BHSAT 2013 General Discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

BHSAT 2013 General Discussion

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Please post in this thread if you want to discuss general trends, stylistic issues, problems across multiple questions, opinions, feels, or other aspects of the 2013 BHSAT set which are not limited to a single question. You can also feel free to start a unique thread on a given issue if this thread doesn't suit your needs.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Re: BHSAT 2013 General Discussion

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

I thought that the set was good overall. The only problems i remember were minor, but there were some pretty big swings in difficulty of answer lines (I remember rounding and quantum computing in particular tripping up our science player) and a few rounds seemed to have too many common link tossups or cross discipline tossups for my personal taste, but those were fairly minor. Overall, great set and I believe my team enjoyed it.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

If you can, try to include how to pronounce harder science words in the leadins. For example, in packet 1 (emphasis mine):
BHSAT Packet 1 wrote:The 1278insTATC mutation is the most common cause of this disease
I had no idea what I was saying there. Not even remotely from an AP Chem class I took in high school.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Some thoughts I had reading this set today, in case others had thoughts that needed spurring:

- This set was far rougher on lower-level teams than it should have been and could have been more approachable for middle- and upper-level teams as well. I am not content with its current difficulty. I think a lot of tossups ended up more stacked with hard clues than was warranted or necessary and many bonuses had pretty unforgiving easy or middle parts. I think that the best way to bring this tournament back in line with its intended goals is to shore up the easy and middle parts of as many bonuses as possible, such that the easy part is really gettable by most teams period and most middle parts don't presuppose a solid familiarity with things in the Quizbowl Canon that are actually harder than they appear to an experienced eye. I welcome suggestions in the Specific Question Discussion thread about individual questions to fix in this way, and will also be thinking about changing up a few outlier tossups if needed.
- I'm glad that most of the "creative"/"zany" answer lines played out well, and we certainly intended to cover our bases in making the answer lines expansive and lenient (as anyone who modded could tell you). But some might not have played out very well on a mechanical level - do tell in the other thread if you think one of these questions could be made to play better.
- I don't want to step on Ashvin's toes re: science, but I would like to hear people's thoughts about the directions in which he took it.
- The grammar and proofreading was absolutely atrocious today (and presumably at WashU), and for the most part I'm the one at fault. A lot of the errors emerged as I was shifting around the wordings of sentences or cutting/replacing clues, which left a bunch of dangling words and leftover clauses behind through my own negligence. I took note of about 30 questions that need acute care and will be addressing them before the next mirror. I hope this didn't spoil anyone's playing experience.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

I loved the "applied" science questions. Also, whoever wrote the music did a great, great job.

I liked the tournament, although the zany answerlines (e.g. "fires") threw us for a bit of a loop. Bonuses seemed pretty badly inconsistent, though: Manichaeism and Cathars in the same bonus, but Hardy/Tess/Far From the Madding Crowd?

I think I ended up saying "jews" a lot (not a problem for me...), but they were in pretty different contexts, so that's fine.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

perlnerd666 wrote:I loved the "applied" science questions.
The science was my favorite thing about this tournament, and pretty easily the best I've seen in a high school tournament (although I didn't read the science from PACE 2012). It did a much better job of testing how much a player got out of his/her science classes than the "hey here's a named thing let's buzz" question that plagues so many other tournaments. The tossups' use of definitions and descriptions of theorems or constants was excellent, and I really enjoyed the "solve this problem" and lab technique bonus parts. This is what highschool-level science should be moving towards.
perlnerd666 wrote:I think I ended up saying "jews" a lot (not a problem for me...), but they were in pretty different contexts, so that's fine.
There did seem to be a lot of Jewish-related content (or maybe I just notice it more). Nothing repeated though, it was pretty spread out across the distribution. Religion as a whole was also well-written if a bit on the hard side (the bonus Jacob mentioned and the Santeria one).
RyuAqua wrote:- The grammar and proofreading was absolutely atrocious today (and presumably at WashU), and for the most part I'm the one at fault. A lot of the errors emerged as I was shifting around the wordings of sentences or cutting/replacing clues, which left a bunch of dangling words and leftover clauses behind through my own negligence. I took note of about 30 questions that need acute care and will be addressing them before the next mirror. I hope this didn't spoil anyone's playing experience.
This was the big damper on the tournament for me. The set was ridden with grammatical errors, which detracted from the reading experience, and thus the playing experience.

Overall, this was another very good BHSAT set. It pushed the boundaries somewhat in terms of what tossup and bonus answer lines can be (the "zanier" answer lines were mostly good, and I've mentioned the science bonuses already) while being remaining accessible to all our teams, although the field at UNC was fairly strong.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

The Predictable Consequences wrote:
RyuAqua wrote:- The grammar and proofreading was absolutely atrocious today (and presumably at WashU), and for the most part I'm the one at fault. A lot of the errors emerged as I was shifting around the wordings of sentences or cutting/replacing clues, which left a bunch of dangling words and leftover clauses behind through my own negligence. I took note of about 30 questions that need acute care and will be addressing them before the next mirror. I hope this didn't spoil anyone's playing experience.
This was the big damper on the tournament for me. The set was ridden with grammatical errors, which detracted from the reading experience, and thus the playing experience.
Please send me a list of remaining grammatical or proofreading issues (or feel free to post here) to ensure that they get truly expunged before the next use of the set. I cleared out maybe 50 of these after the main site, and I'm unhappy with myself that the job isn't done. I think I am just structurally bad at detecting grammatical errors on a computer screen - I have to read a sentence aloud or else my brain sort of AutoCorrects it - and I definitely need to do a better job paying attention when I actually read aloud. This may just be something I delegate to someone who can do it properly in the future.

There was indeed a lot of Jewish content (and a lot of content on China), but I don't think it reached a proportion beyond what's important or what people know well. So we don't plan to replace any of it.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

I appreciated the pronunciation guides for some of the Chinese names (though I would have liked more!), so thanks for that.

I think this set seemed to be written at cross-purposes. Matt Jackson's questions (and some others) seemed mostly difficulty appropriate (except for some questionable social science), and then you have Ashvin and Spencer. I don't think either of these two people understand how high school difficulty works, and I think tighter editorial control should have been exerted to keep the overall difficulty down.

(Talking specifically about Ashvin's questions here, since I'm not great at Spencer's categories) There were a lot of top-loaded questions and completely inappropriate bonus parts (though thankfully not that many tossup answers that were far too difficult). In addition, many of the calculation questions were annoying (including an actual straight up calculation question [probability one] since you told teams what they had to do). In many cases, the bonus part would have worked and flowed better if you'd just asked for the formula/a coefficient/method of performing the calculation (the moment of inertia of a disk comes to mind).

In addition, I think length was a real issue. Nearly all the tossups were on the sixth line in TNR 10--5 lines in TNR 10 is about 600 characters and is more than enough for a HS tossup. There's no reason you should have tossups past 6 lines in TNR 10 in a HS set, ever.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Please help out with specific examples of the questions that "don't understand how high school difficulty works," "top-loaded questions," "questionable social science," and "completely inappropriate bonus parts," which are all welcome in the other thread if you have a moment.

All tossups in the set should have been no longer than 6 lines in 10 point TNR as a rule; I'll check to see if any slipped through or got magically longer when tossup numbers were added. That said, I can see how laying down the rule "no tossups over 6 lines" could lead to almost every tossup being the full 6 lines when 5 or 5 and a half would suffice a lot of the time. Worth considering.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Cody

Post by Cody »

Well, not understanding how high school difficulty works is a direct conclusion from top-loading question and inappropriate bonus parts; I would say on the whole that most tossup answers were actually okay (though the quantum computers one comes to mind as a bad idea)--it's the clues that are the problem. For instance, the prevalence of orgo in this set--there's a reason HSAPQ functionally banned orgo for most of its HS sets.

Somewhat random examples (I went through the first three packets and picked one out of each):

Top-loaded:
Packet 1, Tossup 8 wrote:One partial differential equation of this type is the wave equation, which can be written “u sub x x minus u sub t t equals zero”. Since it has a signature with three pluses and one minus, Minkowski space is a space of this type, in which rotations are performed by the Lorentz transformation. One function that is a mean of a positive and negative exponential is named for this geometric figure. Any open Keplerian orbit with positive specific energy and positive kinetic energy at infinity must have this form, which is characterized by an eccentricity greater than one. For 10 points, the figure produced by “y equals one over x” is what type of conic section?
ANSWER: hyperbola <AS>
This tossup is unbuzzable for like 80%+ of HS teams until the giveaway. Most people in HS don't know things about quantum mechanics, special relativity, the hyperbolic cosine or "open Keplerian orbits." Mostly the top-loaded part wasn't as extreme as nearly the entire tossup, but it was still a significant portion of the question.

Inappropriate bonus part:
Packet 3, Bonus 6 wrote:Mathematically, this operator is denoted by a symbol that looks like an upside-down “V”. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this Boolean operator that returns true only when both inputs are true.
ANSWER: AND [or logical conjunction]
[10] Including AND, there are this many distinct Boolean operators that accept two inputs. Alternatively, this is the result of performing binary bitwise AND on the numbers 24 and 48.
ANSWER: sixteen
[10] Boolean AND is equivalent to this operation on the natural numbers if we regard true as 1 and false as 0. The identity for this operation is 1, and its iterated use may be notated using a capital letter pi
ANSWER: multiplication [or multiplying; or taking the product] <AS>
There are two problems with this bonus that I consider apply more universally. The first is that sixteen is an absurd hard part at the HS level (I've taken a DLD class and I only know of AND, OR, NAND, NOR, XOR and XNOR; I have no clue at all where the other 10 come from! [and all those I mentioned also accept more than two inputs, so it's pretty confusing to boot]) and converting 24 and 48 to binary and AND'ing them is not a 5 second calculation problem (and it's a dumb calculation problem anyway--even *VHSL* hasn't had binary computation for a few years now!) Sure, you could recognize that it's 16+8 and 32+16 and get it there, but that's only likely when you already know the answer. The other problem is that this bonus lacks an easy part because the part that should be easy has non-obvious or hard clues when it's the easy part and should have very easy clues.

Questionable/top-loaded SS:
Packet 2, Tossup 17 wrote:This phenomenon can occur due to a failure at any of the Atkinson-Shiffrin model’s three stages. One study of this phenomenon included a set of 2,300 consonant-vowel-consonant nonsense syllables. This phenomenon, which can occur due to proactive or retroactive interference, is prevented by the primacy, recency, and serial position effects, and was modeled by an exponential decrease in Hermann Ebbinghaus’s curve. The “motivated” type of this is a defense mechanism closely related to repression. For 10 points, name this process accelerated by dementia in Alzheimer’s disease, and occurs to a large degree in sufferers of amnesia.
ANSWER: forgetting memories [or memory loss; do not accept “dementia”; prompt on “amnesia”] <MJ>
I question whether high schoolers really know anything about "forgetting" and something like half or more of this tossup is unbuzzable for the majority of teams.

re: 6 lines TNR10. There were a few tossups that were a few words onto line 7, which isn't a big deal because what's one or two words. However, having a lot of your questions at exactly 6 lines (or close) is still too long for most tossups and that's where the real problem lies (I would venture to say--based on HSAPQ and NAQT producing lots of HS sets--that 600 characters [5 lines TNR 10] is sufficient for all HS tossups). This is a general problem with length caps; people tend to fill out tossups all the way to them, even when shorter questions would be more than sufficient.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

For instance, the prevalence of orgo in this set--there's a reason HSAPQ functionally banned orgo for most of its HS sets.
Maybe I've forgotten what I wrote for this set, but I distinctly recall putting barely any orgo in. I just skimmed over the chem tossups, and found orgo content in the 1st sentence of 5 tossups, and in the 2nd sentence of 1 of those tossups. I don't think that's egregious.
There are two problems with this bonus that I consider apply more universally. The first is that sixteen is an absurd hard part at the HS level (I've taken a DLD class and I only know of AND, OR, NAND, NOR, XOR and XNOR; I have no clue at all where the other 10 come from! [and all those I mentioned also accept more than two inputs, so it's pretty confusing to boot]) and converting 24 and 48 to binary and AND'ing them is not a 5 second calculation problem (and it's a dumb calculation problem anyway--even *VHSL* hasn't had binary computation for a few years now!) Sure, you could recognize that it's 16+8 and 32+16 and get it there, but that's only likely when you already know the answer. The other problem is that this bonus lacks an easy part because the part that should be easy has non-obvious or hard clues when it's the easy part and should have very easy clues.
I guess I'm not going to specifically defend this as a good idea, but if you write out a truth table for a binary Boolean operator, you have 2^2 inputs (00, 01, 10, 11), each of which can have 2 outputs, so you have 2^(2^2)=16 operators possible, which is where this comes from. The computation part (24 AND 48) was added in as an afterthought; the objective of this bonus part was not really to have people doing binary computation, but to have that available as an option.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

I'll chime in to say I know nothing about memory type stuff, but Haohang in practice buzzed on the first or second clue of that tossup and said she had learned about it in AP Psych.

That binary bit was too hard, in my opinion. I tried the calculation tack but without paper and taking too long to figure out what it was asking, I was nowhere close to in time.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Cody

Post by Cody »

Excelsior (smack) wrote:I guess I'm not going to specifically defend this as a good idea, but if you write out a truth table for a binary Boolean operator, you have 2^2 inputs (00, 01, 10, 11), each of which can have 2 outputs, so you have 2^(2^2)=16 operators possible, which is where this comes from. The computation part (24 AND 48) was added in as an afterthought; the objective of this bonus part was not really to have people doing binary computation, but to have that available as an option.
So, what you're saying is that this bonus part isn't even rooted in reality? There may be 16 binary boolean operators in the abstract, but that doesn't mean there are actually 16 defined ones (in fact I'd be there aren't), so this bonus is even more confusing if not flat out wrong. I'll find another example.
Mewto55555 wrote:AP Psych.
Well, sure, but I don't think a majority of teams (across the country) have people who've taken AP Psych and I think up until Ebbinghaus, that's mostly what the tossup is. There's not enough gradation for most teams. (Of course, that's a general problem with social science at the HS level, but I thought I remembered the last BHSAT doing this really well)
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

So, what you're saying is that this bonus part isn't even rooted in reality? There may be 16 binary boolean operators in the abstract, but that doesn't mean there are actually 16 defined ones (in fact I'd be there aren't), so this bonus is even more confusing if not flat out wrong. I'll find another example.
What? That's not at all what I'm saying! And also, you're wrong! Loathe as I am to point to Wikipedia, you will note here that each of the 16 binary boolean operators has a name, which I hope is good enough for you to accept them as "concrete", whatever that means to you. (And honestly, what do you mean by "16 defined ones"? Watch, as I literally define a binary boolean operator before your eyes: f(00) = 0; f(01) = 1; f(10) = 0; f(11) = 0. Lo and behold, I have defined what Wikipedia calls "converse nonimplication"! If it makes you happier, imagine that I did that for each of the operations before you received the set.)

For :capybara: 's sake, Cody, I'm not claiming that the science was excellent, or even just decent, but try to keep your criticisms rooted in reality.

Post sanitized by the capybara. --Mgmt.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Cody

Post by Cody »

Excelsior (smack) wrote:What? That's not at all what I'm saying! And also, you're wrong! Loathe as I am to point to Wikipedia, you will note here that each of the 16 binary boolean operators has a name, which I hope is good enough for you to accept them as "concrete", whatever that means to you.
That would be enough were there not some problems with that link. For example, you're counting not p and not q as separate Boolean binary operations when they're both Boolean unary operations (at least, in all the cases I've encountered them!). This holds the same for p & q (carry-through)--both unary operations. As far as I'm aware, you can't have two inputs to either of those.
Excelsior (smack) wrote:(And honestly, what do you mean by "16 defined ones"? Watch, as I literally define a binary boolean operator before your eyes: f(00) = 0; f(01) = 1; f(10) = 0; f(11) = 0. Lo and behold, I have defined what Wikipedia calls "converse nonimplication"! If it makes you happier, imagine that I did that for each of the operations before you received the set.)
Just because you can define it doesn't mean it is conventionally defined. This can result in a bonus part being misleading or confusing to players.
Excelsior (smack) wrote:For :capybara: 's sake, Cody, I'm not claiming that the science was excellent, or even just decent, but try to keep your criticisms rooted in reality.
Fair enough.

Here is a different example:
Packet 14, Bonus 5 wrote:In frontier orbital theory, this molecular orbital would be the LUMO of a carbon-carbon single bond. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this antibonding molecular orbital, formed from the head-on overlap of two atomic orbitals, which could be s orbitals.
ANSWER: sigma (2s) star [accept equivalents for star like asterisk]
[10] This type of substance is characterized by having a low-energy LUMO, since that corresponds to being a good electron-pair acceptor. Boron trifluoride is one example of them.
ANSWER: Lewis acid [prompt on “acids”]
[10] On the periodic table, boron is classified as one of these elements. They fall along the dividing line between the transition metals and the nonmetals, and often are good semiconductors. Arsenic and antimony are also of this type.
ANSWER: metalloids <AS>
You may potentially learn sigma star in AP Chem, but it's still much too hard for a hard part.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Kafkaesque
Lulu

Post by Kafkaesque »

Overall, I enjoyed the set and found its difficulty to be mostly appropriate. I also liked the new (at least, new to me) science problems that required one to have real knowledge of the subject. A pertinent example was the bonus part that provided a few chemicals in solution and asked if a precipitate would form and (if yes) what that precipitate would be (the answer was AgCl--a commonly asked about precipitate in AP Chem). Like someone else said, however, I thought the probability "problem" was ridiculously simple; it should have been a little tougher (especially since "independence" seemed like the clear easy part).

One real gripe I had about the set was its mediocre trash questions. While at NAQT States I heard a variety of toss-ups on relevant modern films and television shows (I won't mention them because I'm not sure if the set is clear), BHSAT had relatively few good trash questions. A lot of the trash seemed like conglomerations of various films/shows (like the annoying "applause" toss-up) rather than in-depth questions about specific shows. I much prefer the latter format--but maybe that's just me. I would have loved to hear some toss-ups on Breaking Bad, Homeland, Girls, etc., but instead I had to endure unfun toss-ups like the one whose answer, ironically, was "fun." Two notable exceptions to this complaint were the Mean Girls bonus and the Stark toss-up (though "Game of Thrones" might have been a more appropriate answer line).
Mason Hale
Loudoun County '14
Harvard '18
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Kafkaesque wrote:While at NAQT States I heard a variety of toss-ups on relevant modern films and television shows (I won't mention them because I'm not sure if the set is clear)
It's not, so thanks for your patience. I'll post a discussion thread for this year's NAQT sets when they are clear (expect mid-June).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Kafkaesque
Lulu

Post by Kafkaesque »

Oh, I just thought of something. Did anyone else notice the excessive length of many of the bonuses? I accidentally interrupted the moderator more than a few times during the tournament as a result of their long-winded nature. During most matches, we found ourselves sitting there shocked at the length of some presumably easy bonus parts ("Here's a giveaway clue. Now let me tell you a lot more about it!").
Mason Hale
Loudoun County '14
Harvard '18
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Kafkaesque wrote:One real gripe I had about the set was its mediocre trash questions. While at NAQT States I heard a variety of toss-ups on relevant modern films and television shows (I won't mention them because I'm not sure if the set is clear), BHSAT had relatively few good trash questions. A lot of the trash seemed like conglomerations of various films/shows (like the annoying "applause" toss-up) rather than in-depth questions about specific shows. I much prefer the latter format--but maybe that's just me. I would have loved to hear some toss-ups on Breaking Bad, Homeland, Girls, etc., but instead I had to endure unfun toss-ups like the one whose answer, ironically, was "fun." Two notable exceptions to this complaint were the Mean Girls bonus and the Stark toss-up (though "Game of Thrones" might have been a more appropriate answer line).
I don't believe that "trash questions on relevant modern films and television shows" can be equated to "good trash questions." (In fact, in my personal opinion the sphere of pop culture questions in NAQT is somewhat limited; we wanted to ask about things that high school kids can be fans of which aren't necessarily the hippest or newest thing out there.) I'm also unsure what, if anything, was structurally wrong with these questions themselves besides the lack of answer lines that are of interest to you; "common link" tossups (in which clues on one thing from multiple works are arranged from harder to easier, such as the "applause" and "fun" questions) are a staple of the game and are not worse in and of themselves.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

While trash is being discussed, I thought the trash was fine -- things like "tossup on trash lit masquerading as real lit" are fun (as long as they're in packet 3, not the playoffs -- thanks for abiding by this!). The blood cell trash bonus was truly inspired, and was thoroughly enjoyed in my room. I liked the beef tossup, it was well done. I liked the spy bonus theme, but felt that the Archer prompt could have more clues (it's gettable, but it feels kinda bland. Tactical turtlenecks?). The news anchor bonus was also great.

I fear the Buffy bonus might juuust be stretching the bounds of age -- I'm not sure if it's syndicated much right now, which would hurt high schoolers more than it would college players (who I imagine have more ability and have had more time to Netflix it). I feel pretty confident in saying that Buffy's a good middle part with Avengers as the easy, but asking for a minor character from episodes in the year 2000 feels harsh for high schoolers that were probably 2 when it first aired.

The slow clap tossup was awkward. It's probably not concrete enough of a "thing" to ask for. Almost all of the creative, common-linky questions in this set, trash or otherwise, were converted well, but this one didn't have the feel that the other ones did. I think a better giveaway might help?

Thoughts on other categories later.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Kafkaesque
Lulu

Post by Kafkaesque »

Common link trash toss-ups are fine, but I felt that their concentration was a bit too high at this tournament. I didn't notice as many questions of this kind in other categories; it seemed to be over-used in the trash category.

Also, I didn't say there was anything structurally wrong with these questions. A question can be perfect structurally (with good pyramidality and appropriate clues) and still be bland. I'd take a toss-up on M. Night Shyamalan over beef any day because it just seems more fun. And isn't that what the trash category is about? I think a disappointment with answer lines (especially "applause") is a valid criticism.

Fun is subjective, of course, so not everyone will share my opinion. But I will say that I enjoyed the trash at NAQT States more than I did at this tournament.

Aside from this (personal) gripe, however, I really enjoyed the tournament and thought Yale did a great job.
Mason Hale
Loudoun County '14
Harvard '18
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Post by Euler's Constant »

Overall I enjoyed the set. The one thing that got on my nerves was the repeated minor categories in some rounds. If I'm remembering correctly the only two canadian history questions were in the same packet, and two name the language toss ups (german and chinese) were back to back. Also it seemed like the math questions were written with a bigger focus on application than theory making them much harder than needed, especially when considering the fact that most high schools don't have higher level math courses let alone science courses that use post BC calc material.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Saint Joseph('s) High School (IN) '13
Yale '17
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

in on these shenanigans wrote:I fear the Buffy bonus might juuust be stretching the bounds of age -- I'm not sure if it's syndicated much right now, which would hurt high schoolers more than it would college players (who I imagine have more ability and have had more time to Netflix it). I feel pretty confident in saying that Buffy's a good middle part with Avengers as the easy, but asking for a minor character from episodes in the year 2000 feels harsh for high schoolers that were probably 2 when it first aired.
I think it's on LOGO sometimes.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
wbarrett
Kimahri

Post by wbarrett »

I generally enjoyed playing this set, and thought it had some well placed creative but not outlandish answer lines. However, one thing that I noticed was that the bonuses in the second half of the 5th round did not match the difficulty of the other bonuses. We played IMSA that round, and while they are a very good team with a high conversion rate, it felt like they were 30ing every bonus in that half partly because of the relative easiness of the questions. With hard parts like "Washington Crossing the Delaware" and "epinephrine" where "its namesake pen" was a clue, the difficulty really trailed off and felt like an outlier in a set of otherwise appropriate bonus answer lines.

Overall, I thought this was a good and well written set, so thank you very much.
Wilson Barrett
St. Joseph HS '14
South Bend, IN
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

The 2013 BHSAT set is now publicly posted here. Jeff has now moved the threads from the subforum into general discussion so the set can be discussed publicly.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF