NAQT Region 3 SCT - University of Delaware (2/9/13)

Old college threads.
mastaloo
Wakka

NAQT Region 3 SCT - University of Delaware (2/9/13)

Post by mastaloo »

The University of Delaware will be hosting NAQT SCT for region 3, which will take place on Saturday, February 9th at the UD campus in Newark, Delaware. More information will be posted as the tournament date approaches.

Fees:

First Team: $120
Subsequent Teams: $100
Buzzer System -$10/ each
Clock: -$5/each
Experienced Moderator: -$30/ each
Scorekeeper: -$10/each
New School: -$20/team

NAQT will invoice teams directly for the cost of SCT.

Location and Timing:
Registration will begin at 8:00 AM and end at 8:45. We will then hold an opening meeting and start rounds by 9. Lunch will take place at some point around noon and we hope to finish at some reasonable point in the afternoon. Below is a rough outline of the schedule:

Opening Meeting: 8:45 - 9:00
Rounds 1-6: 9:00 - 12:00
Lunch: 12:00 - 1:00
Rounds 7-9: 1:00-2:30
Rebracketing, then rounds 10-14: 2:30-5:00
Advantaged final: 5:00-6:00

The opening meeting will take place in Smith Hall 130 and all games will take place in Purnell Hall, which is right next door. Below is a map of campus:

http://maps.rdms.udel.edu/map/index.php

In terms of parking, the best option would be the Visitor's Center lot on S. College Avenue, which can be found on the map. Parking is supposedly $12 for the day, but in past experience the lot has been unattended on weekends. Another option is the Trabant Garage, which assuredly costs $12 for the day.

For lunch, the best option is Main St., which is a few blocks away from the tournament site. For those feeling particularly lazy, the Trabant Student Center is a block away from the site, but the food is mediocre and expensive.

Registration is now open on naqt.com. Hope to see you there!

Edited for registration details --JTH

Current field
Last edited by mastaloo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Re: NAQT Region 3 SCT - University of Delaware (2/9/13)

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Stony Brook is definitely bringing one team, and hopefully more. All of them would have to be DII.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

NYU MIGHT attend this site depending on the location of the New England site. How easy is it to travel to Newark via public transportation?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Ondes Martenot wrote:How easy is it to travel to Newark via public transportation?
It does not appear to be very easy at all, unfortunately. The only train seems to be Scamtrak at $90 per person. That's really annoying NAQT: maybe this was the only bid in the region, but surely you realize that the 3-5 active and fledgling teams in the city (and maybe suburbanish teams like Stony Brook or Princeton) don't have ready access to cars and there's a ton of value in having sites that are along LIRR, NJ Transit, or the MTA.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, I guess you can transfer to SEPTA in Philly and go through Wilmington apparently? And there's Megabus, but it's then an overnight trip.

EDIT: Nevermind again, the SEPTA Regional Rail looks like it will only get you there Friday evening and is more expensive than Megabus.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

I wouldn't recommend taking Amtrak either. As previously noted, your best options would be to take Megabus (which goes directly to Newark) or take the train to Philly and transfer to SEPTA. However, both of these options require an overnight stay. There are plenty of hotels in the area (I found one for $83) and there is a university shuttle which provides easy access to and from campus.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

marnold wrote:That's really annoying NAQT: maybe this was the only bid in the region, but surely you realize that the 3-5 active and fledgling teams in the city (and maybe suburbanish teams like Stony Brook or Princeton) don't have ready access to cars and there's a ton of value in having sites that are along LIRR, NJ Transit, or the MTA.
Delaware's was the only bid in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast, and we would welcome an additional bid from a site easily accessible by rail in the Northeast Corridor.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Rikku

marnold wrote:That's really annoying NAQT: maybe this was the only bid in the region, but surely you realize that the 3-5 active and fledgling teams in the city (and maybe suburbanish teams like Stony Brook or Princeton) don't have ready access to cars and there's a ton of value in having sites that are along LIRR, NJ Transit, or the MTA.
How many teams at colleges fitting this description could actually host this tournament if they wanted to? I know my school can't, and apparently NYU can't either.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Like I said, if Delaware was the only bid, so be it: it's hardly the end of the world since it just means it has to be an overnight trip to a rather inconvenient location, which is probably standard for a decent number teams going to SCTs. But that said, clearly the hosting capacity exists: we're hosting quite a bit next semester including Nats so we had and have no plans to bid, but we certainly could; Princeton obviously could since they hosted successfully last year; Penn is in this region and we frequently do that as a morning trip; there are some quizbowl vets and there seem to be quite a few eager high schoolers running around NYC who could be staffers to help supplement for other schools, etc.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

marnold wrote:Like I said, if Delaware was the only bid, so be it: it's hardly the end of the world since it just means it has to be an overnight trip to a rather inconvenient location, which is probably standard for a decent number teams going to SCTs. But that said, clearly the hosting capacity exists: we're hosting quite a bit next semester including Nats so we had and have no plans to bid, but we certainly could; Princeton obviously could since they hosted successfully last year; Penn is in this region and we frequently do that as a morning trip; there are some quizbowl vets and there seem to be quite a few eager high schoolers running around NYC who could be staffers to help supplement for other schools, etc.
It'd be nice if we could compare the travel costs to Delaware with those of a Northeast bid...
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Stop whining and bid, you bellyachers.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

GW is interested, assuming we can secure transportation.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

UVA will be attending this site. Number of teams to come once we've been back to practice and can discuss.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

So it looks like UVA, UMD, Yale, and Penn will all be going to one site. Lets hope that D-value algorithm is good enough.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

To be the man, Eric, you have to beat the man.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Important Bird Area

For the record, we do hope to announce a New England site in the near future.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:So it looks like UVA, UMD, Yale, and Penn will all be going to one site. Lets hope that D-value algorithm is good enough.
UMD B is looking forward to going 0-whatever again this year!
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Original post updated with location information and other details.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

So who all from Georgetwon and Maryland is going? Due to this being announced toward the end of the semester/beginning of break, there wasn't enough time for paperwork to get through for GW to actually send a team, so I'll be going solo and would like to be able to get a ride if possible.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

I'm playing solo from Georgetown. If my other possible rides fall through, we can look into splitting the cost of me renting a car.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Courvoisier Winetavius Richardson wrote:
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:So it looks like UVA, UMD, Yale, and Penn will all be going to one site. Lets hope that D-value algorithm is good enough.
UMD B is looking forward to going 0-whatever again this year!
You guys should register before registration closes on the 5th, then.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Now that the field has closed, the schedules are as follows: Division I will play a full round robin (with one bye per team) for a total of 10 games, and we will hold an advantaged final if necessary. We're waiting for an eighth team to register, but if they do, Division II will play a full round robin and rebracket into top four and bottom four for a total of 10 games. These scheduling changes have been updated in the original post.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Important Bird Area

mastaloo wrote:We're waiting for an eighth [Division II] team to register, but if they do, Division II will play a full round robin and rebracket into top four and bottom four for a total of 10 games.
This Division II position has been claimed.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Is there any chance of scaring up a 12th DI team, to avoid byes at an NAQT event and allow a schedule with more than 10 games? Neither of those things seem desirable to me, though of course you can't get around certain scheduling necessities. I'm assuming Delaware lacks the staffing capacity to run a house team?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

mastaloo wrote:In terms of parking, the best option would be the Visitor's Center lot on S. College Avenue, which can be found on the map. Parking is supposedly $12 for the day, but in past experience the lot has been unattended on weekends. Another option is the Trabant Garage, which assuredly costs $12 for the day.
When I was on campus for the October tournament, I paid 50 cents to park in that visitors lot. I'm hoping the same will be true on Saturday. (Formerly, the cost to park in the garages wasn't this ridiculous.)
DumbJaques wrote:I'm assuming Delaware lacks the staffing capacity to run a house team?
Since like 20 people are needed to run the tournament, this is definitely the case. And even if the team did throw some people together, you would just beat them by 600 anyway, since all the people who could handle D1 material are staffing.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

If someone can scrape up another D1 team, we have enough staff to run a 12 team round robin. As Bill noted, we can't.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Important Bird Area

DumbJaques wrote:Is there any chance of scaring up a 12th DI team, to avoid byes at an NAQT event and allow a schedule with more than 10 games?
Teams interested in this option (GW?) should contact me to register.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Is it possible to make a schedule with more than 10 games even without a 12th team? Rounds are capped at 20 minutes, and some teams are travelling from pretty far away to play just a little over three hours of quizbowl.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

You could do a round robin followed by a 4/4/3 split for 12 or 13 games in 14 rounds, but the downside would be you won't have any extra packets after finals.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

vcuEvan wrote:Is it possible to make a schedule with more than 10 games even without a 12th team? Rounds are capped at 20 minutes, and some teams are travelling from pretty far away to play just a little over three hours of quizbowl.
I might be able to suggest something, but I need a reminder on a few points:

- In cases where 2nd and 3rd are both 1 game behind 1st, is it expected that 2nd and 3rd play a full round (or half?) followed by an advantaged final? If so, that means up to 3 packets have to be held back for this.

- Since there are 4, do the undergrad teams also get a final (and is it still played if the highest undergrad team has a 2 or more game advantage)?

Depending on the answers to these questions, it seems to me that up to 14 of the 16 packets are already spoken for.
Bill Tressler,
Important Bird Area

Bad Boy Bill wrote: - In cases where 2nd and 3rd are both 1 game behind 1st, is it expected that 2nd and 3rd play a full round followed by an advantaged final? If so, that means up to 3 packets have to be held back for this.
If there are three packets available, then this is certainly the optimal solution. It is possible to have a situation in which there are not enough remaining packets (due to some combination of large field sizes/tiebreakers/moderator error).
Bad Boy Bill wrote:Since there are 4, do the undergrad teams also get a final (and is it still played if the highest undergrad team has a 2 or more game advantage)?
There is no Undergraduate final unless two or more UG-eligible teams have identical records at the end of play.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

vcuEvan wrote:Is it possible to make a schedule with more than 10 games even without a 12th team? Rounds are capped at 20 minutes, and some teams are travelling from pretty far away to play just a little over three hours of quizbowl.
18 rounds of UVA vs Penn vs Maryland on the Knot go go go
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
18 rounds of UVA vs Penn vs Maryland on the Knot go go go
Yeah you guys go be Division Zero.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Underestimate Cornell, NYU, Princeton, and VCU at your own peril. (underestimate Evan Nagler all you like)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

I have word from George Mason that they're planning to play but haven't registered yet, we'll see what happens.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:18 rounds of UVA vs Penn vs Maryland on the Knot go go go
I volunteer to read for this.

