Western Invitational Tournament at WKU (March 3, 2013)

Old college threads.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Western Invitational Tournament at WKU (March 3, 2013)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The WKU Academic Competition Club will be hosting a mirror of the Western Invitational Tournament on the campus of Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, KY. This tournament will take place on Sunday, March 3. This is a packet-submission tournament, and the deadlines for teams who have to submit packets can be found later in this post.

Fee Structure
Base fee per team: $120 each
Functional buzzers: -$10 each
Competent moderators: -$10 each
Travel (per school): -$15 per 200 miles (one-way, as determined by Google Maps or Mapquest)

I encourage every team to bring moderators and buzzers (especially the latter) to make this tournament run smoother. We will provide staffers with free breakfast and lunch. All checks should be made out to "WKU Academic Competition Club." Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2011 must submit a packet for this event.
Packet Deadlines (Base fee $120)
(-50) January 1
(-25) January 6
(0) January 20
(+25) February 3
(+50) February 17
After February 17: $5 extra per day unless you have extenuating circumstances that you clear with me. If we don't have your packet by February 24, then you will not be allowed to play, no matter what.

Distribution:
5/5 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 2/2 World/Your Choice)
5/5 History (1/1 American, 2/2 European (at least 1 British), 1/1 World, 1/1 Your Choice
5/5 Science (1/1 biology, 1/1 physics, and 1 question each on chemistry, earth science, astronomy, math, computer science, and science history)
3/3 Religion, Mythology, and Philosophy
3/3 Fine Arts
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Trash
1/1 Current Events, Geography, or Your Choice

Packets should be emailed to Tanay Kothari (tanay.kothari at gmail dot com) with subject line “WIT Packet: [Team Name]”.

The field cap for now is 18 teams, although that may go up depending on moderators, space. etc. To register, please email me at [email protected]
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Western Invitational Tournament at WKU (March 3, 2013)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Field
Alabama
DePauw
Georgia Tech
Louisville A
Louisville B
WKU
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

This is less than a month away, and the field is only just starting to materialize. If you're planning to come, please email me or post here. It is important to note that the final packet deadline is only 11 days away, so if you're coming and would have to write a packet, please get that done.

Also: we need buzzers for this event. There is a nice buzzer discount for teams that bring systems to the tournament, so please let me know ahead of the event if you are bringing them. Also if you have competent moderators who are willing to come read for you, please ask them to come.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

Nick, we can bring two buzzer sets
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

Have there been any field updates?
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

A GT team, possibly just of myself, is planning on coming to this assuming I finish my packet by this weekend.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

Church51907 wrote:Have there been any field updates?
Matt Church
U of L
Alabama's very likely to come, assuming the packet writing doesn't completely fall through.
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I've got rooms scheduled for this, although most are in the basement, so we're trying to get a bit better selection. Either way, we have plenty of space for teams considering coming to play. We may be a bit limited on staff and buzzers, so anybody bringing staffers and/or buzzer systems would be greatly appreciated.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

Nick, do you have a schedule, final field list, and time/locations for Sunday yet?
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We've made a minor change in the plans for this tournament: I will not be serving as tournament director. Instead this event will be directed by Terence Donohue, who has helped with several of our tournaments over the last couple years. Terence has frequently been among our best staffers, and I have confidence that he will do a superb job on Sunday. Of course, if any problems arise I will be there to give him advice.

I'm still the person to contact to register however. In addition to that, I will have logistical information to registered teams by Wednesday. The field can be found upthread, it currently consists of 6 teams including our house team. We still have room if other teams would like to register.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:We've made a minor change in the plans for this tournament: I will not be serving as tournament director. Instead this event will be directed by Terence Donohue, who has helped with several of our tournaments over the last couple years. Terence has frequently been among our best staffers, and I have confidence that he will do a superb job on Sunday. Of course, if any problems arise I will be there to give him advice.

I'm still the person to contact to register however. In addition to that, I will have logistical information to registered teams by Wednesday. The field can be found upthread, it currently consists of 6 teams including our house team. We still have room if other teams would like to register.
Try not to worry, you have one or two people with tournament directing experience that can offer suggestions if there's trouble of any kind. There really shouldn't be trouble with this small of a field, however.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I just sent the following information to teams registered for the tournament:
Hey everybody, if you're receiving this I have you as the contact of a team registered for our WIT mirror this Sunday. This event will take place on the campus of Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, KY. I'm handling the logistics for the run-up to this event, but I'll probably be playing on the house team on Sunday, so specific questions about tournament direction (like the schedule, places to eat lunch, etc.) should be sent to our TD, Terence Donohue, at [email protected]

First off, here's the current field:

Alabama
Depauw
Georgia Tech
Louisville A
Louisville B
WKU

If you're adding any teams, let me know by Friday. In case it isn't overly clear yet, we're hosting this event on Sunday, March 3, which is slightly different than the standard Saturday schedule. Other than that, everything will run like any other quizbowl tournament. Registration will be from 8:00-8:45 AM, and we'll get everything started once everybody gets here. Please be here by 8:45 so we can get Round 1 started at 9 AM sharp.

Right now, with a 6 team field, we'll simply run a double round robin of 10 rounds. If a team doesn't clear the field by two games, we'll have a (possibly advantaged) final. We'll have lunch after Round 5, and hopefully be done by 4 or 5 PM.

Registration will be in Cherry Hall, which is at the very top of the hill on WKU's campus and has a big statue out front. It is also number 63 on this map: http://www.wku.edu/campusmap.php. If you need to type an address into a GPS or Google Maps, it's 1906 College Heights Blvd. Bowling Green, KY 42101. You can park in the College Hill Lot, which is just right across the street from Cherry Hall.

Upon registration, please have payment in hand. The base fee is $120 per team, with a $10 discount for bringing a buzzer system, a $10 discount for bringing a moderator, and/or a $15 discount for each 200 miles traveled one-way. Let us know ahead of time if you're bringing buzzers or a moderator, and also let us know when you arrive on Sunday as well.

I think that's everything, if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me. If you need to for some reason, you can call me at [REDACTED]. Hope to see you all on Sunday!

Thanks,
Nick Conder
WKU Quizbowl
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Stats

Team Standings
1. Georgia Tech, 10-0
2. Alabama, 8-2
t3. Louisville A, 5-5
t3. WKU, 5-5
5. Louisville B, 2-8
6. DePauw, 0-10

Individual Rankings
1. Will Butler, Georgia Tech, 152 PPG
2. Harrison Brown, Alabama, 74 PPG
3. Austin Brownlow, Louisville, 51 PPG
4. Jake Sundberg, Alabama, 50 PPG
5. Matthew Riggle, WKU, 43 PPG

Congratulations to the top team and individuals. Special thanks go to Terence Donohue, who did an excellent job directing this tournament. Thanks also go to the following staffers: Ramapriya Rangaraju of Louisville, Tommy Graven, Shawna Felkins, Cortney Stewart, Kelsey Mattingly, and Evan Bemus of WKU. I hope everybody had fun coming to WKU, and I hope to see you all back at future events.
Nicholas C
KQBA member