Collegiate Poll: Late Midseason Edition

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Collegiate Poll: Late Midseason Edition

Post by Cheynem »

I will crosspost this on the front page of this site shortly.

This is the official announcement for the collegiate poll, late midseason edition. As explained by Matt Weiner, in the future there will be four of these--preseason, after the fall semester, after SCT/Regionals, and postseason (after the national tournaments). This year, there will only be the SCT/Regionals and postseason polls.

Here are the general guidelines:

1. Fill out a ballot, ranking the top 25 (1 to 25) collegiate teams. You must rank at least 25 teams. No incomplete ballots will be counted.

2. Send the ballots via e-mail to me (chey0004 AT umn DOT edu). I will not accept any ballots sent prior to ACF Regionals completion. I will not count any ballots that are just posted here and in fact I would strongly, strongly urge you not to publicly post your ballots in this thread.

3. You may vote for any collegiate team and any B/C/D team, what have you. Please take some time to be informed about actual B/C team composition (i.e., many teams throughout the year mix up their starting A rosters, so don't be fooled by a particularly strong Michigan B performance if Kurtis is playing on that team, etc.). You may not vote for high school teams. Anyone sending in a ballot that has voted for a high school team will be asked to submit a new ballot. You may vote for community colleges.

4. While I can't force you to adopt a particular voting philosophy, I think Matt Weiner's conception that you are "voting for how this team, at best possible strength, would do at ICT and Nationals." If you think a team would do better at one tournament than the other, than weigh that into your votes. What this means is that you are assuming these teams are playing on hard, Nationals/ICT-level questions, and that you cannot take considerations like "Oh, Team X isn't playing ICT, I'll move them down a spot." Assume everyone is playing and assume they are at full strength. By full strength, I interpret it to mean "the best team they actually played this year." For example, I've played on Minnesota teams this year, but will not be playing ACF Nationals--rank Minnesota as if I were to be playing. On the other hand, Andy Watkins (I think) is at NYU but hasn't played anything for them all year--do not rank Hypothetical Teams. Please do not vote for schools that haven't played any tournaments all year--if some basically retired player is at a school, do not vote for that school just because (I can't think of any offhand, but you know what I mean). On the other hand, you may also vote for effectively one-man teams that did compete at actual tournaments (Georgetown, MCTC) if you believe they fit the criteria for Top 25.

5. Any bizarre ballots will either be rejected or I will ask for some explanation/logic. What I mean by bizarre is just completely ignoring any results that have happened so far and would include: intentionally ignoring a team whose results have suggested they are a major contender (for example, not ranking or ranking very low teams like Penn, Michigan, Virginia), overranking teams based on "gut feelings" (Minnesota is a good team but there is nothing to suggest they are a top 3 team), and overrranking B or C teams based on unsophisticated analysis of the data.

5. Ballots will never be released. I will list the names of the people who vote unless people have a problem with this.

6. Finally, I would encourage all voters to take a little time in drafting a ballot, and especially to look beyond your own geographical region. I would especially urge voters in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and East (where the majority of voters will probably come from) to review the performances of teams in the South, West Coast, Canada, and Southwest.

If anyone has any questions on voting, eligibility guidelines, etc., please post or e-mail.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: Collegiate Poll: Late Midseason Edition

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

How long do people have after ACF Regionals to finish their ballots?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

At least a week. Do you think more than a week is needed?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Cheynem wrote:At least a week. Do you think more than a week is needed?
Probably not; I just think that giving people a hard-fast deadline (i.e. "March 1 at 11:59 PM") will help spur the collection of ballots.

While I'm busy posting, I'd like to encourage people to look at as many empirical stats as they can find when making these ballots; Jacob O'Rourke has done a really good job collecting a lot of them for A teams and the HSQuizbowl stat database will have more for B-teams that aren't to be overlooked. The data is out there.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, I will give a hard deadline when Regionals concludes and I officially declare balloting to be open.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Link to Jacob's statkeeping for convenience: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

RyuAqua wrote:
Probably not; I just think that giving people a hard-fast deadline (i.e. "March 1 at 11:59 PM") will help spur the collection of ballots.

While I'm busy posting, I'd like to encourage people to look at as many empirical stats as they can find when making these ballots; Jacob O'Rourke has done a really good job collecting a lot of them for A teams and the HSQuizbowl stat database will have more for B-teams that aren't to be overlooked. The data is out there.
Yeah, I think it's important for people to look at the actual stats rather than the compiled spreadsheet due to things like Michigan A and Illinois A frequently splitting up their players into two teams. So like, if you went off just SCT stats you might accidentally rank Virginia B ahead of Michigan A even though Evan will probably play on Virginia A and Michigan A should have Kurtis at Nationals.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

gyre and gimble wrote:
RyuAqua wrote:

Yeah, I think it's important for people to look at the actual stats rather than the compiled spreadsheet due to things like Michigan A and Illinois A frequently splitting up their players into two teams. So like, if you went off just SCT stats you might accidentally rank Virginia B ahead of Michigan A even though Evan will probably play on Virginia A and Michigan A should have Kurtis at Nationals.
I do try to keep track of when teams split their A team up (I'm not always successful, though). Stephen does have a point in that looking at the stats is definitely a lot more helpful for determining teams to rank, in my opinion.

EDIT: If anyone knows of instances of when teams split up their A teams that I've missed, please feel free to let me know through a PM or email.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think all the Regionals mirrors are done, so I'm declaring the poll open for business. Please send completed ballots to me via e-mail. If you want to discuss in general rankings or comparisons of teams, you can do that, but I would advise not posting your ballots publicly.

Ballots are due a week from tomorrow, March 4, in the year of our Lord 2013.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

For some reason my computer doesn't want to connect to the Google Doc right now, but last I checked, there were only about 26 teams listed in the summary section. There are a few that I think have legitimate top-25 cases that weren't listed; most notably, some of the stronger B teams (like Chicago's), as well as Dartmouth. This may be fixed by now, but if not, I thought I should bring it up.
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Regionals 2013's missing bonus 20s made me triple-post.
Harrison Brown

ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Will collaborative ballots be accepted?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yes, if the other rules of the ballot are followed.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Fond du lac operon wrote:For some reason my computer doesn't want to connect to the Google Doc right now, but last I checked, there were only about 26 teams listed in the summary section. There are a few that I think have legitimate top-25 cases that weren't listed; most notably, some of the stronger B teams (like Chicago's), as well as Dartmouth. This may be fixed by now, but if not, I thought I should bring it up.
Chicago B, Virginia B and Dartmouth A should definitely be on there. If anyone else has suggestions for top-25 fringe cases, fire away (I think Alberta does, but they are already listed on the Doc).
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Since it's a bit tough to synthesize all of the information in the various sources and glean a complete list of the teams that should be ranked, I'm going to list, in alphabetical order, the teams that I feel deserve mention and consideration in a top-25 conversation. (The idea is that, if you start with this list, you won't leave out anyone meriting consideration.) All teams A except where mentioned. Let me know if you think I missed someone important.

Alabama
Alberta
Berkeley
Brown
Brown B
Carleton
Case Western
Chicago
Chicago B
Chicago C
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
George Mason
Georgia Tech
Harvard
Harvard B
Harvard C
Illinois
Maryland
Maryland B
Michigan
Michigan State
Minneapolis Community & Technial College
Minnesota
MIT
North Carolina
Northwestern
NYU
Ohio State
Ottawa
Penn
Princeton
Rice
RPI
Rutgers
South Carolina
Stanford
Texas A&M
UC San Diego
VCU
Virginia
Virginia B
Williams
Wisconsin
WUSTL
Yale
Yale B
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

theMoMA wrote: Alberta
I've heard rumors that Trevor Davis is in some grad program there; is that true?
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

theMoMA wrote: Minnesota
Northwestern
Hi there.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yes, Trevor "T-Dawg" Davis is at Alberta.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Cheynem wrote:Yes, Trevor "T-Dawg" Davis is at Alberta.
Ok; I know he and Sinan played some tournament a while ago, but I can't seem to find stats from it. Could someone post a link as it's probably the only thing they've played this year?
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

merv1618 wrote:
Cheynem wrote:Yes, Trevor "T-Dawg" Davis is at Alberta.
Ok; I know he and Sinan played some tournament a while ago, but I can't seem to find stats from it. Could someone post a link as it's probably the only thing they've played this year?

This is what you want. It was MIT's mirror of Penn-ance.
Jacob O'Rourke

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

t-bar wrote:
theMoMA wrote: Minnesota
Northwestern
Hi there.
I must have copied over MIT accidentally. Thanks for catching that.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Just quickly glancing at NAQT stats: maybe Case Western? I don't know if Harvard C, Williams, & UNC are as strong at harder stuff as they did at D2, but if they are, perhaps they should be considered.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Truman State should be probably put in that huge list also, as they just took a regs mirror title without their full A team.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Andrew, A&M has no business being anywhere close to ranked. Our A team this year is marginally worse than the team that placed 30th out of 32 at ICT last year.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Fred wrote:Just quickly glancing at NAQT stats: maybe Case Western? I don't know if Harvard C, Williams, & UNC are as strong at harder stuff as they did at D2, but if they are, perhaps they should be considered.
It's worth noting that the North Carolina team at SCT was missing our top player in Natan Holtzman, who was the leading scorer on a top-half NASAT team last year, as well as Peter Schultz who's a pretty solid player as well. I don't know how well we'd do on a Nationals-level set, but our full A team (Natan, Peter, Nick Neuteufel, and me) complements each other well and could make some noise at a regular difficulty tournament; unfortunately, transportation difficulties have prevented us from going to any this year.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Fred wrote:Just quickly glancing at NAQT stats: maybe Case Western? I don't know if Harvard C, Williams, & UNC are as strong at harder stuff as they did at D2, but if they are, perhaps they should be considered.
The Harvard C team that played DII at SCT was the team that's been playing as Harvard B at Penn-ance and VCU Closed, i.e. Will Holub-Moorman, Mark Arildsen, and others.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

theMoMA wrote:andrew hart makes a list blah blah
Let it be known that a certain player for King's College London is coming back across the Atlantic to play ACF Nationals solo, and has played the appropriate British events to prepare...
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

RyuAqua wrote:
Let it be known that a certain player for King's College London is coming back across the Atlantic to play ACF Nationals solo, and has played the appropriate British events to prepare...
Does he have a certain set of skills?
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is too oafish?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Cheynem wrote:Is too oafish?
This are good grammared.
Fred Morlan
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Not all of us go to KENTUCKY.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Cheynem wrote:Not all of us go to KENTUCKY.
Everyone has regrets in life.
Fred Morlan
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

On a more serious note, not a big deal but it's easier for my eyes if you format your ballots to only write "___ A" if you are also ranking that team's B team.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Just to enable some statistical analysis of the regions, I would suggest posting the tournaments from this season here. Here are Canada's:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/ Penn-ance
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/ Minnesota Open
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ark_stats/ QUARK (Canadian)
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... -complete/ ACF Fall

http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4748 NAQT SCT

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1254 Delta Burke mirror

I don't believe ACF Regionals stats have been posted, but Ottawa went 9-0, over McMaster (5-4), Waterloo (DII, 3-6) and Toronto (DII, 1-8)
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

RyuAqua wrote:
Indeed I am (attending Nationals, almost certainly solo) and have (been playing whatever British events I was eligible for). For ranking purposes (should you choose to rank me), the stats for the two tournaments I played can be found here:

IFT: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
VCU Closed: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... und_robin/
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

There are currently 19 ballots in. Please submit more!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

We are up to a very impressive 29 ballots. As a reminder, balloting will close at 12 PM EST, Monday, March 4th, with results posted Monday afternoon. Anyone considering sending in a ballot should still do so; there are many teams who have received votes and lively competition for rankings. I also urge people who voted in this to continue voting in subsequent editions; I'd like to keep this impressive turnout going.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Here are the results. There were a very impressive 35 ballots received.

Voters: Evan Adams, Mirza Ahmed, William Alston, Bryan Berend, George Berry, Matt Bollinger, Max Bucher, Billy Busse, William Butler, Bryce Durgin, Zach Foster, Auroni Gupta, Andrew Hart, Matt Hayes, Isaac Hirsch, Daniel Hothem, Matt Jackson, Nick Jensen, Tanay Kothari, Jasper Lee, Stephen Liu, Saajid Moyen, Will Nediger, Joe Nutter, Jacob O'Rourke, Cameron Orth, Jordan Palmer, Ryan Rosenberg, David Seal, Adam Sperber, Marshall Steinbaum, Jake Sundberg, Matt Weiner, Richard Yu, and Libo Zeng

A quick word. The results are certainly far-ranging, but I tried to take a fairly generous stance regarding the acceptance of ballots. If an obvious top #6 type team was missing, I made an inquiry and I allowed people to revise ballots, but in general this poll reflects sincere opinions of voters. There are obvious regional biases, eccentric opinions, and odd picks, yet these cannot be ascribed to just a handful of ballots--almost every ballot had something that made it stand out from the others, which is what makes this exciting. All of the ballots did properly rank 25 teams.

I will post overall point totals and then the highest and lowest rankings they received on a ballot. If there is no lowest, it means that they were unranked on at least one ballot.

#1: Virginia A (873, highest: #1, lowest: #3)
#2: Penn (825, highest: #2, lowest: #5)
#3: Yale A (796, highest: #1, lowest: #5)
#4: Michigan A (758, highest: #2, lowest: #11)
#5: Illinois (756, highest: #2, lowest: #7)
#6: Chicago A (679, highest: #4, lowest: #10)
#7: Maryland A (654, highest: #5, lowest: #11)
#8: Minnesota (592, highest: #6, lowest: #20)
#9: Georgia Tech (571, highest: #6, lowest: #14)
#10: Harvard A (557, highest: #5, lowest: #17)
#11: Brown A (486, highest: #8, lowest: #23)
#12: Chicago B (441, highest: #7)
#13: MIT (360, highest: #8)
#14: NYU (307, highest: #9)
#15: Ohio State (304, highest: #8)
#16: Alabama (293, highest: #9)
#17: Columbia (230, highest: #8)
#18: Rice (224, highest: #10)
#19: Michigan State (222, highest: #12)
#20: Alberta (215, highest: #7)
#21: Berkeley (205, highest: #9)
#22: MCTC (180, highest: #9)
#23: Virginia B (139, highest: #9)
#24: Stanford (129, highest: #10)
#25: Dartmouth (128, highest: #14)

Also Receiving Votes:
VCU (83), Kings College (76), Yale B (68), Northwestern (55), WUSTL (40), Cornell (35), North Carolina (20), Brown B (13), Carleton College (10), Chipola (10), Michigan B (8), South Carolina (8), Wisconsin (5), Chicago C (4), Maryland B (3), UCSD (3), George Mason (2), Oxford (2), Valencia (2), Harvard B (1), and Ottawa (1).

Feel free to discuss and I'll open the phone lines via the IRC for the masses to weigh in.

Thanks everyone for voting. I'll cross-post this on the front page later today. Please vote in subsequent polls; I'd hate to see great turnout fall off in later editions.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Out of curiosity (and a rather silly desire to see this as close to the AP sports polls as possible), how many first-place votes were there for UVA and Yale? (And why did nobody end up voting Penn in first? Poor Penn...)
Harrison Brown

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

UVA received 34 out of 35 first place votes. Yale received the other first place vote.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

I'm quite surprised Stanford ended up so low on the list.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

Fond du lac operon
Wakka

I'm kind of surprised there were only 11 teams that appeared on every ballot. While I guess I can see someone not voting for Chicago B because they're a B team (and I'm not sure they've played their likeliest nationals lineup yet), I thought MIT, NYU, Ohio State, ourselves, and probably Alberta would all be consensus top-25 teams. I guess it says something about the depth of good schools that they aren't.
Harrison Brown

The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Fond du lac operon wrote:Poor Penn...
I predicted that Penn will win ICT. Unfortunately for them, I have a hard time predicting things correctly...
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired