Announcement: DAWES - NYU hosted@Columbia (summer 2013)

Old college threads.
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Announcement: DAWES - NYU hosted@Columbia (summer 2013)

Post by yogesh.raut »

Hi everyone,

First things first, despite my many years of playing this game, and fewer but still numerous years of writing and editing, I am a complete novice when it comes to the scheduling/organizing/promoting part of things. So please bear with me as I make rookie mistakes (and I am starting this process early so as to be able to correct them).

So here goes: We at the NYU are putting together a trash tournament, DAWES, to be held in the spring. I will serve as head editor. The questions will be written in the "good quizbowl" style (modeled by past Chicago Open trash tournaments edited by Andrew Yaphe and Michael Arnold and Mike Bentley's CULT), and using a distribution (adapted from one created by John Kilby for TrashMasters) balanced across both subject areas (Movies, TV, Music, Sports as Big 4; Trash Lit, Comics, Games, Misc as Little 4; no meta) and time periods (1/3 Classics, 1/3 Recent Past, 1/3 Contemporary).

The twist is that it is impossible to get rooms at NYU, so we are holding it at Columbia. The second twist is that Columbia can't get us rooms all day on Sundays.

So here are my queries:

A) Will I be lynched if I schedule the tournament for a Saturday?
B) Assuming the answer to A) is no, are either 3/30 or 4/6 acceptable to people? I did a scan of the main page of the announcements thread and didn't see anything in our neck of the woods on either of those dates, although I may have missed something.
C) If the Saturday thing really rankles, can anyone think of alternatives to Columbia on 3/30 or 4/6 that will still draw an audience?

Thanks!

EDIT: Now rescheduled for Summer 2013; more details to follow.
Last edited by yogesh.raut on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yogesh Raut
Washington State University
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Re: Announcement: Spring Trash Tournament in NYC

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Is this tournament named after Dawes, which we like and you should too?
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

Officially, it stands for "Delivering Astonishment and Wonder in Every Syllable."

But between you and me (and everyone else reading this), yes.
Yogesh Raut
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Yale plans to host an academic tournament on Saturday, March 30. We expect NYU to attend. More details to follow publicly once our room reservation office finalizes things with us.

Don't hold trash tournaments on Saturdays.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I do not think that it is a good idea for this tournament to occupy the same date as a real tournament that teams should be going to.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I don't see anything inherently wrong with a Saturday trash tournament if it is not booked against an academic tournament (college or HS) in the circuit's area.

Could this tournament just run in the summer (or be paired with an academic tournament in the summer)? You'd probably get a better field.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I agree with everything Mike said. If this is what you need to do and 4/6 is an open date on the calednar, I say go for it.

Providing whatever date you choose works for us, I imagine at least one team of Delaware and its alums would show.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
CaptainSwing
Lulu

Post by CaptainSwing »

You could combine your event with CAHOOTS, have the tournament played in May, and gain access to a nice bundle of other content too.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13924&p=254289#p254289
Max Henkel
Carleton '14
Writer, NAQT
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

Hmmm. Like I said, this is all new territory to me. I don't know where I'll be this summer, but if someone can point me to a solid host for that season (Chicago Open??? just spitballing), I would lean strongly toward that option.

In the meantime, I will pencil this in for 4/6 for now, with the possibility for mirrors at later events, including CAHOOTS. (Sorry, but I need a concrete target to motivate the other writers.) If anyone in the broad vicinity wants to hold an academic tournament that weekend, I'm open to coupling my tournament to theirs, or sending them the packets to do their own mirror so I won't be poaching any players.

I'm also open to coupling with any other academic tournaments held in the region in March or April, and I encourage anyone holding one to contact me if they are interested in hosting.

(On that subject, I will also note that while I have no idea how logistics work at Yale, and so I have no idea if this would be horribly inconvenient for them ... on the off chance that they can reserve some rooms at Yale on 3/31 -- the day after the academic tournament -- we at NYU could possibly run and staff the trash tournament by ourselves, using part of the registration fees to reimburse Yale for their trouble. Again, I'm just floating a balloon here. Feel free to slap it down.)
Yogesh Raut
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Announcement: DAWES - NYU hosted@Columbia, tentatively 4/6

Post by Cheynem »

I think David Seal's trash tournament has been tentatively attached to CO, but I'm not sure. It doesn't matter because I want the buzzer and I'm going to win, no matter what tournament.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

I'll bring a team consisting of me, an ex-quizbowler, and assorted randoms if this is on 4/6.
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

So anything on this?
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

eees theez happening
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

lasercats
Tidus

Re: Announcement: DAWES - NYU hosted@Columbia (summer 2013)

Post by lasercats »

If this is happening, I would love to join a team.
Maggie Larkin
Booker T. Washington '07
University of Oklahoma '11