ACF Nationals 2013: Harlem Shake Prohibited (Apr 27-28)

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

ACF Nationals 2013: Harlem Shake Prohibited (Apr 27-28)

Post by Matt Weiner »

This is the announcement for this year's Academic Competition Federation national championship tournament.

ACF Nationals this year will be held at Columbia University in vibrant New York City. The tournament will be held on the weekend of Saturday, April 27, and Sunday, April 28, 2013.

The tournament will convene in Hamilton Hall on the Columbia campus at 8:00 AM on Saturday the 27th and run until around 6:00 PM, then finish from 8 AM to about 2 PM on Sunday the 28th.

Jonathan Magin will be the head editor of this tournament.

Matt Weiner will be Tournament Director. Nationals will once again be a fully staffed, efficiently run tournament with a sensible format that remembers to award the Undergraduate and Division II trophies.

Our current recommendation is that teams stay in northern New Jersey and take the train to the tournament. You will find better pricing on hotels and not have to deal with parking in Manhattan, for which ACF takes no responsibility. A longer list of specific suggested hotels is to follow, but right now I suggest looking at the Hyatt Place Secaucus.

If you have any questions about the logistics of ACF Nationals that you need answered right now, feel free to post here or e-mail Matt Weiner at [email protected]. We're looking forward to a healthy field and a great event.

Jonathan Magin will be taking registrations for the tournament, so if you want to sign up before you hand your packet in, contact him at [email protected].
To register for this tournament, please fill out this webform. If you need to change your information after submitting it, please email Susan Ferrari at [email protected]

Packet submission, eligibility, and fee schedule:

Information on who is eligible to play ACF tournaments and details regarding packet submission can be found at the ACF Packet Submission Guidelines.

Fee schedule:

Base fee: $260
-$100 discount: January 23
-$50 discount: February 6
-$25 discount: February 20
No penalty: March 6
+$25 penalty: March 13
+$50 penalty: March 20

NOTE: No packets will be accepted later than two weeks before the tournament!

New for this year! If your team brings (fully pays for/does not claim any reimbursement from the tournament for) a qualified moderator, you will receive a $100 discount. Qualified moderators are people who can properly complete an ACF Nationals round in thirty minutes. I, Matt Weiner, will be the sole judge of who is qualified, both prior to and during the tournament, and will not award the discount if your staffer fails to meet this requirement. You may, theoretically, claim this discount as many times as possible until your fee reaches $0.

ACF cannot make this any clearer: After the $50 deadline, you will owe the editors $10/day; if you cannot turn in a packet more than two weeks in advance of ACF Nationals, you will not be playing ACF Nationals. This is a hard and fast deadline and there will be no exceptions.

This year, ACF will continue the 50 dollar discount for teams who write at least 20/20 that doesn't need any major editing and submit their packet by the no penalty deadline. By major editing, we mean things like having to change many of the clues and/or answerlines and having to fix many grammatical errors.

We would much rather give out lots of hefty discounts for excellent early packets than rake in money for late ones, so please take advantage of them.

There is a field cap of 33 teams for this tournament; should more than 33 teams register, a waitlist will be formed.

Distribution:

5/5 Literature: This includes 1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/1 World, and 1/1 Other (which can include any of the preceding categories). Please vary your questions by time, place, and genre (for instance, please don't submit 5/5 on French literature or 5/5 poetry).

5/5 History: This includes 1/1 American, 2/2 European, 1/1 World, and 1/1 Other (which can include any of the preceding categories). Please make sure that your questions aren't all from the same time period or place and aren't all one type of history (for instance, try not to submit 5/5 political history or 5/5 military history).

5/5 Science: This includes 1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, and 2/2 Other Science (including areas like Astronomy, Earth Science, Math, and Computer Science). Please don't write two questions about the same scientific subdistribution.

3/3 Arts: This includes 1/1 Painting, 1/1 Classical Music, and 1/1 Other (including Architecture, Sculpture, Opera, Jazz, Ballet/Dance, Art Film, and Photography). Please vary your questions by time, place, and genre.

3/3 RMP: This includes 1/1 Religion, 1/1 Mythology, and 1/1 Philosophy. Please do not write both religion questions on the same religion or both mythology questions on the same myth system.

1/1 Social Science: This includes Psychology, Economics, Anthropology, Sociology, Linguistics, and Social Criticism. Please write your tossup and bonus on different areas of social science.

1/1 Geography/Current Events: These questions should be about different parts of the world. Geography questions that incorporate cultural and environmental clues instead of purely discussing physical features are particularly welcome.

1/1 Other Academic: This includes questions from every preceding category, as well as answers that don't quite fit into any of the preceding categories.

Keep in mind that ACF Nationals does not have trash; if you submit any trash questions, they will simply be sent back.

To reiterate, please vary the distribution of your questions. In past years, we had teams submit packets with both chemistry questions about the same narrow area, to present one example, and it would prevent many headaches if you make sure your questions are reasonably distributed. Also, please remember that while the goal of ACF Nationals is to determine the best team in the nation, writing primarily about extremely difficult topics is not the best way to achieve this, so please try to keep your fellow players in mind while choosing your answer lines.

This announcement comes with ample time for everyone to start writing their Nationals packets and submit them as early as possible. We want to give you every opportunity to save money on this fantastic event and save us the trouble of having to edit a bunch of packets at the last minute. You should avail yourself of this chance posthaste.

All packets should be sent to [email protected]. If you have any questions about packet writing, you can send them to that email address also. Start writing!
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
magin
Auron

Re: ACF Nationals 2013: Large Sodas Prohibited (Apr 27-28)

Post by magin »

As a minor correction, the literature distribution is actually:

American literature: 1/1
British literature: 1/1
European literature from 500 CE onwards: 1/1
World (anything not covered above and not originally written in English): 1/0 or 0/1
Anything you want, including ancient European literature, more of any category above, or combinations of categories above: 1/2 or 2/1

You may submit more than one world literature question in your ACF Nationals packet, but you are not required to do so.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

As a reminder, the first deadline to submit packets to ACF Nationals is coming up later this month (on January 23rd). I've already had several teams (thank you, Illinois and Carleton) submit their packets to me, which delights me to no end.

If you have any concerns about your answer lines or anything about your packet, feel free to email me at [email protected]. I'm more than happy to respond to any questions.

Looking forward to receiving plenty of early packets this year for ACF Nationals.
Jonathan Magin

magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I'm very pleased that so many teams (eleven in all) submitted packets by the early deadline. The following teams get gold stars and a one hundred dollar packet discount:

Illinois A
Carleton
Berkeley
Hunter College
Alberta
Rutgers
Rice
VCU A
NYU A
Michigan
Michigan State

The deadline to submit your ACF Nationals packet and receive a 50 dollar discount is February 6th. I'm looking forward to receiving many more packets.
Jonathan Magin

Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

Matt Weiner wrote:Our current recommendation is that teams stay in northern New Jersey and take the train to the tournament. You will find better pricing on hotels and not have to deal with parking in Manhattan, for which ACF takes no responsibility. A longer list of specific suggested hotels is to follow, but right now I suggest looking at the Hyatt Place Secaucus.
I've been meaning to post here for awhile that as a northern NJ native and self-appointed expert on the region's public transportation infrastructure and its relation to that of New York City, I am hesitant to recommend staying in Secaucus when another, possibly cheaper and more convenient option exists. Namely, there are several hotels and motels in Fort Lee, clustered near the George Washington Bridge and with transportation links to the NYC subway north of Columbia. From Secaucus, you would be taking NJ Transit to Penn Station, then presumably the subway up to Columbia. From Fort Lee, it is but a quick busride or a fun and scenic walk over the bridge to the subway on the other side and a shorter ride south. The downside would be that Fort Lee is more difficult to access from Newark Airport. But I would bet that rooms are cheaper than in Secaucus.

Here is one option:

https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/dt/res ... ution=e1s1

If you do decide to stay in Fort Lee, as your accommodation how exactly to get across the bridge. There are van shuttles that make the trip for $2 a person, but I'm not exactly sure where they pick up.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Yeah, my scout work at the Columbia MO mirror showed several viable options. Fort Lee is your better bet if you don't want to drive in Manhattan and want the simplest access to the subway. Secaucus will work out very well if you're driving, or if you want to stay at the quizbowl-friendly Hyatt Place and don't mind a little extra effort on transit (you have to take a bus from the shopping center to Penn Station, indeed). If Nationals weekend is similar to MO weekend, then the parking situation is actually not that bad; I was able to park about five blocks from Hamilton Hall, for free.

If you are flying into one of the Queens airports, you can probably avoid a lot of unnecessary travel into New Jersey entirely by staying in the city itself. Lodging outside of Manhattan proper is not bank-breaking. Those trying to both do the entire weekend without a car and fly into Newark will probably end up paying for a cab at some point, though there is always some way to get around by bus or train in the area if you wait long enough.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

In my pretty frequent experience of driving to NYC, I was always able to find parking relatively easily around Morningside Drive, from 114th St. and up; this is quite close to Columbia, which runs from 116th to 120th. Just be careful not to park in any of the hospital spaces around 114th; otherwise, if you get there early, you can generally find a spot.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

To register for ACF Nationals, please fill out this web form. If you need to change any of your info after you've entered it, please email me at [email protected] or PM me. The registered field for the tournament may be viewed here.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

There seems to have been some confusion regarding Nationals payment, so I'll go ahead and clear that up. ACF now has a bank account and everything, and if you are playing Regionals, you should have received an invoice that instructs you to make a check out to ACF directly. This is the system from here on out, including for Nationals. I hope this clears up any confusion about ACF payment.
Jerry Vinokurov
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

I'm guessing Canadian teams should just hold tight as per the other thread?
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

fourplustwo wrote:I'm guessing Canadian teams should just hold tight as per the other thread?
Yeah. I haven't set up the PayPal thing (I'm thinking that that's what we'll go with unless the volume of internet payment gets pretty high). When that happens I'll let you know; you'll also have the option of paying us on site in cash (American) if that works for you.
Jerry Vinokurov
magin
Auron

Re: ACF Nationals 2013: Harlem Shake Prohibited (Apr 27-28)

Post by magin »

Hey,

I'd like to announce some updates to the packet deadlines. The no penalty deadline has been moved from March 6th to March 9th, since the 6th is in the middle of the week. Similarly, the +25 penalty deadline is now March 16, and the +50 deadline is now March 23. In easy to read list form:

No penalty: March 9
+$25 penalty: March 16
+$50 penalty: March 23

Please email me at [email protected] if you have any questions about writing or submitting a packet to ACF Nationals.

Jonathan
Jonathan Magin

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Also, you should really register ASAP for this tournament.
Jerry Vinokurov
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

The no penalty deadline has come and gone, and here's who's submitted packets so far:

First deadline:

Illinois A
Carleton
Berkeley
Hunter College
Alberta
Rutgers
Rice
VCU A
NYU A
Michigan
Michigan State

-50 deadline:

Ottawa

-25 deadline:

South Carolina

No penalty deadline:

Georgia Tech
Virginia A
Columbia A

The +25 dollar deadline is March 16 at midnight EST; I hope to see many more packets in my inbox.
Jonathan Magin

Susan

Post by Susan »

Hunter College and Rutgers, can you please register? I'll add that anyone else seeking to play should register soon, as there are 28 spots already claimed, two teams who have submitted packets but not yet registered, and a 33-team field cap. Note that you do NOT need to have settled on your lineup to register in case that's what's been holding you back. (However, we will eventually need rosters, so if you're Ottawa, USC, or VCU and you've finalized yours, or if you're anyone else and need to make changes, let me know at [email protected]).
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

magin wrote:
Hunter College
Hunter College High School? Hunter College College? Neither (CCNY or CUNY)?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

RyuAqua wrote: Hunter College High School?
It's not us.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

Maryland, Brown and Harvard should totally sign up for this.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The announced field cap for this tournament is 33 teams and I am happy to report that we are currently at 28 29. If we go beyond 33, I will waitlist you and diligently try to recruit more staff, make sure we have/can get rooms as needed, and/or consult with Jonathan about whether building multiple byes into the schedule is feasible. However, there are no guarantees about being able to accommodate teams 34 and beyond, so please make sure to earnestly appraise your chances of going (don't sign up if you have a 1% chance of finding funding for plane tickets) and, if those chances are pretty good, sign up sooner rather than later so you get priority on the list.

Edit: The 29th registration came in as I was typing this. Get your ACF Nationals field spots now! We will not be undersold!
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

There are now 35 teams registered for ACF Nationals.

Please continue to register if you are interested so that you receive your deserved spot on the waitlist, and remember to submit your packet before the final deadline if you are a team that is required to do so.

I will update the thread with info on field expansion as soon as it exists.
Matt Weiner
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Congrats to D2 Champion Illinois B!
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

marnold wrote:Congrats to D2 Champion Illinois B!
Andrew seems to be following in Ike's footsteps quite nicely.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

As an update on who's submitted packets by which deadlines:

First deadline:

Illinois A
Carleton
Berkeley
Hunter College
Alberta
Rutgers
Rice
VCU A
NYU A
Michigan
Michigan State

-50 deadline:

Ottawa

-25 deadline:

South Carolina

No penalty deadline:

Georgia Tech
Virginia A
Columbia A

+25 deadline:

Northwestern
London
Dartmouth
Yale

+50 deadline:

WUSTL
Harvard
Penn B
Penn A?

If you have not asked us for an extension, you should try to submit your packet to us as soon as possible, since each additional day brings an added penalty.
Jonathan Magin

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

On the heels of Jonathan's update, I will also say that if you have submitted a packet you should have received an invoice for the tournament. In fact, you might have received two of them; the first set had a mistake which I corrected, so please use only the second email from me as the reference for what you actually owe. As for the moderator discount, if you qualify, you will receive a new invoice at the tournament, so if you think you're going to be bringing a moderator who will get you that -$100 discount, please make plans to pay at the tournament. If you are an international team, the invoice contains instructions for how to pay us via PayPal. Please don't use PayPal unless you are paying in foreign currency, since they do take a small percentage of the fee. If you have any questions, as always, email me.
Jerry Vinokurov
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The field can now be expanded to 35 teams.

Teams 36 and 37 are still on the waitlist for the time being, but expect an announcement soon.
Matt Weiner
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Aaaand the last set of invoices is out; if you have submitted a packet, your team contact has received an invoice. If you are one of the two miscreant teams who has not submitted one, please take a moment to imagine Jonathan Magin sadly weeping as he has to edit questions at 3 in the morning before the tournament, while I both purchase and light a giant novelty cigar with your money.
Jerry Vinokurov
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The final expansion of the field to 38 teams is now in effect. We have 37 registered and can accommodate one more immediately. Further interest will go to the waitlist.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I have the following people down as staffing this tournament. If you are on this list/not on the list and should not/should be, let me know:

Mehnaj Ahmed
Sarah Angelo
Bruce Arthur 
Ryan Artze
David Aum
Victoria Cui
Eric Douglass
Diana Gerr
Saul Hankin
Sid Hariharan
Michael Hausinger
Andrew Lim
Dennis London 
Jonathan Magin
Dan Passner
Katy Peters
Ahmad Ragab
JR Roach
Timothy Sun
Eamon Thomasson
Maggie Tse
Will Tse
Jerry Vinokurov
Jacob Wasserman
Matt Weiner
Joe Wells
Matt Weiner
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

Unfortunately I have a work obligation what forces me to back out of staffing.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

I unfortunately have to withdraw my commitment to staffing.

Apologies,
Ahmad
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I'll be there, and able to staff.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Do we really still have 37 teams? What does the schedule look like for that?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Susan

Post by Susan »

RyuAqua wrote:Do we really still have 37 teams? What does the schedule look like for that?
We've actually just gone down to 36 teams as Princeton will not be able to make it. I believe we're looking at a prelim schedule of 4 brackets of 9 teams, followed by three brackets of crossover playoffs (brackets of 12; you play the 9 teams you haven't already played, and final placement is based on your performance against the 12 teams in your bracket--so the 9 games from the playoffs plus the two carried-over games from the prelims against the teams who ended up in the same playoff bracket as you). Matt, Jonathan, etc., please feel free to correct anything I've said here.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

That is correct.

Overall finals will work as usual.

As playoff bracket size is 12, that is also the magic number of spots for a UG or D2 team to finish ahead of the rest of their eligibility group and clinch the title without a UG or D2 final.
Matt Weiner
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Sorry if I missed this somewhere along the way, but what is check-in time and when is the tournament supposed to start? I see 8 AM mentioned at the top of the thread but I'm unclear as to whether that's the beginning of check-in time or the time the tournament is supposed to start. Thanks for any info on this.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

All parts of ACF Nationals will in fact take place in or in front of Hamilton Hall. To access Hamilton Hall, enter the campus at the gate on Amsterdam Ave facing 116th St; the building is the one immediately on your left as you do this, though you will need to go around it to get to the door. As an advisory, I found that parking on the section of 120th St that is immediately to the west of Amsterdam was free & available on weekends when I visited Columbia in November for MO, so those who are driving should try that first and otherwise leave time to park in & walk back from nearby pay garages.

On Saturday, registration of teams will run from 8:00 to 8:30. Staff (and teams bringing staff) need to be around by 8 to help set up and test buzzers. The opening meeting will start at 8:30 and we'll move to round 1 as soon as possible after that. That could be as early as 8:35, so arrive on time or risk missing a game. I am not going to rearrange the schedule because you lingered at breakfast; arriving on time is non-negotiable.

Due to the pleasingly large size of the tournament, we were not able to procure a lecture hall that will fit all of the players and staffers at once. Thus: If it is not raining at 8:00, then we will be checking you in and conducting the meeting outdoors, on the west side of Hamilton Hall. If and only if it is raining, then we will ask you to send a maximum of ONE person per team you have entered in the tournament to room 602 of Hamilton to check in and hear the opening information, and have the rest of your team shelter from the rain in other rooms on the sixth floor that belong to the tournament (607, 609, 613, 616) or elsewhere. If you are the delegated person who does this, then please do not lose your teammates; you will need to get in touch with them after the meeting to direct them to briskly proceed to your Round 1 room.

On Sunday, Round 14 starts promptly at 8:45. Don't be late or you miss it. Your playoff schedule runs from Round 10 on Saturday and through Sunday morning, so you will know in advance where you are headed and there will be no meeting on Sunday before gameplay begins.
Matt Weiner
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

grapesmoker wrote:In my pretty frequent experience of driving to NYC, I was always able to find parking relatively easily around Morningside Drive, from 114th St. and up; this is quite close to Columbia, which runs from 116th to 120th. Just be careful not to park in any of the hospital spaces around 114th; otherwise, if you get there early, you can generally find a spot.
I'll just go ahead and quote myself re: parking, in case anyone missed it.
Jerry Vinokurov
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

For those of us who will be arriving at the tournament by rail, what subway station is closest to the tournament?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:For those of us who will be arriving at the tournament by rail, what subway station is closest to the tournament?
Take the 1 to "116th St—Columbia University."
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:For those of us who will be arriving at the tournament by rail, what subway station is closest to the tournament?
The IRT (1, in red) stop at "116th Street-Columbia University." Walk through the gate on the east side of Broadway and continue across the quad to Hamilton.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Auron

Are moderators expected to bring a laptop?
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We will be using paper packets.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Stats will be updated periodically at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1397/stats/ .
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Here are the playoff seeds:

1-3 is the top bracket
4-6 is middle
7-9 is bottom

Minnesota and Alabama are currently playing a tiebreaker game to determine who will join Yale, Georgia Tech, Chicago A, Virginia, Alberta, Harvard, Maryland, Penn A, Chicago B, Illinois A, and Michigan in the top bracket.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Minnesota defeated Alabama 180-100 in the tiebreaker. Playoff standings will be updated here:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Saturday rounds are done and stats are up. Tomorrow we will be audio-casting a selected playoff room as well as the finals. More info when we get it set up.
Matt Weiner
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Ike Jose left a black hoodie behind so if anyone finds it that would be cool
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We're starting round 14 in about 10 minutes. We will be live-broadcasting Bruce Arthur's playoff room (audio only) as well as the overall finals.

This is the link to listen in to room 402:

http://ustre.am/XyYr

Games that will be broadcast are:

Round 14- UVa vs. Michigan
Round 15- Penn A vs. Minnesota
Round 16- Harvard v. Chicago B
Round 17- Yale v. Maryland
Round 18- Georgia Tech v. Alberta
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Top-bracket matchups:

Round 14

Chicago A-Maryland
Minnesota-Alberta
Illinois A-Harvard
Virginia-Michigan
Georgia Tech-Chicago B
Yale-Penn A

Round 15

Maryland-Michigan
Penn A-Minnesota
Chicago B-Illinois A
Yale-Alberta
Georgia Tech-Harvard
Chicago A-Virginia

Round 16

Alberta-Penn A
Harvard-Chicago B
Yale-Illinois A
Georgia Tech-Michigan
Chicago A-Minnesota
Virginia-Maryland

Round 17

Harvard-Minnesota
Yale-Maryland
Georgia Tech-Penn A
Chicago A-Chicago B
Virginia A-Illinois A
Alberta-Michigan

Round 18

Yale-Virginia
Georgia Tech-Alberta
Chicago A-Harvard
Maryland-Illinois A
Penn A-Michigan
Chicago B-Minnesota

Stats through round 15 are posted at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/ shortly and the link will be updated each round thereafter.
Matt Weiner
Auron

Michigan and Yale are about to play a tiebreaker. The prize? Facing Illinois in a disadvantaged final.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus