2013 MSNCT discussion

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2013 MSNCT discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

This is your thread for question-specific discussion of the 2013 NAQT MSNCT.

Note: a handful of high school novice tournaments in 2012-13 used the 2012 MSNCT as their question set. It is possible that some fall 2013 events may use this year's MSNCT in similar fashion. High school players, please check this page (under "2012-2013 Middle School Championship") before reading this thread.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: 2013 MSNCT discussion

Post by Cody »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Note: a handful of high school novice tournaments in 2012-13 used the 2012 MSNCT as their question set. It is possible that some fall 2013 events may use this year's MSNCT in similar fashion. High school players, please check this page (under "2012-2013 Middle School Championship") before reading this thread.
As it turns out, no fall event is currently using this, but have we really learned nothing from the [recent] past? Even if we are talking novice events..
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Given that 1) we do not yet have any subsequent tournaments planned to use the 2013 MSNCT and 2) past tournaments using the previous year's MSNCT have generally been novice events for which few or no players read this forum, R. and I both agreed that it was ok to have a public thread.

Any potential hosts who inquire about using the 2013 MSNCT will be made aware that this thread exists.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The only discussions to be had here are "Why is NAQT, the company that is still reeling from the biggest quizbowl cheating scandal, which included a high schooler, giving high schoolers carte blanche to cheat at tournaments by having a public thread about, especially when they can just make a subforum for discussion?" and "Why is a middle school tournament in the spring available for high schools to play in the fall?"
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Regardless of what may happen this fall, this set is definitely open for discussion, and we're hoping there will be some. Possibly all the competitors and coaches were fine with everything in the set and have no comments, or perhaps everyone is busy with other stuff, but we really would like to hear more from people.

I'll start things off by commenting on an earth science tossup I wrote on shields, with clues on continental shields and on shield volcanoes. This one got low conversion (20/39 rooms answered it correctly), which isn't great; more distressingly, it got a ton of negs. I'm guessing a lot of these were people buzzing in with "volcanoes." In my room, that was the first buzz, and I gave a neg without prompting. I've heard that in other rooms "volcanoes" got a prompt; obviously I don't think this was the right thing to do, but I apologize for not thinking to put an explicit "do not prompt" clause in the answer line to help make sure that all rooms dealt with the tossup in the same manner (and I can see why other moderators would have prompted on "volcanoes" in the absence of explicit prompt/do not prompt instructions, since "shield volcanoes" was listed as an acceptable alternate answer [as was "continental shields"]).

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

You actually answered the one question I had on this set. I negged it with volcanoes.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

geolawyerman wrote:You actually answered the one question I had on this set. I negged it with volcanoes.
Ditto.
David Song

Princeton '21
Bergen County Academies '17
Ben Franklin MS, Ridgewood HS 2011-13
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

I wrote the tossup on _mammal_s, which, despite being answered correctly by 31/34 of rooms, was also negged by 17 teams. I'm guessing a lot of these negs were buzzes on things such as "primates" or "chordates" or some other classification either too specific or not specific enough. I'd like some feedback on this question, as it was the first taxonomy-type question I've written.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

The _Mammalia_ or _mammal_s tossup started off with "This class's members", so any neg with a classification too specific or not specific enough was not the question's fault.
David Song

Princeton '21
Bergen County Academies '17
Ben Franklin MS, Ridgewood HS 2011-13
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

KoreanTacos wrote:The _Mammalia_ or _mammal_s tossup started off with "This class's members", so any neg with a classification too specific or not specific enough was not the question's fault.
I guess what I meant to say was that a lot of negs probably came from middle schoolers who didn't know the difference between a taxonomic class, order, phylum, etc.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA