Barrington Invitational Tournament X

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Barrington Invitational Tournament X

Post by the return of AHAN »

Dear Scholastic Bowl Coach,
Your school is invited to participate in the tenth annual Barrington Invitational Scholastic Bowl Tournament on Saturday, March 16th, 2013. This tournament will be staged at Barrington Middle School – STATION CAMPUS (215 Eastern Ave), Barrington, IL. Each match will consist of 20 toss-up (individual) questions, and a maximum of 20 bonus (team) questions overall. This middle/junior high school tournament will be conducted using modified ACF rules to govern match play. To summarize, the mACF rules for bonus questions will be the same as what you may have experienced if your team attended the Northwestern Jr. Wildcat, or the last three editions of the Barrington Invitational. Moreover, the modern IHSA scholastic bowl rules are nearly the same (adopted May 2012).
• All bonus questions will be 3 parts and worth a total of 30 points. Each part is asked one at a time, with the controlling team having up to 10 seconds (15 on math computations) to respond.
• Players on both teams may quietly confer, even while the bonus question is being read (a definite departure from the current, outmoded IESA practice), but any such discussion should not disrupt the other team’s ability to hear the question.
• The first answer clearly directed towards the moderator will serve as the team’s answer. If conflicting answers are offered, the captain will be prompted to choose. If an answer is incorrect, the rebounding team will be offered a chance to answer within 3 seconds (or the remainder of time on math computation, if more than 3 seconds remain).
• If neither team answers correctly, the correct answer is read and the next bonus part is read to the controlling team.
Each team is limited to 8 players, and we are also only going to permit substitutions at halftime, or prior to overtime. Each school is welcome to enter multiple teams, but each team must be accompanied by an adult or high schooler. I am also going to only provide a moderator for each room, which means a coach from each team will need to share the scoring duties, unless the moderator wishes to keep their own score. Each school will be guaranteed six games. As with last year, teams will be separated into three divisions, with a ‘challenge’ division, a ‘standard’ division, and a ‘B’ division. The first team entered from a given school must be in either the ‘challenge’ or ‘standard’ division; the second team can be entered into any division. The ‘challenge’ division is geared for teams that expect to win an IESA regional and vie for a sectional title, or plan to attend the Middle School National Championship Tournament in Chicago this year.
Please fax the attached reservation form as soon as possible, or send me an e-mail ([email protected]) to hold your spot. You are free to send the $70.00/team entry fee (payable to Barrington Middle School, Station Campus) at a later time, but I would like to have all payments in hand by February 28th. A letter of confirmation with further details will be e-mailed in late January. Entry fees will not be refunded to teams that withdraw after February 28th, 2013.
We look forward to your participation on March 16th, 2013. Teams should arrive no later than 8:30 A.M. The final tournament games should conclude by 4:00 P.M. I can be reached via e-mail at [email protected]
Attachments
2013 Rules using a mACF format.doc
(36.5 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Scholastic bowl tournament entry form2013.doc
(38.5 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Barrington Invitational Tournament X

Tournament field:

CHALLENGE (10): Barrington Station A, Barrington Station B, Normal Metcalf A, Barrington Prairie A, Lincolnshire Daniel Wright A, Elm Grove (WI) St. Mary's A, Mt. Prospect St. Raymond's A, Buffalo Grove Twin Groves A, Rockford Marshall A, Lincolnshire Daniel Wright B
STANDARD (24): Normal Metcalf B, Buffalo Grove Aptakisic, Barrington Prairie B, Rockford Keith Country Day, Villa Park Albright A, Northfield Sunset Ridge, Rolling Meadows Plum Grove A, Cary JHS A, Deerfield Holy Cross, Rockford Marshall B, Bloomington JHS, Schiller Park Lincoln A, Lincolnshire Daniel Wright C, Chicago St. Edward, Crystal Lake Lundahl, Cary SS Peter & Paul, Lake in the Hills Marlowe A, Buffalo Grove Twin Groves B, New Lenox Liberty A, Crystal Lake Hannah Beardsley A, River Forest Roosevelt, Antioch UGS, DeKalb Huntley, New Lenox Martino A
"B" TEAMS (16): Barrington Station C, Normal Metcalf C, Barrington Prairie C, Palatine Quest B, Rolling Meadows Plum Grove B, Cary JHS B, Elm Grove (WI) St. Mary's B, Elm Grove (WI) St. Mary's C, Schiller Park Lincoln B, Mt. Prospect St. Raymond's B, Arlington Hts. Our Lady of the Wayside B, Lake in the Hills Marlowe B, New Lenox Liberty B, Crystal Lake Hannah Beadsley B, Villa Park Albright B, New Lenox Martino B,

INTEREST: Mundelein Fremont
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Oh hey, by the way, if you'd like to earn some decent cash and staff this event, please let me know. I'm happy to privately give you the particulars on compensation, but I can all but assure you, it's more than you got at your last event! :wink:
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

Currrent List of Staffers
If you think your name should be on this list, drop me a note!

Deputy Tournament Director/Stats: Donald Taylor
Stats: Kristin Strey

D. Riley
J. Greenthal
M. Taylor
M. Laudermith
M. Perovanovic
N. O'Laughlin
B. Fischer
M. Falk
J. Geiger
G. Peterson
N. Schermer
S. Vissapragada
Baasit ? (friend of Shreyas)
I. Ducharme

5 school district employees
Jeff Price
Colby Burnett
Lulu

Post by Colby Burnett »

I can do this. Just need to work out transportation and not make the state finals. Should be easy enough.
It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man. ~Jack Handey

Fenwick High School (player) 1997-2001
Northwestern 2001-2005
Fenwick High School (Coach) 2011 - 2017
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Colby Burnett wrote:I can do this. Just need to work out transportation
I can probably help with this again if it's not on anyone's way directly. (Ali?)
Colby Burnett wrote:and not make the state finals
You're on your own there. Although it should be possible to do both; I am.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Full stats are available under the "Stat reports" header on the right side of this page.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
the return of AHAN
Auron

Yeah, this happened today. The results were as follows;
CHALLENGE:
1st = Barrington Station A
2nd = Rockford Marshall A
3rd = Barrington Station B
4th = Mt. Prospect St. Raymond's A (aside, I learned today that Patrick is NOT planning to go to Loyola; rather he plans to attend Prospect HS.) :shock:

STANDARD:
1st = Bloomington JHS
2nd = Rolling Meadows Plum Grove A (aside #2, Plum Grove is Fremd's primary feeder; so this championship game was kind of proxy revenge, no???)
3rd = DeKalb Huntley
4th = River Forest Roosevelt
Consolation Champs: Northfield Sunset Ridge
Other Consolation playoff winners: New Lenox Martino, Deerfield Holy Cross, Barrington Prairie B, Rockford Marshall B

B(Novice):
1st = Palatine Quest B
2nd = Rolling Meadows Plum Grove B
3rd = Barrington Station C
4th = Cary JHS

Special thanks to all of the staffers who came out to help! Mike Perovanovic, Donald Taylor, and Kristin Strey on stats, Jonah Greenthal, Mike Laudermith, Brad Fischer, Greg Peterson, Natalie Schermer, Michael Falk, Neva O'Laughlin, Aakash Patel, John Geiger, Rob Baker, Mark Taylor, David Riley, Adam Sperber, Steve Server, Kush Patel, and Irene Ducharme. And I haven't even mentioned the amazing job the high schoolers did! Shreyas V, Baasit J, Greg K, Rahi S, Connor M, Eli S, Andrew C, Atul N, Jacob W, Clare H, Bryce C, Anish D, Andrew M, Max P, Patrick K, Liam W, Teagan K, and Joe C. Everyone loved their work!! Anyone who has ever thought of putting on a middle school tournament should seriously consider tapping the DEEP well of potential staffing talent available in the HS ranks. I'd wager this tournament's high school staff alone was far superior to the staff of some high school tournaments! :smile:
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

I read for the "B Team" (novice) division final match; it was between Quest B and Plum Grove B, so unless the wrong two teams were playing that match, I feel like second place should be Plum Grove B. The stats seem to confirm this as well.
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Metea Valley High School '13
the return of AHAN
Auron

shrey96 wrote:I read for the "B Team" (novice) division final match; it was between Quest B and Plum Grove B, so unless the wrong two teams were playing that match, I feel like second place should be Plum Grove B. The stats seem to confirm this as well.
You're correct, I was typing from memory. Too many groves in this tournament, IMO...
:oops:

And on that note, the future looks VERY bright for Fremd, as Plum Grove is their main feeder school!
Jeff Price