Did somebody drop? I'm only seeing 10 D1 teams today, which would simplify matters. Both Alex and I think we can do extra rounds. What exactly that will look like can get finalized after the field size settles.
Bill Tressler,
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:18 rounds of UVA vs Penn vs Maryland on the Knot go go go
I volunteer to read for this.

Did somebody drop? I'm only seeing 10 D1 teams today, which would simplify matters. Both Alex and I think we can do extra rounds. What exactly that will look like can get finalized after the field size settles.
It looks like Penn B dropped?
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

So there apparently is a major snowstorm hitting the northeast Friday night/Saturday morning. The forecast could obviously change but this could potentially screw around with the Delaware site (and possibly the MIT and Cornell sites as well).
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Important Bird Area

Penn B has dropped, so the Division I field is closed at 10.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Ondes Martenot wrote:So there apparently is a major snowstorm hitting the northeast Friday night/Saturday morning. The forecast could obviously change but this could potentially screw around with the Delaware site (and possibly the MIT and Cornell sites as well).
What I'm seeing at this present second is a "winter mix" here but snow north of us. This wouldn't be the first time when everyone north of us had travel challenges but everyone south of us got rain. We'll keep an eye on this.

As for the schedule, Alex and I came up with two ideas. Which do you like better?

- A top 6/bottom 4 second phase, with the stipulation that if a team has a 2 game lead no final is needed. The downside to this could be that a tiebreaker or packet mistake might leave less than two packets for a final.

- A top 4/bottom 6, with 1-2 playing an advantaged final and 3-4 playing for third.
Bill Tressler,
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Cornell, NYU, Penn, Princeton: Which of you guys are coming down on Friday and which of you are trying to make it Saturday morning? That is, what kind of drops are we looking at if the snowstorm hits?
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Post by Ras superfamily »

We are driving to Delaware on Saturday morning
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

We are also supposed to drive down Saturday morning...
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Ras superfamily wrote:We are driving to Delaware on Saturday morning
Come rain or shine.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
Ras superfamily wrote:We are driving to Delaware on Saturday morning
Come rain or shine.
Snow is no problem.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Ugh, Canadians.

We're coming up Saturday morning, but Delaware is really quite close to us and pretty much a straight shot up the highway, so unless the roads are utterly undriveable (in which case I expect the tournament would be postponed), we'll be there.

To clarify on Bill's DI schedule ideas, are we looking at prelim RR + playoff RR (in brackets of either 6/4 or 4/6)? That is, a total of 14 and 12 games for top bracket teams, respectively? If so, I'd vote for 6/4 (more games, which at SCT everyone generally wants) and more teams in the top bracket. It seems perfectly reasonable to use ppg if we have to break a tie to see who the second team in an advantaged final is.

(Does NAQT still use the rule that a final has to occur regardless of whether a team has cleared the field? Either way, I don't see an issue with the above plan).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Important Bird Area

DumbJaques wrote: To clarify on Bill's DI schedule ideas, are we looking at prelim RR + playoff RR (in brackets of either 6/4 or 4/6)? That is, a total of 14 and 12 games for top bracket teams, respectively? If so, I'd vote for 6/4 (more games, which at SCT everyone generally wants) and more teams in the top bracket. It seems perfectly reasonable to use ppg if we have to break a tie to see who the second team in an advantaged final is.

(Does NAQT still use the rule that a final has to occur regardless of whether a team has cleared the field? Either way, I don't see an issue with the above plan).
SCT uses standard advantaged-final policy, so it is possible for a team to win the tournament by clearing the field.

For a 10-team field in which the teams wish to play more than a full round-robin, we would recommend prelim RR + 6/4 playoff split.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

If everyone is alright with breaking a tie by PPG for the advantaged final, I'm fine with running a 6/4 playoff bracket. If not, then we'll run 4/6.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Rikku

Ondes Martenot wrote:We are also supposed to drive down Saturday morning...
As are we.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

mastaloo wrote:If everyone is alright with breaking a tie by PPG for the advantaged final, I'm fine with running a 6/4 playoff bracket. If not, then we'll run 4/6.
I'd be fine with that.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Important Bird Area

mastaloo wrote:If everyone is alright with breaking a tie by PPG for the advantaged final
This is fine by NAQT. (In general, we oppose statistical tiebreakers, but they are slightly preferable when the only alternative is "there are no more packets, sorry.")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF