NAQT Region 3 SCT - University of Delaware (2/9/13)

Old college threads.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Re: NAQT Region 3 SCT - University of Delaware (2/9/13)

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Vernon Lee Bad Marriage, Jr. wrote:
mastaloo wrote:If everyone is alright with breaking a tie by PPG for the advantaged final, I'm fine with running a 6/4 playoff bracket. If not, then we'll run 4/6.
I'd be fine with that.
The rest of UVA is also fine with this. Please please be careful to make sure wrong packets don't happen, though.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

The Laughing Cavalier wrote:
Vernon Lee Bad Marriage, Jr. wrote:
mastaloo wrote:If everyone is alright with breaking a tie by PPG for the advantaged final, I'm fine with running a 6/4 playoff bracket. If not, then we'll run 4/6.
I'd be fine with that.
The rest of UVA is also fine with this. Please please be careful to make sure wrong packets don't happen, though.
We'll have someone on staff specifically monitoring packet distribution, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

In terms of the new schedule, this is what we came up with (feel free to provide suggestions):

D1: RR prelim, then rebracket into top 6/bottom 4. An advantaged final will be played if necessary, and a 2nd place tie will be broken by PPG.
D2: Double RR

The top 6 teams in D1 will play 14 games, the bottom 4 will play 12 games, and D2 teams will play 14 games.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Looks like we won't be able to make it, we would have to leave Friday around 6 to make it. I'll confirm later tonight.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Same goes for Stony Brook, unfortunately.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

On the bright side, maybe you guys could make it to MIT or Buffalo a week from now?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Yeah I'm thinking NYU might go to MIT next weekend since its looking incredibly likely we wont be able to head down tomorrow
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

So yeah we've decided we're not going to be heading down tomorrow. It looks like we'll be going to the delayed mirror at MIT instead
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

At this point, we have 8 D1 teams and 4 D2 teams. If the field stays like this, we'll run a double round robin for D1 with and advantaged final and a quadruple round robin for D2. Princeton and Villanova told me that they're going to try to make it, but we'll adjust the schedules as necessary.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

mastaloo wrote:At this point, we have 8 D1 teams and 4 D2 teams. If the field stays like this, we'll run a double round robin for D1 with and advantaged final and a quadruple round robin for D2. Princeton and Villanova told me that they're going to try to make it, but we'll adjust the schedules as necessary.
So if a D2 team drops, will this SCT have a combined field, forcing Maryland/Penn/Virginia to play on D2 questions?

edit: darn question words
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

The Predictable Consequences wrote:
mastaloo wrote:At this point, we have 8 D1 teams and 4 D2 teams. If the field stays like this, we'll run a double round robin for D1 with and advantaged final and a quadruple round robin for D2. Princeton and Villanova told me that they're going to try to make it, but we'll adjust the schedules as necessary.
So if a D2 team drops, will this SCT have a combined field, forcing Maryland/Penn/Virginia to play on D2 questions?

Nothing in the host guidelines or division rules, as I read them, requires combined fields to be played on Division II. In fact, they seem to imply that the combined field will generally use the question set for which more teams signed up.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

RyuAqua wrote:
The Predictable Consequences wrote:

Nothing in the host guidelines or division rules, as I read them, requires combined fields to be played on Division II. In fact, they seem to imply that the combined field will generally use the question set for which more teams signed up.
Ah, ok. I was looking for clarification on that and couldn't find it.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Matt is correct; a combined-field setup in which the majority of teams are Division I would use the Division I question set.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

We're down to 10 teams (8 D1, 2 D2), so we're combining the field. As it stands, we'll do a round robin prelim and split into top 6/bottom 4 with an advantaged final. If another team drops, we have a backup schedule in case.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Are Longwood and Maryland C undergrad?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

One more quick update: we're pushing the start time of the opening meeting to 9:15. Sorry for the late notice.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Are Longwood and Maryland C undergrad?
I believe they are, but we can check tomorrow.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

Stats through round 6 posted here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1279
Edit: Full stats are now posted at the link
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

To summarize, UVA A won after the first game of an advantaged final with Penn. UVA B rounded out the top 3, and VCU won the undergraduate title. Full stats can be found at the link above. Thanks to all the teams for playing today!

Also, we'd like to thank all of the guest staffers who helped today. Namely, Bill Tressler, Matt Weiner, Mike Bentley, Mike Brown, Greg Sweeney, Seth Ebner, and Ravi Suba. Without all of you, the tournament wouldn't have went as smoothly as it did. Thanks again.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'd like to say that this tournament was run very efficiently.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Matt Weiner wrote:I'd like to say that this tournament was run very efficiently.
Yes. It was very good.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation