Illinois '12-'13

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Re: Illinois '12-'13

Post by Emil Nolde »

Um, no, I don't think so. Are we talking about the same guy? I mean the Northmont guy. From Ohio. Which would make me think that they most likely wouldn't attend. Besides, Macomb was there last year, so i expect them to attend and therefore even if he was, it wouldn't be the biggest threat.

And really, my perception of quizbowl isn't skewed because of the immortality of Illinois quizbowl. More I would say the opposite is true. If you look at a map of Illinois, you'll quickly realize what an enclave Carbondale is. Many, if not most of the matches we play would make KC look really close, even if I was attending. When I was in middle school, I knew nothing of good quizbowl, and most high school teams where I live also know next-to nothing, perhaps in part because they've convinced themselves that we are too good for it to be worth their while. The consequence bad for everyone, making it that they don't really have a reason to improve, and in order to have decent competition we have to spend a ridiculous amount of resources, for both the school and players. I don't have a lot of money; I wish for once we could have a tournament that was fun to go to, but didn't require that I bring $30 for meals. Earlier in this thread we discussed Tristan's inability to come to tournaments this year, and while our administration is, I think, much kinder to us, our geographical difficulties are much larger.

The fact is, anyone can get good at quizbowl, and I wish other schools further southwould realize that; it would make our job a lot easier. You could perhaps even say that with the possible exception of us, the main reason Illinois consistently fields several good teams is because of the ridiculously dense population of suburban Chicago, which facilitates competition between schools with relatively equal sized talent pools, and thus leads to all teams involved trying harder and getting better and doing both of those things at a much faster rate than they would have otherwise if those same teams were spread across a larger area.threat.
Last edited by Emil Nolde on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

thyringe_supine wrote:I mean the Northmont guy. From Ohio. Which would make me think that they most likely wouldn't attend.
BMI3 field update wrote:Northmont
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Charles Martel wrote:Go read books
I've heard that can be fun.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

thyringe_supine wrote:Um, no, I don't think so. Are we talking about the same guy? I mean the Northmont guy. From Ohio. Which would make me think that they most likely wouldn't attend. Besides, Macomb was there last year, so i expect them to attend and therefore even if he was, it wouldn't be the biggest threat.
Northmont has played in Tennessee and New Jersey this year, as well as Conneticut and even Illinois last year. They're one of the most well-traveled programs in the nation. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a Northmont coming to a tournament near you.

Sam and Tristan are extremely talented and strong players, as exemplified by their respective fourth and ninth place individual finishes at the 2012 HSNCT. And frankly, while I haven't seen you personally play, I doubt you are better than either of them so to say one of them isn't "the biggest threat" compared to the other is one of those things your coaches probably see and think to themselves "why is he wasting his time arguing this crap when he could be working himself towards being on that echelon of elite players he's talking about".
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Um, no man.

What I'm trying to get at is that the gap between fourth and ninth place might not be as small as you think it is. Tristan and Dylan were guys that could go toe-to-toe with Ben and Srinivas, and they beat us on multiple occasions. If we can actually gather our best team, Besides, I thought that the whole point of this was to say that I am, in fact, a good player?

. . .
Wait wait wait fourth and ninth . . .
That's not right. Even if it is, I don't really care. It must've been a really bad day for Tristan or something. If we can't beat Northmont, then I would put money on Macomb beating Northmont.

Also, I have never been to HSNCT, and therefore don't really know what to do with comparisons stemming from performance at it. I guess it's a really hard set, because at my last tournament I had stats that would've beaten his performance there

EDIT: OK, I have some stats from a tournament I know better. He far outshined me at NSC, but he then again, I've been improving a lot since then.
Last edited by Emil Nolde on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Zetterman

Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

dude it doesn't matter if you aren't top 9 or top 4 in Illinois. You're still too good for the intended field.
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

I'm not arguing, I'm just saying it would've been good to know.
James Zetterman

shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

For players being considered for All-Sectional/All-State teams or Team Illinois, is it advisable to use stats from tournaments that player went to unaffiliated? My gut instinct is no for the first, and yes for the second, but I would just like to make sure. It might end up mattering for some of our school's All-Sectional nominees.
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Metea Valley High School '13
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

For the former, there is a further distinction that only 5-on-5 tournaments can be officially "counted", although during discussion (at least, during the Maine South Sectional seeding meeting) other tournaments can be mentioned, but even there people usually don't mention unaffiliated tournaments. For Team Illin ois nominations, virtually any tournament has been fair game.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

David Riley wrote:For the former, there is a further distinction that only 5-on-5 tournaments can be officially "counted"
This is simply not true at all. Mr. Riley is confusing All-State with IHSA Seeding. They happen at the same place and time, but are unrelated. All-State can count anything that the player went to, with the exception of subject specific tournaments (History Bowl, Science Bowl, etc.). I would recommend not having your coach submit it with unaffiliated tournament results on it, simply because other coaches in your sectional might not like that and might contact the IHSA and all of a sudden we have a bunch of problems when really no rules were broken.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I stand corrected, I misunderstood the question. 4-on-4 students can certainly be counted.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Masonic sectional assignments are here http://www.masonicbowl.org/
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

IHSA Sectional Assignments are up. Class A & Class AA
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

IHSSBCA just sent out a mass email to all coaches to help make them aware of important upcoming dates. This is the version that was sent to nonmembers:
IHSSBCA wrote:This message is being sent to coaches from the Illinois High School Scholastic Bowl Coaches Association. There are a lot of important dates coming up, and we want to make sure that you are aware of them.

A. IHSSBCA is a volunteer organization that works hard to improve Scholastic Bowl in Illinois. To be successful, we need members. Please become a member by using the form at http://www.ihssbca.org/pdf/membership_form.pdf

B. All teams entered in the IHSA State Series must enter a Team Record Report by Friday, February 1. Failure to do so results in disqualification. To do this, you need your school’s password, which you can get from your school’s IHSA Representative. To log in, click the "schools and officials login" button in the upper right corner on the home page at http://www.ihsa.org.

C. In order to produce reliable seeds and All-Sectional Teams, and to nominate your students for All-Sectional and All-State, IHSSBCA strongly encourages coaches to attend their Seeding Meeting on Wednesday, February 6. The meeting is hosted by the Sectional Host.
Class A Sectional Assignments: http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities/Sc ... assign.htm
Class AA Sectional Assignments: http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities/Sc ... assign.htm
The dates of the IHSA State Series are Regionals on March 4, Sectionals on March 9, and State on March 15. Important documents such as the Terms and Conditions, Rule Book, and Case Manual can be found at http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities/Sc ... cBowl.aspx

D. To nominate members of your team for All-Sectional, follow the instructions at http://www.ihssbca.org/pdf/allsectional ... ctions.pdf
The nomination form is at http://www.ihssbca.org/pdf/allsectional ... onform.pdf
If you have any questions on All-Sectional or All-State, contact Mathew Laird.
The top twelve students in each Sectional are chosen for the All-Sectional Team, and there are First Team and Second Team All-State Teams in each class.

E. Sectional assignments for the Masonic Academic Bowl are posted at http://www.masonicbowl.org/
Questions about Masonic Academic Bowl should be addressed to Dale Thayer.
The dates of the Masonic Academic Bowl are Sectionals on February 16 and State on March 2.

F. The NAQT State Tournament is February 23 at Bloomington High School. If you wish to see which teams have qualified, apply for a wildcard spot, or register your team for the tournament, use the links at http://www.ihssbca.org

G. If you wish to nominate students for Team Illinois, the deadline is February 1. Use the form at http://www.ihssbca.org/pdf/2013-team-illinois-form.pdf
The tryouts are in Champaign/Urbana on February 10, and the team will compete at Ohio State University June 14-17. This team is not connected to All-State. This is a group of four students who compete against teams from other states.

H. To stay informed about Illinois Scholastic Bowl, visit our website at http://www.ihssbca.org. You can also follow us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/IHSSBCA> and Twitter <https://twitter.com/ihssbca>.
A national forum for discussing quizbowl that is not run by IHSSBCA is the Quizbowl Resource Center <http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/>.

I. Coach Michael Sacks is collecting information about conference participation so that IHSSBCA can make more informed decisions to support conferences in Illinois. To help him out, please send answers to the following questions to Michael Sacks:
1) What teams are in your conference? Can you send a list of coaches with email addresses?
2) Where does your conference get its questions from?
3) On what dates does your conference season begin and end?
4) What is the format of your conference schedule and/or tournament(s)? (Does every team play every other team once? Do you use quadrangles? Do you use single elimination?)
5) What statistics do you keep on teams and/or individuals?
6) Do you post any conference information on the internet? If yes, what is the URL?
7) Do you have a Frosh/Soph or Junior Varsity division?

Thank you for making it through this long message. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help Scholastic Bowl in Illinois.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

. . .
That's not right. Even if it is, I don't really care. It must've been a really bad day for Tristan or something. If we can't beat Northmont, then I would put money on Macomb beating Northmont.
Sorry, I am late to this thread- I was just referred to it by another coach in Ohio. I for one was disappointed to see Carbondale drop from the tournament (though I understand it was illness related so it is definitely understandable), as we were looking forward to playing you as well. We try to get to Illinois at least once a year for a tournament, and since we weren't able to get to New Trier this year, made it a point to come to this tournament with the hope of playing Macomb and Carbondale. It was nice to see Sam and Tristan go head to head twice that day though- both put up incredible stat lines throughout the day.

As to the point about putting up better stats that Sam at a recent tournament, I think it is important to understand the difference between sets and competition. While your stats show that you are clearly not a novice player (which it appears was the original point of this thread before the derailment) and are obviously very good, putting up incredible stats lines on a set with pretty easy power marks in the standard division of a tournament do not compare to a 4th place finish at nationals on a much more challenging set against much stronger competition. Sam is an incredibly talented player (almost unanimous freshman of the year in Madden's quiz bowl awards last year for what that's worth), and I think his stat lines and tournament finishes speak for themselves, including at the BMI tournament last weekend.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Stained Diviner
Auron

If you are planning on nominating somebody or being nominated by somebody for Team Illinois, today is the last day.
David Reinstein
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

djones wrote:
. . .
Sorry, I am late to this thread- I was just referred to it by another coach in Ohio. I for one was disappointed to see Carbondale drop from the tournament (though I understand it was illness related so it is definitely understandable), as we were looking forward to playing you as well. We try to get to Illinois at least once a year for a tournament, and since we weren't able to get to New Trier this year, made it a point to come to this tournament with the hope of playing Macomb and Carbondale. It was nice to see Sam and Tristan go head to head twice that day though- both put up incredible stat lines throughout the day.

As to the point about putting up better stats that Sam at a recent tournament, I think it is important to understand the difference between sets and competition. While your stats show that you are clearly not a novice player (which it appears was the original point of this thread before the derailment) and are obviously very good, putting up incredible stats lines on a set with pretty easy power marks in the standard division of a tournament do not compare to a 4th place finish at nationals on a much more challenging set against much stronger competition. Sam is an incredibly talented player (almost unanimous freshman of the year in Madden's quiz bowl awards last year for what that's worth), and I think his stat lines and tournament finishes speak for themselves, including at the BMI tournament last weekend.
I wouldn't ever mean to undermine Sam, and now I certainly congratulate you guys on a job extremely well done. He is quite obviously among the elite players, and I wouldn't hesitate to recognize it right here, right now. However, at the time I posted that, I knew, and of course I still do know, much more about Tristan than about Sam. I've played against and observed Tristan probably for about the equivalent of 10-15 matches. I've never met Sam, and also, being from Illinois, I have heard much less about him. The information gap is absolutely humongous. I just stuck to who I knew was one of the best players in the country, instead of going with a guy who I basically knew in the general terms of "Most people think he's the best player, in a large group of people who aren't generally good players." (referring to the best freshman Quizzy here).

Also, for the record, the reason we didn't end up attending wasn't because we wouldn't have been able to compete, it was just because we couldn't field enough players for our school to send us. At least in our case, tournament attendance is largely based on enthusiasm and multitudes of players attending, not whether the chance of success is good or not. Of course, this is something Tristan Willey is quite familiar with. We knew that I would be the only A team member able to attend in the first place, we scrapped it because junior varsity players started dropping in the last week to the point where it would've been just Elizabeth and I.

I was really unhappy to not be attending, because in general, we (our full-strength A team, this doesn't speak for tournaments where we attended as the JV team, such as NTV, HFT) only have lost to teams that are older than us. Among sophomores, I've seldom had really good competition from people that aren't my teammates, and don't have older people on their team. I think it would be a good thing for me to lose to a team without having the cushy excuse of "Oh well, Tristan/Dylan/Morgan and Ian (to a lesser extent Anton and Sabrina, or Greg and Rohan) are seniors/juniors with a lot more experience under their belt, so if I lose to them, it's because of that, and not because I need to work harder." An experience like that would either motivate me to stop giving myself an invisible handicap, and get down to business about studying more, or alternatively, send me spiraling into self-loathing and depression (hopefully the former). Of course, though, seeing Sam win definitely reduces my mental justification in letting myself off so easily, and for that I'm grateful to him and to you. So, by all means, attend as many tournaments as you are able, I definitely want to play with you guys soon.
James Zetterman

kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Hey guys,

UChicago is going to be hosting ACF Regionals, and I was wondering if a few coaches could help staff the tournament. We can't really offer much compensation other than a tasty breakfast, lunch, and the warm feeling of spending your well-earned Saturday helping college kids play quizbowl. If you wouldn't mind, send me an e-mail through the button on the side-bar.

EDIT: Donald has just informed me that this is NAQT State so you should probably staff that instead if you can. Though, if for some reason, you're still in Chicago; you should try to staff this.
Kay, Chicago.
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

So.... how about those IHSA Regional postings?
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
Stained Diviner
Auron

Congratulations to Team Illinois: Dylan Minarik (Belvidere North), Alex Pandya (Rockford Auburn), Morgan Venkus (Loyola), and Tristan Willey (Macomb). The team will be coached by Sharon Lorinskas (Carbondale) and Jay Winter (Greenville).
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Last year, IHSA promised to post pairings "about 4 pm on Sunday, December 31, 1899." I predict that they will come closer to their goal this year.
David Reinstein
thrillhouse
Lulu

Post by thrillhouse »

Tim Coughlan
Scholastic Bowl Coach, Bloomington High School
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

I don't understand our Sectional.
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If you didn't make it to Masonics states but want to play a tournament on March 2nd, the University of Kentucky's hosting a tournament on that date. We have one open spot (minimum) right now and have great teams from Michigan, South Carolina, Ohio and Tennessee, as well as Kentucky, obviously.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
CometsCoach
Lulu

Post by CometsCoach »

garciaja wrote:I don't understand our Sectional.
I don't understand any sectional or regional.
Jay Winter
Iowa Quiz Bowl League Founder & CEO
VP for Outreach, PACE
Mathematics Teacher & Quiz Bowl Head Coach, Waukee Northwest High School (IA)
Co-Owner of Quiz Bowl Systems/Slammer Systems
thrillhouse
Lulu

Post by thrillhouse »

To Jay:

What do you mean you don't understand how Regional assignments work?

The answer is very simple. These assignments are created in a giant aquarium in Bloomington, in a secret room hidden far beneath the IHSA's office building. When creating Regional assignments, there are balls in the tank with the names of all the teams in the Sectional on one side, minus the Regional hosts, who have a small cave with their name over it on the opposite side of the tank. From there, a group of trained manatees take a ball from the list of Sectional participant's name on it and bring that ball to the cave with the Regional host's name - this creates the Regional pool (the pool is literally created in a pool! You see what I did there?)

In most cases, the manatees, who were trained by Paul the World Cup Octopus prior to his passing, are usually pretty good at creating these assignments. They almost always put the corresponding seeds (1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5) in the correct Regional pool/cave, in attempt to make the most accurate Regional pool, though they sometimes make minor alterations. The rest of the Sectional teams are then placed in the Regional caves geographically, for the most part anyway. I mean, come on, they are manatees: they have a good sense of direction and don't have a GPS. On the other hand, they are manatees after all, the cows of the sea; they are not perfectly familiar with all of Illinois cartography.

Yet being trapped in a pool in Illinois, in Bloomington specifically, means they share a special hatred for Bloomington in general - that town is blamed for taking them away from their lives of leisure in the Gulf of Mexico. Why else would the following happen?

- Only ONE other Regional, A or AA, are there 3 seeds in one pool;
- NO other Regional, not in A or AA, has a 1 seed playing anything lower than a 7 - except Bloomington's;
- At NO other Regional, A or AA, are there 2 other seeded teams in with the 1 seed - except for Bloomington's;
- At NO other Sectional, A or AA, does a 4 seed have no other seeded competition.

Occam's Razor, Jay. Manatees are the simplest answer I could find.

PS: As to why the manatees were so late in making these assignments, it certainly could not have been for perfecting the assignments to uphold the coaches' seeding choices, as we have just seen a testament to that. Based on the origins of the manatees themselves, I am guessing they are Catholic and were broken up upon hearing news regarding the resignation of the pope (news travels fast amongst the manatees, even the captive ones).
Tim Coughlan
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

I didn't realize the writers for family guy also determined who goes to which regional
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
thrillhouse
Lulu

Post by thrillhouse »

Andrew:
I actually think they might be more effective in creating Regional assignments, despite lacking in knowledge of the state or even SB itself.
Tim Coughlan
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

thrillhouse wrote:lacking in knowledge of…SB itself.
Well, that puts them on a level playing field with the IHSA. And you know how the IHSA loves level playing fields!
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
remake20
Lulu

Post by remake20 »

As someone from Litchfield, I've never heard of anyone in our regional except Vandalia, Metro-East, and Mt Olive. I wasn't aware that the other 5 existed
Andrew T.
Litchfield '15
CometsCoach
Lulu

Post by CometsCoach »

Here's the bottom line with the matchups that are in the Greenville Sectional, manatees or no, complete with my own provincial gripes:

1. There's no earthly reason why teams such as Mascoutah and Charleston, who are either in tough leagues or are tournament-tested, belong in the preliminary round. Waterloo reported a 1-5 record and they get a free pass into the quarterfinals, while Mascoutah and Freeburg (who have at least played in one tournament) have to play each to get into the quarters. Two of our other three Regionals have this problem.

2. Because of the seeding process, Columbia is forced to go to Carbondale (2+ hour travel time) instead of going to a perfectly good regional at Belleville Althoff (about a 30 minute travel time in traffic). Mr. Carmel must travel 2 1/2 hours to Greenville to play maybe one match instead of cutting travel time and going to Carbondale. I'm pretty confident every Sectional has this issue to some extent. It's exacerbated when you have a wide geographical area to cover and the hosts overload one side of that area.

3. As much as I love my team and believe in their ability to play well, there is no way my team is a legitimate #2 seed. We have a number of nice wins on our 2012-13 resume; we have gone back and forth with Marquette (#3), not defeated Highland in many attempts (#4), handily defeated Alton (#5) in our only meeting under Masonic rules, traded close wins with Althoff (#6), Columbia (#7), and O'Fallon (#8, with our win against them coming at Masonic). I love the competitive spirit of my team and they have played a LOT of close matches this year, but we're probably more like a 4 or 5 seed. The coaches need more information about each team to make good decisions during the seeding process. I can't confirm this yet, but I'm told that the IHSA's process wasn't even followed at one seeding meeting. I can only imagine how much that compromises an already questionable process.

If you have any serious proposals as to how the IHSA can fix these issues (or other ones I'm not listing here that may vex your own Sectional), e-mail me. I'd love to be able to take a lot of different proposals to the AdCo Meeting in May.
Jay Winter
VP for Outreach, PACE
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

CometsCoach wrote: 3. As much as I love my team and believe in their ability to play well, there is no way my team is a legitimate #2 seed. We have a number of nice wins on our 2012-13 resume; we have gone back and forth with Marquette (#3), not defeated Highland in many attempts (#4), handily defeated Alton (#5) in our only meeting under Masonic rules, traded close wins with Althoff (#6), Columbia (#7), and O'Fallon (#8, with our win against them coming at Masonic). I love the competitive spirit of my team and they have played a LOT of close matches this year, but we're probably more like a 4 or 5 seed. The coaches need more information about each team to make good decisions during the seeding process. I can't confirm this yet, but I'm told that the IHSA's process wasn't even followed at one seeding meeting. I can only imagine how much that compromises an already questionable process.

If you have any serious proposals as to how the IHSA can fix these issues (or other ones I'm not listing here that may vex your own Sectional), e-mail me. I'd love to be able to take a lot of different proposals to the AdCo Meeting in May.
More than most teams I suppose someone from Carbondale, like me, has little reason to be angry about how the bracketing process works, at least from firsthand experience.

However, I definitely think you're selling your team a little short, even though I haven't personally played you guys this year. I would say that the Greenville sectional is probably one of the most well balanced, on the whole, with the seven teams you mentioned so evenly matched (at least from my experience) that they would be difficult to seed no matter what species was assigned the task.
James Zetterman

CometsCoach
Lulu

Post by CometsCoach »

James, you have a fair point and it is well noted. My kids are capable of winning just about any match. I don't believe I'm selling my own team short here, I think I'm being realistic and giving the other seeded teams in our Sectional the respect they deserve. Having said that, when it comes to the seeding process, we never beat Highland this year (or last, for that matter). Coaches who voted didn't know that, because during the process you are supposed to lobby for your team and you have one minute to do so.

Look, I have to give the IHSA lots of credit for taking some major steps to improve the match format and the Rule Book. However, the seeding and bracketing process is far from acceptable; and this coming from a coach who thinks that his team got a favorable Regional draw assuming we can win our first match. That's a big assumption.
Jay Winter
VP for Outreach, PACE
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

CometsCoach wrote:James, you have a fair point and it is well noted. My kids are capable of winning just about any match. I don't believe I'm selling my own team short here, I think I'm being realistic and giving the other seeded teams in our Sectional the respect they deserve. Having said that, when it comes to the seeding process, we never beat Highland this year (or last, for that matter). Coaches who voted didn't know that, because during the process you are supposed to lobby for your team and you have one minute to do so.

Look, I have to give the IHSA lots of credit for taking some major steps to improve the match format and the Rule Book. However, the seeding and bracketing process is far from acceptable; and this coming from a coach who thinks that his team got a favorable Regional draw assuming we can win our first match. That's a big assumption.
I misunderstood your post, thinking that "not defeated Highland in many attempts" meant that you didn't beat them every single time, rather than were unable to defeat them, which is what you actually intended to communicate. That's obviously a substantial difference.

Also, how about that Bloomington thing? The purple is wonderful on the awardstuffs.
James Zetterman

Southern Double-collared Sunbirb
Lulu

Post by Southern Double-collared Sunbirb »

So hia all!

Post-NAQT State, I'd like to make a subjective team ranking of course.

The top 3 (hard to rank, they're all about there):

1. Loyola: Morgan and Ian can combine for great ossum powers, which they use to great effect to win tournaments. Hats off.
2. Belvidere North: Dylan is great, we all know that. But his teammates are also starting to come in there, if only for a few points.
3. IMSA A: Yay us! Yes, I'm streaky. That's why I have teammates. Saieesh and Sabrina deserve more credit than they get.

A bit of a gap:
4. Macomb: Tristan's tea-fueled power storms are good, but sometimes he just doesn't feel like getting tossups.
5. Stevenson: We can beat them most of the time, but they can pull off some upsets a great deal of the time.
6. Auburn: Same deal as Stevenson, but more pronounced. They do a lot of "Oh we should get tossups"

And that's as far as I can reliably go, sorry all who aren't on there.
Maia Karpovich
IMSA (2011-2014)
Oklahoma (2014-2018)
she/they
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

If you plan to attend NSC, please get your registration in as soon as possible We are starting to fill up! I am still awaiting word from Stevenson, Bevidere North, and IMSA, Thanks!
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Stained Diviner
Auron

Congratulations to this year's All-State Teams!

Class A:
First Team
Charley Ault, Cumberland
Elliot Frankfother, Newman Central Catholic
Mark Ragle, Lutheran Schools Association (Decatur)
David Reamer, Dwight
Ben Ross, Keith Country Day
Michael Shereda, Riverton
Kyle Sottoriva, Carlinville
Zvonimir Stojanovski, Carterville
Brittany Trang, Peoria Christian
David York, Litchfield

Second Team
Michael Bledsoe, Elmwood
Kyle Ellis, Fairfield
Connor Goetten, Carrollton
Jarod Haskell, Warrensburg-Latham
Melinda Mathews, Clinton
Jonathan Montgomery, Southwestern (Piasa)
Max Moore, Keith Country Day
Ben Pearce, Auburn
David Stage, Fulton
Olivia Vander Bleek, Morrison
Jordan Villanueva, Central A&M

Class AA:
First Team
Thomas Birt, Wheaton North
Anton Karpovich, IMSA (Aurora)
Greg Krzywicki, Fenton (Bensenville)
Sabrina Lato, IMSA
Dylan Minarik, Belvidere North
Alex Pandya, Auburn (Rockford)
Ian Torres, Loyola Academy (Wilmette)
Morgan Venkus, Loyola Academy
Shreyas Vissapragada, Metea Valley (Aurora)
Tristan Willey, Macomb

Second Team
Jason Asher, Stevenson (Lincolnshire)
Arun Doogar, Centennial (Champaign)
Niranjan Jayanth, Stevenson
Ben Lewis, Fremd (Palatine)
Jackson Myers, Springfield
Evan Pandya, Auburn
Anand Poozhikunnel, Wheaton Warrensville South
Prerak Trivedi, Carbondale
Derek VanBriesen, Stillman Valley
James Zetterman, Carbondale

Thanks to David Adkins for overseeing the selection process.
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Reinstein
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

ether a go-go wrote: Second Team
Michael Bledsoe, Kewanee Wethersfield
I think the Michael Bledsoe referenced here is from Elmwood, not Kewanee Wethersfield.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
Stained Diviner
Auron

Brittany is correct. The above post has been fixed, and our website will be fixed momentarily.
David Reinstein
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

I think Greg's last name is misspelled.
James Zetterman

Stained Diviner
Auron

I think it's right.
David Reinstein
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

ether a go-go wrote:I think it's right.
Google agrees with you.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Oh, okay then. It would seem more easily pronounceable as 'Kryzwicki'.
Observation: both non-senior members of the first team have last initials of K.
Would anyone happen to know if Niranjan is graduating this year?
Also, is Jackson from Springfield a sophomore?
James Zetterman

No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

thyringe_supine wrote: Also, is Jackson from Springfield a sophomore?
He is a junior.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I think Naranjan graduates but Jason doesn't, I don't know about the rest of Stevenson.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Stained Diviner
Auron

You can now apply to be a 2013-14 IHSSBCA Student Liaison. The deadline is June 15. Student Liaisons participate as full members of our Steering Committee.
David Reinstein
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

HSNCT went pretty well. For a basic look:

Worst finish for an IL A team: Fenton, 4-6, 169th
Unless I missed something, they were also the only Illinois A team not to make the playoffs, as well as the only one to finish under .500. Belvidere North finished the prelims at 9-1, and Loyola of course finished highest overall at third, winning eight straight playoff matches. If only they had finished the prelims 7-3, I think they could've won it all, given how soundly they beat LASA. Macomb won the Small School division. Overall, I think we definitely maintained our reputation as arguably the toughest and most diverse quizbowl state out there.

EDIT: Sweet Jesus, Morgan, 52 negs?
James Zetterman

Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

thyringe_supine wrote:HSNCT went pretty well. For a basic look:

Unless I missed something, they were also the only Illinois A team not to make the playoffs, as well as the only one to finish under .500. Belvidere North finished the prelims at 9-1, and Loyola of course finished highest overall at third, winning eight straight playoff matches. If only they had finished the prelims 7-3, I think they could've won it all, given how soundly they beat LASA. Macomb won the Small School division. Overall, I think we definitely maintained our reputation as arguably the toughest and most diverse quizbowl state out there.

I'm all for touting the strength of quizbowl in the state I grew up in, but there's multiple things wrong with this post. Aside from apparently forgetting about the existence of Stillman Valley and Cumberland, Texas had more teams in the playoffs.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

thyringe_supine wrote: EDIT: Sweet Jesus, Morgan, 52 negs?
They got third, he must be doing SOMETHING right.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

thyringe_supine wrote:HSNCT went pretty well. For a basic look:

It should be noted that a commanding 70% of those negs were from the period when I was forced to play without my teammates. It should also be noted that Texas took 1st, 4th, and a T-5 spot, and that your rundown of Illinois teams should probably mention T-5 IMSA, who held Ladue closer than we did.
Morgan Venkus