Indiana 2012-2013

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Indiana 2012-2013

Post by Euler's Constant »

This will be the page for all Indiana discussions and tournament announcements for the 2012-2013. While I only count four active Indiana people on the board, hopefully that will change in the next year. So feel free to discuss Indiana and the greater quizbowl world to your heart's content.

The post below will be for all important dates, both tournaments other events.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Saint Joseph('s) High School (IN) '13
Yale '17
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Re: Indiana 2012-2013

Calendar

Indiana Tournaments: Green
Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky Tournaments: Blue
National Tournaments: Purple
Test Dates: Red
Other: Orange

September 8: ACT
September 15:
September 22:
September 29:

October 6: UIUC's Earlybird, SAT
October 13: White Cloud
October 20: MSU's Horatio Nelson Memorial Tournament (MSU/UD housewrite) http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/
October 27: Northwestern University Wake-Up Call Novice (NAQT A-121), ACT

November 3: ACF Fall at NIU (ACF Fall) http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/, Tippecanoe Academic Challenge XVII (NAQT A-121), SAT
November 10: North White Kick-off (NAQT A-119+Lightning) http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4385, Bowling Green Brave Falcon (NAQT A, possible date), New Trier Scobol Solo http://www.qbwiki.com/solo2012/ssss/reports_category.pl, Springfield Scobol Solo
November 17:
November 24:

December 1: Northmont (NAQT IS-120), Harvard Fall Mirror at Rockford Auburn (HFT), University of Michigan Autumn Classic (NAQT IS-120) http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1199/, SAT
December 8: Berrien Springs Swim n'Win Invitational (NAQT IS-118) http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4595, PORTA Frosh/Soph (NAQT A-119), ACT
December 15: Loyburn at Loyola (HSAPQ) http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/
December 22: (Winter Break for most), New Trier (GSAC) http://www.ihssbca.org/statistics/2012_ ... ndings.php
December 29: (Winter Break for most)

January 5: (Winter Break for most), Niles West Varsity Tournament (Norcross BDAT) http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/
January 12: Rockford Auburn Frosh/Soph and Novice, IMSANITY at Metea Valley (LIMSANITY) http://www.ihssbca.org/statistics/2013_ ... ndings.php
January 19: Loyola Ultima (LIST III) http://www.ihssbca.org/statistics/2013_ ... ndings.php, http://www.ihssbca.org/statistics/2013_ ... ndings.php, Michigan State's Rube Invitational (NAQT IS-122)
January 26: SAT

February 2: Culver Academies Invitational & Frosh/Soph Tournament (NAQT IS-124 and NAQT A-123 respectively) http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4383, http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4384, Greenville Comet
February 9: NHBB state at Culver http://www.historybowl.com/2012-2013-st ... iana-2013/, ACT
February 16:
February 23:Frosh/Soph State at North White (NAQT A-125) http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4386

March 2: Rotary State (NAQT IS-126), University of Kentucky Spring Championship (HSAPQ 32)
March 9: SAT
March 16: Michigan State's March Madness Invitational (NAQT IS-124)
March 23:
March 30:

April 6:
April 13: ACT
April 19-21: NHBB - Washington, DC
April 28: ATROPHY at NIU (BHSAT)

May 4: , SAT
May 11:
May 18: Midwest Championship at Northwest (ICT Div 2)
May 19: Wildcat at Northwestern (Prison Bowl)
May 25: HSNCT-Atlanta

June 1: SAT
June 8: PACE NSC-University of Maryland, ACT
June 15: NASAT-Ohio State University (Team Indiana only)
June 22:

Teams that have qualified for HNSCT:
Culver A (North White Kickoff, Michigan Autumn Classic, Swim n'Win, Culver Invitational)
Harrison A (North White Kickoff)
Harrison C (North White Kickoff)
North Miami A (North White Kickoff)
St. Joseph A (North White Kickoff, Swin n'Win, Culver Invitational)

Teams that have qualified for PACE NSC:
St. Joseph A (Horatio Nelson, Niles West BDAT)
Last edited by Euler's Constant on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Yale '17
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

You should mark UIUC's Earlybird, on October 13.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Other Illinois tournaments that would love to get Indiana teams:
10/27 Northwestern University Wake-Up Call Novice
11/10 New Trier and Springfield Scobol Solo
12/1 Harvard Fall Mirror at Rockford Auburn
12/8 PORTA Frosh/Soph (NAQT A)
12/22 New Trier (probably GSAC)
1/12 Rockford Auburn Frosh/Soph and Novice
1/19 Loyola Ultima
2/2 Greenville Comet
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

White Clouds anual tournament is on October 13th as well. It's on Michigan's west coast, so it's a good option for Indiana teams.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Since I'm bored and don't particularly feel like studying, I feel like this is the perfect time for me to begin a discussion with basically no one about the rather inconsequential state of Indiana.

1. St. Joseph A. With the loss of the "s" from our name we suddenly become a lean mean quizbowl playing machine, able to actually win non-league games. On a serious note we return the core of last year's team and we get a good addition in Davide from the JV team. We still have a moderately large hole in science but David does a lot to fill that and our music knowledge is a weak point but we worked to fix during the summer. We will play a lot out side of Indiana and should be the favorites to win Chip state as well as NAQT state but that depends on my hockey schedule, which will leave us short handed from mid November to early March. If we don't kill each other in anger we won't suck and might even find a way to 7-3 at HSNCT but that probably won't happen.

2. Culver A. They lost Andrew, one of the best players this state has had. That being said Blessman is a good coach and they know history, but they do have some major holes to fill and it will be interesting to find out who will become their leader. In anger after JV state John learns everything about the pancreas increasing his points per game by at least 1.00 which will win them a surprising number of games. They remain above Harrison because they actually play good quizbowl. Probably goes 5-5 at HSNCT.

3. Harrison A. Alex and Alice are gone. Alex was good at quite a few things but negged a lot. Alice knew Science. They do return Surahbi and Forester who will score points and do well. Surahbi will lock down the Indian subcontinent but they lose a lot of history and lit. Their refusal to travel outside of Indiana to play non Chip limits their improvement. They somehow win chip state when a lightning round category goes missing and it is replaced with "India". They make the playoffs at Chip Nationals.

4. Riley. They return their best player who I think is named david. They come in second in the our league and do very well all around as they find a way to travel more and improve.

Others, no real order.

Culver B. They are very nice people and they will learn stuff but not enough to win many games.

Penn. Linda is becoming a good player but they won't win much outside the league.

North white. Nicest coach and person in the state but too small of a school to ever get out of Culver's shadow.

St. Joseph C. Surprisingly better than our B team and will win the North White kick off. This might have something to do with the fact that I want to play a tournament solo.

Fishers. They have Usama and are cool but only play Chip so they don't improve much.

People from Indy: apparently a lot of people graduated so that leaves a lot of teams in a rebuilding mode
Last edited by Euler's Constant on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Yale '17
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

Hey Indiana! I was born in the Evansville area (would've gone to Mount Vernon High School) before I moved around at age 10. But now I'm back in the area for a co-op and am currently stationed in Indianapolis. I'll be here till August 10th and then I'll spend the fall semester back at Virginia Tech. In late winter (early February/late January?) I'll be returning to Indianapolis and will be looking to help with quizbowl anyway I can.

If you need a free-lance moderator/staffer for anything in Indiana about a 5 hour radius around Indianapolis in the Spring, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]. I'm also willing to coach/run practices for a team in the Indianapolis area in the evenings.
Brian Mongilio
Virginia Tech '16, Treasurer 2011-Present
Parkersburg South (WV) '11
NLiu
Lulu

Post by NLiu »

Nick it's a well known fact that I will be playing only JV next year thus enabling us to win all underclass tournaments but probably not half of the NAQT ones.
N. L.
St. Joseph High School
Tenure 2011-2012
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

As mentioned in the calendar already, NHBB Indiana will be at Culver on February 9.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
caug37
Kimahri

Post by caug37 »

On a serious note we return the core of last year's team and we get a good addition in David from the JV team. We still have a moderately large hole in science but David does a lot to fill that and our music knowledge is a weak point but we worked to fix during the summer
It's Davide. Also, Liam has been studying a lot of classical music and wants to make the team just on that. It's possible but we might need a couple more experts on Nietzsche and Norse Mythology.
Chris Agostino
"If you removed all the arteries, veins, & capillaries from a person's body, and tied them end-to-end...the person will die." ~NDT
Actor, Musician, Street Artist, Scientist, Germanic Deity
Saint Joseph High School 2013
something random!
Lulu

Post by something random! »

Indiana: only famous for their continued, mindless patronage of Chip Beale's Questions Unlimited...
Davide Behr
St. Joseph High School IN '14
Indiana University '18
Euler's Constant
Lulu

For those who might actually be paying attention to this thread: 1. I have added a few tournaments to the schedule that are close to Indiana 2. I have included results for tournaments that had participation from Indiana teams. If there are any results that I have missed feel free to tell me, and I'll add them.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Yale '17
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I know most teams will be going to Rotary States that day, but just in case anyone would be interested, Kentucky will be using hosting a tournament on March 2nd that we'd love to have Indiana teams at.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Thanks, St. Joe (without an 's) for getting this discussion going. First time today I am checking in with this string... Yes, I agree with you, I believe the order is right now is still

St. Joe
Culver
Harrison

With all due respect to Harrison, I predict a St. Joe-Culver final at Rotary State. Hopefully by then we can at least make it close- thus far you have outclassed us quite easily, but there is time left...
Phil Blessman- Culver Academies Head Quizbowl Coach
Euler's Constant
Lulu

pblessman wrote: Hopefully by then we can at least make it close- thus far you have outclassed us quite easily, but there is time left...
Well I'll be giving you guys a bit of help because I have to play in state hockey tournament the weekend of Rotary. That said Nolan, Davide, and Chris are now scoring most of our points anyways so I don't know how much of a difference that will make. ULTIMA and your invitational should give us a pretty good idea of how that will turn out.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Yale '17
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hey: what is Skill Bowl?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

Skill Bowl used to be one of the leagues. It's been defunct for a couple of years, and most of the schools were absorbed into the White River league.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Now that the last pyramidal tournament (Rotary) is over, I think it's a good time to recap the year so far the year/discuss teams/etc.

Good things:

There was a new tournament in Berrien Springs on NAQT questions. This is nice to see as it got a few new teams out to try NAQT but I don't know how many of them will continue/change over to good quizbowl. There were a few new teams most notably Chatard who put up pretty good power numbers and were young. If they keep it up they could be pretty good in a few years, and more importantly might be the foothold in central Indiana that good quizbowl has been lacking for some time now.

Bad things:

Lots of teams play Chip and won't even try pyramidal, this probably won't change soon but we can only hope.

Rankings:

1. Saint Joseph. With a full roster we've won every game we've played in the state this year, and otherwise we've only lost one game. We're much better on mACF almost constantly getting 23.5 ppb with a full squad, and while we only put up around 22 ppb on IS sets, we average over 8 powers a game. Besides myself, Nolan has proven himself time and again to be a star player and will no doubt wreck havoc on the state for the next two years, because of his deep History and English/American Lit knowledge and his willingness to work. Davide and Chris have also been useful at times and it wouldn't surprise me if they combined for over 30 ppg at HSNCT.

2. Culver. I'm reluctant to place them above Harrison as they haven't managed to beat them this year, but they've only played twice, barely losing on an A set, and recently getting beaten on a 16+lightning IS set. That said they have substantially better ppb and power stats. In my mind the biggest surprise in the state this year was Adam Freymiller. I don't know if it was that he was hidden behind Andrew, or that he went on a study binge, but he has become a force, especially in history, to the point where he won the History Bee. He's constantly proven himself capable of being be a top scorer, but I don't know how deep his knowledge really is as we haven't played on any harder sets. Besides Adam, Culver has quite a bit of younger talent that should allow them to grow. John returned giving a solid trash knowledge base, and Muriel, Claire, and Daniel are three solid sophomores (I think) who will challenge Nolan, especially if we can't find a good science player. While some of this can be attributed to Culver being a prep school, much of this is because Blessman keeps his kids and can get a core group of good players every year and convince them to get better.

3. Harrison. While they've beaten Culver twice they have far weaker stats overall, and even though they played us within 200 in the championship game we beat them by almost 400 early in the day at Rotary. Surahbi is good, but lacks in deep knowledge, putting up limited powers. They did have quite a few new faces at Rotary, and a few of them have some science knowledge. That said, while Ms. Schneider has had a very good program for a long time now, they haven't been exceptional since I've been playing, despite being Chip Beall National Champions two years ago. They'll likely remain at third for the foreseeable future with the arms race going on between St. Joe and Culver, and their unwillingness to play good quiz bowl against top teams, especially in Illinois and Michigan.

Others in no particular order

Riley. They won AA beating Clay twice in the tournament. Unfortunately that was probably the end of their season with Science Olympiad and other issues. While I think they were mostly seniors they seemed to be into it and their coach has got them to more tournaments especially in the last few years. However I assume that lack of funding/the very dysfunctional SBCSC will prevent them from moving to playing much more for a while at least.

Clay. While they came in second in AA they also played us the closest of any of our local league teams this year. They came to an out of state tournament which I found to be a surprise, and did moderately well. With their coach who seems really into it and a youngish team who was quite eager they could be good for some time to come. I know they return Noah who was solid, and maybe the two Noble kids but I don't know sure, but even Noah should be enough to keep them competitive. Same as with RIley about funding.

North Miami. Won A. They are good for a small school in Indiana. I'm pretty sure Dan will return next year and their coach is really into it, and given that this is their second year going to HSNCT they clearly have interest in getting better, and they might even qualify for the small school playoffs this year.

Fishers. They have Usama and seemed to have torn up the Indianapolis league, except for two games which I can't find an explanation for. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Chip state final between us and them, as they're alledgedly beasts at it, but as they do nothing else I have no idea of their real knowledge.

Other non-Chatard teams from Indy. You exist, but you don't check this board and play Chip exclusively. So far not as good as Fishers at Chip, but with Chip anything is possible.

Other things:

HSNCT: As of now three team at least are going this year which is good but one less than last year.
PACE: More than 1 team qualified for this!!! Still whether it be graduation or funding issues or other things, I don't think anyone is going, unfortunately.
Chip: It exists, lots of Indiana teams go, they do well, few people on this board care, even lesser should.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Yale '17
NLiu
Lulu

Post by NLiu »

As we look forward to next year's rankings I would like to project (at least in-state):

Culver
Harrison
St. Joe's

As Nick has stated Muriel, John, and Daniel are 3 young players whom Coach Blessman has managed to gather and convinced to specialize and actually improve. They already play very evenly with me on IS sets, and that's all they'll need to win Rotary or any other NAQT tournament.
Unfortunately, with the loss of Nick and Chris we lose most of the core of St. Joe's knowledge base and much of the motivational drive for improvement. Depending on how seriously we attempt to work over the summer we may be able to cultivate one or two feeble second players but quite honestly I believe that it will be a repeat of our 2011-2012 season: a one-man team with a mediocre leading scorer at best.
Although I have little respect for Harrison due to their continual patronage of Chip, the amount of General Knowledge, Geography, Current Events, and Trash thrown into NAQT events means that they will only need a few lucky breaks to outclass us next year.
N. L.
St. Joseph High School
Tenure 2011-2012