How to Buzz

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
samus149
Wakka

How to Buzz

Post by samus149 »

I've never figured out the proper way to buzz, just because the types of buzzers are so variable. There's handheld buzzers, box buzzers, tiny button buzzers. I've seen players use their thumbs, index fingers, tables, and heads (with less than satisfactory results). Some people hold the buzzers, some leave them on the table, some people flick their fingers off the buzzer, some just slam it as hard as possible, etc. Since nationals are right around the corner, I was wondering if anybody's developed a method for reliably winning buzzer races not just by knowing the answer first, but buzzing first.
Sean M.
HTHS '14
Cornell University '18
UCSB '23

The opinions presented in this user's posts have not been approved by HTHS Quizbowl Team. Viewer discretion is advised. - Patrick LeBlanc, Captain
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Re: How to Buzz

Post by Kouign Amann »

There's really no kinesiological solution to this problem; the best way to win buzzer races is to have an answer already in mind. That way, even the first syllable of the next clue can confirm what you're thinking and allow you to beat people who have to react to the whole word. As a question goes by, always have an idea of where it's going, and a have a few workable guesses in mind. As it gets nearer and nearer to the end, know that the one key word you need is coming, and buzz without hesitation as soon as you think you're beginning to hear it.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

Taking what Aidan said a step further, have multiple possible answers in mind. Try to keep yourself thinking laterally through the entirety of the tossup, and concentrate how you might reconcile each new clue with the previous clues. This is very challenging to do consistently, but I find that it works well in science and history.

For example, if I hear a series of clues on the Battle of Hastings, I can usually fairly quickly discern the time period, since many questions mention certain historians by name. If you know who those historians are, then you can contextualize the clues and hone in on what you think is the answer. Then, when something very buzzable comes up (Malfosse, for example), you need only hear the first syllable to confirm your suspicions and buzz in correctly.

This approach lends itself well to specialization because it is quite difficult to develop the knowledge base to do this effectively on the full-packet scale--but also because it is mentally quite tiring.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

If something triggers your buzz, take advantage of the time you get after a buzz to pull the answer, if you can. In the few seconds it took for you to remember that answer, the other guy might beat you to the buzzer if you don't buzz right away.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:If something triggers your buzz, take advantage of the time you get after a buzz to pull the answer, if you can. In the few seconds it took for you to remember that answer, the other guy might beat you to the buzzer if you don't buzz right away.
ITT Dylan explains how to get your neg levels on par with his
Morgan Venkus
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

if you're trying to find a way to win buzzer races based on buzzer speed over knowledge, you probably have the wrong approach to quizbowl in general
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:If something triggers your buzz, take advantage of the time you get after a buzz to pull the answer, if you can. In the few seconds it took for you to remember that answer, the other guy might beat you to the buzzer if you don't buzz right away.
Yeah, five seconds is actually a lot of time, and a lot of top players use that time very productively. Buzzing gives you a short-term monopoly on the ability to come up with the answer for points.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Rompimientos del Centauro
Lulu

Post by Rompimientos del Centauro »

If this is a question on actual buzzer technique, do something that feels comfortable and is ergonomic and all that. If your trigger finger hurts at the end of tournaments because you've been trying to "Dorman buzz" all day or something, try something different. Just do something that feels natural and smooth, while keeping in mind in the long run you're better off finding different and better ways of buzzing in before other people. It's pretty difficult to consistently win buzzer races on pure physical factors alone - often, as has been explained, anticipation of the answer is how to effectively buzz in before other people do.

I am unsure if there's any significant advantage to priming the buzzer down, but I'm inclined to say no, and that I don't do it. Some buzzers make priming impossible, but even on the ones that are more difficult to depress, the benefits seem minimal. Personally it seems as if the risks of negging accidentally are too high to justify having your buzzer finger travel several millimeters fewer. Knowing the answer earlier, working with an answer already in mind, and confident buzzing on a clue you know (then taking the full 5 seconds to pull your answer) are your best bets to winning buzzer races.
York Chen
Hunter '12
Vassar '16
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:
Yeah, five seconds is actually a lot of time, and a lot of top players use that time very productively. Buzzing gives you a short-term monopoly on the ability to come up with the answer for points.
At HSNCT though, moderators will crush your hopes and dreams after 2 seconds, sometimes multiple times per match!
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

samus149 wrote:I've never figured out the proper way to buzz, just because the types of buzzers are so variable. There's handheld buzzers, box buzzers, tiny button buzzers. I've seen players use their thumbs, index fingers, tables, and heads (with less than satisfactory results). Some people hold the buzzers, some leave them on the table, some people flick their fingers off the buzzer, some just slam it as hard as possible, etc. Since nationals are right around the corner, I was wondering if anybody's developed a method for reliably winning buzzer races not just by knowing the answer first, but buzzing first.
As a coach, I feel I should point out that I never once discussed with my players any sort of physical techniques to buzz faster, outside of simply having their hand or finger near the button. I DID, however, talk about something I called the "buzz threshold," which is that it is only correct to wait for 100% certainty on a rebound. Their "buzz threshhold," optimally, was in the 80-90% range. Not that anyone was actually computing anything, but if you felt better than 80% sure of the answer line, go ahead and take your shot. It seemed to work well for us. :cool:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
geowzrd
Lulu

Post by geowzrd »

If the answer to a question is sentimental or if I know it on the first clue, my buzzing in will become more exaggerated. Also, losing a buzzer race also has a tendency to exaggerate movement.
Christopher Miller
Woodgrove '13
William and Mary '17