Maggie Walker Spring Tournament [Richmond, VA] (5/18/2013)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Kyuuan Era
Lulu

Maggie Walker Spring Tournament [Richmond, VA] (5/18/2013)

Post by Kyuuan Era »

We are pleased to announce that we will be hosting a mirror of Hunter’s Prison Bowl VI set on May 18, 2013 at Maggie L. Walker Governor's School. Our school’s address is 1000 N. Lombardy Street, Richmond, VA 23220. A field cap will be determined once we have a better idea of the number of staffers. This tournament should be an excellent set for teams to prepare for HSNCT or PACE, as well as for teams not attending nationals to close out the regular season. Feel free to contact me at gsacdirector AT gmail DOT com or kvnyuan AT yahoo DOT com, or post any questions/comments.

QUESTIONS:

This tournament will be using the Prison Bowl VI set, written by the Hunter College High School Quizbowl Team. More information about this set can be found here.

Please send me an e-mail at gsacdirector AT gmail DOT com with:
1. Your school
2. Number of teams/buzzers/moderators you will be bringing
3. Name, e-mail address, and a phone number which can be reached on the day of the tournament

FEE STRUCTURE:

Base Fee: $70 per team
Functional Buzzer Discount: $5
Travel Discount (200+ miles traveled): $10
Staff Discount (please only volunteer a competent staffer): $10
Minimum Fee: $50
Kevin Yuan
Maggie Walker ('14)
Georgetown ('18)
Kyuuan Era
Lulu

Re: Maggie Walker Spring Tournament [Richmond, VA] (5/18/2013)

Post by Kyuuan Era »

Current Field (Teams/Buzzers/Staffers):
Clover Hill (2/2/0)
Collegiate (1/1/0)
Freeman (1/1/2)
GDS (1/2/0)
Gonzaga (1/0/1)
Loudoun County (1/1/0)
Monty Blazers (1/1/0)
New Kent (2/0/0)
Richard Montgomery (2/2/0)
St. Anselm's (1/0/0)
Western Albemarle (1/1/0)

Total: (14/11/3)
Last edited by Kyuuan Era on Thu May 16, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Kevin Yuan
Maggie Walker ('14)
Georgetown ('18)
tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

Would you guys consider moving the date at all? I think some DC area teams are hesitant of signing up for this because of the possibility of being in the It's Academic final on that day. I know that it may be too late to change the date and that your school may not allow this to run on another day, but seeing as there are currently no teams in the field and there being the very real possibility that teams like TJ, Richard Montgomery, Blair and probably others may miss this because of It's Ac finals, it seems like it may be a good idea to think about switching dates. It would be a shame for this tournament to not have a full field considering the quality of the set and that this will probably be the last regular season tournament of the year before nationals.
Thomas Gaddy
Montgomery Blair High School '13
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

I second that--and as a bit of friendly trash talk to Blair, we will try our hardest to make sure you can attend this tournament.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

tgaddy wrote:Would you guys consider moving the date at all? I think some DC area teams are hesitant of signing up for this because of the possibility of being in the It's Academic final on that day. I know that it may be too late to change the date and that your school may not allow this to run on another day, but seeing as there are currently no teams in the field and there being the very real possibility that teams like TJ, Richard Montgomery, Blair and probably others may miss this because of It's Ac finals, it seems like it may be a good idea to think about switching dates. It would be a shame for this tournament to not have a full field considering the quality of the set and that this will probably be the last regular season tournament of the year before nationals.
To be fair, the tapings on the 18th will affect a total of five teams: three from the DC area, one from Central Virginia, and one from the Baltimore area. As long as there's no issue with entering when the tournament is a little less than a week away, I don't see this as being a significant detractor from tournament attendance.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

Yes, but like I said earlier there are currently no teams signed up for a tournament less than a month away. It is very possible that more than two of those 5 teams would come to this tournament if it was on another day. At this point I think the more good teams that can come to this the better. Either way, it was simply a suggestion for helping this tournament attract more teams. If this tournament doesn't change date, Raynor, then I'm not sure if I would be happy or sad about that.
Thomas Gaddy
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

I am fairly certain there is at least one team signed up for this, but that Kevin just hasn't posted an update yet.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
alinktothefuture
Lulu

Post by alinktothefuture »

There are no teams registered for this; the most we have gotten is an expression of interest. If this is your team, and you think you are registered, please send Kevin an email with the information requested in the announcement.

The only other possible date this could be run is May 11, and there are no guarantees there with regards to securing our building. No other dates other than these two are an option. Consider that May 11 is in the middle of the AP testing period, so unless you are promising that everyone in the DC area will blow off studying to come play quizbowl in Richmond, that date does not seem any more convenient necessarily. Additionally, as Mr. Gilbert said, there could be at most five teams affected by the It's Academic final. There wouldn't be a great deal of harm in getting your registrations in now and dropping later on if you need to go play It's Academic.

If you would like to play this tournament (and are not TJ or Blair, who we've got down as preferring 5/11), please post in this thread to give us an idea of which date would be more likely to secure your attendance. We will look into the May 11 option if a significant number of teams express a desire to play this on that date, but that has not happened yet. If it is going to happen, it will need to happen soon.
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
Maggie Walker '13 | MIT '17, '2X
Kafkaesque
Lulu

Post by Kafkaesque »

Loudoun County plans to attend this tournament, and the original date works better for us.
Mason Hale
Loudoun County '14
Harvard '18
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

We have an It's Ac taping on the 11th along with the one on the 18th, which is also the day after prom. Sundays, though, are great for us!
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Original day would be best for me/Western Albemarle, and Sundays also work fine here, though I understand any hesitancy about putting the date on a Sunday. I would only be going if it were that weekend though, since I won't be able to go during the AP frenzy.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

No entries a month prior to a tournament isn't uncommon any more. Once upon a time, we entered and sent checks via snail mail, and entering a month in advance was normal. Now, I have trouble figuring out who can attend an event even a week before it occurs. I expect you'll have a better idea how many teams you'll have a couple weeks prior.
Willmune Sof Burrghtenstein wrote:...along with the one on the 18th....
You guys have a great team, but isn't this getting ahead of yourselves just a bit?
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

I (and the rest of the RM team) would prefer a different day - I personally would want a Sunday because of baseball, but I understand if that's impossible. The 18th is both a possible It's Ac taping day and the morning after our prom, which puts the chances at near-nothing that we would go on that day.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Kyuuan Era
Lulu

Post by Kyuuan Era »

Considering the possible dates, we will be sticking with the original date for this tournament (Saturday, May 18th). However, in order for this tournament to occur, we will need more teams to sign up as soon as possible.
Kevin Yuan
Maggie Walker ('14)
Georgetown ('18)
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

There's a good chance we'll be able to get together a team or two of extremely-sleepy post-prom upperclassmen, I'll get a registration in within the next 5-7 days.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
geowzrd
Lulu

Post by geowzrd »

Woodgrove expresses interest, and the 18th will work best for us.
Christopher Miller
Woodgrove '13
William and Mary '17
tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

I think a Blair team with at least me and maybe a couple teammates might also be able to make it. I'll know for sure by the end of the week.
Thomas Gaddy
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Post by Off To See The Lizard »

Walter Johnson expresses interest as well. Can't get a confirmed registration this early though
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Longstride
Lulu

Post by Longstride »

Two logistical question:
- What time will the tournament start? (Every moment of extra sleep will count for our prom-recovering players)

- Will breakfast be provided as it was at GSAC?
Venu Katta
Clover Hill High School '13
College of William & Mary '17

"Having hit a wall, the next logical step is to not bang our heads against it." - Stephen Harper
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Quick question, is there a solo discount for this tournament? Western Albemarle S (solo) would like to play this, but also wants to save money for HSNCT and NASAT expenses.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Kyuuan Era
Lulu

Post by Kyuuan Era »

A field cap of 12 teams will now be put in place.

Longstride wrote:Two logistical question:
- What time will the tournament start? (Every moment of extra sleep will count for our prom-recovering players)
- Will breakfast be provided as it was at GSAC?
We are planning on having registration run from 8:00 to 8:45, and having the first match start at around 9:00. Also, we currently have no plans of providing breakfast.
Einhard wrote:Quick question, is there a solo discount for this tournament? Western Albemarle S (solo) would like to play this, but also wants to save money for HSNCT and NASAT expenses.
I will ask Dr. Barnes on Monday, and get back to you ASAP.
Kevin Yuan
Maggie Walker ('14)
Georgetown ('18)
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

We lost our taping so (depending on if im running the mile at regionals) there might me an OM presence. I'll let you know by wednesdayish
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Mr. Joyboy wrote:We lost our taping so (depending on if im running the mile at regionals) there might me an OM presence. I'll let you know by wednesdayish
Never mind, I'm running the mile.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Kyuuan Era
Lulu

Post by Kyuuan Era »

We have reached the cap of 12 teams, so a wait list will be started from now on. If there is sufficient interest, there is a possibility of expanding to 16 teams.
Kevin Yuan
Maggie Walker ('14)
Georgetown ('18)
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Kyuuan Era wrote:We have reached the cap of 12 teams, so a wait list will be started from now on. If there is sufficient interest, there is a possibility of expanding to 16 teams.
May I ask, with all due respect, why you're capping the field at 12? With 5 outside staffers and a very large in-house team of potential readers/scorekeepers, I guess I'm confused as to what could be the limiting factor here.

Either way, we'll probably be registering 1 or 2 teams (for the waitlist if necessary) within a couple days.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

jonathanmarx wrote:
Kyuuan Era wrote:We have reached the cap of 12 teams, so a wait list will be started from now on. If there is sufficient interest, there is a possibility of expanding to 16 teams.
May I ask, with all due respect, why you're capping the field at 12? With 5 outside staffers and a very large in-house team of potential readers/scorekeepers, I guess I'm confused as to what could be the limiting factor here.

Either way, we'll probably be registering 1 or 2 teams (for the waitlist if necessary) within a couple days.
This. Put one Western Albemarle solo team on the waitlist as well.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Kyuuan Era
Lulu

Post by Kyuuan Era »

We decided on the field cap based on preliminary interest levels and registrations, and the limited amount of in-house staffers who will be available on the tournament date. Expanding to 16 teams is becoming more likely to occur, though we just want to make sure that we can secure enough staffers to run the tournament as smoothly as possible.
Kevin Yuan
Maggie Walker ('14)
Georgetown ('18)
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Kyuuan Era wrote:We decided on the field cap based on preliminary interest levels and registrations, and the limited amount of in-house staffers who will be available on the tournament date. Expanding to 16 teams is becoming more likely to occur, though we just want to make sure that we can secure enough staffers to run the tournament as smoothly as possible.
I can be there with UVA's buzzer set.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Kyuuan Era wrote:We decided on the field cap based on preliminary interest levels and registrations, and the limited amount of in-house staffers who will be available on the tournament date. Expanding to 16 teams is becoming more likely to occur, though we just want to make sure that we can secure enough staffers to run the tournament as smoothly as possible.
Similarly, we may be able to rustle up a staffer if we won't be able to get off the waitlist otherwise, I just need to know by today or tomorrow.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Anything on this? We can do either 1 team or 2 teams depending on what's easiest for you guys - we just want to get to play this set somehow.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Kyuuan Era
Lulu

Post by Kyuuan Era »

We will be expanding to a 16 team field cap.
Kevin Yuan
Maggie Walker ('14)
Georgetown ('18)
Kyuuan Era
Lulu

Post by Kyuuan Era »

Congratulations to Richard Montgomery A for placing first after an advantaged final against Western Albemarle!

Thank you to all teams for coming to our tournament, and to all of the staffers who helped make this tournament possible.

All stats can be found here:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1404
Kevin Yuan
Maggie Walker ('14)
Georgetown ('18)
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

We hope you all enjoyed the set! For comments and other discussion, head on over to the Prison Bowl VI discussion group under the usergroup tab in the User Control Panel.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE