2013-2014 Collaboration Thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

2013-2014 Collaboration Thread

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

It's that time of year again. We're planning for next year currently, and are looking for a collaboration partner on a regular difficulty high school housewrite. We're looking to have it ready by the spring, so if anybody is interested in teaming up please get in touch. We'd prefer working with another college team, especially one that has written or worked on a high school tournament before.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Re: 2013-2014 Collaboration Thread

Post by Beevor Feevor »

I'm pretty new to writing questions, but I would be good for quite a lot of literature, history, music, or arts questions for any difficulty south of regular-season college. I will have plenty of time over the summer to contribute to whatever tournament it will end up being, and am working mainly for the experience (though any amount of compensation wouldn't hurt).
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Anybody who contributes 40 tossups to Scobol Solo by September 1 can mirror it for free in the month of November. Email me if you are interested.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Fisher Catholic is interested writing questions in any category needed. Drop me a line if interested.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

I'm interested in helping as an individual.. I'm still new to the Question Writing process
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

I'll be a freshman at UC Berkeley this year, and I'm interested in assisting in the writing of a set. I can write mainly literature, visual arts, and mythology, but don't have much experience writing questions other than a few months of writing for NAQT, so I would prefer to work under the guidance of an experienced high school or college. If anyone is interested, please PM me and I can write up and send some sample questions.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Yo, I know Nick. I can write history and science, and some literature. And Vandy wants to do a slightly-above-IS housewrite so this is an ideal collaborative opportunity.
Edited: working with/for WKU's set
Last edited by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey guys: HSAPQ is only doing one regular tournament set next year so I'll plead a near-lack of economic interest in what I'm about to say...do we REALLY need more and more and more sets to be written? Some of which are being written by people with very little experience in creating good high school questions? This past year there were already more high school quizbowl packet sets created than there were weekends--you literally could not play every single set even if you went to a tournament every Saturday from September to June! And now we're spreading things out even further? I really think it would be good for people to voluntarily agree to stop creating new sets and instead add more collaborators, more mentoring relationships to new writers, and more effort onto existing sets. Having 20 full-length, polished, proofread question sets is better than having 40 or 50 sets out of which many are subpar, and will allow more resources to be spent on attracting new teams to tournaments, adequate staffing, and other concerns that could use the attention that is currently being used to create a huge, wasteful surplus of question-writing.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin wrote:Yo, I know Nick. I can write history and science, and some literature. And Vandy wants to do a slightly-above-IS housewrite so this is an ideal collaborative opportunity.
While we wouldn't be opposed to working with some people from Vandy in some way, we're looking more for a partner with experience producing a set before. Which brings me to this:
Matt Weiner wrote:Hey guys: HSAPQ is only doing one regular tournament set next year so I'll plead a near-lack of economic interest in what I'm about to say...do we REALLY need more and more and more sets to be written? Some of which are being written by people with very little experience in creating good high school questions? This past year there were already more high school quizbowl packet sets created than there were weekends--you literally could not play every single set even if you went to a tournament every Saturday from September to June! And now we're spreading things out even further? I really think it would be good for people to voluntarily agree to stop creating new sets and instead add more collaborators, more mentoring relationships to new writers, and more effort onto existing sets. Having 20 full-length, polished, proofread question sets is better than having 40 or 50 sets out of which many are subpar, and will allow more resources to be spent on attracting new teams to tournaments, adequate staffing, and other concerns that could use the attention that is currently being used to create a huge, wasteful surplus of question-writing.
This is why, when I proposed the idea of WKU working on a set, I suggested that we find a collaboration partner with experience writing a high school set. I'm the only person on our team to have ever worked on a high school (or college) tournament, and while I've always gotten seemingly positive reviews of questions I've written, I don't like the idea of my somewhat limited experience being the only thing keeping a high school set from being mediocre. If an existing writer group wants to take us in we'd be happy to work with them, they just need to get in touch.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
kdfifteen
Kimahri

Post by kdfifteen »

ether a go-go wrote:Anybody who contributes 40 tossups to Scobol Solo by September 1 can mirror it for free in the month of November. Email me if you are interested.

HI Mr. Reinstein,

I would be interested in providing 40 questions in any category, but preferably history and literature. My email is [email protected]

Thank You!

William Chang
Alpharetta '15
William Chang
Alpharetta '15
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Hunter is looking for a college team with writing experience with whom to collaborate for Prison Bowl VII, a regular difficulty high school tournament. If interested, contact us for more details.

EDIT: We'll be collaborating with University at Buffalo. Thanks to everyone who expressed interest!
Last edited by marianna on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

IMSA is planning to write the fourth iteration of its tournament. The stated goal of the tournament is:

IMSANITY is a tournament which aims to be regular difficulty in the sense of high conversion overall but not afraid to ask harder answer lines in reasonable moderation. Questions, especially bonuses, will feel unique, but more due to creative themes and answer lines than to increased difficulty. IMSANITY has sought to be a leader with noncomputational math questions.

This tournament is currently about 30% written, with answer lines for considerably more of the tournament already chosen. We look to have the set ready to run by November, and we take LOTS of time to edit, so any collaborators would need to join on and complete their share in the next couple months. If anyone is looking to collaborate and is okay with (1) the goal stated above, (2) the stated timeline, and (3) working with IMSA people, please email me at [email protected].
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin wrote:Yo, I know Nick. I can write history and science, and some literature. And Vandy wants to do a slightly-above-IS housewrite so this is an ideal collaborative opportunity.
While we wouldn't be opposed to working with some people from Vandy in some way, we're looking more for a partner with experience producing a set before. Which brings me to this:
Matt Weiner wrote:Hey guys: HSAPQ is only doing one regular tournament set next year so I'll plead a near-lack of economic interest in what I'm about to say...do we REALLY need more and more and more sets to be written? Some of which are being written by people with very little experience in creating good high school questions? This past year there were already more high school quizbowl packet sets created than there were weekends--you literally could not play every single set even if you went to a tournament every Saturday from September to June! And now we're spreading things out even further? I really think it would be good for people to voluntarily agree to stop creating new sets and instead add more collaborators, more mentoring relationships to new writers, and more effort onto existing sets. Having 20 full-length, polished, proofread question sets is better than having 40 or 50 sets out of which many are subpar, and will allow more resources to be spent on attracting new teams to tournaments, adequate staffing, and other concerns that could use the attention that is currently being used to create a huge, wasteful surplus of question-writing.
This is why, when I proposed the idea of WKU working on a set, I suggested that we find a collaboration partner with experience writing a high school set. I'm the only person on our team to have ever worked on a high school (or college) tournament, and while I've always gotten seemingly positive reviews of questions I've written, I don't like the idea of my somewhat limited experience being the only thing keeping a high school set from being mediocre. If an existing writer group wants to take us in we'd be happy to work with them, they just need to get in touch.
Have you found an experienced collaborator for this?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!