HSQBRank 2012-2013: No, I do not mean HSA Bank

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: HSQBRank 2012-2013: No, I do not mean HSA Bank

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've also listed every single team - all 1500+ - by their best aPPB here. This is not an official ranking. I just thought it'd be a good way to see a kind of snapshot of where, roughly, each team stands, including teams from less notable states.

Best aPPB from one team from each state, where possible:

Alabama - Spain Park A, 103
Arizona - Desert Vista A, 97
Arkansas - Parkview Arts and Science A, 849
California - Arcadia A, 10 (though this is probably really Bellarmine A)
Connecticut - Newtown A, 106
Delaware - Wilmington Charter A, 13
Florida - Pensacola A, 181
Georgia - Norcross A, 12
Idaho - Treasure Valley Math & Science A, 166
Illinois - Loyola A, 2
Indiana - St. Joseph A, 25
Iowa - Sioux City Heelan B, 662
Kansas - Wichita East B, 912
Kentucky - duPont Manual A, 32
Louisiana - Jesuit A, 82
Maryland - Montgomery Blair A, 7
Massachusetts - Lexington A, 108
Michigan - Detroit Catholic Central A, 6
Minnesota - Wayzata A, 19
Mississippi - St. Andrew's A, 120
Missouri - Ladue A, 1
Nebraska - South Sioux City A, 1549
New Hampshire - Hanover A, 84
New Jersey - St. Joseph A, 28
New York - Hunter A, 17
North Carolina - East Chapel Hill A, 18
North Dakota - West Fargo B, 459
Ohio - Northmont A, 24
Oklahoma - Edmond Memorial A, 290
Pennsylvania - State College A, 56
South Carolina - Dorman A, 5
South Dakota - Brandon Valley B, 344
Tennessee - Ezell-Harding A, 44
Texas - Cistercian A, 3
Vermont - South Burlington A, 145
Virginia - Thomas Jefferson A, 17
West Virginia - George Washington A, 193
Wisconsin - Stoughton A, 180
Fred Morlan
Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad
Wakka

Post by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad »

Many thanks for all the work you're doing, Fred.
Cistercian "A" - 2nd place, 5th place, 3rd place -- whichever it is
isn't really that big a deal.
When we all come together at Nationals, things will sort themselves
out -- as they always do.
Cistercian "B" and Cistercian "C" are also pretty happy to see where
they stack up, too.
So, once again, thanks for all the work!
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cistercian Preparatory School Team
The only Monk on this whole board
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

New rankings will be up in about an hour.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Is there going to be another big PPB compilation soon, or will that be after another set of rankings?
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Minor little quibble, but in case my school administration sees and gets livid, it's Western Albemarle without the "r" in the middle. Also, still baffled as to how playing no tournaments as a team except VHSL for the last 6 months can have us ranked, but I'll take it I suppose.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I fixed that (and the bold tag that wasn't closed). If any administrators actually freaked out about that, then kindly ask them to stare at an Excel sheet of data for about 6 hours total, and then to type anything reliably.
Fred Morlan
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

If any school's administration ever looks at these, then you deserve a Gatorade shower.
And for said administration, my question is, shouldn't you be spending your time on something that's, you know, loosely related to what you're actually paid to do?

Also, AGH now I want to win more matches in order to immortalize my team in the hearts and minds of quizbowlers worldwide.
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Oh, hey, look, that wasn't my 'the Internet is serious business' voice, that was my 'semi-sarcastic and aimed at showing how I don't place more stock in these rankings than anyone should, and furthermore, look how much of a light-hearted and generally OK and fun guy I can be when the situation warrants it' voice. You must have gotten them mixed up! Sorry for the confusion!
James Zetterman

Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

I'm going to call for some increased decorum in this thread before rules-skirting becomes something I need to start issuing warnings about.

To take off the moderator hat for a second, I think a large part of the worth of the excellent work Fred is doing here is to give teams something to show to their administrators when they're trying to get money and/or permission to do things, so wanting your name correct is an eminently reasonable if perhaps not super urgent concern. I always make sure to correct school names and locations on the pages of PACE's site I'm involved in updating if someone mentions an inaccuracy to me in keeping with the same philosophy.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

thyringe_supine wrote:Oh, hey, look, that wasn't my 'the Internet is serious business' voice, that was my 'semi-sarcastic and aimed at showing how I don't place more stock in these rankings than anyone should, and furthermore, look how much of a light-hearted and generally OK and fun guy I can be when the situation warrants it' voice. You must have gotten them mixed up! Sorry for the confusion!
I mean, my concern really wasn't about my position at all (I'm shocked to even be ranked), but just to make sure our school sees our name spelled correctly if I ever have to show them our ranking to get funding for either national tournament, neither of which we are currently going to right now. Carbondale doesn't have that problem I don't think, and hopefully within a couple of years I'll be able to get ample funding so that I won't have to show anyone these rankings either (not that these rankings aren't amazing, and I appreciate all the work that Fred puts into them).
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Einhard wrote:I mean, my concern really wasn't about my position at all (I'm shocked to even be ranked), but just to make sure our school sees our name spelled correctly if I ever have to show them our ranking to get funding for either national tournament, neither of which we are currently going to right now. Carbondale doesn't have that problem I don't think, and hopefully within a couple of years I'll be able to get ample funding so that I won't have to show anyone these rankings either (not that these rankings aren't amazing, and I appreciate all the work that Fred puts into them).
You're cool; it's a legit request and there's nothing wrong with making it. I apologize if I came off as overly flippant.

I hope it does help you get funding; that's a secondary goal of running them.
Fred Morlan
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Einhard wrote:
thyringe_supine wrote:Oh, hey, look, that wasn't my 'the Internet is serious business' voice, that was my 'semi-sarcastic and aimed at showing how I don't place more stock in these rankings than anyone should, and furthermore, look how much of a light-hearted and generally OK and fun guy I can be when the situation warrants it' voice. You must have gotten them mixed up! Sorry for the confusion!
I mean, my concern really wasn't about my position at all (I'm shocked to even be ranked), but just to make sure our school sees our name spelled correctly if I ever have to show them our ranking to get funding for either national tournament, neither of which we are currently going to right now. Carbondale doesn't have that problem I don't think, and hopefully within a couple of years I'll be able to get ample funding so that I won't have to show anyone these rankings either (not that these rankings aren't amazing, and I appreciate all the work that Fred puts into them).
No . . .
I wasn't directing that at you.
Fred wrote:
Einhard wrote:I mean, my concern really wasn't about my position at all (I'm shocked to even be ranked), but just to make sure our school sees our name spelled correctly if I ever have to show them our ranking to get funding for either national tournament, neither of which we are currently going to right now. Carbondale doesn't have that problem I don't think, and hopefully within a couple of years I'll be able to get ample funding so that I won't have to show anyone these rankings either (not that these rankings aren't amazing, and I appreciate all the work that Fred puts into them).
You're cool; it's a legit request and there's nothing wrong with making it. I apologize if I came off as overly flippant.

Also, I don't exactly see how showing school administrators your position in these rankings will realistically net your program more funding. For one, at what opportunity would you present them with it? Do you go and email it to them or something? Also, even if they do see them, how do you explain to them that it actually matters? In my experience, achievements that impress non-quizbowl players are almost never the ones that you're actually proud of.
Besides, even if your school does give cash on a merit basis, they shouldn't be doing it based on this. While it's a good tool and very well done, pretty much any sort of statistics project like this is, at least to me, worth next-to-nothing compared to actual games and tournament finishes.
James Zetterman

Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

I could refer them to the rankings on the main HSQB rank website and show that we've been making improvements through the year and deserve to have the chance to compete at a national event at all, for one matter. They've hardly been impressed by any type of VHSL or other tournament results we've shown them, so maybe something a little bigger than that would change their minds. It's not even an issue of obtaining funding (seeing as we get none for non-VHSL events) as it is an issue of getting any kind of permission at all, as they won't even provide liability coverage for our coach to come with us on a potential NSC trip. I was just hoping some extra legitimacy might be helpful and regardless of how you feel about these rankings, school administrators do like seeing them. I would personally love nothing more than to just show tournament finishes, but that's not really working.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

But my question would be how you can effectively communicate to non-quizbowlers that they should care, and, you know, that you're not making this whole thing up.
James Zetterman

Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Links? Giving them emails of people within the community? School prestige? Trying to convey to them my love of the game and its importance? I do my best :) Sorry for thread derail though, this is supposed to be a rankings page.....
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

thyringe_supine wrote:
Einhard wrote:
No . . .
I wasn't directing that at you.
Fred wrote:

Also, I don't exactly see how showing school administrators your position in these rankings will realistically net your program more funding. For one, at what opportunity would you present them with it? Do you go and email it to them or something? Also, even if they do see them, how do you explain to them that it actually matters? In my experience, achievements that impress non-quizbowl players are almost never the ones that you're actually proud of.
Besides, even if your school does give cash on a merit basis, they shouldn't be doing it based on this. While it's a good tool and very well done, pretty much any sort of statistics project like this is, at least to me, worth next-to-nothing compared to actual games and tournament finishes.
I've been told a few times that it actually has got teams funding.
Fred Morlan
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

thyringe_supine wrote:But my question would be how you can effectively communicate to non-quizbowlers that they should care, and, you know, that you're not making this whole thing up.
I think he's probably got a pretty good start by not being a complete idiot who always posts complete crap on HSQB.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

SirT wrote:
thyringe_supine wrote:But my question would be how you can effectively communicate to non-quizbowlers that they should care, and, you know, that you're not making this whole thing up.
I think he's probably got a pretty good start by not being a complete idiot who always posts complete crap on HSQB.
Zing!
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Well, if you feel jumping the bureaucracy like that isn't probably going to blow up in your face somehow, then go for it. However, while I don't have much to back this up with, my guess is that in most cases, particularly with public schools, success and funding do not go hand-in-hand like we sometimes wish they would. So, basically, my impression is that in such maneuvers, your mileage may vary. A lot.

@Fred Huh. Maybe I should try it. I don't know.
SirT wrote:
If you have beef with me, please don't pollute this thread with expression of said beef.
James Zetterman

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

thyringe_supine wrote:
SirT wrote:
If you have beef with me, please don't pollute this thread with expression of said beef.
What's the best way to reach you?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

thyringe_supine wrote:
SirT wrote:
As opposed to all the non-polluting of threads you are currently engaged in?

Seriously, why are you giving people advice? You have no idea what you are talking about and are only muddling the issue.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

hsqb is a beef-free zone
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

No more metaposting.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

In an attempt to continue an actual topic of discussion:
thyringe_supine wrote:Well, if you feel jumping the bureaucracy like that isn't probably going to blow up in your face somehow, then go for it. However, while I don't have much to back this up with, my guess is that in most cases, particularly with public schools, success and funding do not go hand-in-hand like we sometimes wish they would. So, basically, my impression is that in such maneuvers, your mileage may vary. A lot.

@Fred Huh. Maybe I should try it. I don't know.
Not only school administrations; local companies are often willing to provide some sort of limited sponsorship (often, the kind of people running them are into the qb idea/ethos anyways) or funding for things like this. The same concerns about spelling etc. stand.

Major props to Fred for providing a "legitimizing" service.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Quick thought: If teams use these rankings as a way to get noticed or get funding (which by all means they should do), it might help to convey somewhere on the rankings site that Fred is a "noted authority" on high school quiz bowl. Anyone who has any knowledge of the national quiz bowl scene knows Fred is legit, but say I'm John Q. Highschoolprincipal from Smalltown High (Go Smalltown Wildcats! Beat the Crosstown Rival High Bulldogs!) and this upstart "academic team" comes to me saying, "This website has us ranked as the n-th best academic team in the country, ahead of other high schools with words like 'Charter' and 'Academy' in their name, so can we have some money to go to tournaments?" I would be more likely consider their request if I knew (or was convinced) that the person compiling these rankings came from some place of expertise and/or authority. Perhaps a page on the rankings site titled, "Why I know what I'm talking about" or something nicer. Or someone in a position of authority affiliated with an organization that's legit enough to be known by an acronym can bestow Fred with a title or recognize his contributions to quiz bowl.
Rachel
UChicago 09
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:Quick thought: If teams use these rankings as a way to get noticed or get funding (which by all means they should do), it might help to convey somewhere on the rankings site that Fred is a "noted authority" on high school quiz bowl. Anyone who has any knowledge of the national quiz bowl scene knows Fred is legit, but say I'm John Q. Highschoolprincipal from Smalltown High (Go Smalltown Wildcats! Beat the Crosstown Rival High Bulldogs!) and this upstart "academic team" comes to me saying, "This website has us ranked as the n-th best academic team in the country, ahead of other high schools with words like 'Charter' and 'Academy' in their name, so can we have some money to go to tournaments?" I would be more likely consider their request if I knew (or was convinced) that the person compiling these rankings came from some place of expertise and/or authority. Perhaps a page on the rankings site titled, "Why I know what I'm talking about" or something nicer. Or someone in a position of authority affiliated with an organization that's legit enough to be known by an acronym can bestow Fred with a title or recognize his contributions to quiz bowl.
We could also just have Fred put the equivalent of his forum signature on an "about us" page.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I updated this page to include actual information about me.
Fred Morlan
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

RIghtly or wrongly, rankings have always mattered. Look at the BCS polling if you don't agree. I can tell you from my personal experience in the outrageously well-funded quiz bowl Mecca of Alabama that EVERYTHING changed for Hoover when we cracked the top 50 in the rankings. Not only did the team itself get a big morale boost from seeing that someone, for some reason, somewhere, thought that they were good enough to be considered among the nation's best, but it also directly translated to increased funding for our program--I was able to go to my principal and say, "Listen, we've been winning some things here in Alabama, but here's evidence that we are getting good enough to play on the NATIONAL level. It costs a lot of money to do that. If we qualify, how about matching our fundraising for a trip to Nationals in Chicago to see how we do? It would look awfully good for our school to come back with a strong performance." He gave us an extra $1000 that year. The next year, we managed through luck and a great team to finish in first or second place after the prelim rounds at HSAPQ. When I sent him a picture of that, our budget went up by a thousand dollars a year permanently. AND we got a new buzzer system to replace our aging one. And a pep rally when we won state the next year. That led to our local congressman actually recognizing the team, and offering to help us out with the next trip, and local businesses becoming more interested in sponsoring us.

There are two ways to fund a quizbowl team--fundraising like crazy, or having parents pay for everything. As a public school teacher, I much prefer the former, but I despise fundraising by asking people to buy cookie dough or something like that. Having a high ranking for a year or two let us get away from a lot of that, gave us more visibility in our community, and increased our fundraising through other sources. I'd say that means that I owe Fred a beer at some point, if he ever finds me at HSNCT to collect.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I just updated the rankings again, though new info was only included from the tournament I ran Saturday, the ACF Regionals part of the Texas Invitational, and the NAQT Missouri Qualifier. I also posted current difficulty adjustments.

I suppose I could try emailing principals of schools that are ranked to tell them about that; my concern with doing that before has been that, while I think the rankings do a good job of objectively looking at data and determining who will do well at nationals, they're not perfect and can't predict exactly what will happen at national tournaments. I don't want them on a pedestal; the whole point of nationals is so teams can play each other and determine who is actually better.

I can't guarantee that, say, Norcross actually is the 14th best team in the country rather than it being Maggie Walker A. I just wanted to give teams some recognition while also keeping an eye on the difficulty of high school sets (which remains a primary goal of doing this).

Anyways, I'll take feedback & public discussion on the "contacting people about their school's ranking" thing. If individual teams want to opt out, I'd be happy to work with them as well, of course.

Edit: I do know of a few other teams that have benefited financially with their school from the rankings. I know that I can make PR from this a full time deal, just because of other obligations in my life. Obviously, other obligations that keep me from doing other things like updating every week or including more than 50 teams regularly are also going to keep me from emailing lots of schools as well.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'll also admit that a potential downside to trying to make this more of a thing is additional pressure/drama from it, which would make me far less likely to want to do it.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

So, wait, a team doesn't have the [UR] label or whatever unless they've never been featured at all? Perhaps for teams who have been in the top 50 at some point, but aren't any more, could you put the highest they've been ranked at all?

It's currently slightly confusing.
James Zetterman

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

thyringe_supine wrote:
So, wait, a team doesn't have the [UR] label or whatever unless they've never been featured at all? Perhaps for teams who have been in the top 50 at some point, but aren't any more, could you put the highest they've been ranked at all?

It's currently slightly confusing.
Those show the previous week's ranking; I'm considering this ranking an extension of the previous update, not a whole new set of rankings (note no one in the top 50 actually changed position). I could change those to be the exact same as their current rank, but I'm not going to.
Fred Morlan
Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad
Wakka

Post by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad »

For those interested in the results of the NAQT St. Mark's Tournament
run on Saturday, March 2, 2013 in Dallas, here is the link:

http://www.texasquizbowl.org

It was run on IS-124.

Cistercian "A" beat LASA "A" in a nail-biter in the varsity division;
St. Mark's won the Novice division;
Holy Family won the Middle School Division -- I don't recall what set(s) they used here.

Edit: Better link:http://www.texasquizbowl.org/d/@130302S ... dings.html
Last edited by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cistercian Preparatory School Team
The only Monk on this whole board
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I will not be using the stats from BATE this year. There are too many errors to rely upon them for anything meaningful. Apologies to all the teams affected by this.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Just so everyone is aware: the next set of rankings won't come until May. I'll try to wait until after all non-nationals are done so I can have an extra special set of final rankings. I'll probably call on community help to make sure I don't miss any tournaments, because I haven't updated this since the last post in this thread, and won't until after my finals.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

So: I just finished this semester (thank God). I'm going to get caught back up on the rankings in the near future, though probably not until all tournaments have finished for the regular season. However, since I haven't updated a thing since around the University of Kentucky tournament, I need help making sure I don't miss any stats.

I'll be making a thread in the near future detailing exactly what I need help with and what I need you to do. This will help me make as accurate a set of rankings as I can do.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Decided to just stick it in this thread rather than its own.

Below is the list of tournaments I do have data for. If you see any missing tournaments, please post the name of that tournament and a link to its stats. Note that for a tournament to be able to be put in, it must be a non-JV event that produced a stat report that had, at a bare minimum, reliable PPBs. I typically used the name of the tournament per NAQT or HSQB listings, but it's possible I defaulted to the host name due to lack of information.

Thanks everyone.
  • 2012 Missouri Fall Academic Tournament
    2012 VCU Fall
    8th Hoover Invitational
    ACF at UVA
    ACF Fall at Claremont
    ACF Fall at CMU
    ACF Fall at Harvard
    ACF Fall at NIU
    Agatha Encounter
    Alberta Quizbowl Tournament II
    Alta-Aurelia Invitational
    ANGST
    Arcadia Carnal Embrace
    ASU Lorelei Challenge
    ATLAS I
    ATROPHY
    BAAL Battle of Hastings
    BAAL Horatio Nelson
    Ballard-Eastern Academic Challenge
    Battle of the Burgh
    BENJI
    Bevill State
    Bishop Moore Catholic Challenge
    Blacksburg Academic Invitational
    Bloomington BMI3
    Blue Devil Academic Tournament
    Blue Hen XV
    Bonfire of the Manatees
    Bruno Battle at Arizona St.
    Brush Invitational
    Buffalo Bull Bowl
    C. W. Thornthwaite Tournament
    Cal Classic
    Cavalier Classic XV
    Cave Spring Invitational
    Centennial HS Tournament
    Chapelle HS Fall Tournament
    Collins Hill Season Ender
    Columbia mirror of LIST
    Connecticut Invitational IV
    Cornell Cayuga Championship 5
    Covenant Chrisitan Invitational
    CSWIFT
    Culver Invitational
    Dennis Haskins Open
    Dorman Season Ender
    Eden Prairie EPIC
    Edmond Memorial Bulldog
    EnIAC II
    Florida Gateway High School Open
    Floridian High School
    FUNKADELIC
    GDS LOCKOUT
    Glasgow Academic Invitational
    Glen Gonsalves Memorial
    Golden Eagle Bowl
    Gopher Invitational
    GSAC XX
    Gum a La Poubelle Invitational
    Hallsville Invitational
    Harding Invitational
    Harvard Fall mirror at Auburn
    Harvard Fall Tournament
    HFT at Auburn (competitive)
    Hoover Elite Meet
    Horatio Nelson Memorial Tournament
    Houston Holiday Hoedown V
    Huskie Bowl (Competitive)
    Huskie Bowl (Standard)
    IHOP II
    IHSSBCA Kickoff at Bloomington
    IHSSBCA Kickoff at Greenville
    IHSSBCA Kickoff at Maine South (competitive)
    IHSSBCA Kickoff at Maine South (standard)
    IHSSBCA Kickoff at PORTA
    IHSSBCA Kickoff at Sterling
    IHSSBCA Kickoff at Wheaton North (standard)
    IHSSBCA Kickoff at Wheaton North (upper)
    Illinois Early Bird
    Illinois NAQT State
    INTENSE (Standard)
    INTENSE (Uber-Competitive)
    Jag Bowl VII
    Journey to the East
    KINGPIN
    KPAQT III
    L. L. Lewis Cup
    La Jolla High School Tournament
    Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament
    LIFT XII
    Livingston HS March Madness (prelims only)
    Louisville Spring
    Loyburn
    Loyola Academy Spring Tournament
    Loyola Ultima (Standard)
    Loyola Ultima XV (Competitive)
    Mellon Bowl X
    Metro Richmond Invitational
    Michigan Autumn Classic
    Michigan State March Madness
    Minnesota State Championship
    Missouri Tiger Bowl V (Prelims)
    MIT Fall Tournament
    MITBAT VII
    MOQBA Fall - Kansas City
    MOQBA Fall - Lutheran St. Charles
    MOQBA Fall - Southwest
    MOQBA Winter: Kirksville
    MOQBA Winter: Orchard Farm
    MOQBA Winter: Waynesville
    NAQT Arizona
    NAQT Delaware
    NAQT Eastern Pennsylvania
    NAQT Kentucky
    NAQT Maryland/DC
    NAQT Michigan
    NAQT Missouri
    NAQT New England
    NAQT New Jersey
    NAQT North Florida
    NAQT Northern California
    NAQT Northern Florida Championship
    NAQT Ohio
    NAQT Oklahoma
    NAQT Ontario Provincial Championship
    NAQT South Carolina
    NAQT South Florida State
    NAQT Southern California
    NAQT Upstate New York Championship
    NAQT Vermont State Championship
    NAQT Virginia Championship
    NAQT Washington
    NAQT Western Pennsylvania
    NAQT Wisconsin
    NCATA Championship
    NCIS
    NEGBAIT
    New Albany mirror of FKT
    Newtown High School Invitational
    North Hollywood HS Tournament
    Olmsted Falls Battle Buzz
    Olmsted Falls mirror of FKT
    Ottawa Quizbowl Tournament VIII
    Panther-Ranger Academic Tournament
    Penn State Invitational
    Pre-Holiday Academic Tournament
    Princeton PHSAT XX
    Prison Bowl VI
    QuAC IV at Penn
    Quaker Bowl
    Rice University mirror of IFT
    Rock Bridge WIT
    Rowdy Raider
    Rube Goldberg Invitational X
    Sacramento Area Tournament
    Sacramento Spring Championship
    Seton Hall Pirate Open
    Sidney mirror of FKT
    Siouxper Bowl IX
    Snow CAT
    SOCIAL IX
    South Range Academic Challenge
    Springfield Varsity
    St. Joseph mirror of GSAC
    St. Mark's Invitational
    Stanford IFT mirror
    SWAG I at Westview
    Tar Heel Cup
    Texas Invitational (ACF)
    Texas Invitational NAQT
    Tippecanoe Academic Challenge XVII
    TJIAT
    TPOT II
    TQBA Alamo City
    TQBA Bexar Bowl
    TQBA Bluebonnet
    TQBA Fiesta
    TQBA Kickoff Classic
    TQBA Metroplex
    TQBA Panther Challenge
    TQBA Winter Rodeo
    Treasure Valley Tournament IV
    Triton Fall III
    TRIUMVIR 3
    Truman Bowl
    Tulane BHSAT
    Tulane Fall Tournament
    Tulsa Fall Challenge V
    UK Spring Championship
    UMD IFT
    UNC CaST
    University HS (WV)
    University of Delaware's UD/MSU Fall
    UTC Trevor's Trivia
    Vanderbilt ABC 42
    VCU Season Finale
    VCU Spring
    VCU Winter
    Virginia Tech Spring Invitational
    Wake Forest Brain Summit II
    Warhawk Invitational
    Warren G. Harding Invitational
    West Point Invitational
    West Point Season Ender
    Western NC Shootout
    Westview YOLO
    White Station Quiz Tournament
    William Rufus King Memorial Tournament
    Winter Invitational Tournament
    Winter War 2
    Wisconsin Fall 2012
    WKU Hilltopper Invitational
    WUHASC
    Yale BHSAT XXII
    Yale FAcT VIII
    Yellow Jacket Inviational
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Also: I hope to have the last "big" update of the season up by the end of this week. I'm aware that other events will happen between now and the HSNCT; I'll try to update things with that information as well.

I plan on emailing all coaches in the top X with their ranking as part of a form letter. Hopefully, this would be able to be used by these teams as a way to show off their strength and that they're worthy of financing.
Fred Morlan
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Fred- the Brush tournament was a JV event. A few varsity players played from various teams, but all teams were at least 3/4 of a JV team. Not sure how helpful those will be.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

djones wrote:Fred- the Brush tournament was a JV event. A few varsity players played from various teams, but all teams were at least 3/4 of a JV team. Not sure how helpful those will be.
Thanks; I deleted this. (I also found a couple of duplicate entries (one in Florida, one at La Jolla) which I took care of).
Ben Dillon wrote:Rotary Indiana Championship
http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4573
No usable PPB. Do you have a top secret SQBS file?
Thanks!
Fred Morlan
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

NOHO [HSAPQ #32]
DN-QT [HSAPQ #33]
Also, this year's Torrey Pines tournament was TPOT III, not TPOT II.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Perhaps I just don't see it, Fred: CATT VIII.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Thanks Eddie. I've fixed/added those.
RountreeCHS wrote:Perhaps I just don't see it, Fred: CATT VIII.
Are bouncebacks left in for the PPB calculations?
Fred Morlan