career in Houston, where he teamed with Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde (*) Drexler, after reaching the 1993 NBA Finals with Phoenix. For 10 points--name this power forward known as the "Round Mound of Rebound," who is now an analyst on Inside the NBA.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

jonpin wrote:I'm curious about the emergency contraception (aka "Plan B", aka "morning-after pill") tossup in the final. Was "birth control" a marked thing to prompt, or was that an on-the-fly decision by Seth? I was surprised by the prompt, because the clues to that point, as far as I could tell, did not apply to standard birth control.
HSNCT round 26 wrote:answer: _morning-after pill_ (accept _Plan B_ One-Step before "Plan"; accept _emergency contraception_; prompt on "contraception" or "birth control")
Given that "emergency contraception" is clearly a correct answer, "do not prompt on contraception" would have been needlessly harsh.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

setht
Auron

Post by setht »

geolawyerman wrote:What was the final tossup?
Prompt! (By which I mean, are you asking about final tossup #1 or final tossup #2?)

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Kouign Amann wrote:
jonpin wrote:There weren't that many obviously noticeable repeats, but one really glaring one was when...
...the tossups on heat capacity and Einstein that were in consecutive early packets both began with his QHO formulation.
This one jumped out at me while I was reading. I'm not sure how it snuck by us during editing, but I apologize for that one.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Could you please post the tossup on Type II error from the antepenultimate round?
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 24 wrote:Under certain conditions, the Neyman-Pearson lemma indicates that the probability of this occurrence is minimized by using a likelihood ratio statistic. This outcome's probability equals one minus the power of a test, and is sometimes called the rate of false discovery. This (*) undesirable situation results when a test incorrectly accepts a false null hypothesis. For 10 points--name this form of statistical error.

answer: _type II error_ (or _error of the second kind_; accept _type II_ after "error"; prompt on "false negative")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF